• Breaking News

    Friday, March 29, 2019

    Accounting Living the dream

    Accounting Living the dream


    Living the dream

    Posted: 29 Mar 2019 03:42 PM PDT

    I was talking to a girl the other day and she asked what I do for a living so I said I was an accountant and that tax season has been pretty brutal, she goes, “My grandpa wrote a book on how legally we don’t have to pay taxes” I said wow that’s very interesting I’d love to talk to your grandpa

    Posted: 29 Mar 2019 09:29 AM PDT

    She replies, "Well, he's in jail right now." Me: "Wow, what for?" Her: "Tax evasion"

    And here I was thinking that this guy figured out how to skate the system. Needless to say, I'll be paying all my taxes and filing my return here shortly.

    submitted by /u/Percy_3
    [link] [comments]

    I was looking out a window today

    Posted: 29 Mar 2019 05:57 PM PDT

    and a partner walking by casually said "it's not high enough." What the hell am I doing with my life.

    submitted by /u/okieschlokie
    [link] [comments]

    When people are flooding your inbox with dumb questions because they were too lazy to read their emails

    Posted: 29 Mar 2019 03:32 PM PDT

    I got a promotion!

    Posted: 29 Mar 2019 02:57 PM PDT

    I just got promoted to Sr. Accountant from Staff in industry. Oh, and I'm non-exempt so overtime is compensated. So delighted.

    submitted by /u/51ChevyHotrod
    [link] [comments]

    Relatable

    Posted: 29 Mar 2019 11:12 AM PDT

    How explaining internal controls often feel like...

    Posted: 29 Mar 2019 04:06 PM PDT

    Why don’t all brokerage statements clearly separate the foreign dividends from the domestic ones?

    Posted: 29 Mar 2019 04:02 PM PDT

    Blasphemy

    submitted by /u/_had2
    [link] [comments]

    The real reason I passed my exams

    Posted: 29 Mar 2019 05:33 PM PDT

    Proof accountants are cool

    Posted: 29 Mar 2019 10:52 AM PDT

    I am set to hit 300 hours for month of March, AMA

    Posted: 29 Mar 2019 05:08 PM PDT

    Also general discussion/comments on hours, it feels better when you know other people are in the shit too.

    submitted by /u/elk33dp
    [link] [comments]

    So nothing positive to acknowledge about working at a Big 4?

    Posted: 29 Mar 2019 09:26 PM PDT

    I never seen anyone in this sub saying anything good about working at a Big 4. Really? Is it all bad?

    submitted by /u/Nerdgoals-00-
    [link] [comments]

    I can't do accounting

    Posted: 29 Mar 2019 06:39 PM PDT

    I'm.... struggling. I can't seem to remember or grasp the concepts or terms of accounting 102. I haven't even hit intermediary yet. I'm also still in community college. I'm just here because the salary is looking good.

    I went to business club earlier this week, and I asked a speaker about how he worked to being where he is today as a business owner. He talked "did you start talking to business people and accountants about their work?..... you need to put your foot in the door and do work."

    Unfortunately for me, no. I did not. I'm struggling with working 35 hours a week with 12 credits worth of courses. Now, I find this newfound cluster of work that I should've been doing from the start, that I haven't been doing at all? God dang it.

    It's not that I'm horrible at accounting, it's just not my ace. I spend hours and hours just staring at my assignments, not doing any work due to fatigue. What other alternatives in the field of business are there besides accounting? ( I should mention that I'm a bit introverted too.)

    submitted by /u/Edgeofthelords
    [link] [comments]

    [CAN] 2018 CFE Report out, what are your thoughts?

    Posted: 29 Mar 2019 07:46 PM PDT

    The CFE 2018 Report is out along with the Board's comments: https://www.cpacanada.ca/en/become-a-cpa/cpa-certification-program-evaluation/the-common-final-examination-report-simulations-and-guides-for-the-cfe

    On this fine weekend, I invite you guys to revisit this nightmare. This might benefit the future candidates as well.

    submitted by /u/pwcunt
    [link] [comments]

    Cloud-Based ERP Software

    Posted: 29 Mar 2019 10:29 PM PDT

    6 lookbacks from a 6 month “veteran” in Big4 Audit

    Posted: 29 Mar 2019 12:25 AM PDT

    Wanted to post this for those who are thinking about this career route and what I wish I would have done differently:

    I started my short career thus far as a starry eyed, naive new hire and I can say with confidence the first half year has been unreal. I busted my ass through college to work for what many consider a good job at a very "prestigious" firm. I've been lucky enough to travel the country (coastal southern town to the biggest city on the west coast to a cold eastern city to back home). I've met some awesome people from all over and audited some cool companies. Here's what I've learned in about 180 days on the job that will be so helpful to accounting students and upcoming new hires.

    1 - 20% of 25 year olds with CPAs think they're Gods gift to the accounting world. 10% think they are God himself and the other 70% are quite alright. Finding your crew at your firm is important and your friends from your internship/start class might turn into genuine friends for life (a good takeaway) lucky to have a good group of folks I started with.

    2 - the personal sacrifice that I've seen for this job is astonishing. In 6 months I've seen a grown ass man not go to the doctor until they literally pissed blood yet they continued to work in the waiting room. I've seen a second year staff throw up in the clients bathroom from stress. I've seen other staff belittled for not knowing something that they've never done in their life. No job is worth this, and I continue to witness people lose their way and virtues over this "climb to the top." I've truly learned it's a marathon and not a sprint witnessing other people try to sprint this. If a partner or senior manager stumbles across this post, check on your team. They'll most likely lie to you, there's a boatload going on that you won't ever know about.

    3 - Just because you have a large meal budget doesn't mean you need to use it all. I've probably put on 10 pounds from the travel lifestyle. Eat vegetables and fruit and only drink coffee/tea and water and you'll feel 100% better when your senior has to reexplain the same thing to you because they're so busy themselves they half assed it the first time. I've lost 5 doing this and got a little more efficient so it gets better with time I guess.

    4 - Marriott just gets traveling. The difference is material. Not a lot for this one but trust me, just stay at a Marriott brand if you have to travel and you'll thank me when the tough times are a little easier.

    5 - if you don't love accounting, this job will suck your soul dry. You'll arrive at the client site so excited to start your real career. Shortly you'll realize no one is excited to see you. The truth is no one likes being audited. No one at the client likes what you have to ask them to do. They'll start resenting you after a couple of weeks and you'll feel like a bad person when you have to ask them for more. I've struggled a lot with not feeling fulfilled and not feeling like I add any value to the business I'm auditing. Staring at Excel and a PDF editor for 15 hours a day 6 days a week takes a toll on your emotional and physical well-being. I wish I would have known it was going to be like this but I was so naive and bought into the Big4 or bust mentality at my university. Don't fall into this trap. There are so many rewarding financial careers out there and unfortunately at this point I don't see the value add or fulfillment in public accounting, I'm still here because I have loans and apparently this is how to "jumpstart a career" it's a sacrifice you make to see the inner workings of how operationally excellent organizations run and how incompetent small private businesses can be.

    6 - keep your living space as clean and neat as possible. This is so important when you get home at 1 AM and everything with work is in shambles. You'll be thankful to have your own space that's in order and your personal hideaway from bullshit. I struggled with checking it at the door my first two weeks during busy season and it sucked. This comes with time but you'll learn to do it eventually. It took me about 2 months if interim testing to figure this out.

    This is all I have for tonight I have too much work to get done to type more. I hope this post can help someone like me a year ago. It's going to be hard, keep a positive attitude and know when to say "this is enough"

    The only reward I see in a big 4 career at this point is that you you learn about your limits, you're forced to push past them, and then you learn to reject what the hive suees as "normal." Knowing your limit in your early 20s is so rewarding in and of itself. Everything else they feed you about an audit career is mostly bullshit, the life lessons are more important than the walkthroughs and detail testing.

    Good luck, I hope I hit this close to spot on, looking forward to some discussion in the coming days. Anybody else in the same boat?

    submitted by /u/AccrualThrowaway
    [link] [comments]

    IRS mass hiring: any updates ?

    Posted: 29 Mar 2019 01:10 PM PDT

    Anyone that applied get a phone call for interview yet? If yes which state? Read on federalsoup a few got the call today. Anyone who has been through an IRS interview know what it is like; how many people interviewing, how long, what type of questions? Thanks.

    submitted by /u/NumberCruncher23
    [link] [comments]

    Deloitte and PwC in Baltimore

    Posted: 29 Mar 2019 08:54 PM PDT

    Can someone help me decide. I heard PwC had a greater audit base here in Baltimore. But I'm blinded by Deloitte being number one. Or is it even...

    submitted by /u/kreezageebut
    [link] [comments]

    How bad would it be to start full time during busy season?

    Posted: 29 Mar 2019 08:49 PM PDT

    I graduate in July, and I am advised by the company to not sit for CPA exams until after. I figured I would take them during the fall, but I realized that means I would start in the winter. I would have two internships under my belt by then, but I was realizing that people may be less inclined to be helpful or whatever.

    Howe bad of an idea is it to start in busy season or does it not matter.

    submitted by /u/orange_fuckin_peel
    [link] [comments]

    CPA Re-Exam Question

    Posted: 29 Mar 2019 04:43 PM PDT

    Hi, so I applied for CPA exams a couple of years before but couldn't pass them. Now the application is expired. I want to apply again (the site lists me as a re-examination candidate). Do I need to submit my transcripts and all other materials like reference forms again when applying for an new NTS?

    submitted by /u/wutengyuxi
    [link] [comments]

    For MAXIMUM office efficiency

    Posted: 29 Mar 2019 07:14 PM PDT

    No comments:

    Post a Comment