• Breaking News

    Sunday, July 7, 2019

    Accounting Hey haha I know I just asked this but

    Accounting Hey haha I know I just asked this but


    Hey haha I know I just asked this but

    Posted: 07 Jul 2019 12:47 PM PDT

    Sounds about right...

    Posted: 07 Jul 2019 01:58 PM PDT

    When you are an accountant who's motivated by food

    Posted: 06 Jul 2019 10:56 PM PDT

    Catch myself almost hoping to be fired lately...

    Posted: 07 Jul 2019 07:22 PM PDT

    Lately I've been feeling pretty apathetic toward my job. It's not like I'm working for a bad company (a small public accounting firm) but I'm so burnt out and I feel myself caring less and less every day. Part of it has to do with being placed around people I don't care for and also the general rudeness of superiors who continually push unrealistic deadlines.

    On top of that, I'm having a hard time studying for my CPA tests because I feel so burned out. At this point, I don't know how to study consistently when I'm about to crash mid-afternoon every day. I'm left feeling depressed and unmotivated and don't really know how to keep going down this road.

    Sorry for the word vomit but I guess I just need some general advice on how to get through it.

    submitted by /u/Johnson30006
    [link] [comments]

    When you try to take a vacation

    Posted: 07 Jul 2019 10:32 AM PDT

    People who work in the public sector, how do you balance work and fitness?

    Posted: 07 Jul 2019 02:55 PM PDT

    With those long hours and a seemingly awful work/life balance (or so it seems at least in this subreddit), how do you guys balance fitness and the work you have to do? Especially during busy season. I'm a huge fitness enthusiast and aspiring accountant and I'd like to know some strategies y'all employ.

    EDIT: I meant to say Public accounting, not the public sector.

    submitted by /u/GFitness97
    [link] [comments]

    Adjunct Professor?

    Posted: 07 Jul 2019 05:34 PM PDT

    Friends,

    Lurker here. Currently enrolled in a MAcc program and am trying to semi-shape a possible career. One possibility I had in mind was finding a decent government job and working as an adjunct professor on the side. Would this be possible? Realistic? The work life-balance provided by government stability combined with supplemental income from working as an adjunct seems very lucrative imo.

    The Big 4 kool aid is certainly available to drink around campus, and was just hoping for some advice. Seems like college campus recruiting is the easiest way to enter big four, and that it may be hard to enter if not choosing to do so right after school. Don't want to limit my options if the adjunct thing isn't realistic

    Thanks for any advice!

    submitted by /u/xrxt123
    [link] [comments]

    How I feel on some days being a B4 auditor lol

    Posted: 06 Jul 2019 10:38 PM PDT

    Accountant seeks right to possess 3kg of pot

    Posted: 07 Jul 2019 10:14 PM PDT

    I know everyone here has jokes, but in reality is your gig as an accountant that bad? Do you regret choosing this field of study and work?

    Posted: 07 Jul 2019 12:32 PM PDT

    I'm currently doing classes while working full time and I'm looking like majoring in accounting. Unjerk for a sec and tell me how it really is?

    submitted by /u/Johnnybazookas
    [link] [comments]

    Can Chukkas be part of a business casual attire in firms?

    Posted: 07 Jul 2019 09:32 PM PDT

    With the high turnover rate in public, how do you guys deal with your good friends or good managers leaving the firm?

    Posted: 07 Jul 2019 07:02 PM PDT

    Canadian CPA's finding jobs in the US

    Posted: 07 Jul 2019 08:30 PM PDT

    Thinking about relocating to the US, somewhere like San Fran as an example. Anyone in here experienced with the transition?

    Was it hard finding a job? How was the process for you? Did you settle in the US easy? What city did you land in? What role did you get? What experience did you have before leaving? How was the application process?

    submitted by /u/sergeiifederov
    [link] [comments]

    Getting an Accounting Related Job With a Low GPA

    Posted: 07 Jul 2019 05:53 PM PDT

    Hi there guys, I'm still new to this but have been feeling the pressure. I am 26 years old (ya I know I am old) going to be getting my bachelor's in accounting by next year. My GPA for account is around 2.5 but my overall GPA is 3.0. I have over 2 years of experience working at a small private tax firm. I am a full time student that is a board member of one of the accounting clubs offered on my campus, as well as a full timer worker at the small private firm. I am planning on taking the CPA exam in about 6 months to a year after I get my bachelors. I guess my main question is it hard for someone in my position to get a decent accounting job after I graduate? I would like to work for the government, but I'll take whatever job I can take even if it is out of state. Any feedback is appreciated.

    submitted by /u/tclate
    [link] [comments]

    What are good ways to manage your company's profit and loss?

    Posted: 07 Jul 2019 10:43 PM PDT

    Managing your business' profit and loss is an essential task, however, just because it needs to get done, doesn't mean you have the actual time to do it. Your next option is to put one of your valuable in-house employees on the job, but what do you do if your employees already have their plates full with more important tasks? Here are some of our suggestions.

    submitted by /u/infinitoglobal
    [link] [comments]

    Adjusting/Closing/Reversing Entries HW Help

    Posted: 07 Jul 2019 10:04 PM PDT

    So I'm struggling with one of my homework problems. I don't really understand how to record reversing entries at all, so I know that's part of the issue. Adjusting entries and regular journal entries, I'm fine with, but for some reason I'm not understanding how to calculate what they are wanting me to do in this. So I'll copy/pasta the Wiley+ HW question I'm stuck on, and see if any of you fine folks can help me out! I also included notes on what I tried, and the result I got.

    When the accounts of Martinez Inc. are examined, the adjusting data listed below are uncovered on December 31, the end of an annual fiscal period.

    1. The prepaid insurance account shows a debit of $4,704, representing the cost of a 2-year fire insurance policy dated August 1 of the current year.
    2. On November 1, Rent Revenue was credited for $1,716, representing revenue from a subrental for a 3-month period beginning on that date.
    3. Purchase of advertising materials for $793 during the year was recorded in the Advertising Expense account. On December 31, advertising materials of $306 are on hand.
    4. Interest of $708 has accrued on notes payable.

    Prepare the following in general journal form. (Credit account titles are automatically indented when amount is entered. Do not indent manually. If no entry is required, select "No entry" for the account titles and enter 0 for the amounts.)

    (a) The adjusting entry for each item. 1) (Debit) Insurance Expense $980 (Credit) Prepaid Insurance $980 (This one is correct) 2) ???? I tried (Debit) Unearned Rent Revenue $3432 and $1144, but the account and amount are wrong. I also tried (Credit) Rent Revenue for the same amounts, and they were wrong. 3) ??? There is no option for Supplies Expense, so I tried (Debit) Advertising Expense for $487 and (credit) Supplies $487, but both account names and amounts are wrong. 4) (Debit) Interest Expense $708 (Credit) Interest Payable $708 (this one is correct)

    (b) The reversing entry for each item where appropriate.

    I do not understand reversing entries…so any help here would be appreciated.

    submitted by /u/forrealimadetective
    [link] [comments]

    How many monitors are you looking at? How many would you like? How many were you offered? Can you request more? Have you recently transitioned and were given less screens than you were used to? How did you adjust? Screens screens screens!

    Posted: 07 Jul 2019 09:56 PM PDT

    As posed above.

    Long time listener, first time caller.

    Just curious...

    Also add where you work (or as much info as you are willing to share for reference).

    Thanks!

    P.S. - to answer my own questions and to get this party started, I have four screens and I would like at least two more. Yes I am serious. Certainly increases productivity. Do you agree?

    submitted by /u/debitcash
    [link] [comments]

    Need help with a bank reconcilation

    Posted: 07 Jul 2019 09:48 AM PDT

    Doing a bank reconciliation for my job. Using easy numbers just for the question. As of now my ledger is short of the bank statement $50 on the debit side. The $50 is an unemployment tax payable. To increase a payable you credit the account as I understand. My question is what would the debit be? To make the ledger balance I would debit the bank, however shouldn't the debit be an expense? Now if I debit an expense account the ledger is still short $50 of the bank statement. But if I feel I shouldn't debit the bank because this is NOT cash coming in. Its a future liability. Sorry if this is too trivial for the sub.

    submitted by /u/dlhdbs
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone make it to executive w/o public practice exp?

    Posted: 07 Jul 2019 08:40 PM PDT

    I'm pretty new in the career in Canada (3 yrs. exp) but I started and am currently in industry. What I started to notice is that most executives (director level and above) at the companies I've worked for have public practice background. It worries me that I will be stuck at a level due to the lack of public practice background. Can anyone share their story of how they made it to an exec level position w/o any public practice exp?

    submitted by /u/rafaelito92
    [link] [comments]

    Typical Industry Raise?

    Posted: 07 Jul 2019 04:53 PM PDT

    What do you guys find to be your usual raise? Is it annual or every 6 months? Any tips on making sure raises are decent? Thanks for any help! ( I am in a publicly traded $1billion revenue company.)

    submitted by /u/HustleCastle346
    [link] [comments]

    Multiple offers: How do I turn down my dream employer for their competitor (and not burn any bridges)?

    Posted: 07 Jul 2019 04:52 PM PDT

    Long story, short:

    • I interviewed for several companies in the last 2 weeks.

    • One was a client that I've been on for 2 busy seasons. I saw first-hand how well they treat their people, how adept/smart their employees are, how professional their workplace is, and (on a completely superficial note) how new/beautiful/modern their office is. I met 4 Managers/Directors in 2 different interviews. Their hiring procedures are very formal and professional - which I liked. And I connected with all of my interviewers really, really well.

    • Another was their competitor. They are smaller, less global, but they are still growing very fast. I interviewed with two directors, who were really nice; I also connected with them. Their office is newly renovated, but in an older building. They're doing great things - but, in my opinion, they're like a less developed/polished younger sibling, compared to my busy season client.

    • I'm still waiting to hear back from my busy season client about a potential third-round interview, but I got a same-day offer from their competitor. It was unexpected - I thought I'd have at least another round of interviews and get my offer at the same as my busy season client.

    • My busy season client is workplace goals, in my opinion. It's a great company to work for, growing rapidly, with great people. But the position is at a lower level with lower pay. I interviewed for a role a level higher at their competitor, which means more pay and potentially faster career progression. One thing that worries me about my busy season client is that it's so cushy/comfortable, that no one realllllly leaves. I imagine it's likely harder to climb the ladder there.

    I thought about the situation all weekend, and I want to take the competitor's offer - I think the higher position and higher salary will help progress my career a bit quicker. I'm also thinking about re-applying to my busy season client in 2-3 years (for a higher-level role) once I have more experience.

    I'm having trouble on what to say to my busy season client because I don't want to burn any bridges with their HR Department or my interviewers.

    This is what I'm planning on telling them; should I leave anything out/add anything?

    • Thank you for taking the time to interview me. Late last week, I interviewed with another [industry] company for a higher-level position. They provided me with an offer late last week, which I've been mulling over all weekend. It is a difficult offer to walk away from. Having been on the audit of [company] for the past 2 busy seasons, I've personally seen how great [company] is, how much [company] invests in its people, and how intelligent/talented your employees are. This is genuinely a very difficult decision. I'm hoping we can keep the lines of communication open, as I would jump at the opportunity to work at [company] in a higher-level role in the future. If you have any questions, please feel free to call me; otherwise, I will reach out to my interviewers very shortly.

    Thanks guys! :D

    submitted by /u/DoubleUnderline
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment