• Breaking News

    Wednesday, July 10, 2019

    Personal Finance 53 Homeless Woman of Wisconsin with no where to go

    Personal Finance 53 Homeless Woman of Wisconsin with no where to go


    53 Homeless Woman of Wisconsin with no where to go

    Posted: 10 Jul 2019 02:49 PM PDT

    Hello, my son told me to turn to the people of reddit for any help.

    I'm a 53 year old disabled homeless woman. Over two years ago I lost my job due to my health. Months later had open heart surgery that saved my life. A year later had a major heart-attack and a few months after had another heart-attack.

    I am on SSI and now SS but hardly enough to get a place to rent, food, utilities & meds, or even gas for a car.

    Find a place has been hard, since I have 2 fur babies, one is a 9 year old boxer mix and the other is a 3 year old Pit-bull mix. Not too many places take pit-bulls or large dogs. my pit is on the small side of the breed and my boxer is on the larger side of her breed. No re-homing for the girls; they are my babies and they keep me going.

    I have had little to no support from my siblings. Both parents are gone. They were my support. Before my dad died, I took care of him for 7 years. He had 2 strokes when he died he left the house to me but after losing my job i fell behind on the bills and lost the house. My siblings are upset and are not talking to me.

    I live in Wisconsin, I have my whole life. I don't know where to go for help or what to do.

    Thank you for reading this, it has helped just to write it down.

    I have had suicidal thoughts but thanks to 2 fur-babies and 2 friends, they have gone away.

    submitted by /u/Alphasmom214
    [link] [comments]

    $45,000 in credit card debt. I'm starting to feel like I'm always on the verge of passing out.

    Posted: 10 Jul 2019 06:07 PM PDT

    65% of the debt paid for my tuition, rent, medical bills and transportation. 35% I spent on food, household supplies, etc.

    Somewhat positives - the debt is the only bad thing on my financial record. My credit score used to be and would otherwise be over 800+ if the debt was paid off.

    I am also receiving my Bachelor's degree in 6 weeks. I have worked extremely and tirelessly hard to receive my education.

    I do work over 80 hours a week to pay my bills and debts. I am in a continuous process of applying for full-time salaried jobs.

    Am I fucked? Would I even be able to get a consolidation loan? Should I file for bankruptcy? I don't know what to do. I am not in the best health.

    submitted by /u/theyoungonee
    [link] [comments]

    Just turned 34 and not sure how I'm doing/what to do going forward

    Posted: 10 Jul 2019 11:36 AM PDT

    I recently had a birthday (34 years) and thought I would do a quick check up on where I'm at. After I got all the data I realized I have no idea if I'm in a good place or not. I have no trouble paying my bills or expenses and I save, but I don't really know where to go from here. Thought I would see if anyone here had some insight, feedback, or advice on performance and future.

    Stats are as follows:

    · $3,000 in checking account for rolling payments and day to day, stays pretty constant

    · $12,000 emergency savings (about 3 months of my take-home)

    · $2,000 emergency cash on hand

    · $10,000 invested but accessible (put $9000 in to mutual funds about 2 years ago, current status)

    · $3,000 in HSA, just started 18 months ago

    · $45,000 Roth IRA

    · $42,000 401K (10% withholding currently, got started a little later on my 401k)

    · 2016 bought a house for $180,000 currently owe $124,000 on it should be paid off in ~12-14 years with my extra payments

    · Owe $9,500 on my vehicle, will drive it for about 2-4 years after I pay it off depending on how it holds up

    · No student loans

    · No credit card or other debt

    I'm hoping I can just continue what I'm doing with saving and investing when able, just not sure how I stand for where I am currently.

    edit stuff I added in comments:

    Current home value is up to around $200,000. I didn't buy at the best time about 3-5 years earlier but I did OK.

    Vehicle is 0.9%, home is 3.75%, credit is excellent high 700s to 800 some months.

    Investment is all mutual funds 33% bonds 66% stocks mirroring domestic and international indexes.

    On "take-home" - I could be off maybe? I don't count any investment stuff in take-home so my health insurance, HSA, IRA, and 401k aren't counted in my take home. I just pretend it's not there.

    submitted by /u/Trees-Company
    [link] [comments]

    I am 22 with over 13K in savings but not sure whether to keep saving or do something with it?

    Posted: 10 Jul 2019 03:38 PM PDT

    I work a full time job and have been for 10 months. The job is 7 days a weeks for up to 6 weeks at a time until a break. I make salary and get paid weekly $800 (after tax: $693). This is the most I've ever had but get lost on what to do with it. I have been tracking every single expense for months and budgeting as best as I could. I'm just unsure if I should just keep saving and reach over 20K in just my savings account by the end of the year or do something now that will become beneficial for the future or help my money grow like invest. I pay $100 for my car insurance, $50 for cell service, $60 for WiFi and currently stay with parents rent free which I am super grateful for so I don't have too much bills. I have no debt at all and do not have a credit card as of yet. Any advice is seriously appreciated and would be helpful/considered.

    To add, I do have my own car although pretty old it's a 2005 Altima Maxima with over 140K miles on it. I'm leaning towards driving it till it breaks down completely as I'm inspired by people like Warren Buffet. It'll help me save a lot more without ever worrying about payments for the car like the newer models. As much as I almost did lean into getting a new car I've learned plenty which gave me new perspectives.

    submitted by /u/brainrecovery7
    [link] [comments]

    How much is too much for a bed?

    Posted: 10 Jul 2019 06:35 PM PDT

    I have a personal philosophy that if I invest in one area of life, it should be sleep because it's one thing I really look forward to no matter how my day is, and it is something I do for a good portion of my day every single day. I am moving into a new apartment, and I need to get a new mattress.

    I had injuries (tore my shoulder a few times, dislocated knee, and back/neck aches... all before I hit 20), so I want a good mattress to sleep on. I would rather spend a lot on one good mattress than to have to buy a second one because the first one isn't comfortable. A friend suggested I look into Purple Mattresses. After researching, I found four mattresses I liked, and for a queen bed: Casper retails at $1095, Original Purple is $999, Leesa is $995, and Saatva Classic is $1099.

    After taxes, rent, and various payments, my disposable income will come out to around $2200 a month. Is investing in a bed worth that much a good call? Should I go with the monthly financing option? Are there better alternatives? Thank you!

    submitted by /u/lolitsroo
    [link] [comments]

    How much is reasonable to spend on food and groceries for 2 people?

    Posted: 10 Jul 2019 05:57 AM PDT

    I live with my girlfriend and in total we spend about $1300 on groceries and food each month. It usually breaks down like this:

    • $1000 on groceries, which includes anything bought at a grocery store, like household supplies, pet supplies, cosmetics, etc

    • $300 on restaurants, we eat out every weekend usually for dinner and sometimes lunch.

    Looking at some other people's budgets it seems like this may be fairly high. Is this a reasonable amount to spend per month?

    submitted by /u/weixou
    [link] [comments]

    Mortgage Shopping Experience

    Posted: 10 Jul 2019 11:57 AM PDT

    Hi all,

    I wanted to take a minute to talk about my mortgage refinance experience.

    Quick back story: My wife and I bought our home for $280k in 2015. At the time, we thought that was a great deal, and we only got it for so cheap because it appraised at that level and we refused to pay more than it appraised for. In 2017, we secured an appraisal waiver for a refinance, out of 3.875% + PMI and into 3.75% without PMI; the appraisal waiver cited our home as worth $337k. Earlier this year, a neighbor sold his essentially-the-same home (same footprint, one fewer bathroom, but with a pool and a garage) for $400k.

    On a whim, I started looking into another refinance. I initially found a loan for the $247k we owe on our home at 3.375%, for $2,204 in fees, plus $2k for the settlement/title. $4,200 to shave off 0.375% looked like a winner within just a couple years, so we were going to go for it.

    But then, I thought hey, why not shop around? The initial company quoted me a buy-down to 3.25%, for a total of ~$4,500 in loan costs (plus the $2k for settlement), but then I got a quote from another company, which offered 3.25% for $3,000.

    I still thought I could do better, so I went to another company and got quoted at 3.25% for a total of $1,200 in loan costs.

    Finally, I had the idea to roll my student loans (currently ~$26k remaining at 3.75%) into the mortgage, and I locked in at 3.25% for $2,300 in loan costs.

    By rolling my student loan into my mortgage and refinancing into a rate 0.5% lower than my current mortgage rate, I'll be able to invest hundreds extra per month into the market, which, if my math works out, will allow me to save more than $100,000 extra (in today's dollars) over the life of the loan than if I kept things as-is.

    According to Freddie Mac, fewer than half of mortgage applicants shop around, and shopping has a direct and significant impact on the amount that borrowers ultimately pay for their loans. Just getting multiple estimates helps, but the real key for me was to go through the whole process - have them run my credit and create a formal loan estimate - and leverage that estimate to drive down the price at another lender. All of the lenders I spoke to were willing to look at beating their competitors' offers; the offer I ultimately took saved me a bundle, and a different lender has a policy of offering $1,000 if they're unable to beat their competitors' offers, so we'll get an extra $1,000 as long as we close at the same rate, amount, and term as was estimated (I question whether this is legit, but if it's not, I'm not going to sweat it).

    The lesson - shop around; for relatively little effort, you can put yourself into a seriously advantageous position!

    submitted by /u/cjw_5110
    [link] [comments]

    How much is eliminating 70mile/80mins a day of commuting worth in house cost?

    Posted: 10 Jul 2019 10:10 AM PDT

    As the title states. I need to commute 35-45mins a day (traffic depending, if theres snow or an accident it has taken as long as 2hrs) to my job. My current house is about 200k. The same house, near my work would be 500k. Is eliminating the commute entirely worth the extra 300k of mortgage (assuming I can afford either, and houses are about the same)??

    What are peoples thoughts? How much more would you spend for your current exact house if you could pick it up and move it walking distance from your work?

    tl:dr; if someone took your exact house, and you exact lot that your house is on, and magically cloned it to a place right by work (walking distance), how much is the different between what you would pay for the close to work house and how much you could sell your current house for?

    submitted by /u/m_d_f_l_c
    [link] [comments]

    My dad offered to match my savings account once I hit 21 to own a property as an investment.

    Posted: 10 Jul 2019 06:10 PM PDT

    I am 19 years old. I currently have an internship that pays little over $2k a month, but once summer is over, it will be cut in half to $1k a month during college. I don't have very much expenses so I want to save most of it and possibly invest in it as well. My dad offered that if I save all of that money, put it in a savings account or even CD account where it produces interest, he said that he will match whatever is in my savings account and help me own my house at 21 years old. And I can use that house however I want. Either live in it myself, rent it out as more income, or whatever. I am extremely new to this, and I don't know what the best option is.

    My current situation is that I live with my parents very comfortable. I have little to pay besides my personal expenses of going out. If I do this deal, my parents will definitely support me still. Give me money in order to go out with friends, etc. They did this throughout my whole life before I got this internship. Yes I am appreciative of them giving me money to go out at least but I never liked it. I just wanted to financial freedom to buy whatever I want, do whatever I want with the money, etc. If I do this deal, I personally feel like they have more control of me, and I don't want that.

    What are my options? What is the best way to do this?

    TLDR: My dad offered to match my savings account once I hit 21 to own a property as an investment. Income is around $15k a year. Also included is an allowance but with much less financial independence.

    submitted by /u/SnowiNinja
    [link] [comments]

    I’m 17 and about to run into 10k, I don’t know what to do.

    Posted: 10 Jul 2019 09:27 AM PDT

    I posted this on my main account but deleted it because it made me uncomfortable but I'd still appreciate advice.

    Ok so some explanation. I've been working a couple jobs for a couple years and saving up. I saved up little over 2k. I'm about to start college, my tuition is a lot less than the financial aid + scholarship money I'm about to receive. (To cut out all the math, with all costs included, I will pocket about 8k). This plus my savings will bring us at little over 10k. Now, I don't have a car, I don't have any debt or anything really since I'm still a minor. My idea was to pay off our phones (about 1.2k) to help out my mom with the phone bill (will give her about 120$ extra a month). But other than that I'm lost, my family isn't financially smart so no asking for advice from them. Saving it towards my masters was also an option but I don't know if that would be the wisest idea as that's only coming in like 7 years.

    (Hope this all makes sense. Tuition is 2.7k, financial aid money is 6k, grant money is 2k, scholarship money is 2.8k, savings is 2k)

    Also I'm from Europe and don't really know how credit works (ive lived in Florida for some time) so if anybody as info on that I appreciate it, it's also worth mentioning I've never seen this much money before, much less think of owning it.

    Edit: I feel like I should be more specific and say that most of the money is coming from fafsa and a Florida state grant (the 8k), the money that comes from this is mine to keep (after tuition and books and etc). I also received a college sponsored scholarship (2k), that money is not mine to keep but it will pay for my tuition so it won't be sitting in a school bank account.

    submitted by /u/idrlikethis
    [link] [comments]

    Should I pay my mortgage aggressively to eliminate PMI?

    Posted: 10 Jul 2019 07:43 PM PDT

    My house costed me $380000, I put 10% down and am currently paying 3.375% interest and $48 PMI per month. I was initially planning to aggressively pay down the mortgage so I can eliminate PMI but given the rates that I have, I don't think it makes sense to me to pay more than the regular minimum payment, as I feel like I could get more out of just investing the rest of the amount elsewhere.

    I need a second opinion on this, may be I am overlooking something. Please advise.

    submitted by /u/Pradeepscorpio
    [link] [comments]

    Be Cautious with Real Estate Fund Groups -- Not shady, but Withdrawl process VERY long

    Posted: 10 Jul 2019 10:27 AM PDT

    I'll give the cliffs notes to spare everyone. I invested some money with a real estate funds group online a year ago. Noticed the monthly returns started to dip, so I inquired about withdrawing some of my funds. Was informed, I could not do so until my funds had been in the account for 1 year. This milestone was in April, so I reached back out and filled out the forms to withdraw, and then been told that withdrawls only happen at the end of the quarter and is dependent on the available funds they have.

    It's Mid-July now, and I just received my first partial withdrawl of just 25% of my overall funds. And I've been told the next opportunity for reimbursement will not occur until October (not guarantee of even how much I'll receive).

    This was my first experience with a real estate fund group, but I'm a bit shocked by how long/slow the withdrawl process is considering i didn't invest a TON of money. Is it the norm?

    submitted by /u/shadymg9
    [link] [comments]

    Should I make an offer on this condo?

    Posted: 10 Jul 2019 06:55 PM PDT

    Long time lurker here. I've been thinking about whether or not I should start looking and buying a condo in my area. I found one I really liked and the listing price is around $450k. Below is my basic info

    27M earning about 120k a year living in the Bay Area. About 110k in saving accounts and 45k in retirement/broker accounts.

    Current monthly rent is ~$1900 with about $800-$1k of additional monthly expense

    Would it be safe If I am to offer the listing price with $90k down? I know I also have to factor in the closing cost, which is typically another 10-15k. Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/serybandi
    [link] [comments]

    When to start paying off student loans?

    Posted: 10 Jul 2019 05:53 AM PDT

    I have over $200k in student loan debt and earn about $64k a year before taxes. In a few years my income should be about $200k a year.

    Should I be trying to make more than minimum payments now? I can be more aggressive but it feels like I will hardly make a dent anyway. What do you think about waiting a few years before starting to aggressively attack it once my income is higher?

    Instead of paying off loans (5.8% interest) I've been putting money into my 401k which should be earning about 7% and been trying to build an emergency fund

    submitted by /u/draxxthemsklounts
    [link] [comments]

    When your side business turns into a full-time small business, and ten years later it tanks...

    Posted: 10 Jul 2019 08:11 AM PDT

    While both working full-time, we started a side business 11 years ago (pet skin products). I quit my job to run it full-time because of the huge response and when my husband's company closed the office he was working in, we both ran the business full-time and started doing more advertising. We were able to live fairly comfortably paying our bills. Fast forward 9 years; with the uptick of pet skin products (competition), and even with signing on to sell through one of the biggest online pet product retailers, business dropped so dramatically that I started a vacation rental cleaning company that morphed into property management/concierge services. That dropped dramatically with the new short term rental laws in Vegas.

    I then got a job at a grocery store while my husband continues to run the pet product business and vacation rental concierge business. Still not enough money. My sister who is disabled lives with us and pays $800 per month, my job (part-time) might net $1200 per month, the concierge business $600 per month; plus we moved to a less expensive rental home ($1850 per month). We had to stop paying health insurance because it was almost $1800 per month for two of us, and we'll have to turn in our leased vehicle in two months because we can't afford two car payments and two insurance payments, so we'll have one car for the first time,...fine, we'll work with that. We can't pay any of our credit card bills, so my husband will soon file bankruptcy. We can't pay $10,000 for the $1.0M liability insurance that the online retailer requires us to have, so I'm not sure what will happen there. I am looking for a higher paying full-time job and my husband has tried but can't even get interviews because he is almost 60. We buy only the necessary groceries and nothing else.

    WTH does a person have to do to survive these days? We have a cracked windshield we can't afford to fix right now, no frivolous things like pet grooming salons, dental appointments (lol...frivolous), going out to eat,...You get the picture. Any comments, advice, suggestions are welcome.

    submitted by /u/vegasMiki
    [link] [comments]

    $4000 for a little car scratch. Fraud??

    Posted: 10 Jul 2019 07:45 PM PDT

    I posted on multiple forums, I need more insight on my situation since I'm not an expert on these issues.

    On my high school graduation, I tried to park in a tight spot with my SUV, and ended up scratching a old gray Honda Civic, my right passenger side touching there left driver side, both front and rear door. they were not in the car, but they saw the accident. I don't know much how cars work regarding cost, but scratch is barely noticeable. Honestly if it was the opposite way around, I would have easily let the guy go, that's how minimal the damage was. The guy got an estimate on his car at a local shop and it was $910, he wanted $910 out of pocket money .Keep in mind however that he had a previous bumper damage (I didn't do obviously). I don't know how estimates work exactly, but he sent the estimate to me and it included the bumper, the scratch, and his roof, and that I assumed is why it's expensive. Told him I couldn't afford that, and told him he could put a claim on my insurance. Told my insurane everything. Couple weeks later, I get another call, the guy got another estimate with my USAA insurance, and they say it's $4,000 and that doesn't include the rental, they rented a car, it could easily be over $5000. My insurance only covers $5000 and under. Again, I don't know how cost work, but no way in hell is the damage $4000 even with labor work, etc. They called My brother to sign a thing where their insurance gets to look at our policy limit. I just asked the insurance to send the estimate and the pictures they took. $4000, for a little fucking scratch. How can this be possible? Could there be fraud involved? Does someone have a similar experience with USAA? Something is very fishy here that I can't pinpoint, my gut is telling me somethings wrong.

    My dad through a fit with me, and went through a huge lecture how easily they can fraud you, Im not sure if he's right or wrong, since it's USAA, but after doing my own research, it's bad.

    Again. I've never in a million years heard of a scratch, let's say labor too, equaling 4,000+ dollars. Even the deepest scratch possible, does not reach $1000.

    submitted by /u/tommymfturner
    [link] [comments]

    I am about to give up on my admission to top school and work for a year to save so I can struggle less with tuition. I need advice!

    Posted: 10 Jul 2019 07:23 PM PDT

    Hello everyone,

    I apologize for any grammar/spelling mistake.

    As the title says, I am about to give up on my dream school (also in top #3 in the country) because I simply can't afford that, and loans are no option due to me being international.

    Since I'm international, you can imagine that tuition plus expenses are around 60K. I am a transfer student so that's about 120K to graduate. I faced financial hardship and last year I was relying on myself with jobs on campuses to finish my last semester at a cc. Now I got this amazing opportunity but I can't take it.

    *I technically could but the only bank that is willing to maybe loan me asks for interest rate of 13.99% and in school-interest payments. That's just bananas. After discount it will still be 12.70%

    Since I have no co-signer (no family here), regular loans are not an option for me. Federal loans at all. Neither FAFSA.

    After crying my soul out and trying absolutely everything on my hand, I came to the conclusion that I need to take a gap year, work under permission and reapply to everywhere, this time even bigger list of universities.

    Am I doing the right step? Is a top school in Business worth a loan of 50K at 13.99% interest? That's just one year, I would still need to figure out second year.

    I thought of applying to scholarships and look for donors help for second year, but scholarship research and applying is big time consuming and studying+working+applying+worrying about finances.... I don't think I can pull through.

    Maybe I'm afraid and should trust myself more? I am totally torn between what to do.

    If I go a gap year and work, can I aim for a job that pays around +35K with associate degree? I have a strong academic record and versatile resume. My plan is to live absolutely frugal and save the most. I aim to save at least $10,000.

    That way when I go back to school, even if I need to go for a loan, I have already savings. Right now I don't have. I am on a survival mode. And I really aim to get at least one offer from school where I get a good scholarship or maybe a full ride(I got 25K in one private school, but they were asking me to still contribute about $20K, and I still couldn't).

    Any advice? Insight? Thoughts?

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/IBStudent8
    [link] [comments]

    Charged for IUD that insurance said would be covered and on top of that IUD fell out!

    Posted: 10 Jul 2019 04:36 PM PDT

    I went to the Doctor to get an IUD and the nurse told me prior to insertion that the IUD was completely covered by my insurance. I got the insert and two weeks later it fell 1/2 way out so my Doctor had it removed and confirmed it was defective. Shortly after, I received a bill for $1750.00 for the IUD and insertion costs. In total shock I called my Doctor's office and they assured me I WAS in network and the procedure WAS covered.

    &nbsp

    Next, I got a hold of my insurance through their hotline and got the same feed back "Yes you are covered and in network" they suggested I file a claim. A claim was filed and I found out a few days later that it was denied.

    &nbsp

    The insurance representative told me my next step was to hand write a letter to Anthem BCBS explaining the situation and it could take up to 45 days. In the mean time I just received a final notice for my bill and I'm stuck because not paying it could damage my good credit.

    &nbsp

    I have no clue what to do and feel like I have exhausted all possibilities of getting this thing resolved. Should I hire an attorney? Should I keep calling them? Any help is greatly appreciated!

    EDIT: This is great advice and very helpful and why I love the people of Reddit so much. Thanks everyone!

    submitted by /u/VannaWhitesButthole2
    [link] [comments]

    First time financing a car

    Posted: 10 Jul 2019 05:40 PM PDT

    Hi, some of you may remember me from my post about my car being totaled out by insurance. Original Post: https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/c9tx69/insurance_totaled_my_car_what_can_i_do_to_keep_it/

    Unfortunately my old car can't be saved and its getting a lot more problems after the accident. So i'm going to have a get a new car altogether. I went to a dealership today and was looking at a 2015 ford focus for $9,500 with low mileage. All is good with it except i'll have a high monthly car note of $255. The dealership is willing to work with me but i'll have a high interest rate. My question is should i get this car with 72 month payments and build my credit or should i look for something else? I can afford the car payments but its the high interest rate that makes me wonder if it's even worth it. This will be my first time buying a car and I have no credit and no credit unions won't give me a loan unless i have a cosigner.

    Tl;dr: I want to buy this car but interest rate is too high and wondering if its worth buying or not.

    submitted by /u/Tee1999
    [link] [comments]

    Going through a(nother) major life change, wanted advice on how we're doing.

    Posted: 10 Jul 2019 09:02 PM PDT

    So my wife and I are expecting our third child, which will make 3 kids under age 4. We've relocated across the country recently and have settled in to normal life, so we've got a good handle on our expenses. No issues with making our bill payments, and we're cash flow positive each month.

    Account Statuses:

    Assets

    • Cash on hand: $53k - Most of this is unallocated leftover from previous house sale.
    • HSA: $10.5k
    • 401k: $216k
    • Roth: $7k
    • Brokerage: $42k
    • Kids 529s: $5k
    • House: $260k

    Liabilities

    • Credit Cards: $4k - Balance is paid off every month on two cards.
    • Mortgage: $230k - High, but just bought our new house.

    Budgeting:

    Fixed Monthly Assets

    • Net Income: $10.7k
    • 401k Contributions: $2k
    • HSA Contributions: $400

    Fixed Monthly Liabilities

    • Daycare: $2100
    • Mortgage: $1900
    • Car: $450 - Vehicle is a lease for my wife. My car is paid off.
    • Auto Insurance: $200
    • Cell Phones: $200
    • Cable: $160
    • Utilities: $150
    • 529 Contributions: $600

    Daycare is expected to go up to a whopping $3300 come Jan 2020. The wife and I are looking into alternatives for that.

    We know things are going to get crazy with #3 coming. We'll be way over our heads family wise, just want to make sure we aren't going to be over our heads financially.

    submitted by /u/astrobills
    [link] [comments]

    I have been unable to find the answer, but will my life insurance kick in if I fall into psychosis?

    Posted: 10 Jul 2019 06:46 PM PDT

    or worse, if my insurance company finds out, can they cancel my policy?

    I recently discovered that I have bipolar 1, and can have manic breaks or fall into permanent psychosis, and would be unable to provide for my family. Mentally I would not be myself anymore, just a shell, would my life insurance still kick in here? Would involving an attorney help?

    Thank you for any advice!

    submitted by /u/Thethirdtoken
    [link] [comments]

    Not awarded enough financial aid... what now?

    Posted: 10 Jul 2019 08:55 PM PDT

    Warning: Long

    I am originally from out of state and have been living in Washington for 18 months with my boyfriend and we rent an apartment..

    I moved out here to eventually attend University for freshman year, and soon realized that it is a state law for freshman to dorm, so instead I switched to my Universities online program so I wouldn't have to dorm. Well, I completed my freshman year and I wanted to switch back to campus now that I dont have to dorm.

    Note: When I switched to online I lost all of my scholarships that I had. (At least I ended up saving $14,000 overall on tuition though, because online was cheaper)

    Now I'm going to be beginning my sophomore year.

    Out of state Tuition and mandatory fees is ~$27,000

    Since I have lived here for 18+ months and not originally for school I should be able to be considered a resident.

    I applied for residency through my school to try and get in-state tuition (~$12,000).

    I was denied because I got my Washington Drivers License 1 month after the cut off date.

    They did tell me however, if I reapplied for residency for Spring2020 term I would be accepted, just not for Fall2019.

    Now I don't know how to afford school.

    I was only awarded $7,402 in fiancial aid, and I was awarded 0 scholarships (trust me, I applied, not many options for a white, straight, non-computer science, sophomore girl, with absolutely no disabilities or problems with my family)

    My parents cannot will not support me through school or with loans.

    I can't complete my degree online because its not offered. I switched from what degree I originally started online with, to Philosophy pre-law.

    These seem like my only options:

    1) Don't attend school Fall2019, and wait until I can be considered a resident for Spring2020 and get cheaper schooling

    Which I REALLY don't want to do, I don't want to graduate late :/

    2) Only take 1 three-credit class for ~$3,800 to stay enrolled and at least complete ONE class...

    3) Take out a private loan through lovely SallieMae (which I used last year) for approximately $19,000 to cover the entire academic year, and instantly repay any 'extra' I have if I get considered a resident for Spring2020.

    Which I REALLY REALLY don't want to do, considering the deadly high interest rate of... 12%!!!

    3) Take out a private loan through SallieMae for approximately $9,000 to cover Fall2019 and then reapply for a private loan in Spring2020 to cover the rest after residency has been applied.

    ——

    I'd prefer to have the lowest amount taken out through a private loan as possible... I'm currently paying off the interest on my current student loans, even though I don't have to, to try and keep the overall repayment cost down.

    What do you guys think is the most financially suitable option? Other options/directions are welcome!

    Thank you for your time!!! I'll be happy to answer any additional questions you may have.

    submitted by /u/those_yellow_things
    [link] [comments]

    Wife and I are $40k in credit card debt after moving, and feel like we are barely scraping by every month.

    Posted: 10 Jul 2019 08:52 PM PDT

    We both make about $40k a year each, but it seems like we are always running out of money a week or more before we get paid. Our credit really took a hit since we were working on paying off our wedding and then unexpectedly had to move half way across the country, and we ended maxing out all our cards to live on until I found my job. We're debating working with a debt management program to bring our monthly credit card payments down to $600 a month from almost $1200. I know this will just hurt our credit score more, but I feel like our credit will tank in the time it takes to pay it off anyway. Anyone have better advice or experience working with this?

    submitted by /u/Organizedchaos90
    [link] [comments]

    Should I leave equity on the table for better personal/quality of life?

    Posted: 10 Jul 2019 08:35 PM PDT

    Hi Reddit.

    I need some advice, badly. I am at a crossroads and everyone keeps telling me different things.

    I have been at my current job for five years. It's a startup that was acquired. I have equity that could be worth nothing...or 2 million+ dollars...in three years. There's a big "if" here. There's no guarantee. Right now things are going really well, but tech is volatile. Things could turn, fast. The company could tank, or just stop growing, and my shares would be worth nothing, a little, or a lot. It all depends on what happens in the next three years.

    Here's the issue. I am so burnt out from living in this city, and so burnt out from my job. My coworkers are great, but the CEO is (I think) a sociopath who makes coming to work downright scary sometimes. People are fired left and right with little reason. Most of the perks that were awarded us when I started working here have been stripped, leaving us with a very cold, corporate environment. I rarely get days off, and when I am off, I am glued to my phone. I used to love coming to work. Things have been bad for the last two years, and almost unbearable for the last six months.

    Now onto my personal life...I want to move somewhere cheaper, with better weather, closer to my family. I want to find a partner. I am currently single, as this job has taken up almost all of my time and energy. This was okay when I started, but my priorities have shifted. I want to get married at some point in the near future. I feel the clock ticking. I do not want to raise a family in this city. I do not relate to the men in this city. I have become so depressed living here (and I am so busy with work) that I live solely on takeout. Dishes are piled in my sink, my apartment is a mess. I have no life outside of work and therapy and the occasional happy hour with my friends.

    So, my question is, would it be crazy to leave that equity on the table and find a new job? Help. I am so conflicted. I know three years isn't a long time, but it feels like forever at this juncture in my life where I want something more.

    tldr: do I leave equity on the table for a better quality of life?

    submitted by /u/stripedblanket5
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment