• Breaking News

    Wednesday, June 5, 2019

    Daily Advice Thread - All basic help or advice questions must be posted here. Investing

    Daily Advice Thread - All basic help or advice questions must be posted here. Investing


    Daily Advice Thread - All basic help or advice questions must be posted here.

    Posted: 04 Jun 2019 05:13 AM PDT

    If your question is "I have $10,000, what do I do?" or other "advice for my personal situation" questions. If you are going to ask how to invest you should include relevant information, such as the following:

    • How old are you?
    • Are you employed/making income? How much?
    • What are your objectives with this money? (buy a house? Retirement savings?)
    • What is your risk tolerance? (Do you mind risking it at blackjack or do you need to know its 100% safe?)
    • What are you current holdings? (Do you already have exposure to specific funds and sectors?)
    • Any other assets? House paid off? Cars? Expensive significant other?
    • What is your time horizon? Do you need this money next month? Next 20yrs?
    • Any big debts?
    • Any other relevant financial information will be useful to give you a proper answer.

    Please consider consulting our FAQ first - https://www.reddit.com/r/investing/wiki/faq

    Be aware that these answers are just opinions of Redditors and should be used as a starting point for your research. You should strongly consider seeing a registered financial rep before making any financial decisions!

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Powerless [Facebook] investors vote overwhelmingly to oust Mark Zuckerberg as chairman

    Posted: 04 Jun 2019 07:21 AM PDT

    Dow surges 400 points as trade tensions decrease, tech shares rebound

    Posted: 04 Jun 2019 08:11 AM PDT

    Gamestop eliminates dividend.

    Posted: 04 Jun 2019 01:19 PM PDT

    -8% again after hours. I said the dividend was going to go many times over the last year as people kept thinking this was a value. I said I absolutely wouldn't buy it at $15, I wouldn't buy it at $10 and now I have no interest at $7. People have kept pointing to valuation metrics all the way down, but aren't making a case why this business will be turned around before it becomes irrelevant.

    Now the income investors who were still in this thing for some reason (oh, I know - they were looking at the yield % and not bothering to look at the business itself) are going to sell.

    submitted by /u/dvdmovie1
    [link] [comments]

    The Fed has reduced its balance sheet by almost $210,000,000,000 so far YTD.

    Posted: 04 Jun 2019 11:39 AM PDT

    Assets as of Jan 2/19 = $4.058 Trillion

    Assets as of May 31/19 = $3.851 Trillion

    https://www.federalreserve.gov/monetarypolicy/bst_recenttrends.htm

    submitted by /u/NineteenEighty9
    [link] [comments]

    Salesforce shares rise afterhours on earnings beat

    Posted: 04 Jun 2019 06:11 PM PDT

    https://www.cnbc.com/2019/06/04/salesforce-earnings-q1-2020.html

    Salesforce shares rose 3% in extended trading on Tuesday after the cloud software company reported better-than-expected earnings for the first quarter of its 2020 fiscal year.

    Here are the key numbers:

    Earnings: 93 cents per share, excluding certain items, vs. 61 cents per share as expected by analysts, according to Refinitiv.

    Revenue: $3.74 billion, vs. $3.68 billion as expected by analysts, according to Refinitiv.

    This has been a fav of mine since it was $8 in March '09. It does have a habit of selling off even after good quarters. If it does that might present an opportunity although it's already down significantly from April highs.

    submitted by /u/stockpikr
    [link] [comments]

    Knowledge fatigue - venting thread

    Posted: 04 Jun 2019 11:45 PM PDT

    I started investing roughly a year ago and applied as much as due diligence I could as a retail investor with a full time job. I enjoyed the learning process as it was something new. I made sure to study everything I could. From Quant Models to Factors to studying the superinvestors. I ended up with a sizable notebook, various excel sheets, momentum signals, fundamental ratios to fill an entire book. Now what? the knowledge feels so dense and yet so little that I don't feel I am any better than I was a year ago. I feel stuck. Stuck that the index seems right now the more reasonable choice. DCA, monthly contribution and move on. Do I feel like it was a waste studying stock analysis? no I do feel like it helped me understand businesses better and even carrying some of that knowledge to my day to day work. Should I have indexed right the way from the beginning? probably.

    Did you guys experience something that similar where you felt the influx of information on how to invest renders you literally numb on how to even invest? if so how did you break out of it or did you fold like me and added indexing to your mix?

    TL;DR one year ago I though I could do better than the market, one year later, the index doesn't look that bad.

    submitted by /u/xolayu
    [link] [comments]

    Stick news app

    Posted: 04 Jun 2019 11:26 PM PDT

    Are there any good apps that notify you when something's going on in the market of interest? New to investing

    submitted by /u/fmstation
    [link] [comments]

    My attempt at analyzing Texas Instruments for the years 2013-2018. I'm trying to get better at this company analysis for personal investment. All constructive criticism is very welcome (and also needed).

    Posted: 04 Jun 2019 08:58 AM PDT

    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1OPShNOQOOUu07aLVLCjEmAM2g8pZq5r4QNyj3YUl8gc/edit?usp=sharing

    I calculate free cash flow multiple ways because honestly I have no way of knowing which one way is right or not. So the following ways are how it's calculated.

    A. FCFF (Free cash flow to firm): OCF-Capex

    B. FCFF (Free cash flow to firm): NOPAT (calculated as EBIT * (1-35%), drops to 21% due to the TCJA in 2018) + Depreciation/Amortization - Capex - working capital

    FCFE: Net income + Depreciation/Amortization + Other noncash charges added back - Capex - change in working capital

    I calculate ROIC two different ways as well, one using NOPAT and the other using Joel Greenblatt's way as outlined in his book The Little Book that Still Beats the Market: EBIT/ (Net Fixed Assets + Net Working Capital). NFA and NWC, respectively, are calculated in this spreadsheet as such:

    NFA: Total assets - Total current assets- Goodwill (if applicable)

    NWC: Total current assets - cash and equivalents -(Total current liabilities-(Total liabilities-Long term debt))

    I have a feeling I did something wrong in this spreadsheet and I need to know where I messed up so I can avoid it from here on out. Please let me know what you think.

    submitted by /u/howtoreadspaghetti
    [link] [comments]

    Booz Allen Hamilton (BAH) solid as a rock?

    Posted: 04 Jun 2019 11:11 AM PDT

    So back in March I purchased shares of BAH figuring it was a pretty safe investment, but at the same time not one that I could get a decent ROI on.

    The main stocks in my portfolio are VTI, NVDA, and BAH. With the recent dip NVDA and VTI took some big hits, but, BAH seemed to weather the storm.

    NVDA plummeted about 10%, and VTI fell about 5%.

    However, BAH is up about 20% on a 3mo trend, and I am up a little over 10%.

    Booz Allen is a massive company with around 25k employees and one of their main clients is the US government.

    What are your thoughts on BAH?

    submitted by /u/MrGoodcat97
    [link] [comments]

    Investors want a Fed rate cut before economy turns: ‘Risk becomes greater the longer you wait’

    Posted: 04 Jun 2019 04:54 AM PDT

    https://www.cnbc.com/2019/06/04/the-market-is-demanding-the-fed-cuts-interest-rates-soon.html

    Markets expect the Fed to cut its benchmark interest rate at least twice before the end of the year.

    The trend comes amid an economy that remains fairly strong but slowing.

    Worries are mounting over the trade war and a yield curve that is sending a strong recession signal.

    Some Wall Street analysts think the Fed could even cut three times.

    submitted by /u/coolcomfort123
    [link] [comments]

    $700 vanished from a new NW Mutual IRA in what I believe to be unethical practices. How do I proceed?

    Posted: 04 Jun 2019 01:31 PM PDT

    Started a $5500 Traditional IRA with NW Mutual. We talked about trading under AGTHX which I expressed interest in. However, I never signed anything or told them to trade with that money. I actually have a text message telling them that I need more time to think on it after they said ""we need to "activate" the IRA by 05/20/19."" After getting NW's whole life/disability insurance speech I decided to go with a different firm and have my money transferred into a SEP IRA at that firm instead of a Traditional. They gave the new firm only $4800. When I asked the new firm where the other $700 went, they could only speculate that AGTHX had a 6% trade fee and the rest was lost on the downslide of the market or something along those lines. My new firm is going to investigate on my behalf but I'm wondering if you all have any insight into something like this. This is my first time putting money into a retirement account and this issue has unfortunately put a nasty taste in my mouth about it all. Thanks for reading.

    submitted by /u/Mark_Kill
    [link] [comments]

    today's reversal

    Posted: 04 Jun 2019 03:34 PM PDT

    Question: so the market has been in a downtrend, let's say you have built a big short position and has a chunk of unrealized gains, then today happens. What do you do to protect yourself from events like this? Do you sell your entire position first thing in the morning? give it a little bit of time? ignore it and see what happens?

    submitted by /u/mandelbrot31415926
    [link] [comments]

    Is a Morningstar Subscription worth it?

    Posted: 04 Jun 2019 05:23 PM PDT

    I am finally in a position to manage my my portfolio and make a lot of changes, and I'd like to know what people think of Morningstar.

    I have known about it for years, and even used it briefly way back in 2004/5. I am thinking of leaving my broker (see my other coming post about First Command), and was wondering if Morningstar is worth the monthly cost, or is another site better for doing research and analysis. Is it worth it for short periods of a month or two when rebalancing and updating? I do have access to Fidelity and the NetBenefits site. Is that more useful?

    Let me know your thoughts!, responses are appreciated.

    submitted by /u/DrGrabAss
    [link] [comments]

    How do I read these fund prospectuses?

    Posted: 04 Jun 2019 08:50 PM PDT

    I'm really clueless but I want to learn so I am hoping to get a little pointer here.

    https://www.nuveen.com/closed-end-funds/jgh-nuveen-global-high-income-fund

    This is a common fund I guess. I'm confused about how to read the tables. For example I'm understanding the share price is somewhere in the $15 range thereabouts. Then I look at their monthly distributions for example and see $0.1020 and immediately I think that's impossible.

    My math (probably wrong due to being clueless) if I buy 10,000 shares for $150,000 and get $0.1020 distribution that would be $1.020 a month.

    Then again, I see they have an 8.21% market distribution rate (whatever that is, I'm guessing it's similar to ROI?) and 1,020*12/150,000 would be 8.16 so, close I guess.

    submitted by /u/Timstertimster
    [link] [comments]

    $VT Dividend 2nd Quarter extremely low

    Posted: 04 Jun 2019 08:29 PM PDT

    It seems I only got a few cents in dividend from my $VT holdings on May 31st. The previous quarters it was about 100x more. I googled to no avail, does anyone know what's going on?

    submitted by /u/SeriousOrdinary
    [link] [comments]

    Market Crash Strategy - Currently $0 in the market, when it crashes, what should I do?

    Posted: 04 Jun 2019 11:29 PM PDT

    I've been overseas for a long time and just returned to the US. All my savings are in high interest savings accounts. Been looking to get into the market, but have been waiting for a correction. All the signs are there and it appears we may finally see that correction happen with a significant dip in the market.

    As I have $0 invested in the market today. What should I do when it does start to crash? How do I buy in? All at once. Incrementally, how do I pick which stocks to buy. Basically I've been waiting for this opportunity, and it appears to be on the horizon. Now I need a strategic plan for when it happens, but I'm no investing expert. Looking for advice on how to capitalize on this upcoming market correction.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/americanninja81
    [link] [comments]

    If more and more people will be diagnosed with depression, in what single stocks ought you invest?

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 01:01 AM PDT

    Apologies if this question is unethical. Based on rises in suicidal ideation in Canada, US, UK, I presuppose that increasingly many will be diagnosed with anxiety, depression, and suicidal ideation.

    1. How can an investor profit from the rise in psychiatric disorders? Invest in pharmaceuticals that manufacture medications for them like anti-depressants?

    2. Any single stock recommendations?

    3. I know about ETFs, but there isn't one just for mental health. Right?

    submitted by /u/astus1
    [link] [comments]

    Gold to Oil Ratio: A Possible Warning for Equities

    Posted: 04 Jun 2019 06:26 PM PDT

    Is there a list out there of country by country laws for marketing/soliciting foreign funds/securities into said country? More specifically the Asia/ASEAN region.

    Posted: 04 Jun 2019 02:27 PM PDT

    For example, Japan requires fund managers to be chaperoned when offering securities/LP interests to Japanese accredited investors.

    I already know the laws for Hong Kong.

    Just wondering if there was a larger list or if you guys know any rules involved with marketing unit trusts/cayman funds into:

    New Zealand Thailand Vietnam Singapore Thailand

    submitted by /u/Quippykisset
    [link] [comments]

    Can I get people's thoughts as to whether trump's gonna close this deal

    Posted: 04 Jun 2019 09:08 PM PDT

    Why shouldn't I invest in S&P 500 3X Shares?

    Posted: 04 Jun 2019 05:18 PM PDT

    Most investors say to just ride the S&P 500 to retirement. If the case is that the S&P 500 has always rebounded, shouldn't I triple down and just put all my money into S&P 500 3X?

    submitted by /u/askingbecause
    [link] [comments]

    $obln does anything indicate a buyout?

    Posted: 04 Jun 2019 04:59 PM PDT

    Company has FDA approved product it just patented the product as well. I see, from very unreliable sources on the interwebs, of a possible buyout scenario going on.

    submitted by /u/theGrilledCheeses
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment