• Breaking News

    Monday, July 1, 2019

    NooB Monday! - (July 01, 2019) Entrepreneur

    NooB Monday! - (July 01, 2019) Entrepreneur


    NooB Monday! - (July 01, 2019)

    Posted: 01 Jul 2019 06:20 AM PDT

    If you don't have enough comment karma here's where we can help.

    Everyone starts somewhere and to post in /r/Entrepreneur this is the best place. Subscribers please understand these are new posters and not familiar with our sub. Newcomers welcome! Be sure to vote on things that help you. Search the sub a bit before you post. The answers may already be here.

    Since this thread can fill up quickly, consider sorting the comments by "new" (instead of "best" or "top") to see the newest posts.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    You never know when you're going to get your big break..

    Posted: 01 Jul 2019 05:02 AM PDT

    I'll keep this short:

    I started Scorpia Prints a few months ago and sales have been slow. I was even thinking of giving up a few days ago because I have a lot going on in my life right now. You know the usual voices in your head that keep telling you to give up, keep telling you that your idea is stupid etc. Well I was feeling pretty down.

    And then all of a sudden, this Saturday evening, my website and a poster I created was featured on the front page of a huge sports site in the UK. This drove a lot of traffic to my website and sales were good.

    How did I get this break? Well, about a month back I had cold emailed 150+ journalists about my posters, and only about 1-2 responded. I thought they'd forget about my website but apparently not -- they covered it!

    Moral of the story: You never know when your hardwork will pay off. I haven't done shit yet, and this is a very little event, but for me, it's huge. It's going to keep me going for now :)

    submitted by /u/ibsurvivors
    [link] [comments]

    I invested $80 in a snowblower yesterday in 91 degree heat

    Posted: 01 Jul 2019 08:52 AM PDT

    You read that right, I bought a used snowblower in the middle of summer. Why?

    There are 2 categories of products that have major supply vs demand swings every year: College textbooks and outdoor power equipment. Buying these items in off peak season and reselling them for double or triple your money 6 months later, is one of the best investments you can make with less than $500.

    Think about it, when it's freezing outside and you search lawnmower on Craigslist, how desperate do you think that seller is to take an offer?

    So I can flip this snowblower in a few months and triple my money or I can use it and get my money back in 1 snow storm.

    submitted by /u/trader644
    [link] [comments]

    Dealing with Business Burn Out

    Posted: 01 Jul 2019 09:55 AM PDT

    So I've been suffering from the worst burn out and stress over the past 6 months. It had effected my relationships, mental capacity/psyche and emotional well-being. As a background, I own and manage a multi office/multi attorney firm. I've been trying to get out of the business (unsuccessfully) for years. Not ready to retire, I thought that I had to have a replacement business to move into before transitioning out of the firm. I started out taking on some real estate development projects. Ground up builds in a few different developments comprised of about $20mil in total projects. Then I was given the opportunity to take over the management/operations of a $200mil year private equity firm. I thought, "what the hell, I can do all." Boy was I wrong.

    The stress juggling all which was turning out to be 3 full time jobs drove me to a breaking point. Just running around angry trying to put out fires but not doing a good job at anything. Basically hit the breaking point and took a hard look at what I'm doing and WHY. I have learned so much through my journey since it began around March. My purpose in writing this is simply to share what tricks and tips I've learned for anyone else suffering from burn-out or making major life choices.

    My first lesson on my journey was that I was basically going through a mid-life crisis. However, a mid-life crisis doesn't need to be a negative event. What I learned is how in the first part of our life, we're all focused on pleasing others. That may include parents, teachers, bosses, spouses, girl/boy friends, friends, etc... We become who we are initially by meeting the expectations of others. However, these expectations of others don't necessitate a peace or happiness for ourselves.

    Happiness for ourselves comes from a transition in life recognizing that we really should be focusing our limited time in life on our internal joy. We may have met all expectations of others professionally, financially, or socially but it's not what makes us happy to our core.

    Frankly I had been unhappy in the law firm forever. Hell, the only reason I became an attorney was meeting other's expectations of success and what that means. I now recognize that doing the private equity and property development was nothing more than getting a new girlfriend or lambo as what can happen in a mid-life crisis. I thought it would bring the peace/happiness but only added to the frustration.

    I found that I need to find my calling. I love entrepreneurship and starting businesses and am really good at it. So I'll definitely stay in the business world but we'll see where this path takes me.

    After recognizing this period of transition, I know that the most important thing is at the end of the day to be happy. Happy with oneself; happy with family/friends; and happy with life's ambition. At the end of the day, this one principal is the most important thing. There is actually a field of study on happiness called positive psychology. I read The Happiness Advantage to provide some tips and practices to help guide out being towards maximizing the possibility of happiness. I'm trying to institute and remember all of the below to create the happiness habits that should lead to a better contentment with business. The big points to note were:

    Your business should be your calling - If you're in the business just to make money or to meet the expectations of others, you will eventually hit a point of dissatisfaction, burn-out or failure (even in success). There must be a greater purpose. Working for the point of a profit only is an empty pursuit.

    Focus on the Positive - It is so easy to get wrapped up into the negatives and focusing on solving the problem or fixing the ... revenue loss, employee replacement, AR, client issues, delivery delays, etc. etc. etc. We only have mental space for so much and a focus on the negative creates a negative existence. Spend time each day purposefully looking forward the positives, future plans, past successes, replicating what is working, etc... As an ongoing exercise, I start the day now with writing down three good things from the day before. It forces time taken to contemplate the good and starts the day off on a high point.

    Culture makes a difference - How do your employees interact? Helpful team oriented growth or the take down others to get ahead. Unfortunately in the legal field, it is full of attorneys fighting, positioning wins, trying to climb the ladder by getting ahead of others (rather than helping all grow). Most law firms of any size are fraught with negative cultures from the top down. There is a focus on the all powerful billable hour and the basic negativity of an job looking for negativity, problems and fights makes culture an unfortunate victim of the goal. Getting rid of the office terrorists is the first step towards creating a positive culture.

    Connect with Friends/Family - When times are the toughest and our natural reaction is to focus on the problems/issues, it's the most important time to connect with those that care. Remember how much larger and longer your life is than todays problem and importance of your loved ones. The current problem is nothing more than that, "current" and will pass with time or effort. However, hyper focus also limits your scope of analysis and ability to consider all options. Taking the time with family/friends can literally create more options and potential to handle the current issue than staying unhealthily focused on the issue.

    Finally to work through the burn-out creating new positive and healthy habits for wellbeing is so important for getting into a new headspace that can continue past a weekend "personal health" retreat.

    What are some good habits to institute: * Stay Active - Exercise, sports, biking, etc... adding something every day even if one of those 10 minute trainer videos. Everyone should have at least 10 minutes. * Outdoors - We're constantly surrounded by computers, TVs, cells (I.e, blue light). Connect with nature. See how much larger the world is compared to the "office". * Start the Day Positive - what are the 3 good things from the day before * Eat well - Fast food is just as quick grabbing a pre-made salad at the grocery store. Stay away from the fast food burger joints to fill space. Try new foods. Order more healthy at restaurants. This will start to detox the body and start putting yourself into a new positive space. * Limit Drinking - As fun as it can be, it's still a depressant and skews emotional responses. If you're not in a good headspace, drinking simply doesn't help and may (but not definitely) hurt. It is surprising the first time going out with friends and mixing up drinks with mocktails and realizing that no one really cares. * Start Meetings with Positives - Start all meetings on a positive note. What good is going on in the business. If the meeting has to deal with problems, create a compliment sandwich. Start positive, deal with problems, end on a positive note.

    A new habit does not come all at once. Slipping shouldn't be considered a failure. It's just baby steps towards a healthier lifestyle. If you have an unhealthy habit (drinking, cheating, fighting, shopping, etc...), realize that the habit is filling some personal need. You'll need to replace the action with something that will fill that same personal need. Just try and cause it to be a healthy positive action/habit.

    As ridiculous as this all sounds, it's now been about 3 months and the burn-out has nearly passed. Not perfect but getting better. The new mindset has been setting in and really helping. Got rid of the energy drains and re-energized to focus on success with a new outlook and energy level. This can sound ridiculous in very little has to do with dealing with the source of burn-out (I.e, the business). However, taking care of yourself actually accomplishes the same to allow us all to keep on swimming.

    Good luck to all in similar situations!

    submitted by /u/nevernate
    [link] [comments]

    $5k/mo as a financial advisor [side hustle]

    Posted: 01 Jul 2019 01:23 PM PDT

    Hey - Pat from StarterStory.com here with another interview.

    Today's interview is with Ellie of Money Therapy , a business that does financial consulting.

    Some stats:

    • Product: Financial consulting.
    • Revenue/mo: $5,000
    • Started: December 2017
    • Location: Washington, DC
    • Founders: 1
    • Employees: 1

    Hello! Who are you and what business did you start?

    Hi! I'm Ellie and I'm the founder of Money Therapy Consulting. Money Therapy Consulting is an online consulting company that educates individuals and founders about their finances. In addition to the consulting, I host seminars, write informative articles, and curate personalized financial plans for businesses and individuals

    So, what does Money Therapy really do? Money Therapy sells peace, not financial advice. When someone leaves the conversation, they feel assured they are taking the appropriate steps with their money.

    My main service is my one-on-one sessions. During those sessions, we speak about what you are really struggling with financially. Or, if you don't know where to even start (which is ok!), I will guide you with a list of questions. What I love about the one-on-one sessions is that there is always a plan. I leave you with a to-do list and we set goals before our next meeting. My clients never feel like they are going at it alone.

    Today, I am doing anywhere between 10-20 sessions a month. I've actually had to scale back due to the fact that Money Therapy is a side business. I work with people who are really struggling and ready to make a change. Money Therapy isn't about convincing you to make a change in your financial life, it is ready to help when you are.

    Money Therapy generates about $5,000 per month and I'm incredibly happy with that number. I could sell more sessions but the quality would not be there for my clients if I did. What I love about Money Therapy is that it proves that if you have a skill, some time, and a will, you can start a business with your talents. Everyone has a way of making money with what they already have in their toolbox.

    What's your backstory and how did you come up with the idea?

    I started Money Therapy as an accident!

    My background was in finance. I worked for a top financial company and then moved to DC working for a finance startup.

    My ultimate goal was to start a company. So, when I quit my job in finance and started a company called Venyou, I realized the financial skills I had acquired during my finance years were invaluable. Instead of guestimating my monthly expenses, I knew what they were going to be down to the penny. Instead of spending money I didn't have, I created a barter system with friends to keep costs down. Instead of being anxious in investor meetings, I was able to walk in with confidence and discuss how my company was going to seek profitability in a specific time frame and how much money was needed to do that. In fact, my finance skills kept my company afloat where others may have failed.

    There are so many brilliant ideas and talented founders but if you don't know anything about money, your chances of your business failing are nearly 100%.

    Other founders heard about my finance background and were approaching me about how to best manage their money. They would ask me questions like; "What insurance can I afford? What business systems do I need to pay for? How do I pay my rent and my developers? Should I be investing and how much?"

    I did this pretty regularly for free but once I gave a speech on finance for founders during startup week, the inquiries exploded. Startup week, for those who are not aware, is a week long event where founders and those supporting the startup ecosystem give speeches and network with each other. I highly recommend attending if you aren't quite sure what you want to start/aren't aware how you are going to do it.

    After my speech, I no longer could sit with people for free, I knew I had to make Money Therapy a real business.

    At first, Money Therapy was just word of mouth. One founder would recommend another founder and then those individuals would recommend their friends in normal 9-5 jobs. I expanded my services to include everything under the sun. If you had a financial question about it, I could answer it.

    Now, I'm in such a cool space with the business. My clients range from 19-55 and I have helped them invest over $500,000 and pay down over $200,000 worth of debt. Those numbers motivate me.

    Take us through the process of getting started.

    Money Therapy started organically and it changed organically. Before I charged for my time, I was answering one-off financial questions. I would get calls, emails, requests for coffee, you name it, just to pick my brain about money. The fun part was that I didn't know what type of questions I was going to get. I loved that variety but it was also mentally taxing. If I didn't have the answer to their question I would have to look it up and get back to them or decipher something for them, which ate into time for myself and my other business. I knew I needed to put structure around my time.

    I started putting my clients in silos; founders, employees, advisors, etc. This way, I could prepare for the types of questions they most likely had. I would "group" these people into one day. Instead of taking 3 meetings about various topics, I would hold 3 meetings in one day about similar types of questions. This way, it was less taxing on me and more beneficial to my clients.

    I also had to do my due diligence and tell them what I was legally able to advise them on and what I could not advise them on. Finance is a heavily regulated business and if you make a misstep you could be in serious trouble. I can give you my opinion on your finances and options that I think might be appropriate for you but I can't move the money for you. This is a blessing instead of a curse because it forces my clients to truly understand how to manage their own financial life.

    Today, I have a very easy but manageable process for my clients. They have to sign up on a great app called Personal Capital. I have to look at it before we meet to determine where I think you may have gaps in your financial life. We set goals on what you would like to get out of the session and then we meet. Easy!

    Describe the process of launching the business.

    I was hesitant to formally launch the business because things had been going so well without any online presence. However, one of my clients moved and still wanted to interact with me. So, instead of doing our normal one-on-one meetings in person, we moved to Zoom. This was not an isolated incident. I started getting referrals outside the DC metro area and knew I couldn't keep it offline.

    So, during the spring of last year I launched moneytherapy.co and offered online signups via calendly and payment via square. I worked with a squarespace template and did everything under $100.

    If you have a good business model that people are willing to pay for, you don't have to spend a ton of money acquiring clients or on your website contrary to popular belief. I sent out a quick facebook blast on my personal page, set up a pinterest account, and Money Therapy was launched!

    It was a rough go at first because I immediately wanted to do everything online. I got frustrated balancing online clients with my in-person ones and screwed up my calendar a few times. I felt like I had put too much on my plate and didn't know if the business was ever going to regulate itself. However, I stuck to my system, made my offline clients schedule time with me on one portal so I wouldn't get my calendar confused, only took on clients who were serious about working with me and eventually everything streamlined.

    Since launch, what has worked to attract and retain customers?

    Since launch, what has worked and still works is word of mouth. Everyone talks! If you did a great job your clients will tell other people. This my preferred way of attracting new customers. After all, Money Therapy still is a service business.

    In addition, I have also gotten passionate about writing blogs. This is a huge attraction to potential new clients. If someone has a quick question, I direct them to one of my blog articles. This saves them money and saves me time. If they have a deeper question, we schedule a session.

    Another unforeseen method of attracting clients is Pinterest! Never in my wildest dreams would I think Money Therapy's pinterest would have over 1 million views per month but it does and has been one of the main generators to my site. Pinterest has connected me with clients over the country. How did I learn pinterest was such a great marketing strategy? Youtube. If you don't know it, youtube it. Hint: Tailwind is the ticket to this growth as well as consistent creation of new pins. At least 2 new pins a week.

    image

    None of these would work without a system. You have to have a system for attracting and retaining new clients. Here's exactly what I do:

    First, I set a time at the beginning of every month and come up with topics that I will write about for my blog. I record the subject, date, and if I stuck to the pubished date or not. I try to have the article written a few days before to I can edit it, add pictures, and think about how I will market it. The tabs below refer to the month so I can see where I am slacking and where I'm doing well. I try for at least one article a week.

    image

    Next, I look at HARO everyday. HARO stands for help a reporter out and it has helped me get into publications like Forbes, NBC News, TheStreet, Girbloss, Bustle, you get the idea. Writers are always looking for help with articles and if you fit the bill they will feature you in publications. This has helped me legitimize my brand.

    Finally, I create assets like pinterest pins to help aid in my new article and market it. I use canva to do this and upload it directly to pinterest. I also use a service called tailwind so that it can automatically repin it.

    Lastly, I follow up with my clients! I send them emails to see where they are on their goals and if they are ready to meet again. That's it.

    One piece of advice I have is understand where your brand shines. For me, it's pinterest. I'm not going to spread myself thin trying to go after facebook ads or be the most followed on instagram. That is not where my brand does best. Realize that not all brands NEED to be everywhere. Find out where you perform best and stick to it.

    How are you doing today and what does the future look like?

    Today, I'm in a good, consistent place with my business. It costs me almost nothing to run my business. Squarespace renews at about $200 every year and I don't pay for any advertising or ads. The only thing I truly have invested is my time which is the most valuable of all. So, my $5,000 per month is almost pure profit.

    I would like to stay at this level. It is manageable while I run my other business. However, what keeps me up at night is the people I'm not able to serve. My goal is to create an online course for different sectors; creatives, founders, employees, and college-aged individuals. I find the most similarities financially are within similar life cycles and goals. All though circumstances may be different for all, concerns are usually the same. With an online course I can serve so many more people. Scalability is always a concern with service-based businesses and I'd like the course to solve that.

    Through starting the business, have you learned anything particularly helpful or advantageous?

    The list would be too long to include everything helpful and advantageous I have learned but a few key things come to mind; consistency, reliability, and relationships. If you have these 3 things you have a very high likelihood that your business will be successful.

    On consistency, it is important to not only be consistent with your business but also consistent with yourself. If you have an internal deadline that no one knows about, keep it. The most important person you should be consistent with is you. If you are consistent with yourself you will be consistent with your business. If you are consistent with your business you will be consistent with your messaging in your business. Consistency is the key to long-standing clients and customers.

    On reliability, it is important you keep your word. If you said you will be somewhere or do something, be there and do it. If people know you are reliable, opportunities and doors will open up for you. I can't tell you the amount of times that I was invited somewhere or asked to speak at an event because someone else was not reliable. Be the reliable person and watch your business flourish.

    On relationships, they are the building blocks of all things. Treat everyone as you wish to be treated and remember that the customer really is always right. Network with people you actually care about getting to know. Ask people you aspire to be like to get coffee. Keep people in your circle that you trust and will give you honest advice. If you have good relationships, you have everything.

    What platform/tools do you use for your business?

    Anything that you can do to automate your business that will make your life easier, do it. I try to do as few things possible in a day which means I use a lot of tools to make it happen.

    • Squarespace - A website, especially if you are providing a service, should be beautiful and simple. With website builders today, you should be able to get a website up and running in a half hour. Squarespace is pretty, it's user-friendly, and it's reasonably priced. I highly recommend using it. They also added a new feature to send emails so I stopped using mailchimp and started using their service.

    • Square - I use this for all my invoicing. It has a simple dashboard and I use the chip reader if I have a face-to-face consulting meeting.

    • Calend.ly - I use this for new inquiries and bookings - it is free!

    • Tailwind - I use this to automate and repin my pinterest pins. This has been my #1 growth tool this past year.

    • Combin - I use this to auto-like and follow ideal instagram accounts

    • Canva - I use this to create marketing materials and pinterest posts. Also free!

    • Go check out my post - it is appropriately titled "Everything I Use to Run My Business"

    What have been the most influential books, podcasts, or other resources?

    My influences have changed over time. At the beginning of my entrepreneurial journey, I wanted to attack and attack quickly!

    I read all the old faithfuls like the Lean Startup, Zero to One, #askgaryvee, and the $100 startup. I listened to podcasts about founders and joined facebook groups. They were informative and necessary at the time. However, you can't live your life at that pace. That energy is needed at the beginning of your venture but you can't sustain a life at that pace.

    Today, I have a more holistic view of what I feed my brain because quite frankly, I got burned out.

    Now, I listen to mainly financial news such as Jim Cramer and WSJ. Financial news gives you all the information you need to know without all the drama. If I need a kick in the ass I listen to Eric Thomas on Youtube. If I need to calm down I go to church. If I need to cry about business I go to my mom. If I need to get through a problem I go to work. Keep your influences simple.

    Advice for other entrepreneurs who want to get started or are just starting out?

    My advice would be that it is okay if your journey doesn't mimic someone else's journey. Just as people are individuals, so are businesses. Listen to your intuition with your business, it will guide you down the right road. Lastly, only take advice from people you want to be like.

    Are you looking to hire for certain positions right now?

    I am always looking for partnership opportunities and contractors. I purposely keep my business employee-free. I want the people I work with to have their own businesses!

    At the moment, I don't need any new contractors but if you have a talent in video editing, illustration, or course-making please reach out at hello@moneytherapy.co

    Where can we go to learn more?

    Visit Money Therapy everywhere @moneytherapyco! Reach out directly hello@moneytherapy.co

    If you have any questions or comments, drop a comment below!


    Liked this text interview? Check out the full interview with photos, tools, books, and other data.

    For more interviews, check out r/starter_story - I post new stories there daily.

    Interested in sharing your own story? Send me a PM

    submitted by /u/youngrichntasteless
    [link] [comments]

    I will help you with anything regarding domain names (for free)

    Posted: 01 Jul 2019 12:33 PM PDT

    Hello.

    I am offering to help anyone with any domain-related question they may have. That may be estimated (or realistic) price of a domain name, domain choices, different variants, brandables, processes or any other question.

    I am not offering a service and I'm not selling anything. It helps me learn more about how users think about domain names and it doesn't cost me much time.

    So feel free to pm me about anything related to domains.

    submitted by /u/LordAntares
    [link] [comments]

    How do you guys deal with feelings of self-doubt.

    Posted: 01 Jul 2019 11:26 AM PDT

    I'm on the strategic planning stage and although everyone I talk the project to describes it as a great model I can't shake the feeling I'm missing something. It's probably my own insecurities but still.

    Any advice would be greatly appreciated my fellow entrepreneurs

    submitted by /u/The_Caballero
    [link] [comments]

    How do I update my CV about a startup that unfortunately didn’t go live?

    Posted: 01 Jul 2019 07:07 AM PDT

    After spending the last 12 months or so tirelessly developing our start up idea, We've unfortunately reached a stage where due to certain issues between my co-founder and myself, we've decided to close down the project/company.

    We were just weeks away from launching our online business and because it was never live I'm not sure what all I can put on my CV and how best to discuss this during future job interviews.

    submitted by /u/Zarton014
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for investor/partner to take my start up international

    Posted: 01 Jul 2019 08:22 AM PDT

    We are a team of two been working on a men's cosmetic brand. We make our own products and sell to the local market. We're at a stage we want to export or sell to the international market space. Unfortunately, we don't have a recognised payment gateway ie PayPal or skrill to setup. We're a few months away from launching our new site with the marketing plan. Just looking for a business or a partner to help us make this happen.

    You can see our products at: www.kave.men

    Let me know if you have any questions.

    Edit: someone suggested this is similar to setting up a drop shipping account. Setup a paypal/skrill account and treat it as a dropshipping deal. We're open for something like this to try it out.

    submitted by /u/SirBoosterGold
    [link] [comments]

    FREE iOS App for Entrepreneurs!

    Posted: 01 Jul 2019 12:52 PM PDT

    A lot of time and money went into the creation of this iOS app. But to help things get up and running, we're giving away our app for FREE for 4th of July. It can help Entrepreneurs set goals, make plans, and stay focused to get things done. It also includes an in app Success Guide. We just ask that you drop a comment or review on the appstore, we'd greatly appreciate it! Thanks!

    http://apple.co/2VOSCIT

    submitted by /u/AuxoPro
    [link] [comments]

    Came up with a good at home business idea, what to do now?

    Posted: 01 Jul 2019 07:51 AM PDT

    Basically title. I came up with a good business idea that can be ran out of my home and would cost less than $3000 to start up (rough estimate probably higher).

    What's the proper steps to starting a legit business at home, in New Jersey? I minored in entrepreneurship in college so I have some background in this but nothing professional

    submitted by /u/grandview18
    [link] [comments]

    What state to form my LLC in

    Posted: 01 Jul 2019 08:17 AM PDT

    I plan on starting an online business in Texas, based on what information I've gathered my LLC will not have to be a Texas LLC, I am wondering if it would be smart to establish it in a different state (Delaware etc.) or if I might run into issues I cannot foresee at this time that would be caused by being registered in a different state. Simply put, I have no idea what I'm doing as I've never started a business and need some advice on what to do about the LLC formation process now that I've got my business plan ready.

    submitted by /u/Jaxon9182
    [link] [comments]

    How to find the right Facebook Ads agency or freelance for your business

    Posted: 01 Jul 2019 02:48 PM PDT

    Nowadays everyone and their dog is a Facebook Ads expert…

    I mean how hard could it be?

    All you need to do is click a bunch of buttons and select a bunch of options, right?

    Unfortunately that's what the self proclaimed Facebook Ads experts think.

    Here are 3 rules that'll help you filter them out… If whoever wants to run your ads passes all three, then you should be in good hands:

    1) They care about your economics

    Pretty simple, that's the first thing they should ask you about

    … your pricing
    … your profit margins
    … your repurchase rate
    … your lifetime value
    … your desired cost per acquisition

    At the end of the day the success of a Facebook Ad campaign comes down to a simple equation…

    Are your returns big enough for how much you invested in the ads?

    Knowing the answer to that question requires knowing most of the above metrics so if someone doesn't ask your question about them it means one of two things:

    • they don't know about those metrics or how to use them
    • they don't really care about you getting profitable campaigns

    Either way, run away.

    2) They care more about the 'Ads' part than the 'Facebook' part

    It amazes me how many people forget that running Facebook Ads has anything to do with advertising.

    Why this happens?

    Well remember, they think Facebook Ads is all about clicking buttons and selecting options…

    Who needs good copywriting and creatives when papa Zuck can uses his machine learning to turn our suboptimal ads full of emojis and exclamations marks into cash cows, right?

    Unfortunately or not, those times are over… It's 2019.

    The platform matured to the point where you actually need some advertising skills to get a good result, especially in competitive markets.

    Creating new angles, new offers, new copy, new creatives should be the #1 focus of a Facebook Ads expert, but that's hard work so most skip it - creating some low effort ads and hoping for the best.

    Ask them about how many different ads are they gonna create for you (and hey duplicating and just changing a word doesn't count).

    Ask for other current clients of theirs and check their running Facebook Ads - you'd like to see running many different ads with as many angles as possible.

    If their clients only have 2-3 similar ads, then again run away.

    3) They really care about Analytics

    "If you can't measure it, you can't improve it" - Peter Drucker

    There are 2 types of analysis that a Facebook Ads specialist should be capable of doing: on platform (analyzing how the ads are doing) and on website (analyzing how the resulted traffic converts).

    Knowing only one or none is very dangerous, because the ad buyer can't really react and adapt to what's happening. He does not only misses potential problems or bottlenecks, he also wastes potential opportunities that a better media buyer would spot.

    Here's another problem with someone with weak analytics skills...

    Only a few businesses rely only on Facebook Ads to get their traffic and customers… most businesses use a variety of channels to drive traffic.

    That's not necessarily a problem, but what's gonna end up happening (especially if you're running a lot of retargeting campaigns) is that Facebook will over attribute results to their ads.

    Facebook will report a Return on Ad Spend of 1:5 (5 dollars generated for each dollar in ad spend) when actually the true ratio might be closer to 1:3.

    Why does this happen?

    Let's take a simple scenario: someone clicks one of your google ads or even an organic search result, they browse the website but decide not to buy at that time. Then 1 day passes and they see a Facebook retargeting ad, they click it and they buy whatever you're selling.

    In this scenario, Facebook will attribute the whole success of that conversion to itself… but that's not really fair for your business because you also paid for previous clicks on other channels (google ads or SEO).

    This multi channel attribution problem is not handled by a lot of agencies or freelancers. Most would prefer to report the overinflated results of their campaigns…

    Someone that cares about the business will want to work with an Analytics tool to create a fair attribution model that includes all the channels even though he might not be responsible for their ads.

    Simple questions to ask here to find out how prepared someone is:

    "How do you track the results of your campaigns?"
    "How do you handle assisted (multi channel) conversions?"
    "What are the most common metrics you look after when doing website analytics?"

    Those 3 rules should take out almost all of the wannabees.

    What has been your experience so far hiring a Facebook Ads agency or freelancer?

    submitted by /u/raulvtl
    [link] [comments]

    Starting an Esports Team

    Posted: 01 Jul 2019 02:38 PM PDT

    Any advice on what initial steps should be taken when starting an esports team? (I.e. legal, business, trademark, copyright, etc.)

    I have a name and the following platforms created: Instagram, Domain, And Facebook created.

    submitted by /u/ZGotIt
    [link] [comments]

    Wife wants to start an Etsy. Does anybody do business on there? Got any advice?

    Posted: 01 Jul 2019 08:17 AM PDT

    As title says, wife wants to start an Etsy. She makes those tumbler things, but she customizes them in a way that nobody else does. She also do wine glasses and other things. I've told her to make at least 20 examples and we'll take professional like pictures and post them. We've had talks about prices and things but I'm not what sure is good or not for the things she makes. If anyone has any advice, or if this isn't the place to ask to at least point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated. Thank you.

    submitted by /u/Nate2672
    [link] [comments]

    Tips on monetizing a Facebook page with 300k+ followers?

    Posted: 01 Jul 2019 02:12 PM PDT

    I currently run a military/army themed Facebook page that just surpassed 300k followers.

    Stats per week

    • Reach: ~1m (minimum)

    • Engagement: ~400k

    • Video Views: ~1m

    • Likes: 2k~

    • Followers: ~3k

    The Instagram page is separate and is approaching 20k followers.

    Some videos have mid-roll ads and that's great. I gave e-commerce a go but it wasn't very successful, I think it is due to poor marketing from my behalf so I'll be giving it another shot.

    Any suggestions for how I should go about generating more income? I feel like there's more potential.

    submitted by /u/xSnipeZx
    [link] [comments]

    High Risk Mastercard Fee! $500

    Posted: 01 Jul 2019 10:14 AM PDT

    I'm a high risk merchant and was just told by PaymentCloud that MasterCard charges a $500 mandatory payment when setting up my processing. I don't have very much initial capital to put into starting my business and that $500 is a lot of money. Would it be terrible to ONLY accept Visa and Discover cards for my ecommerce site? I know Visa is extremely common so I would assume that most people would have a Visa or Discover they could use to make a purchase online. Then once I have some cash flow with the business, pay Mastercard the $500 fee and incorporate them into my site as well.

    submitted by /u/autoboy22
    [link] [comments]

    New website showing up on google search + some basic SEO help?

    Posted: 01 Jul 2019 10:08 AM PDT

    Hi all,

    I recently created a basic website for a family friend's tutoring business, it was launched just yesterday. I had it crawled/indexed on Google Search Console, it still doesn't come up on Google search even with a site:<site> search, is this normal this early in the website's lifetime? I imagine yes but just want to make sure I'm not doing anything wrong on my end.

    Further, I would love it if someone with SEO knowledge wouldn't mind quickly reviewing the website and giving me some tips. I'm not sure what the rules here are for linking the website, but if anyone doesn't mind checking it out I'll gladly PM you with the link and some info.

    Thanks ahead of time for any and all help!

    submitted by /u/tom_HS
    [link] [comments]

    Offering: I'll make a Free Website for You, So We Can Both Save

    Posted: 01 Jul 2019 01:22 PM PDT

    This is a crazy offer but I hope this helps one hard working Entrepreneur. The main purpose of this is to make a WIN-WIN situation.

    I'm a Canadian Web Developer that just updated to a super fast hosting plan (Kinsta). My Business Plan has spare capacity. Luckily, I've been making websites for 10 years and can do it for you for FREE.

    What's the catch? Of course there's a catch haha. Here it is:

    1. Only the top candidate will be picked for this project (PM me)
    2. Wordpress only; as Wordpress sites naturally load slow on basic hosting plans
    3. You should already have a stable sml/med business and have at least 1k traffic / month to be worth the SEO boost
    4. You still have to pay Hosting fees of course! (probably $20/mo), my value is the free labor
    5. We already have 4 sites but have room for 6 more, if your site uses over 10k of traffic / month, you're monthly fee is prorated
    6. Please don't abuse this. If you're too hard to please, I'll politely stop the free work and you can keep what you got from me already
    7. Monthly fees paid directly via my own WooCommerce site.

    What To Expect:

    a. ~20 hrs of FREE WORK from me

    b. Spankin' new and SEO optimized website with WooCommerce

    c. FREE maintenance work on Kinsta

    d. FREE SSL + CDN + virtual private server (this is why I love this host!)

    e. FREE site migration!

    f. No email or domain registration (that is better handled by GoDaddy/Gmail)

    g. If ya want a premium theme, I'm super familiar with a few and can help you out there as well

    HOW TO START:

    PM me with your story & details.

    I don't think it's professional to mention my business url here. Guess I'm just a guy with a crazy idea.

    submitted by /u/olcoil2
    [link] [comments]

    Shipment Quality Control Person China? Thanks so much!

    Posted: 01 Jul 2019 01:21 PM PDT

    Thanks for reading! I have an opportunity to supply a large quantity (over 5000) of fire rated tear-proof paper coveralls.

    After researching, China is the best source. Should I pay for a person to check the shipments prior to them being sent? I've read horror stories that what was ordered and paid for is nothing like what is received.

    Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

    submitted by /u/dustydiamond
    [link] [comments]

    Self Employed People: What do you wear while working? Either at home or at an office?

    Posted: 01 Jul 2019 12:52 PM PDT

    My entire wardrobe consists of golf clothes. I'll normally work in a nice comfy golf polo and shorts. Way better than uncomfortable suits and dress shirts if you ask me.

    submitted by /u/cinnabun814
    [link] [comments]

    How one starts a pizzeria in NYC

    Posted: 01 Jul 2019 12:39 PM PDT

    Hey fellas. Not sure if any of you guys here own a pizzeria shop or not, but I am asking for a help. Me and my friend we would like have a pizzeria shop in NYC in a 1200 sqf place. To be frank, we have zero experience in making pizza. I know some of you guys will throw "work in a pizzeria shop" advise, but I am looking for more. What are the top challenges one faces when opening a pizzeria? If you could list please? And thoughts on purchasing an operating business?

    Edit: not looking to open a fancy one, want to have one of those 1$ slice pizza.

    submitted by /u/jafar_1113
    [link] [comments]

    Maturing a brand: from rough beginning to establish brand?

    Posted: 01 Jul 2019 12:29 PM PDT

    when dealing with a new product usually is started with an MVP or barebones product. Targeting a small customer segment. i.e a custom motorcycle shop, the start up capital can only afford doing minimal jobs, custom bike frames, and stocking off the shelf parts. People come in to get their pre own bike turned into a semi custom. Right now marketing reach is average, and brand image is still new.

    1. When the brand grows it grows to a new bigger customer segment, bigger fan base and possibly many products for different customer segments. The brand would try to do more reach past their fanbase into other territory. The design cues, marketing approach and assets and options expand.

    2. The brand over time if successful might need logo redesigns, styling cue redesigns, new product lines. Collaborations with popular designers/manufacturers/brands. It might try to get into pre owned bike dealerships, and expand into institutions.

    3. If the brand becomes large over the course of 10+ years it might be able to have enough technical skill to jump into a ground up built motorcycles. Or be able to make something that is mass market and with economies of scale.

    TLDR: For a type of evolution from rough beginning to an established brand how would you plan its growth, in terms of marketing reach, fan base acquisition, design + manufacturing expertise, brand awareness + image.

    submitted by /u/ShoemakingHobbyist
    [link] [comments]

    Logo maker websites

    Posted: 01 Jul 2019 12:08 PM PDT

    Anyone has thoughts on logo maker websites; tailorbrands, wix, design logo.

    With so many competition is it still worth a shot to create same business model with add on features?

    submitted by /u/rwl2018
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment