• Breaking News

    Tuesday, February 1, 2022

    Under 6 figures!! Student Loans

    Under 6 figures!! Student Loans


    Under 6 figures!!

    Posted: 31 Jan 2022 05:15 PM PST

    I'm so happy — I graduated law school 4 years ago with 300k in student debt. I'm now at 95k as of this morning. Every payment felt like a drop in the bucket at the beginning, and I felt shackled to a job that I hated and that had me working 100hr/week.

    Smash cut to today — I've got a new job that I love, am in a happy relationship and THE END IS IN SIGHT!!

    Didn't have anywhere else to share this, so hope this is ok!!

    submitted by /u/Pretend-Dentist-3683
    [link] [comments]

    How to cancel student loan?

    Posted: 31 Jan 2022 09:41 AM PST

    How to cancel my student loan?

    I took out a 4k loan with interest itll be probably 9k, but my school has just given me an interest free student loan of $1,000 as well as a 4,000 grant.

    I obviously don't need this garbage student loan now. They informed me that it is set to disperse on Feb 11. How do I tell them that I do not need it anymore?

    ALSO, since student loan payments are frozen, does my private or federal student loan accrue interest atm?

    submitted by /u/pancakebatter500
    [link] [comments]

    Confused about any US college for Filmmaking degree with less debt

    Posted: 31 Jan 2022 10:46 PM PST

    Hey there I'm a class 11th student in an asian country and i dream of studying Filmmaking in the US. I have no literal money aid for my studying and I'm relying on scholarships and study loans. I personally liked to go to NYU Tisch and that's why visited this amazing subreddit.

    But then I saw this post of a student that you guys saved him from a 144k debt from going to NYU.

    Reading all the comments in the post, i realised from you guys that studying film in the NYU with a debt of 144k is not that efficient for my future.

    And now I'm confused that if not NYU then which college to apply for studying films in US.

    My goal is as rigid as a rock and i don't want to sacrifice my dream for money. I love Filmmaking and would try everything to learn it.

    And that's why I want you all to help me in identifying which college is best for Filmmaking and also don't get into any heavy loan debts.

    This is my first post, so i hope you all wil help me and your statements can show the right direction to my life :D

    submitted by /u/shadex_001
    [link] [comments]

    How can you get more federal loans?

    Posted: 31 Jan 2022 09:47 PM PST

    According to my FAFSA, I'll only get around 5k in unsubsidized federal loans a year, but there has to be a way to get more right? And I don't believe it would be dangerous for me to take out more as my amount of loans would still remain under my starting salary. Everyone in here talks about how bad private loans are, so im afraid to take any of them. Any help is appreciated!

    submitted by /u/geckojiii
    [link] [comments]

    MyFedLoan New Servicer?

    Posted: 31 Jan 2022 03:05 PM PST

    I logged into MyFedLoan today, to make a payment, and noticed that I have a $0 balance.

    My loan must of been moved to another servicer, but wasn't sent any info on who that servicer might be.

    Any thoughts on how I figure this out? Or are they all moving to one new servicer, for everyone?

    submitted by /u/calicobrak
    [link] [comments]

    How soon is too soon to refinance private loans?

    Posted: 31 Jan 2022 10:41 PM PST

    So I owe just over $51,000 to Sallie Mae after coming out of grad school. My grace period ended two months ago and I've been able to make both payments in full BUT the first one was only $475, and the following + upcoming payments are over $600.

    (Yes, I know I shouldn't have gone with a variable interest rate, but I had teenage brain so uh, here we are.)

    The silver lining, as I see it, is that I landed a $50k/year salary straight out of school (in a creative field, so i initially thought i'd be doomed to freelance). I got really excited about this until I crunched the numbers and realized that once the pandemic pause ends on my federal loans, I'm looking at roughly $1100 a month between Sallie and nelnet, which I can probably do but not comfortably. I worked hard through so many years of school to get here, and I work really hard at my job. It's so easy to feel like none of it is worth it when I can't afford a meal out every once in awhile.

    Anyway, I gotta get these monthly payments down by $300 or so total. I checked out Earnest but I'm hesitant to go through with the application because I know so little about how this world works/what they need to approve me. It sounds like it's better to wait before refinancing, but I can't sleep at night thinking about how much interest I'd hand over to Sallie if I wait 10 more months.

    TLDR: sizable monthly private loan payments straight out of school, want to refinance but worried it's still too soon.

    submitted by /u/immanuelkantofficial
    [link] [comments]

    What If’s and pulling the trigger on my SL

    Posted: 31 Jan 2022 10:44 AM PST

    I fell for it… thinking they would change the PSLF to front end forgiveness up to $10k per year once you are past 5 years which I am. I started saving up $50,000 to pay the other half. I've just kept saving while nothing changes that impacts my situation and now by the May start up, if that happens…I have enough to pay the $94,000k balance off. This is what I want, to get free of this madness and get the shackles off to community mental health employment. BUT the chatter in my head is intense… "put the money on the mortgage", "they'll surely do blanket forgiveness by May", "you only have 4 more years and it'll all go away", "you'll never get this much money saved up again" and even " put it all in an investment account". Ugh! How do I move forward? If you paid off or are paying off your SL, how to you navigate these mind traps were in?

    submitted by /u/ptarmiganridgetrail
    [link] [comments]

    Navient -> Aidvantage Switch - Why aren't they reporting to credit bureaus?

    Posted: 31 Jan 2022 06:27 AM PST

    So late 2021 the federal loans being serviced through Navient were moved to Aidvantage. Honestly it seems like the exact same interface and setup except the Navient branding was swapped with Aidvantage, which is fine.

    Question: Since the end of November neither has reported to any of the 3 credit bureaus. I've been paying some every month but there has been no update and last report was 11/29. Is this the case for everyone else? Any idea when they'll start reporting? I know it's usually once a month so it's only December that's technically been missed so far but still, just wondering. TYIA.

    submitted by /u/Aleppo316
    [link] [comments]

    Advise loan situation 32k

    Posted: 31 Jan 2022 08:09 PM PST

    Hey I will graduate my Masters of Public Health degree this semester with 32k in federal direct loans (subsidized and unsub). Do y'all suggest doing PSLF? I probably should've started earlier right because I've been working for a non profit for the past 8 months. Did I miss out on the 0% payments? Or should I just pay off 32k over time?

    submitted by /u/starspacers
    [link] [comments]

    How Do You Choose Which Loan To Payoff First and When to Switch?

    Posted: 31 Jan 2022 01:52 PM PST

    Not gonna bog you down with details. I just moved back to my parents' rent free and just started a good paying WFH job. I have about 40k in private loans and I want to pay them off as fast and efficiently as possible. I just got my first paycheck and I'm gonna throw a lump sum at them. My question is, how to efficiently divvy it up?

    I have three different loans; $16k (9%), $15k (8%), and $10k (6%)

    I know I should aim for the highest loan generating the most interest initially, but how do I know when to switch?

    For those that still might not get what I'm asking, let's say I throw $6k at my $16k loan because it has the highest interest. I would now be at $10k (9%) and 15k (8%). The $15k, would be generating more interest overall, because the principal is higher.

    submitted by /u/dlwburner
    [link] [comments]

    Need advice

    Posted: 31 Jan 2022 06:56 PM PST

    I went to a 4 year private school and stayed there for 2 extra years to earn a masters degree in school counseling. This made my private loans over 100,000. My monthly payments through Salliemae are 2,500 a month. With an educator salary…. 100% of my pay is going to my loans. I tried refinancing with citizens bank and they denied me. Sallie Mae pressured me to do forbearance this time last year for about 2 months. At this time I am only paying on interest. This spring I am scheduled to start paying the full 2,500. I feel like I am screwed over.

    PS I Reside in PA and do not work at a Title 1 school. I also have 2 part time jobs and live with my mom because my loans prevent me to ever have a bill over 500 dollars. Please help

    submitted by /u/willhm22
    [link] [comments]

    Is My Edu Solutions a scam?

    Posted: 31 Jan 2022 03:05 PM PST

    I recently received a phone call from my education solutions based out of San Antonio Texas. In conversing with the representative from this agency I was told that I can have my student loans transferred to them and pay on a 10 year-based program to reduce my student loans at a feasible payment amount and then at the end of the ten years, have the full amount of the student loan forgiven. The difference in this as opposed to the typical income based repayment plan is once the loan is forgiven, I do not have to count the forgiven amount as taxable income for that tax year when the loan amount is forgiven. This sounds honestly way too good to be true. Also, with the idea of potential student loan forgiveness on the horizon, I've been given a deadline of May 1 to make a decision as to whether I want to transfer my student loans to my education solutions. So the question is, do any of you have any experience or know of anyone that has had any experience with my education solutions? In addition to that what has been their experience? Is it actually too good to be true or is it a realistic solution to actually taking accountability for my debt and paying it off in a reasonable amount of time for a reasonable amount of money?

    Also I'm a teacher, which apparently mattered to MyEd Solutions when it came to forgiveness and whatnot.

    submitted by /u/ketchupmaster91
    [link] [comments]

    Fasfa info (efc) ?

    Posted: 31 Jan 2022 02:36 PM PST

    First time college parent, figured out the fasfa got it done… Can someone explain the EFC ? I've googled it and have found various answers lol.

    As a single dad, I figured my efc would be lower than the 8713 it came out to. I was told by a few schools to blame my state (pa) due to their high taxes ? I did a efc Calculator before completing the fasfa and it said I should have been around 5500…. I did use the irs tool to import my taxes for fafsa maybe it was user error on my behalf.

    Just trying to learn about the efc as we wait for the financial offers from the schools my son is interested In.

    It appears it make enough money by son doesn't qualify for much, but I don't make enough money to pay for college lol (90% of the country ?) I guess we won't know for sure until the letters from the schools come.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/buzz72b
    [link] [comments]

    I accidentally signed up for fewer credits than necessary to receive financial aid. This was fixed and the financial aid officer told me that funds will go through my student account tomorrow. Any idea how long it will take for the refund to actually hit my bank account?

    Posted: 31 Jan 2022 04:34 PM PST

    Basically the question is in the title. I go through BankMobile who typically take 1 day compared to 3 for a standard checking account. Is this still the cause if it's just hitting my student account tomorrow?

    submitted by /u/potroast_sleuth
    [link] [comments]

    Advice needed ASAP Exit loan counseling

    Posted: 31 Jan 2022 02:33 PM PST

    I'm confused about this. I took a semester off but I'm back in school for spring. However my school is still requiring me to complete exit loan counseling before I can get aid for the spring. I just finished completing the forms but it said my payments start Feb 2022 which is tomorrow… will I still have to pay since I'm technically enrolled now? I'm so confused

    submitted by /u/imamothernodrama
    [link] [comments]

    Any context to this?

    Posted: 31 Jan 2022 10:36 AM PST

    https://amp.marca.com/en/lifestyle/us-news/2022/01/31/61f8096922601d1a168b4572.html

    Does anyone have any additional articles for this? This seems to be the only one. Any additional information or context is appreciated.

    submitted by /u/jkrahn7
    [link] [comments]

    Who’s had bankmobile as their stipend check provider ?

    Posted: 31 Jan 2022 12:47 PM PST

    My school sent my stipend to bankmobile today, there's still no record of a refund on bankmobiles website. How long will it be until I get my refund ?

    submitted by /u/Background-Ad-9834
    [link] [comments]

    Where to start with student loans?

    Posted: 31 Jan 2022 08:40 AM PST

    Hi,

    I currently have around $94k of student federal loans. I have around $73k with Great Lakes and $21k with Fed Loan. I'm not sure where to start with these payments...do I consolidate? What would be the best way to start with these loans? See breakdown below.

    Great Lakes:

    Balance & Status

    • Principal: $35,617.33
    • Accrued Interest: $6,402.25
    • Total Balance as of Jan 31, 2022: $42,019.58

    Loans in this Account

    Direct Unsubsidized Stafford $9,078.330

    Direct Subsidized Stafford $3,835.520

    Direct Unsubsidized Stafford $3,166.240

    Direct Unsubsidized Stafford $9,703.420

    Direct Unsubsidized Stafford $9,018.53

    Direct Unsubsidized Stafford $7,217.54

    • Principal: $30,750.00
    • Accrued Interest: $0.00
    • Total Balance as of Jan 31, 2022: $30,750.00

    Loans in this Account

    Direct Unsubsidized Stafford $20,500

    Direct Unsubsidized Stafford $10,250

    _________________________________________________________________________________________

    Fed Loan:

    DIRECT UNSUB STAFFORD LOAN $14,525.00

    Loan Balance

    • Original Balance: $14,525.00
    • Unpaid Interest: $62.98
    • Principal Balance: $14,525.00

    DIRECT UNSUB STAFFORD LOAN $5,975.00

    Loan Balance

    • Original Balance: $5,975.00
    • Unpaid Interest: $137.13
    • Principal Balance: $5,975.00

    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks.

    Edit: $78k salary. No car payment, just $750 rent. I do not qualify for PSLF as I work for a government contractor.

    submitted by /u/wwhill14
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone having trouble paying the forbearance lump sum even though it makes the most sense?

    Posted: 30 Jan 2022 10:44 PM PST

    I assume most of us here who have federal loans have been saving up to pay in a lump sum while payment is on forbearance. However, are there folks out there like me who is now finding it hard to pay the lump sum even though I didn't mind it at all while I was enrolled in "auto-pay" prior to the pandemic?

    Prior to forbearance, I had a lot of monthly expenses that included high rent in a HCOL area. My savings was under $8K at all times. I have about ~$5K tossed in a brokerage account.

    My company transitioned to WFH and I moved back home, however, I bought a new used car because my beater died and my parents didn't want to co-sign unless I got a newer car (2019).

    Long story short, I've saved up ~35K since then and know that I should pay them off come May. However, I now have a car loan and I feel so stuck on how to distribute my savings.

    Debt info:
    $21,000 in car loans @ 4.9%
    $4,500 in federal student loans at 5%
    $26,000 in federal student loan between 2%-4%

    A) Part of me wanted to just throw it all on my student loan and "eliminate" the burden altogether. However, that would leave me with ~$4,500 in my account. Which is manageable but I'd be out of an emergency fund and would have to build it again slowly. For some reason I get more stress over my student loans over my car loan, even though my interest is higher and I pay $700 a month since I had very little down payment.

    B) It probably makes the most sense to pay off my car loan completely, and knock out the $4.5K federal loans @ 5%? and have ~$7-8K in savings.

    C) This is the dumbest option but I can't help but feel SAFE seeing over $20K in my low yield savings account. I want to knock out the 4.5K student loan and 10K in car loans. Leaving me with ~20K in savings, and move forward with my monthlies.

    I really need you guys to talk some sense into me. I thought about posting in /r/personalfinance BUT this is mostly about my student loans, and how I'd rather not pay the lump sum because the forbearance has made me "addicted and feel safe" to seeing cash in my account even though they would've been automatically deducted had the pandemic not happened.

    submitted by /u/OHOWDYTHEREFOLKS
    [link] [comments]

    Loan Advice

    Posted: 30 Jan 2022 08:10 PM PST

    My loans have been deferred to May, but I wanted to go ahead and start planning. I'm mainly intrigued by consolidating them. I have 10 federal loans (~$40k), about half subsidized half not. Should I be looking into consolidation? Or should I just pay the payments as they come. Also are there any tips you have for me? This is my first time dealing with anything like this, and i'm a little nervous

    submitted by /u/TeaIsMyRemedy
    [link] [comments]

    Student Loan Balance Payoff

    Posted: 30 Jan 2022 06:43 PM PST

    Hello All - I am currently enrolled in IBR payment plan and my previous servicer was Navient (now Aidvantage). Since all loans are in deferment, is it safe to say that my payoff balance is exactly what is shows on the Aidvantage website? Just wanted to make sure they there isn't any hidden fees or such if I decide to pull the trigger and pay it all off now!

    Thanks in advance for the help and advice!

    submitted by /u/NewRough18
    [link] [comments]

    Does interest capitalize in graduate school?

    Posted: 30 Jan 2022 04:17 PM PST

    This is for federal loans. I graduated during the pandemic payment freeze so my interest did not capitalize. I am now going back to school for post-grad, so once payment resumes in May I will be considered in school still. Will the interest that accumulated in my first degree capitalize?

    submitted by /u/HistoricalPatient629
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment