• Breaking News

    Wednesday, June 5, 2019

    [Student Loan Debt Free] Student Loans

    [Student Loan Debt Free] Student Loans


    [Student Loan Debt Free]

    Posted: 04 Jun 2019 06:53 AM PDT

    I am happy to announce that yesterday, my wife and I paid our final school loan payment!!!!! It took us about 5 years to pay off about 70K. No more student loan debt!!!!!!!!!!!!

    submitted by /u/JS2FL
    [link] [comments]

    Help and ideas for student loans

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 01:37 AM PDT

    I'm going to my seconded year of college. I am transferring schools to a bigger university out of state. When i applied i missed the deadline for the scholarship and grants because the transfer application said nothing about it being completely different application. I need to get out of my house. I need help on if I should take out the 37k in student loans and help finding scholarships; because I have applied to a lot but have gotten no response. Can someone please help me in the terms of what i should do. I am a computer science major if that helps.

    submitted by /u/cyb3r_mongoose
    [link] [comments]

    Consolidating debt with current loans question.

    Posted: 04 Jun 2019 09:57 PM PDT

    Turns out I didn't pay one of my loans and it was sent to collections. Talked with them today about consolidating it with Navient, and they want info for the consolidation form to send to DoE, which included W2's for me and my wife (for income based repayment). Is this standard? I'm pretty sure this isn't a scam cause everything seems to check out from the school to the collector.

    Also I'd rather just work with Navient as I'm already paying off loans through them. Can I work with Navient instead and have them consolidate the debt with them rather than giving all this info to the collector and having them send it to DoE and Navient?

    submitted by /u/Eliseo120
    [link] [comments]

    Stressed About Receiving Student Loans

    Posted: 04 Jun 2019 12:51 PM PDT

    I submitted my application for student loans today and I am worried that I will not receive funding for this year. This is my 3rd year of being in university and I took out the maximum amount that was offered to me. So far my debt is around 25K CAD and I will need at least another 10k more to have enough to finish school. If I do not receive funding this year then I will not be able to continue attending university. I know that this sounds like an irrational fear, but is there any possibility of me not receiving funding for the year?

    submitted by /u/throwawayaccount2O2O
    [link] [comments]

    IRS will no longer fax transcripts beginning June 28, 2019

    Posted: 04 Jun 2019 09:31 PM PDT

    Internal Revenue Service announced it would stop its tax transcript faxing service as of June 28, 2019 for individuals and tax professionals, after delaying the February 4th deadline.

    Individuals may still call the IRS to obtain masked tax transcripts and they will be mailed to the last address of record. If a Taxpayer's address of record is no longer current, the representative will ask additional security questions, update the address on the contact, and mail the transcripts to the new address. From the order date, the normal delivery time frame is 5 to 10 days by USPS. The general IRS customer service number is toll-free 1-800-829-1040, Monday through Friday 7am - 7pm local time.

    For faster service, taxpayers may go to IRS.gov for Get Transcript Online, verify their identities and create an account. They can then view or download a copy of their tax transcript immediately. Or they can go to IRS.gov for Get Transcript by Mail and request a transcript be mailed to their last address of record. Taxpayers also may call 800-908-9946 for automated service to order a transcript by mail.

    IRS Form 4506-T can also be used to obtain all transcript types: Tax Return, Tax Account, Record of Account (combined return and account in one document), Wage and Income, and Verification of Non-filing.

    Transcripts can also be provided at a local IRS Taxpayer Assistance Center by appointment only. The IRS TAC Appointment line is toll-free 1-844-545-5640 Monday through Friday 7am - 7pm local time.

    Source at IRS.gov

    submitted by /u/these-things-happen
    [link] [comments]

    SOS

    Posted: 04 Jun 2019 01:23 PM PDT

    So I've called Navient every month since September 2016 to see if there are any options for my private loans. I currently pay $1100 to Navient, $435 to Sallie Mae and $120 a month to Great Lakes (federal so it's on an income based repayment plan). Because Navient and Sallie Mae are Private, and my mother who brings in 100k a year is a co-signer (she is the only income in my household other than myself and she takes care of my disabled brother and father) they tell me there are no options to reduce my payments. Therefore I pay about 2200$ a month after adding my car payment and credit card bill. This does not include groceries, gas etc.

    Why is this okay. I've never missed a payment. I've been on forbearance the last 6 months as I lost my job (I now work two jobs). Because I put my loans on forbearance I cannot release my mother as a co-signer until I make 12 month consecutive payments. I find it so hard to believe that this company cannot help graduates/students who want to make payments but can not afford the absurd amount they are asking. I cannot move out, I do not have health insurance, I skip meals, I run out of gas, all because I am being robbed by a company that does not give two shits about me.

    I tweeted at Navient yesterday about how my mental health is in the drain due to my financial struggles, and they emailed me today saying they are "looking into my account" what does that even mean.... every month when I call in tears, they basically give me the cold shoulder telling me there is nothing they can do for me. I currently owe 181k (bachelors degree) at interest rates between 7-11%, due to be paid off in 2047, and at this rate I don't even want to know what the total after interest is.

    I've tried consolidating and refinancing through citizens, Wells Fargo, DCU, Other credit unions, SoFi, MeFa, Lendkey, etc. I get denied with and without a co-signer. I've also tried applying one loan at a time, or all together or just 2/5 etc. I get the reply of "your debt to income ratio is too high therefore your application is denied"

    I'm sorry for rambling, I'm just so fucking discouraged and stressed. I feel so hopeless, and lost and like I'm drowning. I've worked my ass off, I've done things I'm not proud of for money just so I could fucking get gas, I feel pathetic.

    I wish I never went to school. End rant.

    submitted by /u/alexandria511
    [link] [comments]

    Any reason to consolidate?

    Posted: 04 Jun 2019 02:23 PM PDT

    I have about 63k in loans and I am planning on going on an income-driven plan and pursuing PSLF along with my fiancee who has 108k in loans. My grace period ends in August.

    My 63k in loans are split over 10 direct subsidized and unsubsidized loans. Is there any reason to consolidate those before switching to the income driven plan? I know it won't change my payment amount at all, but I'm wondering if having 2 loans vs. 10 loans might help my credit at all? Or really anything else?

    submitted by /u/airgoat15
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for guidance, also got questions

    Posted: 04 Jun 2019 04:25 PM PDT

    Hey so I'm about to get my payments this coming August. I'm studying real hard for the LSAT at the moment, except I just started studying. I've been out of school since December of 2018. Anywho, I need to buy myself some time away from these payments. What's the smartest to prolong? Like can I apply for a full time semester at a community college, fill the fafsa out for it, and be good cus I have a fafsa on file? I really don't know too much about this process, any help is welcome!

    submitted by /u/Thebluesharpdude
    [link] [comments]

    How often should I make payments?

    Posted: 04 Jun 2019 01:11 PM PDT

    I have a loan of $6,500 with a 5.5% interest rate that I'd like to pay off by the end of the summer (by late August)

    I have an internship right now so I'm saving money to pay it in bulk. With interest, the loan is currently around $6,628. Should I save up this amount and pay it by the end of August? Or should I make monthly payments this month and next month? Does it even matter?

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/chapter_eIeven
    [link] [comments]

    Navient stopped my auto payments and now want me to do a lump sum payment or will sell my loan to a collector. Not sure what to do.

    Posted: 04 Jun 2019 12:41 PM PDT

    Hi

    I defaulted on my Sallie Mae loan way back in 2007. My loan was sent to Navient and I've been on an auto monthly payment plan with them ever since.

    In April my payment was not taken out of my account. I called them and they said the account had a "cease and desist" on it which made no sense to me. I told them I did not authorize to stop the payment. The customer service rep put in a ticket for me and I've been bounced around for the past three months.

    Yesterday I was told that I MUST have forgotten that my bank changed (it did not, and I have proof) and the payment mistake was my fault. Now they are demanding a settlement lump sum or my loan will be sold off and most likely I could have my wages garnished.

    I have faithfully paid for 12 years and I seem to be stuck resolving this. I owe $7,736 and the offer is $3,900. I need to pay $1K on July 17th and then do monthly payments of $100 a month for 29 months.

    Should I keep pushing that this isn't my fault or just take the deal? My fear is I get toward the end and suddenly this happens again. My goal is to try to pay off the 3900 sooner and I'm not sure if I'll be punished for that.

    I have a pic of the settlement letter I can try to share. Thanks for any help

    submitted by /u/Shakentree
    [link] [comments]

    Would have to take loans, however I am in a tough situation...

    Posted: 04 Jun 2019 12:00 PM PDT

    Hi all,

    First of all I'm sorry for any grammatical mistakes (and format?) here; I'll try to explain it clearly.

    I am 19 years old and in my second year of college. I was able to pay off my first year of college because of the money I saved from my first job and the help from my parents.

    Unfortunately at the end of my first year I found out I lost my scholarship by .5 points (gpa). I'm still very disappointed in myself for it. On the bright side (?) if I do well my second year, I can get it back.

    However, I will be stuck with paying my second year and it will be costly.

    COA is about $27k

    EFC is 0

    I have received federal aid as shown below:

    Pell: 6,195

    Grant: 1,000

    Subsidized: 4.500

    Unsubsidized: 2,000

    Parent PLUS: 13,819

    Here is my situation,

    I want to take most of the loans offered to me however I won't be able to take out the Parent PLUS Loan because my parents are undocumented (I am a U.S Citizen however).

    I want to avoid private loans as much as possible but I might have to take them out, but like I mentioned, my parents are undocumented and they have no credit score whatsoever so we might get denied. Please correct me if I'm wrong!

    What can I do to get the money I need to pay for my second year of college? I know the COA is an estimate so the amount of loans I need might decrease, but I've used all my savings to pay my first year and just the lack of money and the fear of burdening my parents with debt is worrying me sick. Any advice is appreciated, thank you!!

    submitted by /u/StariMari
    [link] [comments]

    Student Loans with no cosigner

    Posted: 04 Jun 2019 11:15 AM PDT

    My parents wouldn't file the FAFSA so I got no aid and I am unable to take out student loans. They also won't cosign on private loans for me. Both Sallie Mae and Discover have told me I will need a cosigner to be approved. Does anyone have any other loan options I should look into?

    submitted by /u/mddmllr
    [link] [comments]

    Slow Payment Processing/Additional Payment Question

    Posted: 04 Jun 2019 09:48 AM PDT

    Hi all,

    Turning to /r/StudentLoans with a somehow out there question. I have no where else to ask so hopefully someone can help.

    I refinanced my private loans with Lendkey, and I am getting insanely frustrated with their slow payment processing. It seriously limits my ability to throw any extra money I have at the loans ASAP. I am on auto-debit to save the 0.25% in interest. Here's an example of how their payment processing works -

    Sometime between the 1st and the 5th: Statement is generated stating minimum amount due. Interest is calculated as of the statement generated date. Due date is always the 15th of the month.

    15th: auto-debit payment due date.

    16th to 21st: auto-payment listed as "pending" or "processing"

    17th or 18th: money taken from my bank account

    22nd: payment is applied to my account.

    If you send an additional payment at any time an outstanding payment is "due" - it takes the interest out first and then the rest is applied to principal. I totally understand that that's how student loans work. However, I have a payment "due" from whenever the statement generates until the auto-payment status is changed from processing to applied. The dates are a moving target every month due to what dates fall on business days and frankly their arbitrary processing time. Sometimes my statements have 28 days of interest on them, sometimes they have 33 days. Its almost like the dates depend on when someone is manually calculating the interest due and processing my payments.

    I've been with them since June 2018, and this was the first month ever that two invoices were generated. One on May 1st and one on May 31st. I made an additional payment on May 30th, thinking it would be applied before my statement generated. Nope, they randomly did a May 31st statement and my $900 payment is still "processing" as of this morning (June 4th). So now the $900 I sent will be applied to my auto-debit scheduled for June 15th.

    I tried calling them yesterday and they had little answers for me. I asked how I can guarantee that my extra payments are applied to principal and he said I would have to make any additional payments in the week after the 15th. I sent customer service an email asking them to just list out my next 6 statement generation dates and they dodged that request.

    It seems absurd to me that I have a 7 day window to make additional payments. I get paid bi-weekly and I like to send whatever money I have leftover in my budget to the loan, but they're making it very difficult and I find myself very frustrated.

    Anyone have any thoughts/tips? I feel like there might be some sort of consumer protection guideline out there that would prevent them from doing this. I checked my note and other loan documents and they're no help. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I am considering re-financing with a lender who exists in the 21st century and can process payments in less than a week. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/eyelashchantel
    [link] [comments]

    question on PSLF/payments during period of unemployment

    Posted: 04 Jun 2019 05:54 AM PDT

    I have about five years towards PSLF and will soon be moving from one qualifying position to another, but I will have a small gap in my employment between the two positions.

    What is my best option for that employment gap in terms of my loans since those payments during unemployment will not count towards PSLF? Should I ask for a deferrement for that period? Forbearance? Or a re-calculation of my IBR payments since my income will be zero during that time? Are there other options that I have not thought of?

    submitted by /u/twatwaffIer
    [link] [comments]

    Need guidance for 20k undergrad student loans

    Posted: 04 Jun 2019 09:05 AM PDT

    Hey all, so I got myself into 20k student debt before even applying to PA school. These are all federal loans, none are private. I just finished my last semester so I know that interest will accrue soon (3 have already started to). I have no idea how any of this shit works to be quite honest. My loans are a mixture of unsubsidized and subsidized. I work as an adjunct lecturer in the biology department at my college and I was wondering if this would count towards any sort of loan forgiveness/reduction? Should I consolidate my loans via studentloans.gov? Should I try for an income-driven repayment plan after I consolidate them? What would be the best route to tackle these loans? I intend to start PA school August of 2020 and hoping to get at least half of these loans paid off.

    submitted by /u/thesamstorm
    [link] [comments]

    Advice/Help needed

    Posted: 04 Jun 2019 08:51 AM PDT

    So, I made a payment on 06/01/2019 to my student loan company, Nelnet, and it was due to process on the 3rd. No big deal. I had the money ready for it and put in a little extra just in case.

    Well it's the 4th and the payment still says "Payment Processing 06/03/2019". I'm a little frustrated to say the least and now I have to pay extra for it being late.

    The due date was on a sunday if that helps and I made the payment a day before.

    Am I crazy or is the student loan company not doing their job?

    submitted by /u/CheesyRobotMacaroni
    [link] [comments]

    Student loan consolidation (sallie mae/Federal/Parent Plus) $52,000

    Posted: 04 Jun 2019 04:45 AM PDT

    • I am currently living in Spain doing a masters degree, interning for a year (no pay) and my deference period is ending.

    I have 2 sallie mae loans

    $11,538.84 at 10.125%

    $6,830.03 at 11.875%

    And a federal loan balance

    $22,678 at 4.2%

    Plus a parent PLUS loan my mom wants me to pay

    $10,855 & im not sure the interest.

    They total $51,901

    I have applied to consolidate my federal loans for a lower payment. I am currently in a masters degree program at the university of Salamanca and none of these places will accept my deferment for being in school because my university doesnt have a "school code". I was thinking about consolidating the parent plus with the sallie mae but everywhere I apply denies my application. I could have a cosigner but even then I am denied. I don't know what to do, what do you recommend?

    P.S My uncle is helping me pay my student loans while I am in school, I want to make the decision based on when I am finished with school making approximately $20,000 a year.

    submitted by /u/martinsophiej
    [link] [comments]

    Advice for student loans-future therapist

    Posted: 04 Jun 2019 04:21 AM PDT

    Hello

    I am currently in school for occupational therapy. I will have a total of $130k undergrad and grad loan debt. Im getting married and my partner has no debt (he is in trade). Should i take a therapist job for non profit and do Student loan forgiveness plan or just get a really high paying (maybe stressful) job and just pay it off?

    submitted by /u/dreamer90_
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment