• Breaking News

    Thursday, March 28, 2019

    My friend and I have been thinking about opening a Marijuana trimming business. Has anyone on here done any similar or do you have any advice? small business

    My friend and I have been thinking about opening a Marijuana trimming business. Has anyone on here done any similar or do you have any advice? small business


    My friend and I have been thinking about opening a Marijuana trimming business. Has anyone on here done any similar or do you have any advice?

    Posted: 27 Mar 2019 12:12 PM PDT

    We live in Washington, where it's decriminalized. Basically, we would provide seasonal subcontracted labor when it comes to trimming season, saving them the hassle of looking for seasonal workers or purchasing expensive machinery. Does anyone have any experience in this field or any advice or insights?

    submitted by /u/dandamando
    [link] [comments]

    Would you consider making an employee a partner in the business ?

    Posted: 27 Mar 2019 04:35 PM PDT

    I'm an employee in a 10yr old small business. The business was pretty much breaking even till I started working for it about 2 yrs ago. Within 6 months of my joining and learning the ins and outs of the business I saw a ton of critical issues in the existing operations that were causing it to bleed money 24x7. I managed to fix most of the issues and make the business more profitable while also suggesting new ideas and strategies that have made its profits grow over 500% since I started.

    At the same time, the owner has now become quite complacent due to family commitments and isn't able to devote much time towards the business anymore. His profits are at all time highs with minimum involvement and he couldn't be happier.

    Because I pretty much manage the daily operations and also keep adding to the growth of the business on a monthly basis, I figured it would be a better option for me to ask for a share of the profits and maybe a little stake in the company instead of remaining an employee for the rest of my life.

    Would you consider such an offer from an employee like me ?

    submitted by /u/koochamonsta
    [link] [comments]

    Crisp POS System???

    Posted: 27 Mar 2019 10:05 PM PDT

    I'm trying to find the best place to post this and figures i would start here. I manage a newer, family owned restaurant. We recently got a new Point of sales system called Crisp. They seem fairly new, and we are having SO many problems with the system glitching and stuff. I'm wondering if anyone else has ever used this system before? If so did it work well for you/ your company?? Thank you!!

    submitted by /u/dogmom4lifeeeee
    [link] [comments]

    Sell my profitable business & invest the proceeds, OR continue on until the profits dry up?

    Posted: 27 Mar 2019 04:16 PM PDT

    Background: I am sole owner of a business that currently provides 225k/year of gross income. At this point, the business requires very little of my time. This allowed me to take on a full time job which I love and also pays me well. I'm now ready to consider selling the business and investing to proceeds for my eventual retirement. One of the reasons for considering selling is that the ongoing income of the business is a big unknown. The 3 year picture is very good. The 5-10 year picture is fuzzy (due to changing technologies).

    The 2 choices I have for moving forward are:

    1. Keep the business and invest as much of the proceeds as possible towards retirement yearly. The amount of that yearly investment will most likely slowly decrease over time.
    2. Sell the business now and invest the entire proceeds toward retirement.

    My question is: As I look for a Financial Advisor to help make this decision, what questions should I be asking? Are there any models publicly available where I can plug in my $$ values to help make this decision?

    submitted by /u/rugdivot
    [link] [comments]

    In a business of just-me, how much do you think I should prioritize to hire a first employee?

    Posted: 27 Mar 2019 12:21 PM PDT

    Hi All,

    Let us assume, the starting wage of said future employee is $12 per hour at 40 hours per week. That's easily calculable, but I'm wondering about complying with state and federal laws on things I've yet to figure out, plus benefits, and other various accommodations. There's also the calculation of how much an employee would contribute to profitibility which would offset the overhead of hiring said employee. After all, 2 can do a lot more than 1.

    This is pretty far out right now, but something worthy of consideration for the future. So what do you think? About how much should one expect to be bringing in per month in order to hire one more? Just your general opinion. We don't need to calculate to the penny.

    Thanks in advance.
    iambookus

    submitted by /u/iambookus
    [link] [comments]

    Sales position for a small company looking to grow. How do you pay someone for this?

    Posted: 27 Mar 2019 08:11 PM PDT

    This is a Small cleaning business looking to grow and we want to hire a sales person. Basically, we clean new construction homes. We want to seek out other builders and clean their finished homes. My boss has no idea where to start with this or what to even offer in pay. How would we go about this? Hourly plus percentage of sales? Would you pay percentage each check or quarterly? I've never had to do this before and I want to help. We have no sales person other than my boss (the owner) and he wants to step away from that.

    Where do I start?

    submitted by /u/chelle_mkxx
    [link] [comments]

    Free Tools for Business Owners

    Posted: 27 Mar 2019 09:33 PM PDT

    What free tools and templates are you currently using that are useful to you in business?

    And what free tools and templates would you find useful?

    submitted by /u/MaxMilen
    [link] [comments]

    "Rework" By Jason Fried | Animated Summary. Hope you find it useful.

    Posted: 28 Mar 2019 03:15 AM PDT

    Link to video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsaZU-HW18k&t=364s

    I've done summaries of other books like:

    • the lean startup
    • the hard thing about hard things
    • crush it!
    • delivering happiness
    • the personal mba
    • the $100 startup
    • zero to one
    • grit
    • the compound effect
    • the prince
    • the slight edge
    • meditations
    • who moved my cheese?
    • the one thing
    • the 6 pillars of self esttem
    • 7 habits of highly effective people
    • secrets of the millionaire mind
    • thinking fast and slow
    • the power of positive thinking
    • think and grow rich
    • how to win friends and influence people
    • rich dad poor dad
    • the subtle art of not giving a fuck
    • models by mark manson
    • the power of now
    • 12 rules for life by jordan peterson
    • the 10x rule
    • the inside out revolution
    • man's search for meaning
    • how to stop worrying and start living
    • millionaire fastlane.
    • and some others...

    If you're interested and want to subscribe here's a link:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfbLDMh6uGOZePAfqqjVZ-g?sub_confirmation=1

    If you'd prefer to read the script instead of watching the video, here it is:

    Rework by Jason Fried and David Heinemeier

    The Book's Main Idea

    Rework is a book that shows readers how they it is not always a must to have tons of cash and other resources to start a business. After reading this book, you will understand and appreciate the fact that it is actually possible to run a business and turn it into a successful venture by just investing in minimal amount of effort and resources.

    It is a power-packed advice that offers some real, authentic and pragmatic advice to the readers.

    If you're interested in this book you can get 2 audiobooks for free with a trial of audible using the link in the description of this video.

    One of the powerful pieces of advice shared by the authors in the book is:

    "If you want to do something, you've got to do it now. You can't put it on a shelf and wait two months to get around to it. You can't just say you'll do it later. Later, you won't be pumped up about it anymore. Inspiration is a magical thing, a productivity multiplier, a motivator. But it won't wait for you. Inspiration is a now thing. If it grabs you, grab it right back and put it to work."

    The book begins with the two authors discussing how the business world has changed radically over the past two decades and it is now quite normal for anyone to have their business without having a huge investment.

    This summary covers the main points covered in the book. I will cover several parts broadly:

    1: Failure, Growth and Workaholics

    This part debunks some myths about success and failure where the authors highlight the point that failure is not always a precondition for being successful in life, and one does not always benefit from learning from their mistakes. Fried and Heinemeier also emphasize on how one should not always expect to expand their small business and it is okay if someone does not wish to achieve massive growth because what's more important is that you keep your business afloat. Lastly, they discuss how often, people who appear to be workaholics aren't as productive as they are perceived to be because they waste a lot of time worrying about tiny details.

    2: Getting Started

    In this part, the authors talk about how the term 'entrepreneur' often makes people associate many expectations with starting one's business. Instead of focusing on that, one should concentrate on being a starter and just start off with their business which doesn't require anyone to have a business degree and only focus on exactly what needs to be done.

    3: Make Progress

    This part discusses different aspects associated with making progress in business. Heinemeier and Fried explain constraints/challenges are part of the process when starting and running a business. They (the authors) then go ahead to explain the need for a positive outlook if success is to be realized in the midst of the challenges. According to the book, a positive outlook provides a conducive environment for creativity, which translates to solving of problems innovatively.

    The book also talks about how one should build a good product, which focuses on solving one solution/aspect and making it as good as possible instead of cramming 10 different ideas into that same product and turning into a 'half-assed' product as they call it which lacks structure.

    4: Be Productive

    In this part, the authors talk about the different interruptions that often limit productivity such that people don't get much done even after working for long hours. According to the book, one of the biggest killers of productivity is endless meetings that lack any agenda and structure so if one has to have a meeting, it must be on a clear agenda, should begin on time and have only the concerned people involved in it.

    The authors talk about how essential it is to build momentum in business to stay motivated and achieve progress as well as how that can best be achieved through completing tasks effectively and then starting off with the next one as quickly as one can.

    5: Competition

    This part highlights how competition is an inevitable factor in the corporate world and often when entrepreneurs encounter competition, they have an urge to copy competitors.

    The authors emphasize on avoiding that urge at all costs and always creating their own mark by being authentic in their business. They also stress on the importance of not always having to do a lot to be successful in business and instead focusing more on simplifying the problems experienced by the target audience.

    6: Promotions

    This part of the book talks about how it is important to promote a business in a manner that it makes the audience come directly towards it. This can happen if entrepreneurs create a base of loyal customers who spread good word of mouth about their work. The authors also advise readers (entrepreneurs) to teach whatever it is they learn to others, as this helps them grow.

    They also highlight the need to know everything about everyone and how it is necessary to incorporate this into the business by explaining everything about the business to customers, as this helps them become more invested into it.

    7: Hiring

    Heinemeier and Fried explain how business owners should try out a certain task before hiring someone for that duty, as this helps them to understand the job properly (including how it needs to be executed).

    The book then goes on to talk about the need to find experienced people but not stress too much on hiring someone with decades of experience and focus more on looking for someone with the right skill even if he/ she does not have the relevant education for it.

    8: Damages and Apologies

    In this part, the authors discuss how bad things often happen in businesses and how important it is to accept mistakes, apologize to the people affected by it and address the problem effectively to improve on it. They also stress on the significance of treating customers as kings and providing them with excellent service.

    9: Culture is Important

    This part highlights the importance of having a company culture but goes on to educate readers to keep in mind that building a company culture isn't an overnight process. To build the right culture, business owners MUST understand what they want then train their staff in a manner that they wish to be treated because this treatment will reflect in their behavior and shape the organization's culture.

    submitted by /u/alwaysimproving95
    [link] [comments]

    Experiences with unlimited web development services?

    Posted: 28 Mar 2019 03:05 AM PDT

    Hi,

    My mother has a small restaurant and wants to have an own website and social media site. Recently, I saw services like www.sentcode.com which provide unlimited web dev & social media for a monthly fee. I understand that it will not replace a local shop, but I guess they can also deliver her expectations in a cheaper way. Does somebody have experience with this service?

    Best,

    Jay

    submitted by /u/hpobaschnig
    [link] [comments]

    Viability of A Vending business?

    Posted: 27 Mar 2019 09:13 AM PDT

    I was daydreaming about starting a vending business. I was thinking of starting with small candy vending machines and working my way up, but I have questions:

    -What type of insurance do you need? -Starting capital? -Do you pay a commission? -How do you find new locations? -Best ways to acquire machines and product? -What do you wish you knew when you started?

    Thank you for your input!

    submitted by /u/MaginTheBranded
    [link] [comments]

    Contract of lease (Opinions are welcome)

    Posted: 28 Mar 2019 02:41 AM PDT

    My business is Gaming console rental. I want to have an contract of lease. But im torn between hiring an attorney to do it for me or I'll do it by myself.

    submitted by /u/AlphaxWolf
    [link] [comments]

    GrubHub or UBEREATS?

    Posted: 27 Mar 2019 10:49 AM PDT

    I own a restaurant and am considering signing up with a delivery service. UBER charges ~30% but I can get it without any set up fees. I was wondering if someone could tell me more about GrubHub. I've been doing some research and it turns out that in my city it may be bigger than UBER but I'm unsure of the set up fees and percentage that they take. I've read that they take around 13-14% but I was curious on start up costs and whether it's worth the extra work since delivery would cut my margins. Would love to hear from ppl who have either platform and how their experience has been and which one is a better choice.

    submitted by /u/eastatlsanta101
    [link] [comments]

    Free Designer

    Posted: 27 Mar 2019 11:24 PM PDT

    Are you looking for a website designer? Logo designer? Business card designer? I'm willing to do any and all of the above for free to help grow my portfolio. If you need any of these services please comment or send me a DM!

    submitted by /u/DianaRoseee
    [link] [comments]

    What's the difference between having a business credit card or a personal credit card that you use solely for business expenses?

    Posted: 27 Mar 2019 10:15 AM PDT

    Howdy! I have an events business. I am the only employee. I'm in a great spot financially but occasionally have to make a lot of purchases for an event and then wait to bill the client upon conclusion.

    I currently have two personal credit cards. One for all my personal purchases and one for all my business purchases. I'm finding clients with bigger budgets for their events so I'm looking to get a second card for the business.

    Is there really any benefit to getting a business credit card instead of another personal one? I never have any issue paying them off each month.

    Thanks for the input!

    submitted by /u/squeakysqueakysqueak
    [link] [comments]

    e-Procurement Software for Manufacturing SMEs

    Posted: 27 Mar 2019 11:14 PM PDT

    Registered Agent for an LLC

    Posted: 27 Mar 2019 01:00 PM PDT

    I heard using a registered agent can help from receiving unwanted mail when incorporating a business as an LLC. My question is after the daily/weekly publication, if I decide to change of address to my home address, will I start getting unwanted mail or do spammers only get the address from the legal notice of the publication.

    Thanks for your time.

    submitted by /u/biohazard-55
    [link] [comments]

    KPI Key Performance indicator Analysis and Consulting Service

    Posted: 27 Mar 2019 09:48 PM PDT

    A Key Performance Indicator is a measurable value that shows how effectively an organization is achieving key business objectives. Organizations use KPIs to assess their achievement at achieving targets.

    submitted by /u/amritfinpro
    [link] [comments]

    How to write a non-customers survey invitation email?

    Posted: 27 Mar 2019 09:38 PM PDT

    Hi all,

    I would like to write an email to invite non-customers to participate in our firm interview to help us provide better services. Can you please give me a few samples that I reference to? Thank you so much!

    submitted by /u/Dreamybunny45
    [link] [comments]

    Not sure if this is the sub? But here it goes... Hired an account since the end of February...

    Posted: 27 Mar 2019 07:58 PM PDT

    After asking around for referrals and much hesitation I decided to hired an accountant from upwork.

    I spoke to this accountant on the phone twice and she sounded like a nice lady, she seems to be serious about her business and we had great side conversations about business, upwork and work ethics.

    I checked out her website, LinkedIn and looked her up on the cpa .org website.

    So I paid on March 1st on upwork the full amount for this project but the funds were to be released to her March 15th. Which was the date she said she would have the return done by.

    After the upwork contract was initiated, the process began. She sent me a link to create an account on taxjoy to upload my documents in a secured portal and this is where we also were messaging back and forth. Once it all began I was glad I decided to go with her.

    However, her responses started to be delayed. I eventually switched back to emailing her and she responded a day or two after.

    She went missing again for a few days then came back to say she has the draft let's schedule an appoint to go over it. I said sure I can be flexible to go over the document with you and gave her times and days. Didn't hear back from here again.

    I know she had mentioned one week that she was super busy w S Corp and Corp taxes (she's doing my LLC & personal) in which I said no worries take care of that and I am open all next week.

    So I gave it a week - crickets still. So I drafted up an email in which by this point I am super frustrated as I would never conduct business this way (and I don't understand how people do!!!)!!!!

    Then sent her an email saying hi I am confirming if you received my messages via taxjoy I am available tomorrow and Day after tomorrow to go over the return. (Sent this on a Wednesday).

    No answer. Friday. I decided to draft up a serious email.

    I started saying that I have already paid for a service in which I have been chasing you down and constantly checking in and how disappointed I was etc.... yeah so of course I scrapped the email haha and wrote a her a nice one :) I said, while I am in no rush I am checking in, any updates?

    Sent her that email Friday. Monday around 8am she replied and said she was super sick all week and starting today she is back in full speed. I mean first of all you said you have my draft done all already. And my return as she said herself is super simple and shouldn't take too long or shouldn't be complicated. She said she'll send me a draft tonight and asked if i'm available tomorrow.

    I replied back around 9am. Said, sorry to hear about your cold and hope you feel better and yes I am available tomorrow and flexible after X time.

    Monday end of day - no draft. She did not respond to my email or sent me a draft as she said she would.

    So yesterday I emailed again:

    "Hi XXX,

    I don't see the draft, is it accessible somewhere via the taxjoy portal?

    I'm available for the day, let me know when works for you.

    If not tomorrow and the rest of the week I am flexible.

    Thanks, hope you're feeling better!"

    So am I missing something here? Are there accounts out there like this? Has anyone experience this? I mean it's about 3 weeks away and all I've been doing is chasing someone who I've paid a service for....

    Not even sure if I should keep waiting? Or what to do here I mean this person has all my sensitive info.

    submitted by /u/home_mrktng
    [link] [comments]

    How do you market local businesses? Tips for small boutique

    Posted: 27 Mar 2019 07:36 PM PDT

    Hey everyone, I've been reading a lot of posts here and wanted to see what I'm missing or how to bring more people to out store.

    To give more background in the store, we opened it on mid December so it is fairly new. It carries high-quality, pre-owned and vintage goods, mostly clothes but also jewelry and decor. Here is our Instagram page so you can get an idea of the space and feeling we're going for.

    We have a great engagement on Instagram, we get many replies and questions about our items through DM, and many of those translate into going to our store to try in the clothes they saw in our profile. However, we're having no success in Facebook, and our business on Google maps gets nearly no views, so any tips for those would be great, we'd love to encourage reviews.

    Lastly, are flyers effective anymore, or should we focus on online marketing? We're building an email list, but that's only clients that have already shopped with us, so it's hard to reach new people. What the best non-digital way to reach people, or should I not bother?

    Thanks for taking the time to read and I'd appreciate any tips!

    submitted by /u/WhisperInWater
    [link] [comments]

    Square-up NFC reader for NFC tags

    Posted: 27 Mar 2019 06:24 PM PDT

    Hello everyone. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with square-up's NFC reader. I want to use it for payment, but I would also like to use it to scan NFC tokens so I can log users of my business. It's a gym type deal, and I would like people to be able to check in with an NFC token. The iPad that comes with the square-up POS system isn't NFC enabled, so I was wondering if I would be able to piggy back off of the NFC reader. I appreciate any advice, and just want to confirm that this is or isn't doable before I purchase the system. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Peetahbread
    [link] [comments]

    Building up credit for a small nonprofit

    Posted: 27 Mar 2019 06:11 PM PDT

    I volunteer at a small nonprofit (religious, 501c3) as the treasurer and I'm trying to start building credit for the organization. We have been around for about 8 years so we might already have a credit history, but we've never had a credit card. What's the best way to start building credit?

    I just got a Costco membership for myself and they offer a business credit card from Citi, would that work if they approve us for credit?

    If there are ways for me to back a new account with my own credit I'd be down for that too. We have a federal tax ID, but I trust the org enough to put down my own SSN. Would that be a bad idea, if it's even possible?

    submitted by /u/sortbycolumn
    [link] [comments]

    Low start up cost businesses?

    Posted: 27 Mar 2019 05:34 PM PDT

    What are some low start up cost businesses which aren't so saturated like event management etc. Looking for some great ideas. By the way, I'm a chef and have no idea how to get into something tech related even if it was low barrier and low cost to start up.

    submitted by /u/veronmathers
    [link] [comments]

    Remedy on default in contract - am I over thinking this?

    Posted: 27 Mar 2019 11:24 AM PDT

    I have a new consulting company and I was working on coming to an agreement to subcontract under another firm. They sent a subcontract agreement which had a section on what occurs if the agreement was terminated with cause. Essentially the language states that my company would be responsible for any cost in excess required by the other firm for replacing me in the project efforts.

    To me, this is just too open for interpretation. I don't think I should be responsible for paying for my replacement because it provides an opening for them to find some excuse for termination and then hiring someone at a much higher rate just so I can front the bill.

    Am I crazy for asking this to be removed? Any thoughts on a suggestion for making it more fair for both parties?

    submitted by /u/Sleepy_Bandit
    [link] [comments]

    Opinion and advice for a home inspection business

    Posted: 27 Mar 2019 05:53 AM PDT

    I've been working in the construction industry for some time now. I've learned how to run my own sites as a superintendent. Done both comercial and residential construction. I want to reach out to any home inspectors and get some feedback. How did you do it? I've Ben liking at licensing body's I'm from Maryland. How did you get your business going ??? I want to make this move in the near future. Also there a small franchise you can buy that offers home inspections. Haven't done much research on it just cost. Any feedback would be great.

    Thank you.

    submitted by /u/patology101
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment