• Breaking News

    Sunday, March 3, 2019

    Accounting Whenever I walk by a Jackson Hewitt in Walmart and they try to get me to do my taxes with them

    Accounting Whenever I walk by a Jackson Hewitt in Walmart and they try to get me to do my taxes with them


    Whenever I walk by a Jackson Hewitt in Walmart and they try to get me to do my taxes with them

    Posted: 03 Mar 2019 09:26 AM PST

    When you walk in on a partner using the bathroom

    Posted: 03 Mar 2019 06:13 AM PST

    When You realize you need more sleep but have one more month of busy season

    Posted: 03 Mar 2019 06:36 PM PST

    I want to be a Doctor (x-post /r/funny)

    Posted: 03 Mar 2019 11:56 AM PST

    If accountants made memes in 2002

    Posted: 03 Mar 2019 07:43 PM PST

    Wait, y’all get to sleep?

    Posted: 03 Mar 2019 09:40 PM PST

    B4 - leaving the office

    Posted: 03 Mar 2019 01:25 PM PST

    Hi all, I'm a 1st year audit staff at b4 and was wondering what the protocol was before I head home after work. There was an instance where I told my senior that I was at a good stopping point and will continue my work tomorrow and started packing up. His response was "did I say you could leave?". I didn't know whether he meant it as a joke/was being sarcastic or was actually serious. I stopped, chuckled a little and then he proceeded to say "its ok, you can leave." So I wasn't sure if he was hinting that I shouldn't leave without his permission.

    Then there was another instance where the senior manager told me to go home (it was almost 1am at that point) so I started packing my stuff and then the senior asks me "who said you could go?". He didn't know that the senior manager had already told me that I could leave.

    So my question is - is this the norm? Does everyone need to get approval before they are allowed to go home? It just feels a little degrading that as an adult, I need to ask for permission to leave the office especially since I already work 75+ hours per week so I'm not leaving early by any means.

    submitted by /u/ForTheRec
    [link] [comments]

    I'd audit the blades of grass in an NFL stadium just to overhear how they settled on a 1040 with two half pages. Two. HALF. Pages.

    Posted: 03 Mar 2019 09:51 AM PST

    MRW The Auditors Ask Me Something As I'm Leaving on Friday Afternoon

    Posted: 03 Mar 2019 06:58 AM PST

    PwC Changes CPA Policy for promotion

    Posted: 03 Mar 2019 11:10 AM PST

    PwC Changes CPA Policy for promotion

    PwC changed their CPA policy for promotion to Senior.

    Thoughts

    1. They are trying to retain staff who otherwise would leave the firm because they've hit a ceiling without having passed their CPA exams.

    2. Giving staff 40 hours to block time for their exams sounds like a good idea, curious to see how it will shake out. Because they will need to work with the deployment team it will be a slight improvement to the current system.

    3. I think paying for half of the Becker extension and making candidates pay for the other half is fair.

    4. If they are worried about retaining talent than they should promote staff to senior and give them the appropriate salary after 2 years rather than 3.

    5. Managers and up talk about our office being "understaffed" as if it's a flaw, but leadership has an incentive to not hire more people.

    Curious to hear your thoughts.

    https://i.redd.it/lh7z5jpr9yj21.png

    submitted by /u/Faucet_123
    [link] [comments]

    Does your firm allow you to expense rides home after a certain hour?

    Posted: 03 Mar 2019 07:36 PM PST

    Let's say you happen to work in a city where the public transit (which you rely on to get to and from work) closes at midnight. Let's also say you work for a certain well-known golf company (starts with a K) and you find yourself staying past midnight, meaning you'll need to find some other way like Uber/Lyft to get home. Would the firm allow you to expense this?

    submitted by /u/doubleentrybaby69
    [link] [comments]

    Why do accounting firms make internship offers so far into the future?

    Posted: 03 Mar 2019 06:01 PM PST

    I'm seeing kids on LinkedIn getting excited about their 2020 winter internships. Why do firms make these decisions so far in advance?

    submitted by /u/throwawayracc
    [link] [comments]

    Tax Return Szn

    Posted: 03 Mar 2019 08:29 AM PST

    General Advice to Public Accounting

    Posted: 03 Mar 2019 08:28 PM PST

    I'd fairly new to this and I've been reading over the past 100 posts and it's definitely overwhelming lol. I'm not even in public accounting yet or even out of school and I already hate it/scared of it.

    Do you guys have any advice that would help me with the transition from school to work? I honestly feel like I'm not learning enough in school to be prepared for the real world work. Like anything you wished you knew before so you would've been more prepared or put you in the position to succeed? Would you have done things differently? Etc.

    submitted by /u/christophervgc
    [link] [comments]

    Is it normal to be scared of going into Accounting and not being able to find a job?

    Posted: 03 Mar 2019 02:30 PM PST

    I'm very passionate about finances and accounting, but I am scared I might become one of those people who just never find a job and the degree becomes useless

    submitted by /u/dinoshavetinyhands
    [link] [comments]

    Finance or Accounting degree?

    Posted: 03 Mar 2019 06:05 PM PST

    Okay so I'm a freshman at the University of Louisville currently as a finance major (Think it's supposed to have an okay business school but far from the best - correct me if I'm wrong) and the last few days been stressing me out.

    i have 47 hours completed so am about to begin taking some major courses (which is why I'm stressing) so I'm technically a sophomore but it's my first year.

    I've begun to be more realistic about my future and am trying to think about where I can feasibly end up with certain criteria that are important to me and would love to hear other opinions. I had dream jobs that I realized are impossible when factoring in what I want.

    First and foremost I want to get into something with a better work-life balance. I understand with accounting 3-6 month of the year will be a lot more busy and am okay with that. I don't mind a 40-50 hour work week with an occasional 60 or so. However, I've read finance related roles are those busier 60+ hour weeks year round. Obviously with good work-life balance comes a trade off on compensation, but I am okay with that.

    I've also read accounting majors can do finance jobs, but not vice versa. I assume not all accountants can do every finance role. However, assuming accounting roles can fill finance roles wouldn't that widen up the job market for me.

    I've also came to believe there simply are more accounting positions due to all companies needing some sort of accounting department, but not financial. Once again, correct me if I'm wrong but that sounds like more job opportunities.

    Lastly, I've read a finance degree is a lot more useful at a top tier school. I don't attend one. I've read if not at a top tier school a finance degree will get me into a sales position such as insurance. I do not want to be a salesman. If this is true I don't think I want to get into that.

    I've always been very interested in investments, but not with the trade off of miserable hours. I certainly want to work with numbers though.

    I've begun to think an accounting position in a private or government position would be a good route for me. Assuming this would it be in my best interest to seek obtaining the CPA following graduation to assist in securing my future?

    Sorry if I'm shooting out too much at once but I've began stressing hard because I feel I need to figure this out prior to registering for next semesters classes in a month as it will alter what I take. This all feels over my head.

    Thanks for any feedback, Josh

    submitted by /u/Jmatt502
    [link] [comments]

    Big 4, best companies to work for??

    Posted: 03 Mar 2019 05:47 PM PST

    Found this on r/animemes, it fits interns and first years pretty well

    Posted: 03 Mar 2019 11:05 AM PST

    FAR tomorrow - advice

    Posted: 03 Mar 2019 03:30 PM PST

    Taking FAR tomorrow in the early afternoon. I'm feeling good about my ability to pass, I'm not having any last minute bouts of panic or any bullshit like that. I've put in 180hrs w/becker over these past 8 weeks, no skimping on anything on my pat. I didn't do any review today except for briefly looking over some flash cards. I was thinking tomorrow morning about looking over my list of mnemonics and doing some flash card review again.

    submitted by /u/F_Dingo
    [link] [comments]

    IRR with negative cash flows in Excel

    Posted: 03 Mar 2019 10:35 PM PST

    I am trying to determine the IRR for a series of negative cash flows in Excel, but I keep getting the #NUM!. I tried searching other places online only to keep reading that there is nothing you can do. If anyone can help TIA

    submitted by /u/Chichadios303
    [link] [comments]

    Are there any real-life accounting learning simulators online?

    Posted: 03 Mar 2019 06:41 PM PST

    Im a student and wondering if there is such an online business/accounting simulator that takes the player thru at least one full month of accounting cycle, from entering the journal entries, updating ledgers, trial balances, etc.

    If so, I am interested in trying out this learning style. Anyone know of any?

    submitted by /u/madmax79818515
    [link] [comments]

    Accountants Threw a DOOM Themed Office Party

    Posted: 03 Mar 2019 10:20 PM PST

    FDD interview tips?

    Posted: 03 Mar 2019 06:26 PM PST

    I'm currently a Big 4 senior associate in audit and have lined up an interview for FDD at another B4 firm. The lady said there would be 4 interviews, plus a case study. Has anyone had experience doing this, and would know what to expect?

    I'm currently brushing up on EBITDA, working capital, etc. so any tips would be appreciated.

    submitted by /u/accountingthr0w
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment