• Breaking News

    Wednesday, February 28, 2018

    Accounting Looking at busy season memes as a student

    Accounting Looking at busy season memes as a student


    Looking at busy season memes as a student

    Posted: 28 Feb 2018 05:59 PM PST

    Clients when you ask for supporting documentation for a transaction and you explicitly tell them to not send a general ledger printout

    Posted: 28 Feb 2018 07:44 AM PST

    Yes it does.

    Posted: 28 Feb 2018 02:08 PM PST

    I got a fucking 69 on FAR

    Posted: 28 Feb 2018 04:52 PM PST

    Honestly fuck me. I should've microdosed the shrooms and popped more adderall. Atleast I got a feel of what this exam actually is

    submitted by /u/Urameshiii
    [link] [comments]

    The CFO can do whatnow?!

    Posted: 28 Feb 2018 07:41 AM PST

    How to end an interview

    Posted: 28 Feb 2018 04:45 PM PST

    I feel the question part is always weird for me, do I end the interview or do they? Any good ways to end an interview and leave a good impression? looking at big 4 and other top public firms

    submitted by /u/orange_fuckin_peel
    [link] [comments]

    Anybody else unironically enjoy studying for the CPA

    Posted: 28 Feb 2018 01:07 PM PST

    Sure the material may be a little bit dry, but doing the MCQs are a fun challenge, kinda like solving a puzzle. Or maybe my AR job is so incredibly boring that it makes anything else seem fun

    submitted by /u/LordSalamandor
    [link] [comments]

    Campus Recruiting Hurts Older Workers, Suit Against PricewaterhouseCoopers Claims

    Posted: 28 Feb 2018 02:37 PM PST

    Googled/Chegged there way through college??

    Posted: 28 Feb 2018 05:57 PM PST

    Graduating this spring w an accounting degree and I feel I used google for all my home work and take home assignments. Getting 90s on the homework and 70s or so on tests. But I feel as if I still don't understand accounting. Any one else feel like this?

    submitted by /u/that-one-guy12325
    [link] [comments]

    Forgot to bring dress belt to the gym this morning

    Posted: 28 Feb 2018 03:36 AM PST

    Luckily I have all these extra busy season pounds to hold my pants up

    submitted by /u/Bigham1745
    [link] [comments]

    [CAN] How to study for Core 1 in a month?

    Posted: 28 Feb 2018 08:40 PM PST

    Hi everyone,

    I ended up deferring my core 1 exam previously due to some family reasons and now I have a one month to study for the exam. I have access to the module which I did last semester in order to be eligible for my deferred exam. I haven't really opened any of the material since December. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can practice so that I am able to pass the exam?

    submitted by /u/accountantthrow
    [link] [comments]

    Has anyone on this sub experienced this to be true?

    Posted: 28 Feb 2018 07:49 PM PST

    Everyday at Work Knowing the Audit Procedures Must Go on.....

    Posted: 28 Feb 2018 09:06 PM PST

    How do you deal with someone breaking down in the Audit Room?

    Posted: 28 Feb 2018 04:05 PM PST

    See Above.

    submitted by /u/SeriousIntern
    [link] [comments]

    At what point will a 15% raise not sway you to leave your job that you are happy with?

    Posted: 28 Feb 2018 05:04 PM PST

    I have an opportunity to leave for about a 15% raise. I like my job and my coworkers. I'm actually pretty happy, and already make over $100k. But it's still a 15% raise, I got a family to think about. The situation led me to wonder... assuming the current job is a satisfactory one, at what salary point would people forego a reasonable raise (10-20%) and just stay at the current job and be happy? For sure, if I was making $200k, I wouldn't leave a job I'm happy with unless the raise was significant and life changing.

    submitted by /u/Oberyns_face
    [link] [comments]

    Picking a path: Student Advice

    Posted: 28 Feb 2018 04:34 PM PST

    So I've been trying to decide if I want to do tax or audit and I read through a lot of posts and they suggested learning from the classes and internships. Unfortunately, my school is set up in a way that I can only take audit my final semester. I enjoyed my business law class and I like individual taxation but I decided I don't want to do individual taxation as a career because I don't want to work in public forever.

    If I don't like financial analysis, should I not do audit? I love logic problems and solving puzzles but I really enjoy planning and organization, too. I'm pretty extroverted and enjoy talking to people and getting out, which is why I feel torn between the two. My briggs meyer test lands between ISFJ/ESFJ depending on the day, take it or leave it.

    My long-term goals are vague right now because I haven't had a lot of experience. I am going to go public; aiming for big4/mid-tier and I'm going to try and dip my toes in as many areas as I can so I can figure out what specialty is best for me. I could see myself in a management role one day but I don't want to be a CFO/CEO.

    End-career goal: work a job that pays well (right now in my head that is like ~$100,000) and WFH/flexible hours outside of busy season OR a good amount of PTO. I love traveling so it needs to accommodate that.

    I don't have any more time to do an internship in audit and my internship right now is doing individual taxes.

    submitted by /u/accountingthehoes
    [link] [comments]

    Ageism at Big 4 firms. Thoughts?

    Posted: 28 Feb 2018 05:46 PM PST

    I work at a regional firm and as a 2nd year associate, I found that all but one of my peers is around 22-25 when starting as an associate (out of about 40 people). I just wanted to share and see your opinions.

    submitted by /u/a_counting_wiz
    [link] [comments]

    Accountants and Headphones

    Posted: 28 Feb 2018 08:58 AM PST

    Hello all,

    I was just wondering how many of you are/are not allowed to wear headphones at work. Also, if you could say your title and public or industry that would be great. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Primelineal
    [link] [comments]

    Burnt out from Big 4 - Don't think I can make it to senior

    Posted: 28 Feb 2018 03:56 AM PST

    I did my intern in Dec 16 and got an offer to start July 17 in audit. I'm currently an associate 2 moving to associate 3 in October. This is my second busy season and I feel seriously unhappy at the big 4 for numerous reasons.

    • I don't feel like I belong here. Everyone in my cohort and office seem to be extroverted, love chatting, partying and drinking. I'm none of these. I don't drink, party and I'm an introvert that doesn't really have much to say. In the 8 months I have worked here, I haven't made a single friend only acquaintances. I panic when there are training weeks because everyone else in my cohort has their cliques.

    • If I compare the backgrounds of my cohort, I'm pretty sure I'd have the lowest GPA (minimum GPA to even apply for Big 4). I've snooped around and have noticed a lot of them had titles such as president or vice presidents of X uni accounting club or had close to perfect GPAs. I honestly don't know how I got into Big 4 in the first place.

    -Furthermore, I feel like I'm too dumb for this. I don't understand what the client is saying nor do I remember. I don't even understand what my senior or manager is saying at times even when they repeat it to me.

    • The deadlines stress me out. It's just engagement after engagement after engagement every 1-3 weeks on top of overhang (busy season or not). I exert myself throughout on my current job just to make sure or minimise the overhang.

    • Performance reviews make me anxious. I hate performance reviews. I hate how they have to be given out after every job. It makes me overly paranoid on jobs thinking the senior hates me or is mad at me, I need to do better, I need to work faster, I need to ask less stupid questions, I need to minimise review notes etc. To be fair, in the past I haven't actually received a bad performance review in the past (average performance is about 4/5) but as my depression/anxiety/whatever it is grows (?) in the past two jobs for these past 3 weeks, I've been told my quality of work is poor and I'm not performing to my rank (and I totally agree).

    • The pay is depressing for the hours worked. Everyone says to just suck it up to senior but the more I think about it, it doesn't make sense to work overtime for approx 6/12 months of the year just to be paid a salary that is equivalent to a full time retail worker!! To add to this. Where I'm from (not US), it doesn't take 1.5 - 2 years to get to senior. The standard here is 2.5 - 3 years. At the start I thought I could make it to senior and obtain my CA and leave with no issues but I'm really struggling here. This was supposed to be my first semester of CA but I dropped it last week. I have no motivation to become a CA and I'm unsure I want to spend another 2 years studying to become a certified accountant.

    Anyways I'm just here to rant. Looking back at uni, I've never actually enjoyed accounting. I only 'dealt' with it and coasted through it with medicore grades. From my other short internship in corporate finance and just observing the clients out on site, if I had to sit in front of excel all day everyday for the rest of my life I'd rather just kill myself (theoretically, not actually suicidal). So now I'm just wondering to myself what I can do with my accounting degree if I don't want to become an accountant.

    submitted by /u/purplefish1
    [link] [comments]

    Undergrad accounting major trying to get an internship

    Posted: 28 Feb 2018 06:35 PM PST

    Recently stumbled upon this subreddit because I'm procrastinating my work.. I'm currently a double major in accounting and finance and I'm trying to get an internship for the summer. Any places in Virginia of open availability for a summer 2018 internship opportunity?

    submitted by /u/LuckyDaDucky
    [link] [comments]

    Have two offer letters in my possession. Need help with the choice.

    Posted: 28 Feb 2018 02:14 PM PST

    I have two offers on the table that I will contrast as comprehensively as possible without divulging sensitive information. Both are entry level

    Company 1: Accounting Associate for self-directed IRA administrator

    Pros:

    • Pay is $37,500 with "very possible" raise at the end of 3 month probation to $40,000

    • 401k 4% match

    • Directly reporting to Director of Operations. Very small office.

    • 6 paid Holidays. Vacation accrues at a rate of 8 hours/ month.

    Cons:

    • No health insurance of any kind

    Company 2: Accounting Assistant for Recruiting firm

    Pros:

    • Base pay $38,304 with possible bonus up to $38,765 (The base actually includes a base guaranteed bonus they offered)

    • Health and dental insurance.

    • Based in larger metropolitan area with more possible connections

    Cons:

    • 20 minutes further drive

    • No match on 401k

    • I can't rememer the PTO policy but I don't think it was as generous

    I am 24 and recently graduated for context. I'm inclined to take company #1 because if I don't I will be burning a bridge for about 1 grand, which does not seem worth it. The only thing that irks me is the no health, dental, or vision. However, I'm young enough that I probably won't die or go into debt because of it. I can give more specific information about job duties if it is important.

    submitted by /u/lambuscred
    [link] [comments]

    No offer big 4 audit

    Posted: 28 Feb 2018 09:45 PM PST

    Hey everyone

    quite annoyed with receiving a reject from big 4 audit after completing an internship with them over the summer. The HR gave me fluff about needing to improve 'problem solving' and be more 'confident in ability', yet added that the teams were "extremely happy with my work". I was only given data entry tasks and find it real hard to somehow problem solve changing the dates of spreadsheet/rolling forward past documents. I was pretty blunt with the HR calling them out on there bullshit. Saw this as an opportunity to really question the profession and whether I actually fit in and want to do it (I made a lot of great friends with the vaccies, but tbh i really didnt enjoy the work and that wasnt based on my tasks alone, it was also on looking what your responsibilities are when you are 5 years in at manager etc.) Im pretty disappointed soley on the fact that I believed you receive an offer until you 'screw up' within big 4 audit. Ive seen posts like this before and always see it as the person posting not giving the full story of how they really pissed off a lot of people and were unbearable to work with, yet I played it safe being polite and laughing but never running my mouth. Im quite disappointed and looking now at finding a career that allows you to use your 'creative side' with my soon accounting degree and would like help? What professions are there that allow me to be creative within the industry? Maybe i would prefer consulting...?

    submitted by /u/killerkelsoo
    [link] [comments]

    Tax Transaction services

    Posted: 28 Feb 2018 09:42 PM PST

    Anybody here in tax due diligence type roles? Interested in hearing about the day to day activities, overall career satisfaction and any other relevant information. Thanks in advance

    submitted by /u/Bigpumafan23
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment