• Breaking News

    Monday, November 26, 2018

    Stocks - r/Stocks Daily Discussion Monday - Nov 26, 2018

    Stocks - r/Stocks Daily Discussion Monday - Nov 26, 2018


    r/Stocks Daily Discussion Monday - Nov 26, 2018

    Posted: 26 Nov 2018 04:09 AM PST

    These daily discussions run from Monday to Friday.

    Some helpful links:

    If you have a basic question, for example "what is EPS," then google "investopedia EPS" and click the investopedia article on it; do this for everything until you have a more in depth question or just want to share what you learned.

    Please discuss your portfolios in the Rate My Portfolio sticky..

    See our past daily discussions here. Also links for: Technicals Tuesday, Options Trading Thursday, and Fundamentals Friday.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Microsoft shares are down 11% from the stock's 52-week high, and still look good compared to the rest

    Posted: 26 Nov 2018 05:19 AM PST

    As European how can I buy sp500 ETF on interactive brokers?

    Posted: 26 Nov 2018 05:07 AM PST

    I just saw that I cannot buy the VOO ETF because I am not from the US.

    This product is currently unavailable to clients classified as retail clients.

    I just read that there are these versions but I am not familiar with them: VUSD and CSSPX

    Can somebody tell me what VUSD and CSSPX is and how is it different from VOO?

    If I types those into IB I get a few results. How do I know which one is the right one?

    submitted by /u/vovr
    [link] [comments]

    Question about Ask/Bid pricing for a Limit Order

    Posted: 26 Nov 2018 01:18 PM PST

    I am new to stock purchasing, having just purchased my first shares in DIS. I did it all rather hastily TBH, but followed what info Schwab (my brokerage) app has laid out.

    Anyways, I purchased the shares under a limit order and set a price below the "Ask price" for the day, but above the "Day Low" price. So in the middle of the two, my bid was accepted immediately. I was wondering if this was a good buy strategy or do people typically set a price even lower than the "Day Low" price for Limit orders (I.e, is it likely I could have purchased the stock for even cheaper?)

    submitted by /u/sierra400
    [link] [comments]

    What are the safest options trading?

    Posted: 26 Nov 2018 12:23 PM PST

    I've recently been buying puts and calls for the past few weeks. I started in early November. I lost about $7,000 but gained back $8,200. I don't know if I want to keep continuing my strategy or if anyone else can give me tips.

    I don't want to post in r/wallstreetbets because I believe that subreddit should be banned.

    submitted by /u/Frinkonium
    [link] [comments]

    Nvidia poised to jump 55% - Credit Suisse

    Posted: 26 Nov 2018 08:21 AM PST

    https://finance.yahoo.com/news/nvidia-stock-poised-jump-55-credit-suisse-155132605.html Nvidia shares have been getting crushed recently, but the chipmaker is poised to jump 55%, according to Credit Suisse.

    submitted by /u/cannainform2
    [link] [comments]

    Tracking superinvestors and their relative purschase prices

    Posted: 26 Nov 2018 09:09 AM PST

    Folks, I am wondering if there is a way to guesstimate at which price superinvestors like Buffett moved in on a stock. With $AAPL on a free fall, I am keen to know at which price Buffett moved on his last purchases.

    submitted by /u/yebidepoj
    [link] [comments]

    Big tech companies holding cash

    Posted: 26 Nov 2018 09:06 AM PST

    Companies like Apple, Alphabet, and Microsoft are holding record amounts of cash. So are other companies in general. Normally companies would be putting this money to work right now in some way. Do you think there are any plans? Dividends, share buybacks, mergers/acquisitions, new projects that require funding?

    submitted by /u/brrr69
    [link] [comments]

    What am I missing with $AABA?

    Posted: 26 Nov 2018 10:21 AM PST

    I held Yahoo stock and ended up with shares of Altaba Inc, which tracks Alibaba and Yahoo Japan. P/E of only 2.3. Buy rating of 4 stars from Morningstar. Meanwhile, Alibaba shares have a P/E of 46+. I feel like I'm missing something. If you want a piece of BABA, why isn't AABA a better investment? Doesn't it have more upside? Or is Yahoo Japan a significant drag?

    submitted by /u/sokpuppet1
    [link] [comments]

    Is it time to hedge volatile stock holdings with an investment in gold?

    Posted: 26 Nov 2018 11:36 AM PST

    • Lagging and volatile global stocks, a strengthening US dollar, and prospects of slowed interest rate hikes combine to create a potentially bullish outlook for gold prices.

    • From its value of USD$2,925.51 on October 3rd, 2018, the S&P 500 has fallen 10.01% to USD$2,632.56/share. Over that same time period, the price of gold has appreciated 1.69% to USD$1,223.38/ounce. A continued downturn in US stocks coupled with a downturn in global stocks will work to potentially drive further appreciation of gold prices.

    • Current high levels of inflation, as indicated by growth in the US consumer price index and producer price index in 2018, should also work to create a favorable environment for gold prices. The United States has seen consumer price index and producer price index growth above 2% for every month of 2018 -- the last time these indicators observed growth in excess of 2% over 10 consecutive months was from June 2011 through April 2012, when the price of gold appreciated by 7.84%, and from May 2011 through March 2012, when the price of gold appreciated by 7.42% respectively.

    • Strength in the US dollar also supports a bullish environment for gold prices. The Bloomberg Dollar Spot Index's current value of 96.9920 is at the highest level seen since June 2017. Historically, gold prices diverge from the value of the US dollar amid a downturn in the latter.

    • Prospects for deaccelerated interest rate hikes in 2019 by the US Federal Reserve also bolsters a long-term bull case for gold prices. A slowdown in the pace of interest rate hikes by the Fed will likely spark higher inflation of the US dollar, which may cause investors to increase gold holdings to hedge against inflation.

    • While indicators like a strengthening US dollar, volatile global stocks, and high inflation combine to form a bullish environment for gold, supply and demand levels for the precious metal tell a different story. According to GoldHub, supply levels of gold have held steady since 2010 while real demand for gold (by the technology and jewelry industry) has trailed off. Although the current macroeconomic environment appears favorable for an investment in gold, gold supply and demand levels actually work against this thesis. Investors seeking to hedge their stock holdings with an investment in gold should tread cautiously and plan for at least a 1-year holding period.

    • What do you all think about a potential investment in gold? Leave your comments below! We would love to engage in discussion and hear what everyone has to think.

    submitted by /u/QuantalyticsResearch
    [link] [comments]

    $HSGX big day for them on November 30th

    Posted: 26 Nov 2018 11:27 AM PST

    $HSGX has a big day on November 30th due to its make or break FDA meeting. I personally believe it's a great time to invest but of course do your own DD

    submitted by /u/slug_boy
    [link] [comments]

    Just bought my first ever stock: DIS!

    Posted: 26 Nov 2018 09:55 AM PST

    Just bought my first ever stock. I chose to purchase 5 shares in Disney. Mostly because I have always wanted to, huge Disney fan. And also I read in the news they may see some significant profits soon. Anyway, I have other retirement and micro investment accounts that are managed for me, but this is the first time I have purchased a stock myself outright so I am pretty excited :)

    So what should I keep an eye it for? Advice for a trading noob?

    submitted by /u/sierra400
    [link] [comments]

    Opinions: Best ETFs For The Current Market?

    Posted: 25 Nov 2018 11:20 PM PST

    So far what I've been reading is that consumer staples, utilities, and healthcare are good to go.

    What are your thoughts on good ETFs right now?

    submitted by /u/Me0wingtons
    [link] [comments]

    Penny Stock Potentially has largest Lithium Deposit in the World?

    Posted: 26 Nov 2018 09:49 AM PST

    First of all, I am not a competent investor when it comes to mining stocks. Just putting that out there.

    But a friend of mine pointed out a couple of recent news releases regarding Iconic Minerals' (ICM on the TSX-V) resource report. See Sedar reports for news releases https://www.sedar.com/DisplayCompanyDocuments.do?lang=EN&issuerNo=00003100

    So, I bought a few stocks. I haven't lost money, but I haven't made money either.

    Here's my question for readers - How can a company that has independently verified that they have 28.584 million tonnes of LCE only be trading at a valuation of $9 million? I've been told that the next largest deposit is about 6 million tonnes. Although, I haven't verified that. I would imagine that a resource like that would justify a valuation of about 10 times that, being conservative.

    How is this possibly trading so low? Am I missing something? Did I make a poor investment? Thank you.

    submitted by /u/Storm_31
    [link] [comments]

    What should I know about oil?

    Posted: 26 Nov 2018 09:45 AM PST

    Note: The following article is 3 days old.

    https://www.cnbc.com/2018/11/23/oil-prices-slump-to-their-lowest-level-of-2018-even-as-opec-considers-cuts.html

    WTI is trading +~2.5-3% today after a period of decreasing value. With all of this talk about bear markets, I have trouble seeing the correlation between the U.S. markets/economy/etc. and international oil. In less than 2 weeks, OPEC will be meeting, and something will happen.

    The article above states that the Trump Administration is enjoying and encouraging the current downtrend. However, it seems that OPEC member agendas think otherwise. Obviously, this leads me to assume that on December 6th, the decisions made will cause the price of oil to increase. This would make an easy opportunity to execute profitable trades. On the other hand, regardless of the differing opinions of the Trump Administration and OPEC, what influence does the U.S. have on affecting these decisions? Could we see gas and oil prices to continue their decline?

    TLDR: I know nearly nothing about oil and OPEC, but, would like to learn what makes oil attractive and when?

    submitted by /u/JumboNate
    [link] [comments]

    Do lawsuits affect a company’s stock?

    Posted: 26 Nov 2018 03:11 AM PST

    If they lose the lawsuit, are shareholders negatively affected in any way?

    This isn't the first time I've had this question, and it certainly won't be the last time, either. This post is in regard to the new lawsuit against AAPL for possibly monopolizing the App Store, but extends to all corporate lawsuits ever.

    submitted by /u/MAS3927
    [link] [comments]

    ALSN Analysis

    Posted: 26 Nov 2018 12:23 AM PST

    ALSN is a stock that's showed up on my stock screener a few times so I've decided to research and write a report about it for my security analysis course. I'm not having much luck finding a peer group outside of car manufacturers or general parts companies like LKQ.. neither of which are the best fit for my company but might work as a close enough proxy if necessary.

    When doing industry analysis or any part of analyzing this stock really... do you have any suggestions or a report regarding this stock I might base my research off of?

    submitted by /u/Banker86
    [link] [comments]

    Why you should stay away from Nividia. Bitcoin-Related

    Posted: 26 Nov 2018 10:22 AM PST

    Sit down kids for a lesson in applied economics.

    BITCOIN price is Plummeting = Bitcoin mining less profitable = Lower Economic profit for Bitcoin miners = Bitcoin miners exiting the market = Capital liquidation in order to recoup costs = Secondary markets flooded with GPUs previously used for mining = Decrease in new GPU sales = decrease in Nividia sales = Less profit for Nividia = Devaluing of Nvidia stock

    Peanut gallery opinions from people that do not even hold a college degree are not appreciated.

    submitted by /u/killjoii098
    [link] [comments]

    Thoughts on $HMC as a value investing pick?

    Posted: 25 Nov 2018 07:26 PM PST

    In evaluating $HMC from a value perspective, most would agree that Honda Motor Comapany's P/E, P/B, P/C, and even D/E ratios would qualify it as a value investing pick right now. The question is: is this company on sale because there is something intrinsically wrong with the company or is the general market simply giving it a hard for some short term reason? From what I can tell, it's the latter. That being said. I am interested in what others think about this pick. In your opinion, is $HMC a solid value pick or a stock to avoid?

    submitted by /u/Bladen001
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment