• Breaking News

    Saturday, March 30, 2019

    Startups Mailchinmp vs Just using Gmail

    Startups Mailchinmp vs Just using Gmail


    Mailchinmp vs Just using Gmail

    Posted: 29 Mar 2019 08:17 PM PDT

    So Mailchimp has their rules and that is fine.

    However:

    What is the reason that companies just don't use a Gmail account to send their newsletter to people?

    I was researching Mailchimp and their competitors and then realized that Gmail has filters for sending mass emails and it is free and unhinged. Admin could simply sort their users emails into any required categories and copy/paste the emails into the BCC. Can anyone tell me why this wouldn't work? I do understand the unprofessionalism with using 'gmail' rather than your business name but other than that...?

    submitted by /u/Scotty11p
    [link] [comments]

    College student - should I start a startup or go the normal route?

    Posted: 29 Mar 2019 07:57 AM PDT

    I have a year left for the completion of my course. I had an idea, saw that there was potential for it and hardly any direct competitor - and made an initial MVP. Got really good feedback.

    Now, I'm at a crossroad. I can either pursue this further or go for an internship in Data Science or AI (topics that I really like!)

    I'm skeptical of pursuing the startup because:-

    1. I'm doing it by myself right now, my friends are not smart and self-motivated, so building the initial team is a problem because I'll have to work with strangers/mutual friends that I don't know that well (so they can turn out to be good/bad at the work)

    2. There is uncertainty all around. I'm confident I can execute, yet scared at the same time because anything can happen.

    3. I'd be missing out on other opportunities while I pursue it, like placements, internships, research projects etc. How does one take the decision on what opportunity is the best for them to pursue?

    Any general advice is welcomed as well.

    Note : I'm not dropping out, will pursue it alongside college, my college doesn't have a strict attendance criteria.

    submitted by /u/omlettefag
    [link] [comments]

    Licensing a territory. Online business service.

    Posted: 29 Mar 2019 06:57 PM PDT

    Our platform has been quite successful in a country in Latin America. About 25% of sales happen there. We are based in California, and rest of sales are about 60% US and rest mostly Europe.

    As a result of this in-country success, I was recently approached by a colleague that has tried to bring a similar US company to this territory, but with very little traction.

    Potentially, his group has the ability to have more boots on the ground and be able to dedicate budget and marketing efforts in a more effective manner. Thing is, this comes way earlier than expected. How should I value the licensing fee?

    Any thoughts?

    submitted by /u/ccristiani
    [link] [comments]

    What mobile platform should be targeted and to what degree?

    Posted: 29 Mar 2019 09:56 PM PDT

    I am an iOS developer with a concept that is targeting a primarily young demographic, like most users would be 10-25. I've got v1, working towards MVP for iOS. I'm wondering if there's anybody in this space and what their opinion would be in regards to prioritizing Android. Should release be delayed until we've got an Android app stood up and ready to launch with iOS or should we release on iOS alone and push back Android until the later?

    I've been spending a lot of my effort on standing up a back end that is viable for both platforms, but I'm now realizing that an Android app may be an absolute must for such a young (and potentially broke) demo! This is stressing me out and any input to ameliorate my distress should be much appreciated.

    I'm just writing extra now because my first submission was under 500 characters and was removed because of it. I'm thinking that this has got to be getting close. Superfluous. Colloquial. Long words.

    submitted by /u/danielsmith46
    [link] [comments]

    Is it too late to get investors?

    Posted: 29 Mar 2019 08:33 PM PDT

    I had an idea about a company which is coming to real life. I was wondering if it is the right time to get investors to invest in he company? It can be too early but nevertheless please advise me with your thoughts

    The advantages we have now:- 1. It's a great idea. 2. Targets almost 15% of the population. 3. User research has shown 100% upvotes 4. It's a gesture of goodwill towards the disabled. 5. The idea is totally unique.

    Disadvantages:- 1. The final product is not totally ready. It's only 45% done.

    submitted by /u/iloveyousunflower
    [link] [comments]

    In the founder's other board seat

    Posted: 29 Mar 2019 12:40 PM PDT

    So, I'm an experienced startup founder. A friend, also a founder, recently asked me to join his board in the "other founder's seat".

    Like many startup boards, the company's five-person board has:

    • two investor board seats
    • one "independent" board seat (founder-nominated, investor-approved)
    • one seat for the founder
    • one seat that the founder gets to fill unilaterally (this is me)

    In my previous experience, I've always thought of this as "the founder's other vote". Either a co-founder holds it, or someone who votes 100% of the time with the founder.

    Here's my question: A lot of business for this board is pretty standard and handled by email, like approving compensation for executives or making large purchases. I usually wait for the founder to vote before I give my approval to anything. Consequently, I'm almost always the last person to vote, sometimes a day or two after the discussion starts. I feel like I'm slowing down the process.

    Should I just go ahead and give my approval as soon as I get the notification? Wait a little while for the founder to ask me to hold off? Or always wait for them to vote before I do anything? Does everyone around the table recognize the restrictions inherent in my role, or am I going to get a reputation with these people as a flake?

    submitted by /u/afakenameimadeup
    [link] [comments]

    Advice for first hire?

    Posted: 29 Mar 2019 10:32 AM PDT

    We're a startup that just raised seed, and we're looking to make our first engineering hire. Does anyone have experience in this and have tips for us? I've heard some people recommend trying to hire friends first while others say to shy away from that. Also, what are people's thoughts on remote vs. in-house hire? We're in the bay area so there's definitely a significant premium to hiring in house.

    Also, what are some hiring channels that have been particularly effective? For instance, should we invest in a robust career page (we currently don't have one)?

    submitted by /u/dk_808s
    [link] [comments]

    How do you assess Junior Developers before hiring them?

    Posted: 29 Mar 2019 11:14 AM PDT

    We are hiring a few Junior developers now. Our team is about fifteen developers (all of them are middle and senior level) so we want to expand and create a mentorship program in our company. Recently, we've received a lot of resumes. Now we need to assess these candidates, and we are thinking about how to do that properly. Which extraordinary or new methods do you use for assessing Junior Developers? I've heard about trial hiring, what do you think about it? Perhaps, tests or just interviewing are enough?

    submitted by /u/Vladimirsvsv7777
    [link] [comments]

    interviews/chats/meetings for a startup?

    Posted: 29 Mar 2019 02:56 PM PDT

    I am due to graduate this May and I have a few interviews with a couple startups in my area. The closest one is in a few weeks. The company is a tech startup that has received its second round of seed funding and is ready to make new hiring decisions. I was Introduced to the CEO via email through a mutual acquaintance. We are scheduled to meet at a co-working space in my area and the CEO framed our meeting as a chat rather than a traditional interview.

    My questions:

    how is this similar/different to a traditional job interview?

    What questions should I ask?

    How should I dress? (Business casual, interview, overdress vs under dress, startup casual)

    What should I expect?

    submitted by /u/the-north_remembers
    [link] [comments]

    When can we start buying stuff against a business?

    Posted: 29 Mar 2019 10:50 AM PDT

    Hopefully I can post here without it getting auto removed :)

    Looking for some advice.

    Friend and I are starting a business together and we've got an app in development starting next week.

    We're currently going through Seed funding and are part of a government run funding scheme which is notoriously hard to get into and ends with a panel of investors presentation. We've had a small finding shot at the beginning of the scheme and we've been highlighted as a high potential start up - which is nice.

    We've put in around 15k ourselves so far and one thing we're looking to start doing is buying some kit specifically for and THROUGH the business to get things running a little quicker. Only a few small things. But the question I was hoping someone could help me with was this:

    When can you start charging things to the business?

    We're a Dublin based firm, but have yet to register as a ltd company. So is it possible that if we buy stuff now off of our own backs but through our business bank account, we can claim against it tax wise later? As a business purchase? Or are there strict rules to say you have to be registered to do that ?

    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Handaloo
    [link] [comments]

    First time Startup Employee?/Intern?/Co-Founder? in a strange situation.

    Posted: 29 Mar 2019 02:29 PM PDT

    I'm currently a Sophomore at Uni and was contacted by one of my professors almost a year ago asking if I had any interest in joining his startup.

    At the time I was very interested in the opportunity, admired this professor's work ethic and thought this would look great on my CV. So I signed the N.D.A and started work.

    It has been a little bit of everything, web design, research, managing other employees (students) and long-term projects. I am one of the first employees and hold a relatively high position, however, the startup is in it's fledgling stages and doesn't have investors/steady revenue yet.

    Recently, my professor has brought on more students as interns, as well as grad student as a manager and a remote programmer. I'm fairly certain all of which are not being paid.

    The problem is, I'm not sure where I stand in this company or what my compensation will be. As of now I have been working without pay as my professor has been promising equity discussions later this summer once the company is incorporated.

    All I have signed so far is the N.D.A and now I'm feeling the pressure of unknown compensation. I am planning to transfer to another university this coming fall and am not sure if I should quit and work on my own projects/make money this summer, or wait it out, receive equity and continue to work remotely.

    Any help on how to bring this up / value equity would be greatly appreciated!

    submitted by /u/redditpolldancer
    [link] [comments]

    Techies: Any advice on deciding individual contributor vs. management path?

    Posted: 29 Mar 2019 02:07 PM PDT

    I'm trying to decide between becoming a people manager and a senior individual contributor. I was interested in hearing people's experiences and tips on comparing the two. I'd rather be an IC but people manager always seemed like the cookie-cutter better option. I also get the impression that I might build up resentment as they guy at 40 who is good at tech but not really in control of his own destiny or training others.

    I'm looking to compare them in terms of career progression, salary comparison (typical), ability to switch to high paid jobs at other companies (I have a feeling ICs have a harder time keeping a foothold in terms of seniority and salary but who knows), requirements of being successful in either path, ...

    submitted by /u/dizzydes
    [link] [comments]

    How to split profits?

    Posted: 29 Mar 2019 09:40 AM PDT

    Several years ago a friend (Andrea) got this opportunity to start a new business. Our group of friends all thought it was a great idea and contributed equally (including Andrea) to the start up totaling about $2 million. We recently added some additional investors for expansion, and the business is now valued at about $9 million. We are all ecstatic about how well the business is progressing and give all the credit to Andrea, who not only runs the business as its president, but is also the primary person working to find additional investors. No one else in our group has an active role in the business. Company started with about four employees and now is about twenty persons. None of us has taken any money from the business, agreeing to keep it within the company for expansion. Andrea gets paid a salary from the business, and its comparable for a person in her position. Our plan is if the business keeps growing and reaches about a $20 million valuation, we are going to sell the company.

    Now we had all agreed that when we do cash out, before we each receive our share, we were going to give Andrea a cut first. And then Andrea will also get her equal share of what is left over as a regular shareholder. Because it was her initial idea, and because of all the hard work she has done. She easily works at least six days a week for the company, has to travel a lot, and has made sacrifices in the work she has put into the company. The question is how much of a cut should she deserve before the rest of us? I know people get finder fees or commissions, but we can't decide on what her compensation should be since she did find this business and has done a tremendous amount of work for it.

    Thanks for any advice.

    submitted by /u/sthome
    [link] [comments]

    Startup Idea v2

    Posted: 29 Mar 2019 04:59 AM PDT

    Following the previous post, I was glad to see that a lot of users gave advice or shared their thought, and i want to thank you all ! The idea became a company, I have a tech cofounder with 10 years' experience in outsourcing at a major IT company. The rest of the team consists of one developer with 1 year experience and one senior. Now the main problem is the outsourcing itself, I need some advice from where to start or how to start in getting clients for us to work for. More people will follow if manage to get some projects to work on. If you have any advice, i will be more than happy to hear it out. Cheers !

    submitted by /u/claudiuuidualc
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment