• Breaking News

    Thursday, September 9, 2021

    Paid off my sallie mae loans! Student Loans

    Paid off my sallie mae loans! Student Loans


    Paid off my sallie mae loans!

    Posted: 08 Sep 2021 07:31 AM PDT

    Just made my final payment to sallie mae this morning! Borrowed about $25.5k and ended up paying close to $44k. Super happy to have that out of the way & now just have to worry about $24k in federal loans. Seeing others here hustle to get their loans paid really motivated me to get it done!

    submitted by /u/Karinilla
    [link] [comments]

    Goodbye AES!

    Posted: 08 Sep 2021 09:35 AM PDT

    My final payment went through and my private loans are gone! I paid about 3-4K a month on my loans and paid off all 62k of my private loans!

    Next is my federal loans, but I should have those fully paid off a month or two after interest kicks back in. 23k to go!

    submitted by /u/CHRlSFRED
    [link] [comments]

    US disabled citizen living out of the country... Anyone else or advice on how to apply for forgiveness under new rules?!

    Posted: 09 Sep 2021 01:54 AM PDT

    I'm considering applying but I have multiple disabilities and am not really capable of doing the process myself. There are doctors in my current country who studied and finsiihed their doctorates in the US, wondering if they can do the sign off. Or for organisations helping folks go thru the process...

    I'm also in default so kinda nervous about getting in contact and giving my out of country address in case they start chasing me down here. Had to stop paying bc chronic illnesses hit fast and hard and am barely able to eat let alone call for deferral etc. 😕

    Any ideas welcomed 🙏

    submitted by /u/itsmariboro
    [link] [comments]

    I have $20k in student loan debt can I pay it all off at once? I graduated may last year so I still have not accrued any interest due to COVID relief.

    Posted: 08 Sep 2021 10:19 PM PDT

    Wanting to Attend Med School

    Posted: 08 Sep 2021 10:13 PM PDT

    Hi! I'm a recent graduate from Indiana University - Bloomington where I majored in Finance and Accounting. I then obtained a job as an Auditor for E&Y. I quickly discovered that this wasn't the career path for me. I lack interest in what I'm doing and I want my career to have purpose (I.e. helping people). That's why I want to return to school to get the prerequisites to ultimately attend Med school. The problem is I'm already drowning in student loans ($94k in private and $30k in federal). To return to get the prerequisites I'd have to do a post-bacc or non degree and take on further private loans. Can anyone attest to whether it would be worth it to take on further loans. Any tips on paying for it? I appreciate any advice you can offer!

    submitted by /u/dovon101
    [link] [comments]

    Do I need to apply for FAFSA or other financial aid?

    Posted: 08 Sep 2021 01:55 PM PDT

    I've been told by school faculty that everyone should apply for FAFSA but I don't really know eligibility or anything like that. Money is not a problem, so I don't know if aid would save money or what. I know student loans for my situation are pointless because it would cost more in the long run than just writing the check. If someone who knows really anything about financial aid/FAFSA could explain how it works and if I should get it that would be great. I know pretty much nothing about financial aid.

    submitted by /u/MordekaiserUwU
    [link] [comments]

    Can anyone give me some guidance on how to get my ITT student loans removed. I went there in Dec 07. I know I can apply for borrowers defense but honestly have no clue what I'm doing and I don't have any of my paperwork cause threw it years ago

    Posted: 08 Sep 2021 07:42 PM PDT

    can someone tell me that ill be okay and everything will work out

    Posted: 08 Sep 2021 10:16 AM PDT

    i am starting college soon and about to take out private loans, my parents are too rich for financial aid but cant afford to pay for my college (which i am totally okay with). i keep seeing people freaking out about student debt and i have terrible anxiety and it's making me freak out more than i feel like i should. deep down i am not worried about the loans because i know im a hard worker and can pay them off, but all these people posting about how awful they are and that college is not worth it is worrying me and making me anxious. its not like im going to go 100k+ in debt, i dont even know if this is the right sub to post this but i could really use some reassurance or encouragement that everything will be fine and student loans arent such an awful thing.

    submitted by /u/TimelessButterfly
    [link] [comments]

    Collections Agency just notified me that I made a payment "too early" on my Perkins loan and it doesn't count towards rehabilitation program. And now it's past my program's first due date.

    Posted: 08 Sep 2021 08:12 AM PDT

    Hi all.

    As you can see from the title, I'm in a weird predicament. I have a Perkins loan that defaulted years ago, so I decided to FINALLY get set up on a rehabilitation program and take care of it. I recently just sent back the signed paperwork and made my first payment on August 31st.

    My program is set up so that my payments are due on the 2nd of each month, starting September of this year. Being my first payment, I wasn't sure how long it would take to process in their system so naturally I paid it a few days early to make sure it was received on time. I just got a call this morning from the collections agency saying that I paid "too early" and because of that, my payment history will only reflect payments for August and October (my next due date), essentially making it seem like I didn't pay for September at all. And since the rehabilitation program requires 9 consecutive payments, this could void my entire program.

    The person I spoke with recommended that I make another payment to show that I had payment activity for September, so I did. But being 5 days after my original due date, I'm wondering if this payment will still count towards my rehabilitation program? Or will this void the entire thing since the payment is 5 days late? I'm low-key freaking out because I don't want to have to set up the program ALL over again. And I'm already frustrated that my account will now show that I made an early payment that doesn't even count towards my program. Has anyone experienced anything like this?

    submitted by /u/ThrowRA_bruhnana
    [link] [comments]

    No income based repayment recertification this year

    Posted: 08 Sep 2021 06:51 AM PDT

    I always get my recertification of my income in August and Nelnet has not reached out to me to do it yet. Normally I get sent forms and have some type of communication online. Is that being postponed?

    submitted by /u/Jax8988
    [link] [comments]

    TIL: There is a waitlist for a credit card through loan servicer Earnest that gives you cash back, and multiplies it 1.2x when you use cash back towards your student loans.

    Posted: 08 Sep 2021 05:11 PM PDT

    I was trying to get some info on my earnest account page when I saw their "products" tab. First thing that came up was a credit card with cash back perks towards student loans. Joined the waitlist because why the hell not. It works for ANY student loan, govt or private, which is surprisingly helpful. Might as well make the cash back go somewhere.

    https://www.earnest.com/credit-card

    submitted by /u/InhExh
    [link] [comments]

    When to refinance?

    Posted: 08 Sep 2021 04:43 PM PDT

    I graduated in December 2020 with 110k in student loans (all private). I currently have a ~7% interest rate which I'm aware is terrible. My monthly payment is $1100+. After the 6 months grace period, I made my first 3 payments. I want to refinance as soon as possible to get a lower interest rate but I've been told that I should wait until I've made a few more payments to build more credit. When is the right time to refinance? My credit score is very good and I have 5+ years of credit card history.

    Any advice is much appreciated!

    submitted by /u/jbreezy1234
    [link] [comments]

    Is Nelnet down?

    Posted: 08 Sep 2021 09:08 AM PDT

    I went to ITT between 2012 - 2017 and should be getting loan forgiveness. I check everyday on Nelnet and Studentaid. However, Nelnet is not working for me this morning on my phone or my computer. Anyone else having issues?

    submitted by /u/soapyxdelicious
    [link] [comments]

    Fedloan is horrible!

    Posted: 08 Sep 2021 03:36 PM PDT

    I paid off a loan from fedloan in July and received a paid in full letter from them a couple weeks later. Magically I somehow have a balance on this loan. I ask them why and send the letter they sent me documenting it's paid in full. 2 weeks later I get an email saying that balance is correct with no explanation of why the payoff amount I was given was incorrect. Wtf? Is this going to happen every time I payoff a loan? What about when I finish making my 120 payments for loan forgiveness? Are any loans actually paid in full when you think they are?

    It's a small amount so I can pay it, but that just makes me feel dirty. Like when they told me several of my payments didn't count for loan forgiveness because they didn't send me a bill those months. Why was I paying if they weren't billing me? Ugh they are the worst. It's only going to get worse too when I get transferred to another servicer. I'm sure they'll mess that up too.

    I really hope this kind of stuff isn't happening to everyone.

    submitted by /u/Booksonthebeach2019
    [link] [comments]

    Best way to find out my student loans?

    Posted: 08 Sep 2021 10:56 AM PDT

    I thought I had them on auto pay but I'm realizing I don't and I have no idea what my loans are or who they're though.

    Any advice for how to find them?

    submitted by /u/redapple912
    [link] [comments]

    Sallie Mae Advice

    Posted: 08 Sep 2021 08:48 AM PDT

    Hello all,

    I recently started grad school and have found myself in a curious situation. I applied for financial aid via FAFSA through my school and, upon receiving an offer, decided to accept the full amount. Although the amount was more than I actually needed, I figured that I could use the extra money when next semester rolls around (or have money on hand, should an emergency occur; the worst case scenario is that I end up using this money to begin the repayment process).

    Anyhow, I just realized that the amount I owe to Sallie Mae from my undergraduate stint has finally been paid down to just under 8k ($7700 at 2.625% interest). It occurred to me that I could use the extra financial aid money, combined with a bit of my savings, to completely knock out the Sallie Mae loan. I realize that this move would simply mean all of my debt would be owned by the federal government, but part of me thinks that would be a more favorable situation (at least it would all be consolidated and potentially be eligible for some sort of forgiveness, should the government ever move in that direction). My current student debt total is approximately 35k and, from what I remember, the interest rate(s) for the federal loans are between 5-6%-- my servicer's website isn't loading, otherwise I'd have the actually numbers on hand... how convenient.

    Could anybody who is a bit more loan-debt-savvy weigh in on this potential move? Would it be advantageous to use this sum of money, which I normally would not have access to, to get out from under Sallie Mae's thumb, even if doing so doesn't necessarily change my financial situation?

    Thank you in advance for your insights!

    submitted by /u/nialleamonn
    [link] [comments]

    Can't find any loans for international study

    Posted: 08 Sep 2021 08:32 AM PDT

    So I'm currently a master's student at Yonsei University in Seoul, South Korea. I have had basically every financial set back happen that you can imagine, including the uni not awarding as much financial aid and grants they promised (they basically just gave me $1k when the tuition is $7k/sem alone). I am searching far and wide, but I can't find a single student loan that pays for US students abroad. I have Navient for my undergrad loans and they said no. Has anyone had any luck or has heard of any loans for US grad students abroad? If I don't find something, I'll end up having to drop out and it's only my second semester.

    submitted by /u/jetdarkstar
    [link] [comments]

    Private vs Federal Grad Loan

    Posted: 08 Sep 2021 07:27 AM PDT

    Hi All!

    I'm just looking for what your thoughts are on my situation.

    I'm currently enrolled in my second and final year of grad school -of which I took a private loan our for the first year. I'm emplyed full time in the military. With the year starting soon, I'm trying to decide on which is the best route forward for this years loan.

    Private - 3.8% fixed interest from the Bank Of North Dakota

    vs

    GRAD PLUS - 6.28% interest, eligible for PSLF if i stay in the military for an additional 10 years.

    While I think I may stay in for the extra 10 years, the near double interest rate scares me. Thoughts?

    submitted by /u/cobras89
    [link] [comments]

    Can I refinance only my high-interest student loans?

    Posted: 08 Sep 2021 06:28 AM PDT

    I have about $45k in federal student loans currently. Around ~35-40% of it has an interest rate of 6% while the rest is around 3-4%. Is it possible to refinance the 6% loans with a private company and would this be worth it?

    submitted by /u/elfwannabe
    [link] [comments]

    Are you still on the hook for your federal loans if you make under 30k a year gross?

    Posted: 08 Sep 2021 01:48 PM PDT

    I have a coworker who went to college. Graduated, and isn't paying back her loans. She keeps saying if I don't make enough then they can't make me pay the loan back? But once I reach a certain threshold then they can start charging me? I'm not sure on the validaty of her claims since I was always told you got a 6 month grace period then your on the hook. I go to school in alabama and I'm a senior graduating with a graphic design degree in December ( I am aware I'm living my life on hard mode with a major like that)

    submitted by /u/JoetheNoooob
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment