• Breaking News

    Sunday, September 30, 2018

    Accounting Tomorrow’s gonna be a big one boiz!!!!!

    Accounting Tomorrow’s gonna be a big one boiz!!!!!


    Tomorrow’s gonna be a big one boiz!!!!!

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 08:49 AM PDT

    Holy fucking shit!!!!! Just start fucking yelling because guess the fuck what?!?!?!?! Tomorrow is mother fucking Monday!!!! But that not all....it's also OCTOBER 1ST!!!! Wooooo start of Q4!!!

    If you aren't already hard as a rock, then wake the fuck up, stop being a pussy, and get ready to account god dammit. Get ready to make some end year shit boiz. Close those mother fucking books like you're getting dismissed from class. But don't get dismissed from ass. Remember these accounting groupies want that Schedule D and it you aren't nuttin you are nothing.

    Time to fuck up some Monday's, make Q4 get rekt, and drop loads on these financial statements. Oh fuck boiz it's coming it hot. Get. The. Fuck. Ready.

    submitted by /u/Sneezis
    [link] [comments]

    I'm a first year accounting student. Reading these recruitment threads scare me.

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 02:58 PM PDT

    It's so intimidating to read up on them.

    I am not sure if I have what it takes to make impressions in office visits, lunches, coffee chats, succeed in online interviews, etc.

    I don't lack social skills or anything but I am not someone who can charm others easily..

    Maybe I need to study something that's more about technical skills like engineering or CS...

    Did anyone else have these thoughts?

    submitted by /u/BuySPY
    [link] [comments]

    Does 7-8 months in public accounting experience count for anything?

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 03:14 PM PDT

    Hi all. A little background: After a few years of working in finance/markets related stuff I did a career change into accounting, got a Macc from a good school, passed the CPA exams, and now have a job as audit staff at a regional full service CPA firm with about 60 employees on the west coast.

    But I'm about 7 months in now and I feel like the job might be slipping away from me. I've made a few mistakes in workpapers (missing corresponding references), and the partners have made it clear they're not happy with these little mistakes I keep making. They've put it on record with HR, which I feel like might be a setup to them firing me. I'm making efforts to correct these little mistakes, but I feel the damage may already be done. Also my hours are lower than my staff counterparts, even though I've made substantial efforts to reach out to in-charges for any help they may need. I feel like they may be more hesitant to give me work than the other staff. I've trying to enter more time and spend more time on workpapers too.

    Truth be told I'm fully aware this job isn't my strength. I'm a little older than my colleagues, and at this point in life I'm just not as naturally geared towards tedious audit staff work. I mainly took this job with the idea to try to last as long as possible to try to build some good experience on my resume so I can then re-evaluate. But I feel like I may not even make it to 1 year at this point, or the senior level, and not making it one year will also jeopardize my ability to get the work experience requirement for CPA certification. I do think an industry job will suit my abilities better, but I was hoping to do it at a level higher than staff accountant.

    Will the experience I've obtained so far help me at all in gaining a better industry position? I've definitely learned quite a bit with the audits I've done so far, but I feel like this little experience public experience might turn employers off.

    submitted by /u/psg1245
    [link] [comments]

    Got that Promotion!

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 12:00 PM PDT

    I accepted a promotion, last week. I've been passed over twice for promotions within tax within the last couple of years.

    Time to move on .... to IT automation.

    Pay bump plus new moved lower on the salary range. My prior role would have maxed me out in the next 4-5 years. Now, I have 10-12 years of salary growth.

    I'm pretty excited. If I do my job right, then there will be less accounting jobs.

    Best of luck, job seekers! Follow your dreams, even if the corporate ladder in not straight up and down.

    submitted by /u/MNCPA
    [link] [comments]

    Starting my first day out of MAcc and the CFE as a Senior Associate tmrw, wish me luck!

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 06:10 PM PDT

    Books on the History of Accounting

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 10:14 PM PDT

    Hello fellow r/Accounting redditors.

    I am a 20 year old Accounting student who's looking literature on the history of Accounting to read - I like reading and I thought it would be a good way to learn more about the field. While a quick Google search does return several results, there aren't any books that immediately caught my eye or seemed particularly impressive. Are there any books that you would recommend reading?

    Thank you for your time.

    submitted by /u/xlifetimelurkerx
    [link] [comments]

    Lunch interview for internship

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 07:34 PM PDT

    Hi, so tomorrow I have a interview with 2 partners for my first internship. I was wondering if anyone had any tips ? Would suit be fine? Bring padfolio with resume or just bring myself? Thank you!

    submitted by /u/wateronfeet
    [link] [comments]

    First Interview

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 08:00 PM PDT

    Tomorrow afternoon I have my very first accounting interview wifh BNN (New England) for a busy season tax internship. I have been preparing for it and was wondering if any professionals can lend talking point tips or any other advice. I'm one of the last interviews for the day so I need to stand out. Thanks for reading!

    submitted by /u/Bm1620
    [link] [comments]

    ACCA & CMA

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 03:43 PM PDT

    Dear Redditers.

    I am an accountant having ACCA (UK accountancy Qualification) and moving to US shortly in few months. Also i am studying CMA to address the need of local qualification. I want to ask the worth of ACCAs and CMA in US. Would these qualifications help me landing onto a suitable accountancy job as a startup.

    submitted by /u/PKMAU
    [link] [comments]

    EY HK Sent me an email to change program application

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 07:21 PM PDT

    So I applied to EY Risk Advisory full time about 2 weeks ago and they sent me an email today saying that they have reviewed my app and they think I would be more suited for the ACP Program Instead which is the Advisory Consultant Program and told me to reply to their email if I would be interested in that instead. Does this mean EY looks favorably upon me right now and theres a chance I'll get through to the interview process, or is this just something standard that usually happens. I grew up in HK so i have a PR, but I'm going to university in LA and want to move back after graduating. Any response is appreciated! Thanks!

    submitted by /u/MJrein
    [link] [comments]

    How can I get experience working on small business accounting?

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 06:52 PM PDT

    I'm looking into starting my own business on the side someday.

    However I've only got experience working on/with F500 Companies. Not to say that's a bad thing -- but it doesn't lend to the ability to start my own business very well.

    I've thought about trying to find a part-time gig at a local firm but would they feel I'm a "threat" to the business if I want to do my own thing at one point?

    submitted by /u/redditname123
    [link] [comments]

    CPA study materials deductible?

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 06:02 PM PDT

    I know they're not usually deductible, however I work in industry accounting. If my employer changed my employment contract to say that I have to pass the CPA exams would my study materials then be tax deductible?

    At this point it would be required to keep my current job and not training for a new profession.

    submitted by /u/buttsilikebutts
    [link] [comments]

    How come half the people here are so down on those who want to go into accounting???

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 12:52 PM PDT

    I've wondered this for a long while and no one ever seems to talk about it, but I'm definitely out of the loop here. Sometimes people will come here asking for advice on accounting and someone always comes with the same question. "why do you want to go into accounting? It's not filled an up-and-coming industry where people are desperately competing to get into. Why not try for something else?" like I seriously don't get it. This is the accounting subreddit, but it seems like half the people who comment on career advice posts are those who either self loathe from choosing accounting, or just don't want anyone else to get into the industry. But why? is accounting really that bad right now? Is the industry dying and the profession itself going away? Why are so many people here so down on those who want to break into accounting as a career? if you hold the opinion that is a bad idea to go into it, that's perfectly fine. But I'm just curious as to the reasoning why.

    submitted by /u/dabbing4datascience
    [link] [comments]

    When do firms usually recruit?

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 09:36 PM PDT

    I have been trying to recruit through my university gateway for an internship or full time offer with any of the Big 4 and local firms in my area. However, only 2 of the Big 4 seemed to have positions available and mid size firms that I know have recruited at my university in the past were not present for campus interviews. Will I have more luck in the Spring?

    On another note I applied to every position that was available and only got invited to 1 Big 4 campus interview. I was then rejected the day after and told the generic "it's off season and there aren't that many positions available". I have a 3.5 accounting GPA and a 3.6 overall.

    submitted by /u/longrodq
    [link] [comments]

    How do you maintain hobbies and time for yourself?

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 09:09 AM PDT

    I have been studying for the CPA since I graduated a few months ago. I have really only made time for the gym and work, I work part time currently. It feels like Im stuck doing this, then working full time and studying, then just busy season and then next summer will be working full time and studying again. How do you all make time for yourself and hobbies through this?

    Also, what kind of hobbies do you all enjoy to do? Im looking for new suggestions, stuff I could do on my own and so I have things to talk about with coworkers.

    submitted by /u/throwawayshoes2
    [link] [comments]

    I have a lot of piercings, should I be asking firms if they’re okay with it?

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 05:02 PM PDT

    I'm a student and applying for internships this year, I'm interviewing for 3 of the Big 4 so far and a couple smaller national firms. I've got a lot of piercings, 8 in one ear and 6 in the other (they're pretty small, you can check my post history for a look), and I've been wearing my hair down in interviews to avoid it being an issue in the hiring process. I have an office visit this week and I'm wondering if I should start to ask of firms have any rules about it or just leave it and hope the first time I put my hair up while interning that nobody has a problem with it? Will big firms even care? Does anyone have any experience having a lot of piercings or can offer me advice on how to go about this?

    tl:dr I have lots of piercings, how do I go about telling firms or do they not care

    submitted by /u/im_a_pimp
    [link] [comments]

    ELI5: What’s the difference between the SEC and the FASB besides one being government run and the other in the private sector?

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 04:15 PM PDT

    I can't seem to figure it out. Thanks for the help.

    submitted by /u/AlphabetSuplex
    [link] [comments]

    Interview for Industry

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 07:51 PM PDT

    Have an interview to go from public (audit) to industry at a place I interned during college. Any advice for what I should be expecting during the interview? Obviously everyone's different but I haven't interviewed in forever it feels like. Also it's a Skype interview. Lastly, for those who have made the switch to industry, best thing you've ever done? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/30whales
    [link] [comments]

    Staying positive waiting for CFE 2018 exam results

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 07:34 PM PDT

    How the hiring process is done?

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 09:38 AM PDT

    I just wonder who decides who gets the internship/full time offer for a Big4. Is it the 2 people who interview you or is there a committee who decides who gets hired?

    submitted by /u/maypotter
    [link] [comments]

    CPA PREP exemptions

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 07:13 PM PDT

    Hi everyone, I will be graduating with a bachelors in accounting this summer. As a result of not knowing if I wanted to be in finance I held off on taking my accounting focused courses and now they are all stacked in my final semesters making it extremely demanding in addition to working as a junior accounting analyst part time.

    I will finish with a high gpa however I do not have all of the 13 prerequisite courses for CPA PEP however I have like 10/13

    My question is will I receive exemptions in PREP for the equivalents I did complete ? And if so does anyone have any stories or experience with this situation

    Thank you and happy Sunday.

    submitted by /u/ShenFrog
    [link] [comments]

    fund accountant comp question (high col)

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 12:35 PM PDT

    I will be joining a PE firm as a fund accountant soon (2 yr public experience). I was wondering what the usual yearly % raise is. Also, when does the raise/bonus take place? It's probably different for each firm but trying to get an idea what to expect.

    submitted by /u/accountant49602
    [link] [comments]

    Last minute things to remember for FAR?

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 10:34 AM PDT

    I'm taking FAR tomorrow which will be my first exam. I know most things you really need to understand but there are definitely some things that are worth just memorizing. What do you think would be helpful for me to memorize last minute?

    submitted by /u/jdp111
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment