• Breaking News

    Thursday, May 31, 2018

    Accounting When my manager is showing no signs of going home at 7:01

    Accounting When my manager is showing no signs of going home at 7:01


    When my manager is showing no signs of going home at 7:01

    Posted: 31 May 2018 04:00 PM PDT

    “Basically, by work life balance..”

    Posted: 31 May 2018 04:35 AM PDT

    When the intern screws up your dinner order

    Posted: 31 May 2018 09:38 PM PDT

    Literally unreadable

    Posted: 31 May 2018 10:39 AM PDT

    Pretty good for the Accounting Major, but I feel this sub could have a better rewrite.

    Posted: 31 May 2018 06:36 AM PDT

    I'm afraid that I'll finally get my CPA and wind up in an office where nobody laughs at my jokes

    Posted: 31 May 2018 12:22 PM PDT

    What are the realistic odds of this happening?

    submitted by /u/unknownapostate
    [link] [comments]

    CPA Exam TIP: I used high-quality sound loops while studying for the CPA exam and it seemed to help my concentration and focus.

    Posted: 31 May 2018 12:20 PM PDT

    Senior Managers or Partners/Principals in public accounting, what is your work-life balance like in comparison to your earlier years in public accounting? [Serious]

    Posted: 31 May 2018 10:52 AM PDT

    Did you find things got better after getting past manager? Did your numbers of hours lower at all? What's your typical work week like during the year, both in and out of busy season compared to your earlier days? Are you happy?

    submitted by /u/letsboop
    [link] [comments]

    Generally speaking, Is being an accountant similar to being a call center representative?

    Posted: 31 May 2018 09:48 PM PDT

    I work in a call center that handles financially-related issues. I take call after call...after call. It is excruciatingly mundane and repetitive. There are constant changes, and sometimes not enough resources to find a reliable answer for certain problems. That is extremely frustrating! Newly-hired employees walk in all jubilant, and a few weeks later the color begins to drain from their once warm complexion. They've become infected by the same illness that almost every other employee has there. Call center depression. We are all lifeless zombies. I tell myself that there is a positive way out of this discouraging job. I am going back to college to obtain a degree in accounting. Please. Please tell me this is not what I will be looking at for the rest of my life.

    tldr: Generally speaking, Is being an accountant similar to being a call center representative?

    submitted by /u/WrinklyEyelids
    [link] [comments]

    Feeling depressed: Turned down a job offer in March and have been looking for a job since then with no offers [Vent]

    Posted: 31 May 2018 12:13 PM PDT

    I feel like a moron. I turned down an offer in late March from a nice Oil and Gas company because I felt like the interview process was rushed (they had one sit down interview and made offer). It would have been for 20k more than I am making now. I had just started looking and figured if it was easy to get that offer maybe something better would come along. 2.5 months later I have had 6 interviews and zero offers, am 34 years old with a wife and kid, graduated from a prestigous public university 13 years ago making 55k fucking dollars. Sometimes I just want to sleep all day. Where the fuck did I go wrong with my life? It hurts working downtown seeing people live nicely, driving nice cars, living in nice homes. Fuck. It doesn't help that I am studying for my CPA while working a job I hate with co-workers I despise. It is depressing at work and I feel instant negative energy when I come in. Am I stuck forever because no one wants a failed mid thirty year-old? they are probably thinking why the fuck are you applying for this job, you should be CEO by now. fuck.

    submitted by /u/theresponsible
    [link] [comments]

    Seeking some information regarding CPA bonus as a benefit for passing all parts of the exam. What does your firm offer?

    Posted: 31 May 2018 01:31 PM PDT

    At Grant Thornton and KPMG they offer new hires a $5,000 bonus for passing in the first year and $3,000 for passing in the 2nd year.

    Firm size or name would be helpful and what the benefit is.

    submitted by /u/thisonelife83
    [link] [comments]

    B4 Female Intern Bag

    Posted: 31 May 2018 10:31 PM PDT

    I am about to start an internship at a B4 during the summer, and I was wondering what type of bag should I be carrying to work? I currently have a nylon tote, but I'm wondering if that's too casual, and I should look for a leather bag instead? Any suggestions on what you've seen in the office in any firm?

    submitted by /u/kaydubzz
    [link] [comments]

    Need advice - Graduating in two weeks with no internships or job lined up.

    Posted: 31 May 2018 02:53 PM PDT

    I'm a 25y/o graduating senior who was unable to secure an internship or full-time position. I was interviewed by several firms this past fall for FT-positions, but wasn't selected for round two. With graduation in a couple weeks, I'd like to know how I can best focus my efforts on finding work. I currently have a 3.17 GPA and will be taking a single online class for the last credit I need to sit for Oregon's CPA exam. I worked part-time during school. I don't have the financial ability to stay in school for a master's degree. It's also going to be a challenge to afford the CPA preparation materials if I end up doing a labor job or something.

    Every posting I see (including on the University's career board) requires at least 1-2 years of experience, and my instructors practically beat it into us that graduates are expected to go through public firms to get their first experience. Our "Meet the Firms" event had maybe three tables for industry and two for government (the gal at the government table was really lonely).

    I'm not looking to make big money and work/life balance is important to me. I'd happily take on the hours and challenge of public if it meant a job, but I'd be just as happy in industry or government if I could find something truly entry-level that would give valuable experience. I thought tax was just as interesting as auditing, so I'm not super picky.

    What can I do to make myself an attractive applicant, and where can I look for entry-level jobs? Are there places outside of Oregon with larger job pools/more need?

    Thank you for your time.

    submitted by /u/TheOneWhoMurlocs
    [link] [comments]

    Demandwhiz achieves Account Based Marketing Expert certification - Demandwhiz

    Posted: 31 May 2018 10:17 PM PDT

    Have two interviews next week, one is for an Internal Auditor Position and the other is for Accounting Clerk.

    Posted: 31 May 2018 10:05 PM PDT

    Depending on how the interviews go, I'm not too sure which one to choose. Salary for the Accounting Clerk states 45-55 and the job description is the following

    - Generation of invoices for wholesale customers

    - Recording of accounts payable & receivable

    - Reconciliation of monthly bank statements

    - Monthly inventory stock-take and reconciliation

    - Assist Financial Controller with monthly profit & loss preparation, implementation of financial controls and overall improvements to the accounting system

    The Internal Auditor position has no salary listed, but I think I am going to get an offer since I had an interview last week for a different position (Payroll Analyst). I just wanted some advice/opinions on the two, both roles are in industry and I am located on the East Coast in a major city. Thanks in advance, long time reader on reddit and this is my first post !!!!

    submitted by /u/DrLifeCrDeath
    [link] [comments]

    This is Becker's new(ish?) Interface for simulations. This question only allows two lines to be viewed at a time.

    Posted: 31 May 2018 08:35 AM PDT

    How can I describe retail job so that it sounds relevant for an accounting internship/job?

    Posted: 31 May 2018 09:32 PM PDT

    So I am currently updating my LinkedIn, Resume, and my schools job site profile and I have come to the point where I enter in my work experience. I am currently working in appliance sales in a retail environment.

    Now Im not very good at writing resumes so I dont really have anything down for this section of the job description. I basically explain to customers the pros and cons of the appliances that they are looking, make sure that they have the right size appliances, make sure that they know how much installation will be, set up installation appointments for these clients, and then check up with them a day or two later after their installation to make sure that everything was done right. I also make sure and handle any problems that arise like things being installed wrong or damaged or the customer wanting to return or exchange any products. I am doing pretty good constantly ranking around 4th or 3rd in a store department of 6.

    Now even though that is what I do, I dont really know how to explain that in a way that would make it sound relevant for an accounting internship or job. Any one here who works retail while in college have any tips?

    submitted by /u/forestgather50
    [link] [comments]

    [US] I have recently decided on an Accounting major (Junior in HS) and have a few questions about my education.

    Posted: 31 May 2018 03:30 PM PDT

    I have a lot of college credits from HS that I think will take care of most of my gen ed at whatever college I attend, so I am debating a double major in 4 years vs a single major in accounting in 3 years. My plan is to work my way up the corporate ladder like any young chap, so I was thinking of going for Big 4 right out of college, getting a few years of experience, possibly getting an MBA, and then heading back to go for one of my dream companies and start climbing.

    Question 1: a) would it be worth it to go to school for an extra year to get a double major b) if so, what major would compliment it the best if my goal is to eventually go for CFO/executive positions? I've considered anything from business management to psychology or sociology, maybe economics or finance to further my knowledge making me more valuable thus allowing me to climb?

    Question 2: Quality of School: Should I attend a school like UW Madison (would be the biggest school I would consider attending as I'm from Wisconsin, visited twice to check it out, etc.) or go to a smaller school with a notably less respected program but where I would likely have far more financial aid (potentially a full ride, ACT was a 33 and GPA is 3.96ish, probably be president or an officer of schools FBLA).

    Question 3: How important is the CPA if my goal is to climb up a ways? Would I be better off going for an MBA in that time frame?

    I have even more questions but its hard for me to assemble them now so I will start with these.

    submitted by /u/Kobe_AYEEEEE
    [link] [comments]

    External Audit to IT Audit Salary

    Posted: 31 May 2018 06:00 PM PDT

    So im doing a transfer from the external audit service line to Advisory ( IT Audit line specifically in Texas Market) and wanted to see what's the salary norm as an A2( Staff 2)? Just wanted to see if firms usually match when your doing a permanent transfer and what the salary range tend to be. Can you negotiate, also what are the hours like, are bonus paid and generally how much?

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/FutureCPA23
    [link] [comments]

    After graduation. How should I enter into the accounting field?

    Posted: 31 May 2018 05:13 PM PDT

    I would appreciate any advice those of you with experience could give me on this.

    I dropped out of college at 20 years old to enter into Financial Planning, I quickly became a Financial Advisor but my employer and I agreed my age was a hinderance and I should focus on bringing in prospects for a "seasoned" advisor.

    I shifted to a sales / marketing role and stayed there for 10 years. Early last year I decided it was time for a change and switched to a B2B sales role in a completely different field. I also decided, it was time to finish school and will be graduating with a degree in Accounting in September.

    The school I am attending online is not a school where graduates are recruited.

    I am planning to immediately enter their Masters in Accounting program (which I will finish within a year) and pursue the CPA

    Do my 10 years of financial planning experience provide me with any advantage in a particular area of accounting? How will my experience (particularly in sales) be viewed? What position can I realistically attain after graduation?

    submitted by /u/I_Didnt_Want_Salmon
    [link] [comments]

    How to continue recruiting for public accounting, while at a dead-end bookkeeping job that offers no learning or growth opportunities.

    Posted: 31 May 2018 04:59 PM PDT

    Senior accounting student. Graduating on fall 2018. BAY member. Seeking a glimmer of hope, maybe even a wake up call for my situation.

    I'm honestly grateful for the 4 years where I primarily used to work, a nonprofit where I touched everything from AP to AR, AJEs, assisting with reporting, side projects... everything short of being a manager or using more intermediate accounting knowledge. Eventually I hit my plateau and began getting bored. I saw that my classmates all successfully recruited into B4 and midtier, while I remained working at a fixed schedule job an hour away from home. Through word of mouth, I heard that a position opened at a nonprofit 15 min away from home. I took the opportunity and applied.

    I switched primarily because of the shorter 15-min commute, and because of the work I envisioned this nonprofit is doing. I'm getting paid $16 for what I thought would be more learning opportunities, implementing internal controls, working side by side with a manager and controller, while learning a new branch of accounting.

    Started with none of that, and came to learn that:

    -AP schedule has not matched to BS for months, and has gotten worse due to weird journal entries attempting to correct the issue, so the AP schedule is unreliable.

    -AR schedule or donor list on QB is nonexistent, even though there's knowledge of Receivables and donors.

    -There were overdue bills and cancelled services due to missed bills.

    -They recently switched to a cheap payroll company that promised the moon and delivered none, but we've kept the company because "we're far too deep into the fiscal year"... and because they're cheap.

    -Contracts were missing because no one knows where they were filed. First task coming in was to "figure out how much we owe on (Vendor) and why we're off," nothing else. Came to find out we had 3 accounts for 3 different services, rather than 1 and 1. Manager was unaware, despite being here longer than me.

    -Items were put off for months simply because the manager didn't know how to deal with them.

    No biggie. I was told I'd assist with P&L reporting and other intermediate acct reporting. Learning opportunities and more learning after the small fires are put out, right?

    3 months in, and there's no learning whatsoever. I basically come in, load up QB on an old computer with a 5 year old HDD, check for bills or wait for bills to come in the mail. Everything I've done is attributed to my previous job; there's nothing to learn here. Fuck, even the server goes out now and then, so I can't even work in QB sometimes, so I'm stuck doing absolutely nothing for hours sometimes. Manager sometimes pipes up and says "Galexio, see this email? figure it out because I don't know what is going on." Actual quote.

    When I began, I thought we could begin improving internal controls and implement tighter regulations. After all, we've got a tight nonprofit budget. We can't even do that, it seems. Non-accounting managers don't follow the work flow, there's negligent spending, and when the Controller brought it up to the Executive Director, the ED just turned a blind eye on it and advised to bury the spending on a misc account. "It's... company culture, Galexio," my controller said. "We can't change it overnight." The transactions I see make me feel uneasy at times. I can't comprehend how there's no money for a cheap Brother laser printer, but $100+ weekly dinners and lavish restaurant tips are justified. I just can't. It's not what I initially signed up for. I went into accounting to help businesses and improve lives. I thought we'd be making a change in this non-profit, not mooch off a budget with lax regulations.

    The last straw was when I asked for some time off to go out of state. I was given the time off, but then we went over who would take my place in the meantime. "We'll have a temp coming in. You can train him, and it shouldn't be that difficult. It's just an AP job, and you can fix the temp's mistakes and leftover work when you come back." Then he went on to recall when I first got hired, and found it hilarious and overboard that I sent a thank you email for "just an AP job." Motherfucker, that's common courtesy. I don't even feel respected. I came in expecting to learn and grow. I'm just a warm body to them at this point.

    I've transitioned from being the eager new guy, to giving them the benefit of the doubt, to resenting coming in, to disliking it, to loathing and dreading coming in to work. I would kill to be overworked elsewhere at 80 hours a week at minimum wage. At least I would be productive and there would be learning and growing opportunities, promotions, and the ability to learn from fellow accountants and CPAs.

    It's mostly all ranting, but part of it is just a desperate seek of advice if there's hope for me. Just a glimmer. Anyone. Please.

    submitted by /u/Galexio
    [link] [comments]

    Do any other U.S. citizens put "Eligible to work in the U.S. with no restrictions" on their resume? My school required it but a hiring manager told me it's a red flag

    Posted: 31 May 2018 10:48 AM PDT

    I'm wondering if this might be why I haven't been getting as many call backs as expected. I recently graduated so I've been using the resume I created while in school. My school made us put at the bottom of our resumes that we're eligible to work (or that we have permits if not) to use the career site. I just got off the phone with the hiring manager of a company I applied for and she told me that she thought it meant I had a temporary permit. Was that her being dumb, for lack of a better word, or have I been getting screwed over by my school?

    edit: I have a foreign (but common) name and my school has many international students

    submitted by /u/yikingyocks
    [link] [comments]

    Can someone please advise

    Posted: 31 May 2018 03:45 PM PDT

    Okay. Basic t accounts

    I have accounts:

    Capital Bank (asset) Cash sales (asset) Credit sales (asset) Credit sales (liability) Supplier (not sure since I start with 5k cap, goes to bank, bank goes to stock - or does it go cap to bank, bank to supplier, supplier stock?)

    I do not know what my stock is worth until I sell it all!

    All totals are a months worth

    I invest 5,000 I make 2,410 cash sales Credit sales, paid on time - 9168 Credit sales not paid on time - 2292

    Can anyone advise?

    Where I was struggling was that my 5k stock is credited with a 11578 total.

    Am I correct in thinking this is correct?

    My supplier is a liability but with 5k capital there will be no liability until the following month.

    Edit: I have studied double entry bookkeeping for one year. This was two years ago.

    submitted by /u/stawny
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment