• Breaking News

    Thursday, June 6, 2019

    National Student Loans Data System: Know what you are up against Student Loans

    National Student Loans Data System: Know what you are up against Student Loans


    National Student Loans Data System: Know what you are up against

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 09:33 AM PDT

    This site shows you exactly how much you owe in interest and principle, date issued, type of loan, EVERYTHING.

    Every loan you take out must be submitted to this website and be visable for you.

    https://nslds.ed.gov/nslds/nslds_SA/

    Check it out!

    submitted by /u/MeChamomud
    [link] [comments]

    Federal Consolidation Loan question

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 07:25 PM PDT

    I'll have about 230K (not including accrued interest over the years) in federal student loans after I graduate next year. These loans include: federal Perkins, direct Stafford subsidized, direct Stafford unsubsidized, and direct graduate PLUS loans. I plan to consolidate all of them into a Federal Consolidation Loan and then enter the REPAYE income-based repayment plan, which will save me 50% on interest while making $0 monthly payments due to a AGI of $0 for the previous tax year. I will probably switch to the extended repayment plan after 1 or 2 years when my income will no longer favor a REPAYE plan.

    My question(s) is: What am I losing out on consolidating into a Federal Consolidation Loan? Since consolidation takes a weighted average rounded up to the nearest 0.125%, the only disadvantages I can think of are no possible avalanche or snowball methods for those mini successes and potentially up to 0.125% higher interest rate. Am I missing out anything? Is this a terrible idea?

    submitted by /u/richardc300
    [link] [comments]

    Third Party Loans

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 05:14 PM PDT

    Me and my fiancée will both be attending school full time next year. As of now we do not receive enough access to loans to pay for tuition.

    We both bank through Wells Fargo. I noticed they have student loan options. I was wondering if any of you have used them?

    What are other options to look into? I have read over and over again to stay away from Sallie Mae.

    submitted by /u/FluffyKitten73
    [link] [comments]

    How to get a student loan if you have no credit history and you parent (singular) has bad credit.

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 09:25 AM PDT

    Hello I have a few questions pertaining to student loans, I myself have no credit record on file at I've never had a credit card or bought anything on credit, and my mother ( I live with her since my father and mother have split) has bad credit score of 613. I was wondering for loans like Wells Fargo student loans among other bank loans how do you get them if you have bad credit? Thank you anyhelp would be great.

    Edit 1: I should have also prefaced this but the FAFSAS given amount as well as loan amount together will not cover my college tuition costs I was wondering if there are any loans with someone that is in my position can get? Again thank you.

    Edit 2: I have gone to Community College all ready for all of my Basics I am now trying to pay for uni. Again thank you for your time.

    Edit 3: I will be trying to get a part-time job while in school at full-time enrollment and then during summer at time while taking no classes.

    Edit 4: I just got off the phone with the financial aid advisor of the school and they said I will know by this Friday or next Friday when they start to distribute financial aid if my parent qualifies for The Parent PLUS Loan. In case anyone was wondering.

    submitted by /u/TheKingGamer117
    [link] [comments]

    Student loans payments coming up, no steady income, options?

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 01:13 PM PDT

    I have 94k in federal student loans I need to start paying back in August. I have been trying to find a job in my field of practice and as of right now I have only managed to find temporary positions, in other words, I don't have a steady income. (I am still trying to find a full time position but it's been very difficult considering my location). I've been trying to research the different repayment options but it's very confusing and overwhelming and I'm not sure what I qualify for considering my situation? Any input/advice would be appreciated.

    Edit for more detail: currently my job is with a temporary staffing agency so work is not guaranteed and my income can vary greatly from month to month depending on whether or not the agency can place me.

    submitted by /u/Polaris_0
    [link] [comments]

    U.S. Department of Education released a Q&A regarding Borrower Defense to Repayment Reporting

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 12:56 PM PDT

    https://www.jdsupra.com/legalnews/ed-pushes-borrower-defense-reporting-q-a-36146/

    Came across this article. I'm not an expert on Borrower Defense but just wanted to share this.

    submitted by /u/knwldg101
    [link] [comments]

    Co-signer Qualifies for TPD Discharge

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 12:24 PM PDT

    My mother is my co-signer on my private loans with Navient (then, Sallie Mae)

    She has been disabled her entire life and is on SSI.

    When I applied for the loans they required a co-signer, which was my disabled mother. They accepted her SSI as proof of income and I qualified for the loans.

    Now, my mother has been approved for TPD (total permanent disability discharge).

    My question is, do I have any recourse in this situation since these loans were issued to someone who was already disabled in the first place? I was unable to receive the loans in the 1st place unless I had a co-signer.

    Thanks in advance for any knowledge you can share.

    submitted by /u/cooltightsick
    [link] [comments]

    Need $8k for 8 months for medical career college, best options?

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 03:13 AM PDT

    What I want to do in college: I want to enroll in a medical career college to become a Medical Assistant with Phlebotomy.

    Cost: The total cost is $10,000 but I only need $8,000 by October. Best to do it now if it takes time to get a loan processed and approved.

    School Problem: The school does not offer FASFA or loans, although I can take out a student loan via third-party.

    Loan Problem: Most student loans either ask for my college (it's not on file because my school doesn't support it), it has to be a private/undergrad/grad school (it's only an 8 month program), or the minimum is $15,000 that I can take out (I mean I can take out $15k, and give them back the $7k that I don't need right?)

    What I want: A student loan bank that doesn't ask for my school name, doesn't have to be a private/undergrad/grad school only, can pay it off after I graduate and offers $10k as an option. Low interest of course

    submitted by /u/brandonluja
    [link] [comments]

    Is there any read for me to not get a subsidized federal student loan?

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 10:42 AM PDT

    So my tuition is already covered by the pell grant and from what I understand the interest on a subsidized loan is paid for by the department of education. Is there any reason for me to not get the subsidized loan for potential use on any supplies or books I might need since I'm only going to pay back what a I'm given anyway? Also since I'm pretty dreadfully uninformed about this kind of thing, does a federal student loan go straight into my bank account or does it go to the school?

    submitted by /u/KrakenSunBaby
    [link] [comments]

    Performant Recovery Inc./student loan HELP

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 09:06 AM PDT

    I received a letter from Performant for a student loan. The number they gave me my husband has agreed to help me pay but I'm worried that that won't settle everything. I guess I'm worried they aren't working for the government. Anyone have experience with them ?? Please help

    submitted by /u/SpecialT618
    [link] [comments]

    Advice about payoff or not

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 06:20 AM PDT

    I am approaching my payoff amount total (around $40k) in my bank account and was wondering if I should deplete every dollar I have to pay it off. I'm 26 in July still living at home with the parents, no other debt, stable (but not enjoyable) job. I have been saving as much as I could for the last 4 years to invest in real estate while also paying $50-100 over the minimum due each month (paying about $1000 a month).

    My goal is to BRRRR my way to a stable rental portfolio to quit my job and do that full time. With that in mind, I have been contemplating what to do with this debt. Delay investing in a property and moving out of my parents home or spend every dollar on eliminating my student loans.

    submitted by /u/wantmymoneyincash
    [link] [comments]

    How long will we be paying our student loans?

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 03:09 AM PDT

    Hello,

    I have been reading the posts here for quite some time already and it is my first time posting:

    I am from Europe and my wife is from the US. She graduated with $26,699.03 of student debt before she moved to my country to live with me. Since January 2019 we are paying the minimum payment (~$154) on a 10 year graduated plan (not sure if the name is correct, we are paying less now and more in the end, the rate increases every two years). We want to get married in August and have been saving for that. Additionally in my country we have something called 13th and 14th salary. Which means that every May and November I basically get a second salary next to my normal salary for that month. In total that would be another 4,500$ a year we will put directly in the student loans. In 2019 only half of this amount is available as the other half is going towards our wedding. Here is a list of all our loans from January 2019:

    3,500 @ 4.66% / 2,340.97 @ 4.66%

    5,500 @ 4.45% / 1,041.46 @ 4.45% / 1,027.32 @ 4.45%

    4,500 @ 4.29% / 1,641.10 @ 4.29%

    4.500 @ 3.76% / 1,648.18 @ 3.76% / 1,000 @ 3,76%

    Once the wedding is over our budget allows us to put roughly 600$ towards the loans. We will keep paying the minimum and put the rest towards the highest interest loan as we want to save as much as possible when it comes to paying additional interest.

    I would really like to know how long it will take us to payback everything if we follow this plan. I tried using websites like unbury.us and googling for calculators. Unfortunately because we have a change in the monthly rate we are paying and the additionaly amounts two times a year I have yet to find something that gives me believable result. My personal "feeling" tells me that it should not take longer than 3 years.

    What would be the best place to put the 13th and 14th salary? Should we just put them towards the highest interest rate or would it pay off to knock some of the smaller loans off the table with it?

    Is there anything I am missing? Student Loans are completely new for me as this is not an issue in my home country.

    Thank you for all of the advice and inputs.

    submitted by /u/MarriedStranger_
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment