• Breaking News

    Friday, March 29, 2019

    Startups How much money to run an app?

    Startups How much money to run an app?


    How much money to run an app?

    Posted: 28 Mar 2019 01:13 PM PDT

    Hey all! Non-tech app founder here. I just launched on Apple and Android. Went through a development company to build it and they delivered, albeit far beyond their original timeline. But I have a functional app that has people interested a handful of early adapters.

    I payed a flat rate for the app development, and now i'll transition to maintenance only for a few months. What are some of the lesser known costs of sustaining an app, not counting iterations? I know there's server space, bug fixes, what else am I looking at and how much might it cost?

    Side note, I do plan on bringing on a tech co-founder or at least CTO in the future, I'm just waiting to get back to the states (stationed overseas with U.S. Air Force).

    Thanks guys. Much appreciated

    submitted by /u/CherishAlways
    [link] [comments]

    Advice for non-technical founder to learn coding

    Posted: 28 Mar 2019 08:30 PM PDT

    Hey everyone.

    From recent conversations with other founders I have been suggested that I should learn how to code enough to build functioning prototypes so I can attract good technical founders (I am non-technical). As much as I think this is a pretty good idea and I would like to learn this, I am not sure where to start.

    I know very minimal coding, I just know concepts and I understand how it works. However I am pretty analytical and good at math which is why I think I can pick up basic coding skills pretty fast. The issue is I am not sure where to start to learn in the most effective way so I can put what I learn to use right away through building my prototypes.

    Has anyone gone through the same learning curve? If so, where did you start and do you have any advice for me?

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/mmhhhmmmmm
    [link] [comments]

    Job offer from start up - have some concerns before I make a decision

    Posted: 29 Mar 2019 01:14 AM PDT

    Product: trading platform

    Pros: higher pay, good domain experience, interesting work, has decent backlog of clients

    Cons: longer commute, small/bare office, outdated tech being used, potential lack of mentoring, only 4 people

    My main concern I think is the outdated tech being used. Think Angular 1.x, Xamarin - the current application/website visually looks pretty bad in my opinion. However from talking to friends in the finance industry apparently it's pretty common for applications that they use to look pretty awful. But I'm worried that if they're already behind the curve in terms of the tech they're using, it might speak volumes about their technological intuitiveness.

    I'm also fairly junior still, and would want some kind of mentorship in terms of best practices etc. Is that something I can expect from a start up?

    What are your thoughts?

    submitted by /u/iwelcomejudgement
    [link] [comments]

    Should I incorporate my LLC in California or Delaware?

    Posted: 29 Mar 2019 12:48 AM PDT

    I recently incorporated an LLC in Delaware for the purpose of releasing app games on iPhone and Android. My CPA tells me that because I am a resident of California and file taxes here, there is no way to avoid the CA franchise tax of $800 per year in addition to the DE franchise tax of $300. He suggests I might be better off reincorporating in California, but the benefits are unclear. Given that I've set up my bank account, App Store account, and trademark filing under the current LLC, it's looking expensive and time-consuming enough that I might just want to eat the annual Delaware franchise tax indefinitely.

    Thoughts?

    submitted by /u/greglieb
    [link] [comments]

    does anyone here have experience with non profit startups?

    Posted: 28 Mar 2019 12:03 PM PDT

    I was a training and performance analyst for 15 years, quit to do something to give back to society. I happened to stumble into a group of very senior, influential people trying to solve a critical problem for non profits... they're all senior citizens into philanthropy. I thought initially they'd be running the outfit they were discussing forming and I could work in it... found out it's more like they expect me to set up the organisation myself while they act as advisors!

    I don't know the first thing about entrepreneurship practically speaking, so I've been trying to study and research. I'm just wondering how misleading it's going to be that most of the stuff I have come across is for the business sector.

    are the initial stages the same? did anyone have any useful pointers or experienced opinion to share please? I'd appreciate whatever inputs you could suggest. TIA!

    submitted by /u/dear_doofus
    [link] [comments]

    I have the opportunity to join an early stage startup, but don't know what questions to ask!

    Posted: 28 Mar 2019 08:59 AM PDT

    I've been talking with a co-founder of an early stage startup over the last month, and it seems we're moving in the direction of me joining the team. I've not worked at a startup before, and wanted to seek advice on the types of questions I should be asking to make sure I'm making a wise decision.

    They're hoping to close on funding in a few months, so the agreement would be that I work part-time for equity while keeping my current job until then, at which point I would be brought on full-time and salaried. Is this something that sounds reasonable?

    Thanks in advance for the help. And if this isn't the right sub, please point me in the right direction.

    submitted by /u/timmo1117
    [link] [comments]

    Talking to a VC in an hour

    Posted: 28 Mar 2019 12:40 PM PDT

    Hey everyone, I started a business a couple months ago and all I have is a website with content of my product and a pretty Instagram page with very little followers but amazing content. A well-known VC had his assistant reach out to me yesterday in order to set up a call with the VC's product manager and myself which is in about an hour! Any advice on how I should prepare?

    Do I give him all the information he asks for? Do I tell him my strategy? Should I have anything written in front of me during the phone call so I do not stutter my thoughts?

    submitted by /u/kruptworld
    [link] [comments]

    Does Customer Discovery means that I have to search a problem for my solution?

    Posted: 28 Mar 2019 06:09 AM PDT

    Pardon my ignorance, I'm just trying to learn how to properly build a startup. I just read Steve Blank's 4 step to epiphany. Right now we are on a customer discovery phase and here is what I get from that chapter: have a vision and make a MVP out of it, then search for customers that will buy it (the earlyvangelist).

    Isn't this just a solution in search of a problem, which isn't a good idea at all? Is there something that I missed? I don't think I totally get the concept of Customer Discovery, which we really need right now.

    submitted by /u/machine_story
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment