• Breaking News

    Sunday, March 31, 2019

    Personal Finance Employer is giving me way too much 401k match. Is there any harm in ignoring it?

    Personal Finance Employer is giving me way too much 401k match. Is there any harm in ignoring it?


    Employer is giving me way too much 401k match. Is there any harm in ignoring it?

    Posted: 31 Mar 2019 08:36 AM PDT

    At my company they offer 1/2 of what I put in up to me 10% and them 5%. It isn't specifically stated in the handbook but it was just known through word of mouth. I initially put in 10% through my first year just to get the match.

    Recently I've been set on retiring earlier so I decided to up my contributions to 25%. The HR lady physically came up to me to make sure it wasn't a typo in my email. She even made me put in writing that I wanted to change my contribution from 10% to 25% and wanted to tell me that I would still only get 5% from the company. Apparently it is extremely uncommon if not unheard of for employees to put in over 10%.

    I just checked my 401k transactions and saw that not only did I get my 25%, but the company matched 1/2 of that and contributed 12.5%.

    Now, I had heard in the past that they will match 1/2 of what I put in up to $5,000 total. That makes me hesitant to say anything in case I'm grandfathered into the old plan. And I can't really believe the HR lady because she just repeats what she has heard through word of mouth. Nothing is in writing anywhere and I can't talk to anybody about it because nobody knows what is going on. Our plant is a remote location from a company in a foreign country.

    What do I do?

    Edit: Can they come calling for it at a later date? How do returns and losses affect that? If they give me $500 and try to take it away but the market tanks, do they still take $500 or a "market adjusted" $500?

    /u/minorcommentmaker addressed this:

    https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans/401k-plan-fix-it-guide

    The rule for them not correctly following the plan is that they need to apply corrective action that ends up with you in the same position you would have been in if they didn't make a mistake.

    So they are supposed to take a "market adjusted" $500. If the market has gone up, they can take more than $500. If they market has gone down, they should take less than $500.

    submitted by /u/PM_ME_YOUR_KlTTlES
    [link] [comments]

    Having a wake up call moment about my finances.

    Posted: 31 Mar 2019 03:16 AM PDT

    (Edit: Wow thanks everyone so much this blew up way more than I thought it would. Trying to read through the comments at work but I really want to say thank you to everyone with their advice/general concern. Might post an update last month to hold myself accountable. It's a rough start but hey there's nowhere to go but up 😊)

    I'll have just enough to pay rent just in time before getting hit with a late fee. After that I'll be starting from the ground up. I need to be better about this so I'm just hoping this is a good strategy and open to any and all pointers:

    Before I was trying to eat a specific diet but for now I'll stick with pbjs and ramen (hey it's been a while so it'll be a treat)

    Also I work in a restaurant and eat out a lot and I just have to quit cold turkey now. Even with a discount just thinking about how many times I paid my job instead of my job paying me just makes me sick.

    I've been meaning to quit vaping and this became an even bigger motivation than to stop looking like a douche sometimes.

    Finally, I need to be more selfish. I live with two roommates and honestly they're family but I have to stop buying them lunches and coffee, it's a good habit in hindsight but man it can be hard to break and I'm literally afraid of changing the status quo.

    Anyways, thanks for letting me vent. I'm panicking, but not as much as I was before I wrote this and thought it through. And like I said I'd love any feedback.

    submitted by /u/somefuckindingus
    [link] [comments]

    Can someone tell me what the deal is with refinancing a mortgage?

    Posted: 31 Mar 2019 07:58 AM PDT

    Hi all,

    I have owned my home for about a year now and in the past couple of months I have been bombarded with refinance offers in the mail; all offering lower interest rates.

    Can someone explain what the fine print in all of this is? Also, I have no idea what the pro's/con's of refinancing are. Does it ever make financial sense?

    Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/AssDimple
    [link] [comments]

    Vanguard Target Date Fund

    Posted: 31 Mar 2019 06:34 PM PDT

    I've been blindly putting my Roth IRA money in the vanguard 2040 target date fund (VFORX), but I've recently been trying to make an effort to learn more about investing. I noticed that this fund says 90% stocks and 10% bonds is the target, but based on the guidelines I read, I should be much higher (I thought I should aim for 20-25% bonds). Some of the other guidelines say you could structure the breakdown on target date funds, but these numbers seem very different. Am I wrong in thinking the 2040 fund should be more conservative? Am I not understanding how these funds are designed?

    submitted by /u/PrestigiousCup8
    [link] [comments]

    Got a huge hospital bill this week

    Posted: 31 Mar 2019 02:52 PM PDT

    I went to the ER of a local hospital recently. When they filed with my insurance for $28,000 my insurance stated 'condition not covered' because the hospital and insurance company could not agree on a contract and the hospital was removed from their network this year.

    My insurance paid them $2,000 and now I have received a balance bill from the hospital demanding $26,000 dollars.

    My state (Tennnessee) does have a new law that states insurance companies must in reimburse out of network emergency providers at the 'usual and customary' in network rate. It appears mine has not done this

    There is also a law that states facilities must inform the patient at the time of providing service that their facility is considered 'out of network'.

    I did sign all the check in paperwork, all though it was not presented to me until half way through my visit, and of course I didn't read it all. The registration clerk told me it was a 'permission to treat'

    This week the hospital sent me a letter saying I could apply for financial assistance if I submit my last 2 tax returns... (I make 100k a year)

    I plan to appeal my insurance company. Other than that do I have any options ???

    submitted by /u/mmutk
    [link] [comments]

    Lenovo cancelled order, sent anyway, didn't give me a way to send back -- now in COLLECTIONS!

    Posted: 31 Mar 2019 08:34 AM PDT

    So, I've posted this to the Lenovo forums and will follow up with them by phone on Monday, but thought I'd ask folks here for advice on how to pursue this. I have worked for years to build by credit rating back up, and am terrified of anything that could ill-affect it now. Here's the story:

    On February 5th I ordered a bluetooth keyboard from Lenovo. Immediately after ordering I realized I could have purchased on Amazon for a few bucks more but had it delivered in two days instead of 2-3 weeks from Lenovo (their slow shipping is a separate story...). I called Lenovo customer support within minutes and they told me the order would be cancelled. I didn't expect a refund immediately, but assumed the issue was resolved and went ahead and order a keyboard from Amazon.

    Fast forward two weeks and I get an email saying the Lenovo order has shipped. I contact them via Twitter DM and they acknowledge their mistake. They tell me to refuse shipment when it arrives so it can be returned. I live in an apartment building where packages are placed in a central location, and in any case, packages arrive while I'm at work. Refusal is impossible, and I tell them this. I ask what to do --- no response. I tell them I'm going to be disputing the charge with Amex if I don't hear back.

    I hear nothing so I dispute the charge.

    A month later I get an email from accounts payable at Lenovo asking why I hadn't paid for this item (clearly they don't communicate with customer support). I explain why in an email. They don't reply.

    This Friday I get a letter from a DEBT COLLECTION agency telling me I have 30 days to reply over this "debt." (Of course, it arrives Friday, is dated 7 days earlier... anything these firms can do to make it harder for you to meet the requirements).

    I've read up and know there are ways to dispute debts like this in writing, hopefully preventing them from ending up in your credit report. But I can't believe I'm even at this point, over a $75 charge no less.

    Sadly, I am willing to just pay the firm to make this go away (though I know even if I do that sometimes the problems don't go away). I CANNOT have a nick on my credit report. If this was just Lenovo bugging me I could continue trying to return the keyboard. But now that it's in the hands of a debt collection firm (I'm not sure if they are simply collecting for them or have bought the debt? That might be relevant here), it's a whole new ball game. Keep in mind this all happened in less than 2 months. I suppose let this also be a warning if you plan to deal with Lenovo for anything. I'm a longtime Thinkpad buyer but never again.

    What do folks think is the best course of action here?

    EDIT:

    Several people have pointed out I should have taken more initiative to return the item. I am willing to concede that. I felt that Lenovo was screwing up so it was on them to offer me a way to return. Whether that was right is debatable. In any case I obviously would have pursued that much quicker if I had any idea this would result. I may have been naive. BUT, at this point my ONLY CONCERN is avoiding this affecting my credit rating. I have spent years getting it back up and can't fathom it going down 100 points again. My problem is that I don't trust Lenovo to resolve this ONCE a debt collection firm is involved. And if I just pay the firm (which I am more than happy to do) that would apparently actually ensure it DOES end up on my credit report? I could dispute the debt, but honestly I would prefer to just pay it -- but according to several posters here once a DC firm is involving disputing is my best bet? I do not want to have to take this up with each rating agency. This seems so easily solved since I'm willing to pay whomever, but that doesn't appear to be the case...

    EDIT #2: Here is the actual way the debt collection letter begins. Some here have suggested it might not mean the debt has been sold:

    "Creditor: Lenovo Claim #: xxxx Account #: yyyy Amount Due: $74.02

    This account has been listed with our office for collection..."

    submitted by /u/metsoh
    [link] [comments]

    I just found out I’ve been underpaid for the last 7+ months

    Posted: 31 Mar 2019 06:35 PM PDT

    I've worked for a certain large retailer since August 2016. Last year, I got a promotion which (supposedly) comes with a 10% raise. This is in addition to the 2% annual "raise" (I put raise in quotations because this annual raise is to adjust for yearly inflation). The minimum pay in my area (Colorado) just got bumped up $12/hr within the past month or so. With this, all employees signed a piece of paper stating that our pay got increased. My pay as of today is $12.90.

    Coworker #1: Has been working at this retailer since ~August 2018 (~7 months) compared my 2 years and 7 months. (S)he has held the same position as me and has never been promoted. We both get equal pay.

    Coworker #2: Started out as a cashier and got promoted (same as me). Worked here for 1+ years compared to my 2 years and 7 months. (S)he gets paid $13.20.

    I was talking to another coworker to see if my job code was changed when I got promoted. It was, but they kept my secondary as a cashier because they wanted me to be able to assist on the front-end. She said similar things have happened to other employees because of tenor? Basically those who have worked here longer get payed less because they lose out on wage increase or something of that nature.

    Sorry if I'm rambling a bit, I'm a bit livid right now as it looks like I never got my raise 7 months ago and have been underpaid this whole time.

    submitted by /u/wankingwhale
    [link] [comments]

    Got taken off schedule after getting a second job.

    Posted: 31 Mar 2019 05:13 AM PDT

    Hi, please help with friendly advice. I recently went part time at a job in the hospitality industry to work a second job. At first, my boss cut my time even more, and then completely removed me from the schedule. What are my options here? I haven't gone in to talk to him yet because I'd like to get a sense of how exactly to confront him. Am I just expected to file for unemployment at this point?

    Thanks for your help.

    submitted by /u/ginajeans
    [link] [comments]

    Should I surrender my ex-wife's car?

    Posted: 31 Mar 2019 09:18 AM PDT

    Let me break this down real quick and I'll get to some details.

    • Recently divorced
    • Recently laid off from work
    • Monthly bills $2,100
    • Savings $3,355
    • Unemployment Insurance $450/wk ($1,800*/month)
    • Credit is shot

    I got "her car" in the divorce, the loan is in my name and it's registered in my name. I've been trying to get rid of it for months with no luck. The balance of the loan is at $9,600, highest offer I've gotten for the car is $7,000. The insurance and monthly payment comes out to $425/month. I talked with the creditor about what options there might be, and it was left between paying off the difference between the balance of the loan and what I'm offered, or surrender the car. They won't release the title/lien to another buyer until the balance is paid off, and they won't refinance the loan for the remainder of the balance if I sold the car for less than the balance.

    Technically, I could afford to keep this vehicle while I was working, but now I can't since I'm out of work. I'm not really sure what other options might be out there. I know surrendering the vehicle will have an impact on my credit (which is shot anyways) and I could end up being held responsible for whatever remaining balance of the loan the creditor can't recoup from selling the car.

    Given my monthly unemployment income is less than what my monthly bills are, and I'm not really sure how long I can keep going before unemployment and savings run out, I feel the best option is to get rid of this car ASAP, but I cannot sell it for the life of me. Help?

    *Some additional information: - I have a 2nd car - I got stuck with the debt from the marriage/divorce

    submitted by /u/TalmidimUC
    [link] [comments]

    Former employer still contributing to 401k?

    Posted: 31 Mar 2019 07:16 AM PDT

    Hi PF,

    Already posted this in r/sprint but wanted to know if anyone here had any experience with this or had any insights. The obvious answer is to attempt to contact payroll, but I can't begin that lengthy process until the weekend is over.

    I worked for Sprint for about 18 months and left back in early 2017 to join the army. While working there I contributed to the 401k with Fidelity. Me being a stupid 20 year old withdrew all of the money from it when I left and left $5 in there for some reason. Fast forward to yesterday, just for the hell of it I log into my sprint 401k, and it says my balance is about 1.1k. Looking into it, Sprint has been putting matching contributions into my account randomly every few months during 2018. One of the titled " forfeiture amount" and the rest are normal matching contributions.

    Does anyone know why a company would keep depositing money into a 401k after you leave the company? I wouldn't normally question it but I want to roll this amount into my TSP, but if they are going to keep contributing for whatever reason I want to wait to roll it over until they are done.

    submitted by /u/Peashooter4187
    [link] [comments]

    Can my fiancé gift me money for a down payment on a home without tax implications?

    Posted: 31 Mar 2019 05:57 PM PDT

    Fiancée and I are buying a home, our lender is fine that we're not married and from what I understand if you're engaged it's acceptable to gift money for a down payment.

    My real question is will she have any tax implications? I read there's a form she may need to submit at tax time for the lifetime gift exemption, but beyond that will anything happen when she files for 2019?

    We're in Minnesota if that matters.

    Thanks /r/pf !

    submitted by /u/I_have_shoes
    [link] [comments]

    Is there any reason to dispute a lower credit card limit?

    Posted: 31 Mar 2019 08:03 PM PDT

    AmEx recently dropped my limit on a blue cash card from $22k to $12k based on the low amount of spending on the account. Most months I spend just a few hundred and almost never more than $1000. I doubt the lower limit will affect my credit score since I have other cards with varying limits that put my total credit line above $80k and I never have more than 2-3% on the cards (I pay them off each month). So, as far as I'm aware of, this lower limit really doesn't matter at all. But hoping for a reality check if I'm missing something and there's a reason I should call them and ask for reconsideration for any reason. Any other similar experiences or ramifications from the credit line decrease? Really appreciate any thoughts on it.

    submitted by /u/LKDOxF
    [link] [comments]

    Accept gift of large house and renovate or no?

    Posted: 31 Mar 2019 01:38 PM PDT

    I'm looking for advice on whether to accept my parents' offer of their house. They own a very large home in a high cost of living area (approx. 8 bedrooms/8 bathrooms). There is a 3-bedroom apartment of the house where I currently live and pay rent with my wife and daughter. TLDR at the bottom.

    My parents are getting to the age where maintaining the house doesn't make sense anymore. They have offered to gift the house to us in exchange for living in the apartment rent-free, but would pay utilities. At first thought, it seemed awesome, but now realistically, I'm wondering if it makes fiscal sense.

    The house is more than a hundred years old, so it would probably need at least $200,000 of work to fix it up. I imagine that would increase the value of the home even more.

    My wife stays at home and I make about $200,000 per year. We have about 80,000 saved toward our goal of a 100,000 down payment on a house (possibly a starter home). We are around 30 years old and would like to have more children, so the space may come in handy down the road.

    Is this a good decision or will it be more expensive in the long run? What should we consider when making the decision? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Neither of us have ever owned property.

    TLDR: My parents offered to gift my family of three their large, but very old house - what should we think about when considering whether it is worth it?

    submitted by /u/throwaway1yhouse
    [link] [comments]

    Wanting to begin putting in money to a savings account so that I am less likely to spend it.

    Posted: 31 Mar 2019 05:31 PM PDT

    Background: I am 18, high school senior, part-time job that earns about $8000/year, around $700 in my bank account right now, spend around $300/month (looking to cut this down soon by cutting out un-necessary food purchases). I am just now realizing that I need to be taking my finances a bit more seriously, and am trying to find the best ways to do so. For a while I spent most my money on crap I don't need, and want to begin saving instead of spending.

    This summer I plan on selling the various electronics and things I no longer use/need. I also will continue working at my current job, but will have to stop once I go into college, as I will be too far away. (I do want to keep the job as they offer a decent $1000/year scholarship that feels useful.) I want to save a majority of this money, but want to do so in a way that is more likely to make me money/not be losing out on inflation (however you want to look out it). I am currently looking at the PNC bank high yield savings account. These savings would likely be my emergency fund, as these sorts of accounts are relatively liquid. (That actually leads me to one of my questions that their website doesn't answer: does this account have a withdrawal limit? If so, what is it?) I feel as if having my money in one of these accounts would discourage me from using it, but give me enough freedom to access it if needed. My question is, is there a better type of account I should be looking at? Is a savings account even worth it at this point, or should I keep my assets easy to access?

    Tl;dr: 18yo looking to start a savings account, $700 in my current accounts, $300/month spend (will be cutting down), and will be selling lots of stuff I don't use this summer. Does a savings account make since for me at this stage? Or should I wait until I have more liquid assets.

    submitted by /u/PFThrowaway123321
    [link] [comments]

    [16 y/o] What bank account should I get?

    Posted: 31 Mar 2019 09:38 AM PDT

    Hey everyone. This summer I'm applying for a job, I'll get my license, my parents are giving me a car, and I'm going out of town without them for a while. It seems like I'm slowly becoming more independent. One step I heard I need to take is establishing a bank account so I can have my money accumulate in there rather than keep a thick wad of 20's in my desk. My parents are great so I don't need to worry about them pulling something on my finances. My dad says I have a kids account leftover from when I was little at Dearborn Federal Credit Union. Neither of us have any idea how that account's structure changed since then. I don't really know much about bank accounts. I want good interest and stuff obviously, and maybe a debit card if it's not a hassle. I'd really appreciate any input or advice y'all could give me!

    submitted by /u/cocopuffdaddy1
    [link] [comments]

    Bank transaction went missing?

    Posted: 31 Mar 2019 06:05 PM PDT

    On March 11th, I was looking to buy a car and decided to put a down payment on the vehicle. I used my TD Bank debit card and they processed my payment using Square and everything went through perfectly. A few days later some things happened and they deal fell through. I requested a refund for my $500 deposit and they told me they'll be on it as soon as possible. It took me calling every few days until March 26th for my money to return to my account. It showed up as a pending transaction as usual and I thought everything was fine. 

    Two days after, I noticed that the pending transaction is no longer visible on my account and I immediately called the car dealership who argued that everything went through on their side since they sent me a receipt and they'd been my permission to take it back. I called my bank and got a few different answers.

    1. The money would become visible after the "overnight refresh". It's a common thing.
      1. They've never heard of this happening before and don't really know what to do.
      2. They don't see it on my account so I'd have to talk to the dealership again or I can dispute the original transaction.

    What should I do? I've been needing this money back and it's like my bank and the dealership are just sending me back and fourth.

    Sorry for the structure and any grammatical errors. I'm at work on my phone!

    submitted by /u/tormske
    [link] [comments]

    Would you consider your children’s social security survivor benefits as part of your house hold income to pay off debt or as money that should be saved for your children’s future, if you were able to survive with out them.?

    Posted: 31 Mar 2019 07:28 AM PDT

    I wanted to get everyone opinion here, I've had full custody of my 4 children for three years now, my ex-wife never gave me a cent for child support. She passed 6 months ago and now my kids receive survivor benefits. It's a huge help and I've been able to pay off debt faster because of it. I mentioned that to my mother and she says that isn't right and I should be saving that money for my kids because we were surviving with out it before and it's their money. I completely disagree, what does r/personalfinance think?

    I recently started Dave Ramsey's baby steps and am really buckling down on my budget and paying off debt. All I have left are student loans I wasn't planning on paying but Dave Ramsey really pushes being debt free. I have 20k saved up, and according to the baby steps I'm suppose to throw that all (except $1000 emergency fund) at my debt. I could have all my student loans paid by the end of the year, and have a 3-6 month emergency fund and a down payment for a house by the following year.

    As a side note I have 20k in available credit Incase any emergencies come up. That $1000 emergency fund doesn't make me feel comfortable. And my student loans have an interest rate of 4% so I don't necessarily feel that paying $36,000 in student loans is mandatory right now. My kids are 3, 4, 5, and 8 so I have time to build college funds if I don't fund them in the next year or two. Any input is appreciated.

    submitted by /u/Dre6485
    [link] [comments]

    Do I still owe state taxes?

    Posted: 31 Mar 2019 06:27 PM PDT

    I am a resident of North Carolina who worked in North Dakota for a few months in 2018. When I filed my taxes via TurboTax this year I was told that I owe taxes to North Carolina. When I got my federal tax return I saw that the value I received was slightly lower than expected, by approximately the amount requested by North Carolina actually. Have my state taxes been taken out of my Federal Return already or do I need to pay them off? I never received a paper notice so the NC Department of Revenue isn't much help. i can't find a Notice Number anywhere (which would have been on the paper notice) and I can't pay online without one.

    submitted by /u/runger723
    [link] [comments]

    My mothers crazy credit card debt just came crashing down on my savings account..

    Posted: 31 Mar 2019 02:01 PM PDT

    Hi all.. I am new to reddit but looking for some insight or advice as to what is going on for me at the moment.

    I have a savings account with moneys from my father after he passed away. It wasn't very much but it was enough to be a good cushion.

    My mother is linked to the account because she is the one who has deposited money in there for me, also this account is old, from before I was 18. I am 24 now.. so I think I just never thought to take her off since she was my guardian on the account when I was younger.

    Anyways, I got an email from my bank saying I had a 35k hold on my account. basically, the account reads -25k now, and I called and they said the hold is from American Express putting a hold on all of the money (and double my moms debt, can someone explain why they hold double the monetary amount of her debt??) in my account.

    I'm freaking out. I am young. I have been on my own since I'm 17. I'm trying to build my credit. I have worked hard to almost pay off my car. I work my ass off and am responsible with my financials, but my mother (whose life has never been together) seems to be ruining everything I've worked hard for. I can't let her ruin my life because I want much better for myself than she has for herself.

    What the hell do I do? I feel like I have no control.

    She told me she has a lawyer handling it, and she's sorry, but I don't trust her. I also had no clue she was in debt.

    Also- my car is cosigned under her name. it is nearly paid off. Should I pay it off completely ASAP and put the title in my name? I can afford to pay it off with my personal funds no problem.

    I'm afraid to pay for it with a different payment method (payments were coming out of our joint account) because I don't want the credit card company to come seize more money from my personal bank account. (yes I have my own account)

    Is there anyway I can get myself removed from this account?? I want no ties to her finances.

    Someone help, I am scared, panicking and have no idea what to do.

    submitted by /u/coldplaceswarmfaces
    [link] [comments]

    What is the purpose of opening an account with a local credit union and is it necessary?

    Posted: 31 Mar 2019 06:21 PM PDT

    I see this advice on here a lot but don't know why it's always reccomended.

    I was considering opening up 2 ally/Alliant accounts for checking/savings after moving but now I'm wondering if it's worth opening up an account with a local CU instead? I only see one in the nearby area but it looks like they have minimum balances and fees.

    My family also wants me to open up a BoA account in case we ever need to transfer money quickly (same bank) but I don't think I want to manage this many accounts

    So my question is, if I decide to stick with Alliant/ally or another online bank, should I also open up an account with a local CU? What should I be looking for in a good CU? What can CUs do that an online bank can't?

    submitted by /u/haha_thatsucks
    [link] [comments]

    My mom has $2000 in profit sharing, but she doesn’t know what company has it

    Posted: 31 Mar 2019 02:35 PM PDT

    Long story short, my mom worked at a bank 1999-2009. She left and, about 7 years later was sent a letter saying that she had money / profit sharing money that she never took out. For reasons I won't get into here, she didn't take out the money after being told there was about $2000 that was hers.

    Fast forward to today, and she now wants the money, but she doesn't know what company has it. Her bank got bought out by another bank and that bank doesn't have any records of which company it worked with during her tenure at the bank.

    Is there any way to find out which company has it? Any advice would be appreciated!

    submitted by /u/champybaby
    [link] [comments]

    Am I supposed to pay these property taxes?

    Posted: 31 Mar 2019 07:53 PM PDT

    I closed on my condo in June of 2018. I'm 25 so a lot of the terminology still confuses me.

    I got a property tax statement (2018 values for taxes payable in 2019) in the mail last week that has first half taxes and second half taxes due.

    On the 1st half payment stud, it says "Records show that taxes are escrowed - call if not escrowed". And I'm not entirely sure what that means, am I supposed to pay the first half tax by the due date or did I already pay it last year when I closed? Very confused.

    EDIT: some numbers

    Total Taxes 2019: $1270 1st half: $635 2nd half: $635

    I bought my place for $165,000.

    submitted by /u/chargingblue
    [link] [comments]

    Should I sell my car and look at buying a house?

    Posted: 31 Mar 2019 02:57 PM PDT

    I currently live in a city in the South East and work as a nurse on night shift. My gross annual income is a little over $50,000. I graduated in August of 2018 and purchased a 2014 Camry SE for $15,000 (i got more on my loan for taxes, title, and fees) and paid zero down on it. I moved to this city in September and am currently in a year lease at an apartment complex 3 miles from the hospital (1 bed/1 bath with no roommate). The only debt I have is $14,600 for the car and $1,000 on a credit card that is 0 intrest for 18 more months, and no student loans. I currently only have $1000 in savings with $2000 in checking. I am wanting to purchase a home around the time my lease ends that is priced around $150,000 (the average price for homes in that area). Should I continue to make payments on my car ($289) until my lease ends and then sell it? Or should I sell it in the next month or two and buy a beater car to save up for a down payment? kelly blue book says trade in value is $10,500 or private value is $12,900. Or I should I continue to rent until I save 20% down payment? I just don't like the idea of paying $949 a month for rent when it is not going to pay off anything when a mortage would be around the same or cheaper.

    Other information: I paid for my car by myself, along with school, bills, and rent. I graduated in August but did not start my job until October because of NCLEX and other personal situations. I estimate that I could save around $6000-$8000 by september 2019. I also work a good bit of overtime and have a second job that allows me to pick up hours PRN and I am 21 years old.

    submitted by /u/lexbfife
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment