• Breaking News

    Friday, July 5, 2019

    Legal Advice My wife and I were involved in a fatality car accident with a minor at fault. Who is responsible?

    Legal Advice My wife and I were involved in a fatality car accident with a minor at fault. Who is responsible?


    My wife and I were involved in a fatality car accident with a minor at fault. Who is responsible?

    Posted: 05 Jul 2019 07:00 AM PDT

    On Sunday night we were the third car involved in a head-on collision for a vehicle traveling the wrong way down the road. I won't get into the details too much, but there were 3 individuals in the at fault vehicle that appeared to be traveling 10-20mph over the speed limit (40mph). They ended up crossing over the centerline and getting stuck on that side by a small median. The vehicle looked like it made an attempt to jump the median by swerving back towards it when it impacted an oncoming vehicle at which point it did jump the median and both vehicles collided with us.

    The driver and one passenger fled the scene on foot, but were caught on Wednesday night. Unfortunately for the third passenger, they left her in the car and it caught fire in 2-3 minutes after the accident. She died of smoke inhalation.

    To our knowledge and what has been reported it sounds like all 3 passengers were minors. The only reported age was under 15 so it's hard to say whether or not they had a permit or license. My guess is no because if you've driven the area where this occurred you'd know there are medians on and off along that stretch of road.

    We went to the hospital to get checked out as well as the two other passengers who weren't at fault and in much worse condition. Our insurance is taking care of things right now, but will our premium go up if they didn't have insurance? Will their parents insurance cover it? If it's a stolen vehicle will the vehicle owner's insurance cover it? What would happen if they weren't caught?

    submitted by /u/Hinagea
    [link] [comments]

    How binding is a non-compete and is this career suicide?

    Posted: 05 Jul 2019 03:46 AM PDT

    Just under 1 year ago, I accepted a position as a manager in a small startup for very low pay. I was desperate and just wanted to eat, but am now in a much better position in life and have excelled in my position while considerably improving the company itself. The pay is still well below the market rate for my position, but the environment is friendly, I have a lot of lee-way and enjoy my job. I have been told there is no budget to bring my position within normal market rates but have received nominal small raises as recognition for my work and have had consistently positive reviews and have reached or exceeded all milestones.

    About 4 months ago, my company's largest competitor in a different country (but with overlap into our region) has posted a job opening for my exact position and credentials, but with 5x the pay (slightly over market value). If I applied, I would likely have a very good chance of getting the position. The problem is my current company had me sign a fairly standard non-compete, non-disclosure agreement which mentions not working for competitors 'for the duration of this contract'. I'm having a hard time understanding the legalese in the contract so am wondering how binding non-competes are and whether it's worth the risk? Is there an online (reputable) service where I can ask someone to look at my contract for this limitation for a small fee?

    If I apply, the company would obviously know I'd worked for one of their competitors, would this be an automatic rejection? The job requires prior knowledge of our exact industry and it's a pretty small pool, so I'm curious how else I would achieve this experience without having worked for a competitor. Should I tell them I may have a non-compete/non-disclosure?

    tl;dr: currently working extremely poorly compensated but a much better paying position is open with a competitor, how much of an issue is my non-compete/non-disclosure and should I even bother?

    Employer based: TexasProspective employer based: US?

    Edit 1:

    Current language of I think the most binding bit: ""Contractor agrees that during the term of this Agreement, contractor will not perform, or agree to perform, any services for any third party that engages, or plans to engage, in any business or activity that directly or indirectly competes with any current or planned business or activity of Company." - no mention of term limitations in the contract, though.

    submitted by /u/CivilFlamingo
    [link] [comments]

    [NJ] My kind, innocent father has let a "family friend" completely skip paying on a six-figure debt for years--what now?

    Posted: 05 Jul 2019 07:14 AM PDT

    Okay, here's the summary:

    Originally, my uncle owned a large plot of land neighboring my family's property, sold the land to a family "friend" (very much in quotes) who built a house there, and held the mortgage on the land with a contract at 5% interest.

    When my uncle passed away in 2007, my father--to a fault a generous, understanding, and rather financially naive man, as you will see--inherited the mortgage note. This is where the problems start.

    The friend continued paying on the principal until 2009, then gave my dad a story about financial troubles, and continued paying only the interest until 2013...when he stopped paying entirely. All the while promising he'd pay when he could, of course. (For what it's worth, the friend has been employed and living lavishly all this time, huge house, multiple nice cars, hired landscapers every week...he is definitely taking brazen advantage, not a struggling but genuine guy fallen on hard times. Meanwhile my dad is working himself to death in manual labor and living modestly. Yes, this situation really grinds my gears.)

    I only found out about the whole thing yesterday and looked up the New Jersey statute of limitations on debt, which appears to be 6 years. Since the friend continued paying interest biannually (February and August, last payment Feb 2013), the first lapsed payment should be six years ago this August as I understand it.

    What I can't seem to find out is...what could happen at that point? Could the entire six-figure debt potentially just be wiped away? My father does still hold the deed to the land since the mortgage wasn't paid off yet--he couldn't lose that, right?

    During this next month, what should we be doing? Could we have the contract redrawn or something? I'm encouraging my father to hire a real estate lawyer. He still believes the family friend has good intentions and "he'll get paid eventually" and doesn't want to cause a confrontation or burn any bridges. I'm concerned the friend never intends to pay and is just waiting for the statute of limitations to lapse so my father's legal options will be limited. Help!

    submitted by /u/dadstoonice
    [link] [comments]

    I have a land grant from 1840 signed by the US president. Can I claim it back?

    Posted: 05 Jul 2019 10:07 AM PDT

    I have an original copy of a certificate signed by the US president in 1840 that gives a direct ancestor of me a grant to a land in Missouri forever and not only to him but to his heirs.The land is 44 acres by the way. We don't have any family there that we know of. Is there any possible way to see if we can claim the land? Or do you all think it's more likely that it was sold. Is there any way for me to check and see if it's still mine. Considering the certificate says forever you'd think even if they sold it it still would be mine? Or not

    submitted by /u/iMegzz
    [link] [comments]

    Prospective house purchase failed septic inspection. Home owner had separate inspection done and it passed. What now?

    Posted: 05 Jul 2019 06:37 AM PDT

    Sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong sub. At this stage of the purchase we're communicating (negotiating) exclusively through the lawyers, which prompted my asking the question here.

    Here's the back-story. Wife and I are in the process of purchasing a house in NY state. We had a local + large septic company come through and perform a thorough inspection of the septic system (including the use of a digital camera probe to snake through the various parts). Of the areas inspected, EVERYTHING failed. The distribution box was so full of roots they could not get the probe any further to inspect the laterals. Current homeowner was there during the inspection and was understandably shocked by the results. She hired a separate company from well outside the area to come in and perform a CONSIDERABLY less thorough inspection where everything passed.

    Now what? Does one inspection carry more weight than another? Is this just a negotiating tactic? Has anyone dealt with something like this before?

    Any advice moving forward would be very helpful. I'm happy to provide any further details that might be helpful. A couple other items popped up during inspection that we will also be using during this negotiation phase. Thanks.

    EDIT - Negotiations are likely to begin in earnest on Monday. So far only inspection results and estimates for repair have been presented to each other. My current thoughts are to ask both septic inspectors back to the site to further inspect the system (specifically, the distribution box and its connection to laterals). This would force the owner's guy to do a more thorough investigation while also opening up a part of the system for our guy to get a better look. Either way, this would provide more information for both parties and more comfort / confidence moving forward with $$ negotiations. It would also hopefully re-direct the direction away from "our guy vs. your guy" a bit.

    submitted by /u/stop_stealing_sheep
    [link] [comments]

    My (29F) neighbor (50M) is stalking and harassing me

    Posted: 04 Jul 2019 11:56 PM PDT

    Okay, he's not my neighbor perse. I work with an autistic behavioural issue teenager at their home. Their neighbor stalks and harasses us (and me). He hides behind my car in the dark and will take pictures of my license plate. He sits at the end of his driveway and watches us while he drinks beer. And we aren't doing anything strange or out of the ordinary... we work on riding mowers, or do yard work, or build things. We're reasonably quiet and stick to our own yard. I know my client is behavioral issue but he behaves with me and I help him with his activities of daily living and how to function as a productive member of society. We laugh and have fun. But the neighbor is a real issue. We've called the cops ("Hes on his own property, theres nothing we can do"), I've gotten video cameras to get him on tape if he acts up (like pacing in the road or taking pictures of my car or hiding behind my car in the dark), unfortunately he's been sticking to his own property since I installed the cameras, but he still walks around on his property and watches, or makes loud drunk comments. I'm trying to handle this in a professional way to teach my client how to appropriately react here, but I don't know what to do here. Please help and give me advice on what to do. This has been an ongoing issue for about five years now. Neighbor behaves in the winter, gets out of control in the summer. I'm sure he's bipolar. But I worry about what he will do. He makes me and my client very uncomfortable and worry. It hinders me from doing my job, some days. I'm sorry for any misspelling or bad formatting, I'm on mobile. Reposted from the need advice subreddit. I'm in the USA.

    submitted by /u/d3na3
    [link] [comments]

    Disturbing incident in my shop has me concerned

    Posted: 05 Jul 2019 08:23 AM PDT

    Location: Atlanta, USA

    I work in the deli section of a national grocery store chain, for context. I am now considering quitting over an incident that happened yesterday.

    Last night, we had one of our pressure fryers severely malfunction. It sent boiling oil spraying in a 3 foot radius around it and the lid slammed upwards hard enough to crack the concrete wall it impacted with. Obviously, if anyone in the shop was unlucky enough to be standing near it, they would have received extreme injuries. Management made an empty promise that they were going to 'fix it sometime' and otherwise didn't do anything. We are still regularly using it in operations afaik.

    The whole thing kind of freaked me out. It's a good job with great hours and decent pay, but I'm thinking about quitting tomorrow. I just can't stop picturing what might have happened if I had been standing nearby when it blew. However, my coworkers who have been in the shop for years say that they've never seen it happen before. I googled around and people getting injured over similar malfunctions are few and far between. It seemed to have been a freak accident of sorts and I don't have any reason to believe it might happen again, but the possibility concerns me.

    So what should I do legally speaking, if anything?

    submitted by /u/guesswhostalkin
    [link] [comments]

    My Playstation Account has been hacked, the hacker made a R$750 (Brazil) purchase, created a children's account and transferred games purchased with that money to that account. Playstation deleted that account but refuses to return any money

    Posted: 05 Jul 2019 06:46 AM PDT

    So full story here: Yesterday (07/04/2019) I woke up to a couple of emails detailing that a purchase of R$750 has been made and that same value was put into my Playstation wallet, followed by emails about the creation of a Children's account, alterations in my account ID (I was unable to access my account until spoke to PS support to change my password) and the purchase of 6 games totalling in the ammount close to R$750.

    I called Playstation support and managed to delete the Children's Account and change my password, but they refuse to return the money, stating that it's part of their policy of no refunds.

    I'm aware that this sub is focused on American situations but still, I was hoping people might have suffered a similar situation and could help me, mainly because Sony and Playstation had many info leaks before. Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/SgtCrawler1116
    [link] [comments]

    Getting scammed by seemingly nice people? Or the system?

    Posted: 05 Jul 2019 06:43 AM PDT

    [US][OH]

    Two weeks ago, I bought a used iPhone XR on Facebook Marketplace. I met a husband and wife at a local coffee shop and exchanged pleasantries. The husband works for the same large company as I do, and the wife works for a local hospital. I later looked up the husband in my employee directory, and he is who he says he is, they're not making any efforts to conceal their identities. I tried the SIM card in my phone and it worked with no issues, I pay them.

    The phone used to be active on Sprint, but it was (according to them) purchased outright, so it should work with all US carriers. I am on AT&T.

    Fast forward to yesterday, and the new phone loses network access and stops working. I called AT&T support on my Fiancee's phone, and they told me that the device was reported lost or stolen, and there was nothing they could do to bring it back online. I ran a report on the device, and it was reported as "Ever blacklisted", but not "Currently blacklisted" by a reputable phone checking service. I did check the SN/IMEI when I bought the phone and it was all clear. I even put the SIM card back into my original phone, and it doesn't work there now either.

    Frustrated, I contacted the sellers again, and they have been very responsive, claiming that they never reported the device lost or stolen, and reaffirming that the device was owned wholly by them with no payment plan on it at the time of its sale to me. They sent me transcripts of chats with Sprint support, affirming that they do not have any outstanding holds on the device. That's all well and good, but I still am not able to use my new phone as intended. AT&T says the issue is not on their end, so they can't do anything about it, but Sprint says there is no issue at all, so they can't do anything. This is maddening.

    The phone's serial number and IMEI were published in the original Facebook marketplace ad, is it possible that someone else reported this device lost or stolen for a laugh? I know that seems like a wild theory, but I'm just trying to figure out how I got into this situation.

    I know that many will say, "They're scamming you!", but it seems so unlikely that someone scamming me would use their real Facebook page, their real names, continue to talk to me after the fact, and tell me that they work for the same company as me when I could easily look up where he works and go to his desk at the office. I'm nearing my wits end, what do I do here?

    submitted by /u/hi_im_nate
    [link] [comments]

    My neighbor keeps peering into my car window.

    Posted: 04 Jul 2019 10:20 PM PDT

    Nobody likes this lady. She's always looking through people's windows and into backyards. Now she has been looking into my car. It's from the outside, but it's still weird. She cups her eyes against the window to block out the reflection from the sun and everything. She will be doing this for a long time until I finally come out, at which point she straightens up and walks past me with a smile. Is this wrong in any way? Can I report her for anything?

    P.S. To be honest, I really hate her. I once rescued a drowning bird from our community pool and she came out and started yelling at me like I was some delinquent teen trying to graffiti the complex. It happened to be the day I found out my aunt was dying, so I just tried to flee from her to avoid the stress, but she ended up following me to my car where my boyfriend was waiting, and she tapped on the window and started yelling at my boyfriend like I was his troublemaker daughter and I was a havoc upon society. I was balling at this point, distressed about the news of my aunt and she just kept yelling and yelling, every now and then throwing in a lie to make me seem worse.

    P.P.S. I dont think she knows I'm the same girl she yelled at about the bird in the pool.

    Additional info: Texas!

    submitted by /u/Matrixkitten69
    [link] [comments]

    My boss told me I can't take a lunch break on an 11 hour shift, but I work an outdoor manual labor job. Is there a way to ask for one and not get fired?

    Posted: 05 Jul 2019 11:50 AM PDT

    USA, Massachusetts.

    Hi. I run a fuel dock in a very busy harbor, and one of the things my boss told me was that I wasn't allowed to take meal breaks. This isn't an issue for half days, but for the most part, this means I'm outdoors for 11 hours a day without time to stop for a bite to eat. I have to either eat incredibly quickly, or not eat at all. My coworkers, who work in the boatyard and who work in the office get lunch breaks.

    I like my job, it pays really well. I don't want to get fired for taking a break. Is there a way I can take my break without losing my job?

    submitted by /u/DockAdvice1212
    [link] [comments]

    Can I do anything about my company not paying me the way I ask them to?

    Posted: 05 Jul 2019 04:27 AM PDT

    I started a job 2nd week of May. I setup direct deposit on my initial hire paperwork. It has been 3 pay cycles and I am still being sent paper checks. Here is the problem. The checks don't make it to me until the Wednesday following my pay day because they are sent out ON pay day. My rent is due today and I won't have a check until Wednesday. I also have a new charge at my bank because my fees are only waived when I use direct deposit. I have spoken to my payroll department in pay cycle 2 and 3 and they assured me both times that my direct deposit was setup and next check would deposit into my bank and each pay I wake up to no deposit and a copy of the check in my payroll portal.

    I just want to know if there is ANYTHING I can do... I live in KY checks come from WA.

    Update: Thank you guys.. turns out it was their fault... and I was able to locate someone who let me borrow the funds until my check comes. Hopefully I get my account corrected this time.. #fingerscrossed

    submitted by /u/msbhaven247
    [link] [comments]

    Someone put urine in my tea last night.

    Posted: 05 Jul 2019 08:38 AM PDT

    Got fast food last night and ordered large tea. Drank it some and it was terrible. Asked a friend to try it. Terrible. Smelled it... Smelled like rotten piss. I do toxicology as a lab assistant and I know what piss smells like. I guess now I know what it tastes like too. I brought it back and said there is something wrong here and she asked if I wanted something else. More tea? Soda? But I cant have anymore of what was in the cup because they already through it out... Should I call the cops? Is there anything I can do about it? Do fast-food chains keep cameras in their kitchens? I feel sick and embarrassed still.

    submitted by /u/homelesshelper503
    [link] [comments]

    Girlfriend (24F) keeps attacking me (26M) but refuses to move out or be broken up with. How can I get her out of my life without involving police?

    Posted: 05 Jul 2019 07:18 AM PDT

    Over the last several months my girlfriend has become unhinged and has become physically abusive. We've began going to couples councilling but it has continued to progress, culminating in her attacking my face this morning, leaving it fairly bloody and jacked up. I don't want to involve cops because she's a notorious pathological lir and I'm worried she would somehow try to spin it to get me arrested too if I call the cops on her. She currently lives in my apartment but isn't on the lease, what recourse do I have to remove her without the use of law enforcement?

    submitted by /u/AbusedThroaway92
    [link] [comments]

    Nursing Home Changing/Not Issuing Grandmothers Medication

    Posted: 05 Jul 2019 11:13 AM PDT

    My grandmother is in a nursing home in Texas. She coherent but can't make decisions for herself due to dementia so we have a power of attorney. We visit her daily. Most recently, we discovered that the doctor that checks on the patients there has changed her medication without informing us. They took her off her anxiety medication which without causes her to become hysterical at times. We discovered this when we brought a refill for her medication that should have been used up but still had plenty remaining.

    She also needs help getting to and using the restroom. When we asked for help, the assistant told us she can just her diaper. She is able to use the restroom and know when she needs to go normally. We are constantly getting her treated for UTIs but now we are thinking it could be caused by no one helping her to the bathroom or out of her diaper in a reasonable amount of time. We don't think she remembers these events so it is hard to tell how long it has been occurring.

    Is there anything that we can or should be doing besides looking for a new home? We are not comfortable with the staff changing up/not delivering her medications and not informing us as well as not okay with her being left in a diaper all day. We have informed the director of the nursing home but it did not seem to change.

    submitted by /u/inosculate
    [link] [comments]

    Do I go to the EEOC? Do I go to an employeement attorney? Is there even a case here?

    Posted: 05 Jul 2019 11:05 AM PDT

    Here is the background - I am a Muslim, African American man, in Missouri, who was contracted as an IT Project Consultant.

    TLDR: Three separate incidents have occurred with three separate black employees with a common manager. All of us seemingly treated differently than other employees. Two of us were told we were stealing time, one of us was told we were unprofessional. One of us quit, one of us quit before being officially terminated, one of us was terminated. All three of us were targeted by this manager as not meeting his standard in some way without a clear metric as to what that standard was. We all feel as if we were not treated equally in regards to our coworkers.

    The Story:

    • - I was hired/contracted with this company starting in March 2019. My manager did not see me before hiring me, he interviewed me over the phone.
    • - In this time I noticed that other employees were receiving 1:1 meetings with the manager but he was not scheduling them with me. He and I had very little interaction other than daily pleasantries as a result.
    • - At the beginning of May 2019, he texted me after hours (around 7:30P) requesting that I join him in a conference room at the beginning of the next day. I did not know whose number it was as I had received no prior communication from it.
    • - Regardless, I checked the conference room the next morning. My manager was there and presented me with an excel spreadsheet of all of the times that my computer was "active" as well as my browser history and claimed that with this data the most I was working was 3-4 hours a day and I had "stolen" $12,000 worth of company time.
    • - In the same meeting, he also accused me of performing illicit activity on my computer, but refused to tell me what it was , saying only "Just know I can see everything that you're doing".
    • - He then revoked my ability to work remotely and told me to leave my work laptop in the building, citing that he couldn't trust me, sent me home for the day, and told me we would meet up again to discuss a plan for improvement
    • - Upon going home, I contacted my mentor at the company: an older African American gentleman, also a contractor, who also worked for some the same manager.
    • - After telling my mentor the story, my mentor told me that the manager, a few months prior, contacted him after hours, accused him of working limited hours, and intimidated him with threats of "recording his screen".
    • - Upon my return to work the next day, the manager acted as if nothing had happened. This coyness continued for the next month. He did not lay out a performance improvement plan or set up a meeting to discuss further action.
    • - We return to exchanging daily pleasantries, and I get curious if he simply forgot what occurred. I waited for him to set up a meeting of some sort to discuss an improvement plan but nothing ever occurs.
    • - At the beginning of June 2019, I went to HR to tell this story to them as I had started to feel uncomfortable and frustrated working under him. I felt like I was walking on eggshells, despite doubling my work efforts, and I did not feel as if I was being treated the same as my coworkers.
    • - A coworker reached out to HR after I told them the managers actions towards me and my mentor, and HR then reached out to me to tell my experience.
    • - I told them my experience and what I had heard anecdotally about the experience of my mentor. I also mentioned that during my interview with the company, before being hired, I specifically inquired about the ability to work remotely, and felt frustrated that the privilege was taken away, because as a Muslim, I know that during Ramadan (a fasting period - no food or water for ~16 hrs) my daytime productivity drops, so I always ask about remote work as a religious accommodation and don't like that it was taken away.
    • - In this time (May - June 2019) a black project manager, we will call Ms. J, was hired and assigned to work under my manager. My mentor and I both separately warned her of the manager's proclivities for being friendly but ultimately acting seemingly malicious.
    • - Mentor quits the company at the end of May 2019
    • - On a Friday in early June, I was working on some code and wanted to review it over the weekend to work some things out mentally.
    • - I attempted to e-mail myself a copy, because I couldn't bring my work laptop home, but the e-mail was bounced back and I didn't think anything of it. I would just continue working on the code Monday morning.
    • - Upon Monday morning, my manager again called me into a conference room showed me the employee contract I signed and pointed out I had violated terms by attempting to send myself code. Essentially saying that it looks as if I was attempting to steal company intellectual property.
    • - He then demanded to see my personal e-mail inbox to verify that I had not received the file. I declined this request, but allowed him to see the e-mail in my work inbox that showed the e-mail never left the work server.
    • - He then followed by saying that because of my previous behavior, inability to rectify it, and now this, that he was inclined to let me go and had a meeting with HR regarding my termination. (Be reminded that no pathway or metric for rectification was given or discussed)
    • - Before this meeting, I turned on my phone's voice memo function to record the conversation just in case. So I have documentation of this meeting.
    • - After my meeting with him, I sat my computer on my desk, took off my badge and walked out of the building.
    • Flash Forward to a week ago,
    • - End of June 2019, Ms. J, the black project manager, calls me crying saying that the manager had just fired her in an e-mail.
    • - From what I heard anecdotally, she invited everyone to eat with her on her birthday in a few days, then received an e-mail from manager roughly saying "Before you pull something like that, run it by me because we already have a birthday event coordinator."
    • - She was then asked to leave a few days later citing that she had been terminated for "unprofessionalism".

    Advice: I honestly don't know what to do in this situation but three individuals have now lost their livelihood as a result of this man's actions. I do not want this to continue happening. I would love justice for myself, I do believe he had a fair reason to fire me as I violated agreed upon terms (despite how I feel that should have been handled) but my concern is not with that it is with the way I was treated differently while employed and that others will be hired and then subsequently treated differently and/or let go due to possible discrimination. I have been told to go to the EEOC, I have been told to get an Employment Attorney, I have been told to get a Discrimination Attorney. Please help - do I have a case for any of those things?

    EDIT: Grammar and additional details.

    submitted by /u/damidre
    [link] [comments]

    My mover accidentally broke someone else’s tail light

    Posted: 05 Jul 2019 05:37 AM PDT

    Hello! So I am moving into a new apartment and I had some family members help move furniture in. They accidentally tapped a cars back tail light with the couch leg and broke the outter glass like a 2 inch hole. We left a note with name and number on the car but I'm not sure if I'm liable? what do I do? Every one keeps telling me that I should not have left a note at all? No one has tried calling me or left a voice mail either and this is a day later

    Update: thank you everyone for the advice, my boyfriend ended up talking with the owner of the car while I was at work. He said thank you for the gesture of leaving the number and to not worry about which I was very very worried about 😓

    submitted by /u/voldys_moldy_witch
    [link] [comments]

    Alimony Ruling has put me in serious financially binding position.

    Posted: 05 Jul 2019 05:31 AM PDT

    Going to try and keep it simple Reddit. I'm in Colorado. The judge ruled that I'm to pay my ex alimony. The alimony combined with child support for one child is around 40% of my net income. This leaves me without enough money to live. What are my legal options here?

    submitted by /u/mike7seven
    [link] [comments]

    My father worked in construction, got into an accident which messed up his back. Went to court and judge ordered company to pay him a settlement. Company left the state in order to not pay. It's been years now and he had no idea how to continue.

    Posted: 04 Jul 2019 06:37 PM PDT

    So the accident happened years ago now in idaho. The company fled to some state in the midwest, should we contact a lawyer from the state that the company is currently in? Not sure how to proceed with things so my dad can get his settlement paid. Advice would be very much appreciated.

    submitted by /u/Serg99789
    [link] [comments]

    Rented a cottage, landlord won't return safety deposit

    Posted: 05 Jul 2019 12:53 PM PDT

    Hey everyone,

    A group of friends and I (20ish in total) rented a cottage for Canada Day weekend. Prior to the weekend, the landlord sent us a contract for one of us to sign and return, requiring a $750 deposit in case anything were to be broken or damaged. Within the contact, there was a clean up section where it stated:

    "You agree to clean the cottage prior to departure, remove your own garbage and recycling, and generally to leave the property in the same state of cleanliness and general order in which it was found. You agree to pay a thirty dollar ($30.00) charge for the garbage disposal and two hundred ($200.00) for clean up".

    Prior to leaving, we cleaned the cottage to restore it to the condition it was in when we arrived (I took pictures of the place when we arrived and after the cleanup as proof it was in the same state of cleanliness), however, we left behind about 10 bags of garbage as all the dumps in the area were closed. We understood the contract to be a $30 charge for all of the garbage, however the landlord is trying to say it is a $30 charge per bag, and is not returning us our deposit.

    I think he's annoyed that there were so many bags and so is trying to recuperate as much money as he can. but the contract doesn't state that the charge is $30/bag. Is there anything we can do to recuperate our deposit or is there any leniency in the wording of the contract that he can charge us $30/bag?

    submitted by /u/fishyboy96
    [link] [comments]

    Paypal ChargeBack, how to defend myself

    Posted: 05 Jul 2019 03:38 AM PDT

    Hi guys,

    I was working with a client as a programmer freelancer building a website, all our discussions was using slack platform. as the client control the slack platform, after we had disput they kicked me out of slack and unfortunately I didn't save our discussion.

    The client was paying me every week using paypal even if we don't have lot of work the pay me. all demands from client were filled and done.

    after the disput the client kicked me out of slack and fill two week paypal chargeback for " Item Not Received " and "item not as described".

    we have communication only throught slack, no email. first we meet at upwork.com so we have some discussion there

    I need your advice to properly manage this situation

    my location : France

    Client Location : US

    thank you guys

    submitted by /u/BakriAnouar
    [link] [comments]

    My brother just sold one of my guitars without my permission. (United States)

    Posted: 05 Jul 2019 01:01 PM PDT

    It was a guitar I bought and said we could both use it, and I purchased it for $200. He decided today to randomly sell it off and he refuses to tell me to whom and how much. I have a receipt and witnesses to the purchase. What should I do?

    submitted by /u/throwaway100996
    [link] [comments]

    Rental agency broke our signed lease for our apartment 6 days prior to move in

    Posted: 05 Jul 2019 12:58 PM PDT

    We received notice today that the tenants in the apartment that was offered to us are 'not moving out.' We have a deposit on the apartment and a signed lease agreement by both parties (myself and partner, and the rental agency). We are supposed to move in 6 days and just informed today that it is no longer available. They want to discuss but I have not spoken with them as of yet.

    What are our options here? We have a legal lease agreement for that apartment. This apartment has perks that many of the others in the complex that are available do not have. If we were to take another I would expect some kind of compensation in the way of available perks or square footage I imagine. I have spoken with some friends who are lawyers that say this is the best recourse. It is an incredible inconvenience and highly unprofessional. I have never heard of something like this happening.

    This is California so renters rights are notoriously good. What should I do next?

    submitted by /u/superdozer
    [link] [comments]

    [WA] My dad attempted to rob a bank yesterday. Will he automatically be tried federally? I don't know what to do next.

    Posted: 04 Jul 2019 05:15 PM PDT

    My dad attempted to rob a Washington State bank yesterday. He was unsuccessful and was arrested. Because it happened so recently, I do not have all the details but here's what we think we know. First, he is a senior citizen and has suffered from depression and anxiety for most of his life. Unbeknownst to myself and my brother, he was/is in incredible debt. He lost his job about 3 months ago and we thought he was getting by on unemployment and social security. Apparently not. In the brief phone call that my brother received from him in jail, he snapped and felt he had to make the decision to kill himself or rob a bank. To our knowledge he was unarmed and didn't try to flee.

    He has zero criminal history. The detective said he was baffled by the case because he doesn't seem like someone who would do something like this. It apparently wasn't well planned and seemed like he almost wanted to get caught. He's currently on suicide watch in jail after we stressed his past mental history and he made some disturbing comments about hurting himself. His arraignment is tomorrow afternoon. My brother and I are completely over our heads here and don't know what's going to happen next. Looking online, it sounds like bank robbery is a federal office with heavy consequences. But we also found that Washington State has it's own laws. Is there any chance he isn't tried federally and he gets a lesser sentence through the state? How much will the zero past criminal history, unarmed, and mental history play a role in his sentence? Thank you in advance for any help.

    submitted by /u/hedidwhaat
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment