• Breaking News

    Tuesday, March 26, 2019

    The not selling approach to selling Sales and Selling

    The not selling approach to selling Sales and Selling


    The not selling approach to selling

    Posted: 25 Mar 2019 07:07 PM PDT

    At a conference in Dallas last week I hosted a dinner for 6 prospects. I had never met any of the prospects before. I invited two other vendors to fill spots that opened up at the last minute and I had one of my salesmen there.

    It was a really nice but laid back place. After introductions around the table I said that there would be no sales talk at all and that we would not talk about work or anything related to work.

    It was 2.5 hours of great conversation where we all talked about random things and truly got to know each other.

    Here is an email I got from one of them today. She's the decision maker.

    "Thank you for dinner! It was a great group and great food! I have been in sales for a long time and I really appreciate your style.

    Glad we connected and were able to attend. Let's schedule a meeting to talk about what you're doing."

    The point is, you don't have to always try to sell someone and pitch your product. It's OK to just be a person talking to another person. Sometimes that is sales.

    submitted by /u/McDray
    [link] [comments]

    Are there any disabled sales people out there?

    Posted: 26 Mar 2019 06:57 AM PDT

    I've been considering a career in sales but not sure how I'd fare. While I was born with a hearing loss and use a cochlear implant, I can generally hear pretty well. Sometimes it takes a minute to get the hang of new people's voices (especially accents) and I tend to avoid noisy places. I do find that most people are generally understanding and will meet me at my level.

    Also, I have mild one-sided cerebral palsy (right side). This can be noticed by my gait and handshake but it's something I'm trying to improve. I'm aware of Bill Porter - I was curious if any modern day redditors have had to overcome physical limitations to be a successful salesman.

    submitted by /u/deaf_mike
    [link] [comments]

    Sales Career for the Long Run?

    Posted: 26 Mar 2019 06:38 AM PDT

    I've been in the sales grind since college and the end of this year will mark 20 years of asking people for money! I'm curious for the older sales reps out there and, for that matter, anyone that has been in sales for a few years - do you see yourself selling into your 50's and beyond? I've never wanted to manage, but maybe I should? Even with managing it's still high pressure with many more forecast calls and more travel. I'm still going strong in my early 40's, but I'm wondering about 10-15 years from now. Any thoughts on a career transition or second career? Anyone going to sell until you hit the beach for good?

    submitted by /u/jejla24
    [link] [comments]

    Job offer, should I ask for higher pay?

    Posted: 26 Mar 2019 07:59 AM PDT

    Just received an offer letter for a sales position. Small company. Is it expected that I will counter with a higher salary request? Something like $5k more. There will be no raises in the first couple of years, so it's kinda now or never.

    Side note, there will 2% commission on all sales. And new customer sign up bonuses.

    submitted by /u/pocketsked
    [link] [comments]

    Best Way to Get Entry Level Experience

    Posted: 26 Mar 2019 12:05 PM PDT

    Hi everyone, I hope you're having a great day. I'll keep this brief.

    I'm a sophomore Accounting major in college. I'm not planning on a career in sales, but I need to nail down some communication skills over the summer, before I have some really important interviews that'll determine the entire first portion of my career path. I already have a full-time internship lined up for this summer that's related to my major, but I want to get some sales experience as well. Are there any decent ways to get sales experience that won't conflict with a normal 9-5 schedule? I'm 100% down to work at a call center or something, but is there anything else you guys can think of?

    submitted by /u/fashfront
    [link] [comments]

    Vacation

    Posted: 26 Mar 2019 06:18 AM PDT

    Is anyone else struggling with taking vacation time? I feel like I'm losing opportunities. I have a good work/life balance, I'm off on weekends, and I love what I do. I have 5 weeks to take and 1 week will be a family vacation but I can't see myself just taking off random days just because my vacation is 'use it or lose it'.

    submitted by /u/DanielHillSKW
    [link] [comments]

    Companies that are very resistant to any form of change - what do they all have in common?

    Posted: 26 Mar 2019 08:21 AM PDT

    No matter what you're selling, SaaS, a tangible physical tool, consulting, it doesn't matter if you're selling it to companies that are resistant to change, no matter how much that change would benefit them.

    What are the obvious indicators that can help me understand if that company would be open to implementing new solutions, or if that company has a culture that is resistant to change?

    submitted by /u/nehardElhidine
    [link] [comments]

    Super straight forward cold email

    Posted: 26 Mar 2019 06:56 AM PDT

    Im trying to get in touch with Stroke Coordinators at hospitals, and wanted to know if this comes off as eye catching or intriguing in its simplicity.

    "Hello Dr. X,

    My name is Ninjoe42 and I would like to speak with you about a new stroke technology that helps prevent death and disability.

    Let me know if that's something youre interested in.

    Thank you, Ninjoe42

    phone number company name"

    submitted by /u/Ninjoe42
    [link] [comments]

    Sales Slump

    Posted: 26 Mar 2019 09:47 AM PDT

    I've been in a B2B sales role for almost 2 years now. I was top 5% in the nation last year in my role and killed it. For the past 2 months I've been in a rut and I feel like absolute shit about it. I just wanna hear from other sales reps on if they have gone through something like this. Any advice, words of wisdom?

    submitted by /u/denger21
    [link] [comments]

    How hard is it to go remote [Saas]

    Posted: 26 Mar 2019 12:17 PM PDT

    I got my first remote job in saas as an SDR with fast progress into AE's for most of the team.

    I want to move from my semi rural area to somewhere more urban but not crazy expensive. Imo the best way to have my choice of cities is be remote but still be somewhat near incase I need to work in an office.

    Anyone work remote?

    Does remote affect your pay?

    submitted by /u/sleepingtalent901
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone go from Outside to Inside sales?

    Posted: 26 Mar 2019 12:15 PM PDT

    Hey all,

    So currently I've been a copier AE for 1 year now and I'm just drained. My company is small so every lead and step of the sales process is done by ourselves out prospecting. I love the freedom of outside sales but despise having to do the cold calling/prospecting.

    I currently have a buddy in ADP and I'm thinking about transferring to their inside sales team. I've been told I'm good on the phones, so I feel like I'd kill it calling off a qualified lead list. Does anyone have experience going from outside to inside sales or have any advice?

    Thank you

    submitted by /u/vitent
    [link] [comments]

    Extra time, looking for side hustle

    Posted: 26 Mar 2019 06:15 AM PDT

    In sales at top tech company in Mass, fell into a great territory where I can exceed expectations and still have extra time. I can pick the tiny territory clean in 25 hours a week. 3 days in office 2 days WFH. Looking for some easy side work to switch things up as a mental break and make a couple extra bucks. Ideas?

    submitted by /u/morg2222
    [link] [comments]

    Selling for Eco Companies

    Posted: 26 Mar 2019 10:05 AM PDT

    Hi everyone.

    Can anyone recommend an innovative, eco-friendly company with offices in Europe? I don't mean companies with just a good environmental policy but where their entire goal is affirmative action against climate change and their products reflect that.

    I'm studying software engineering and my dream job is to sell software. But my conviction is that climate change is the most serious threat to humanity and I want to work for a company that combats it.

    If you're working at one I'd love to get a message from you.

    Cheers

    submitted by /u/hagridontherocks
    [link] [comments]

    Been thinking lately

    Posted: 26 Mar 2019 07:19 AM PDT

    Im in sales for over a year now and i work in an industry that is really interesting to me(music industry).

    Lately the business that i work for(and invested in) has decided to close and go for a different strategy (online courses) due to not enough sales and taking to much expenses, And For the past 2.5 months i haven't seen a paycheck because there aren't enough sales. The thing is I am the only sales person left in the company so now its me and the ceo in the sales department.

    Because of the situation that no one gets a salary i went and took a selling seminar (withdraw from emergency account because i was desperate) And got good training and a method to work with.

    My sales and prospecting have become a lot better than before but the struggle has not gone away... All of the workers who are still in the business have become negative and frustrated and i am slowly too (negativity is contagious), All my friends tell me to leave and get in to a steady business and here i am loosing my mind over what to do.

    I started thinking about leaving the business and start working as a copy writer in a marketing office to get myself out of this slump and practice valuable skills in businesses in order to improve myself and one day open a business of my own.

    Sometimes the idea of leaving everything sounds so right but also at the same time i dont want to leave everyone here and let the ship sink... Any help or advice would appreciated... Thank you

    submitted by /u/Galperovich
    [link] [comments]

    Resources for creating nice sales decks?

    Posted: 26 Mar 2019 07:13 AM PDT

    Hey folks
    I have an interview where I need to present a mock pitch with a deck. The presentation is Friday the 5th.
    I've already created the deck and the content is solid (I hope) but I'm not very good at making nice looking decks or doing anything that involves visual design.
    Does anyone have any good resources for making awesome looking decks? Even a service or someone I could hire to take what I made and make it look pro?
    Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/yovman
    [link] [comments]

    Enterprise Software Reps, what percentage do you make on software & services?

    Posted: 26 Mar 2019 07:05 AM PDT

    I am currently around 3% with an ASP of 75k for license and about 2.5 percent for services. Our sales cycle is on the longer side but I wanted to see how this aligns with other Enterprise software reps.

    submitted by /u/gi206
    [link] [comments]

    Started the new gig 3 months ago. I’ll make more but not enough. I’m sick of starting from zero every year and I want to get to 7-figures. Does anything like this exist?

    Posted: 25 Mar 2019 05:34 PM PDT

    I left my last gig about 3 months ago (SaaS company) to go to another SaaS company. I'll make more here. Made $160k at the last company and I'll hit $200k on bad years and $300k in a great year here.

    But I want more.

    I want 7-figures. And I'm sick of starting from scratch.

    And I hate that it seems like all SaaS guys jump every 1-4 years from company to company.

    I want to build a book. I don't want to have to constantly start over.

    Does this exist???

    submitted by /u/itsanothersalesman
    [link] [comments]

    How to Build Up Your Self Confidence in Sales

    Posted: 25 Mar 2019 12:27 PM PDT

    I've had a love/hate relationship with the likes of Grant Cardone, Gary Vee, etc. when in comes to finding ideas on how to feel more confident in my sales role. At times I feel inspired, but I often end up feeling like I'm not getting much real, actionable stuff. I'll admit to being a bit of a YouTube junkie and doing search after search to find some sort of "silver bullet" to get me comfortable.

    This video might have snapped me out of my search for answers: https://youtu.be/DDhdKBx0CEY

    I wonder if GC, GaryVee, etc. aren't better MARKETERS than they are teachers?

    Here is an example of an idea from Gary that I think is alluded to in the vid above, but for me rings hollow. https://youtu.be/_QKqjzij75Q

    As far as GC goes, I used to see him as a hard-core sales guy, but it seems to me that he has really shifted his focus to his "Cardone Capital" and real estate stuff. I'm starting to wonder if I should look elsewhere for sales inspiration.

    I've watched a lot of Jeb Blount vids (the fanatical prospecting guy) and I find him to be very to the point and helpful.

    Who else do you all turn to for sales motivation and how to hone your craft?

    submitted by /u/LibbyNator
    [link] [comments]

    Visually lay out my network

    Posted: 26 Mar 2019 02:50 AM PDT

    I'm looking to have lay my network of clients and referrers in a visual way which can be adapted as my network grows. Does anyone know of a tool I can use? I'm thinking that if I can see it in something like a mindmap style, that I can achieve more and focus on specific persons when I need to.

    submitted by /u/marcelduplessis
    [link] [comments]

    Sales Research

    Posted: 25 Mar 2019 05:40 PM PDT

    Hello everyone, I am a sales student at Baylor University. If you would take my survey for a research project I am doing, I would appreciate it greatly.

    https://baylor.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_4GiEcSVI0cQMYPX

    submitted by /u/chazdoobie69
    [link] [comments]

    Sales commissions may be getting reduced within the company I work for... and I'm about to sit with the Owner

    Posted: 25 Mar 2019 04:47 PM PDT

    I've worked Sales for a multi-billion dollar urban developer for the past 3 years. I have been the Top performer within the company for the past 2 years. It has been a fear of mine that the ownership of the company might reduce sales commission as pricing for our products has gone up by ~20% over a 2 year period. I work in a remote office so I don't see the other Sales people frequently but I've now spoken to two members of our Sales team within the past week that have mentioned that they've had conversations with ownership where ownership is planning to reduce our commission structure... I've been a little bit ticked with the owner of the company for the past 3 weeks as he burned 3 deals + released a 4th from a sale so they could go elsewhere... effectively throwing out $18k of my earnings on my BIRTHDAY. Frig (talk about a lousy way to start off a new year). He then went off for vacation for two weeks and came back and I hear about these changes being presented. He hasn't said anything to me, we generally get along quite well.. he likes me quite a bit as I turned one of his developments around after he had 3 of his other seasoned sales people all have a crack at it.. The new commission structure is exactly 2/3's of the previous structure, so it's a pretty substantial hit. Plus our prices our up substantially making the sales themselves more difficult. I earned good money last year but it was a busy year and my earnings are not out of the realm from other developers in my city..

    I am going to be sitting with him tomorrow morning to sign off on a couple deals I closed today - and I'm thinking of bringing it up...

    Has anyone been through a commission restructuring?

    Any suggestions for how to go about this amicably?

    He's earning more then ever and it feels greedy to be doing so well and then want to cut us down to 2/3's, am I wrong in thinking this way?

    I'm his top guy, he seems to respect me, I doubt he wants me to leave and I'm likely to be looking at opportunities with other companies if we go forwards with the restructuring.. do I tell him this?

    Has a restructured commission ever ended up as beneficial?

    Other thoughts?

    Let me know what you think.. I'm meeting with him tomorrow at 11am.

    submitted by /u/TheFrequentFly3r
    [link] [comments]

    What's your take on aggressive cold calling intros?

    Posted: 26 Mar 2019 12:49 AM PDT

    I sell a concept based on Google Ads, and thinking of starting my calls something like this:

    "Hello! My name is John Doe and today I will help you getting more customers! Do you have a couple of minutes?"

    Does anyone have experience with similar openings? My thoughts is that it will give me an aggressive mindset during the conversation and at the same time I'm telling the prospect what I can do for her.

    submitted by /u/MicheleScarponi
    [link] [comments]

    About to graduate, fearing that I’ve made a mistake.

    Posted: 25 Mar 2019 08:54 PM PDT

    Hi all!

    I'm graduating from undergrad in May and I'm looking to pursue sales. I'm graduating with a BS in marketing.

    I'm worried though. In order for me to attend school, I had to work full time to afford it. I paid my way through and fortunately have very little debt. I've been working full time in a luxury level retail environment (lease department inside of a Bloomingdales) and was able to rise through the ranks from associate all the way up to assistant manager. I've also been a top performer at my store for quite sometime and frequently made a bonus commission. So things were good for awhile.

    Unfortunately, this means I didn't get an internship while in school because I didn't have the time for it. Am I screwed without an internship? Will potential employers ignore me due to my 5+ years in retail?

    Any advice would be helpful, I'm just sort of stressing out.

    TL;DR: Soon-to-be-graduate is stressed about getting a job in the field since he missed out on an internship during school.

    submitted by /u/Bahamuts_Anus
    [link] [comments]

    Ever fire (or they quit) a toxic employee and see sales go up?

    Posted: 25 Mar 2019 11:43 PM PDT

    I'm just curious

    In February my friend who is a manager at another location in my company fired what he deemed a toxic employee. He said in March even though he was down a man he was 55% up compared to last month. Now granted there are some seasonal factors, but in the past the difference between Feb and March has typically been 15-30% with peaks in the 40% . We were talking about it and his opinion was that the employee was so toxic, he was holding others back.

    And by getting rid of the toxicity the whole team picked up steam.

    submitted by /u/sting2018
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment