• Breaking News

    Monday, October 19, 2020

    Startups I dissolved partnership with my co-founder. He wants to build the same solution.

    Startups I dissolved partnership with my co-founder. He wants to build the same solution.


    I dissolved partnership with my co-founder. He wants to build the same solution.

    Posted: 18 Oct 2020 01:50 PM PDT

    So about few months ago, a guy came to me with an idea (social selling platform) and asked me to be the CTO and take care of the technical stuff. He's a non teche guy.

    I did not find it much intresting because there's already big players in that domain. Instead I had something else in mind. I wanted to digitize local shops and want to build an eco system for small and medium business. I pitched the idea to him. He liked it very much and asked me to be the CEO of this business because I envisioned it.

    So we finished the paper work. Since the beginning, I didn't feel like he's adding any value to the company. Because, I'm the one engineering the solution, doing ui/ux designing the product, taking care of branding, positioning the product, crafting a narrative for the market, setting the direction for the company.

    I gave him few tasks but he couldn't meet my expectations. 3/10. So I'd to redo the tasks for myself. All of our meetings go for 3 to 5 hours continuously and I feel so drained by the end of the meeting because I feel like I'm interacting with a manager. Lot of talk but no substantial contribution to the solution.

    So today I dissolved the partnership with him. Luckily we both haven't made any big investment into the company yet. When I told him my reasons to dissolve the partnership, instead of being understanding, he went defensive mode and started attacking me saying he doubt my leadership abilities, that I'm not business centric and don't know resource management, lacks emotional stability etc.

    It's ironic. I'm the one who's doing the heavy lifting. He comes up with obvious things and presents as grandiose things which I don't find valuable.

    He wants to go on and build the same solution. I don't have any problem with it. But my only concern is, I don't want him to use the solution spec and the user flows that I've drafted. Because I've designed them with great emphasis on user experience that the solution is SO SIMPLE to use.

    I want to preserve that user experience and flow for myself because I made it.

    Should I tell him not to use what I've made and come up with other user flow for his solution? Or should I let go of it?

    This is his 3rd time trying to build a business. His first two business were into consulting which he made when he was 19. But both of them were not successful. Now he's 26. He's still new to the startup world and lacks business maturity.

    I'm also 26. I've my own startup since 5 years and worked with several investors, advisors. He's got so much of exposure working with me. But he doesn't get that. The comments he made got under my skin and into my head. I tried to sort the personal comments he made but of no help. In return he questioned me, what I've done so far and has the nerve to say that he has contributed so much to the solution. I'm feeling like errrr.. he's scratched my ego.

    What should I do? Please advise.

    submitted by /u/bitchyangle
    [link] [comments]

    Should I ask for equity and if yes, how much?

    Posted: 18 Oct 2020 03:48 AM PDT

    I have an interview coming up for a company for an intermediate level position. It seems like there are only around 15 employees so far and they're advertising for 3 more.

    I can't see any information about funding on their angel .co page (only that they were founded in 2019) so it isn't clear whether they have received funding, if they're in the process or if it is being built with no external investors.

    The job description says no equity & 30-35k for the position I'm applying for. The two other roles (more senior positions) are being offered a salary and .5% - 1.5% equity.

    My question is: if it turns out that I'm a good fit, should I ask for equity and how do I/what questions should I ask to determine how much?

    note: I'm new to this sub. If I haven't put the correct flair, please let me know

    EDIT: I'm based in the UK

    submitted by /u/pickledpalmtree
    [link] [comments]

    Need Advice: Recently Started a Web Development Business

    Posted: 19 Oct 2020 12:12 AM PDT

    A few months ago, my friends and I started a web development company. We all know what we're doing and our prices are lower than most in our space. I just really need some advice on how to get clients. What strategies have you all used to get a flow of business/clients?

    submitted by /u/eraayy
    [link] [comments]

    So, we're mom testing an idea, and we're getting good responses and I'm getting referrals. I want to start talking to SF investors. Any tips?

    Posted: 18 Oct 2020 07:51 PM PDT

    My problem is: I want don't want to raise funds from my home country, I want SF money because they get growth better than my home country.

    Given that I don't know anyone, YC apps are over, and that we're still at idea stage but almost to the point of paid commitments, what do I do?

    submitted by /u/DrinkingSoup
    [link] [comments]

    Where to hire killer SDR?

    Posted: 18 Oct 2020 04:00 PM PDT

    We're looking to hire our first non-founding employee this month, specifically a killer sales team member. Where are the best places to find an early employee to join our startup online?

    I'm thinking LinkedIn is the best place to start, but would prefer a hiring marketplace if there are any you know of for early stage startups like mine which is launching (publicly) in November.

    I'd like someone who has worked at a company that did things right (Series A or above) for a few years and can implement some of those same tactics as my company grows in 2021.

    submitted by /u/abrod262000
    [link] [comments]

    How do you connect with coworkers within your remote-first startup?

    Posted: 18 Oct 2020 05:59 AM PDT

    Whether a company is in-person or remote-first, I believe that building culture, making employees feel like they belong, and building connections between employees are important.

    I know there are plenty of apps and tools for connecting people remotely in a synchronous manner - with the goal of replicating the water cooler chats or Friday happy hours.

    Those of you that work at companies with workforces distributed across many time zones - how do you develop meaningful connections with your coworkers?

    submitted by /u/AnotherTimJones
    [link] [comments]

    can I focus on more than one problem in a pitch deck?

    Posted: 18 Oct 2020 11:09 PM PDT

    Hi everyone!

    I am working on my problem and solution slides for a pitch deck that I am presenting to a panel of investors, advisors, and influencers later this week, and I am stuck whether it is okay if I can mention more than one prevalent problem within my customers.

    What I wish to do is talk about two big problems instead of one in the problem slide, and focus on the two different solutions that our startup revolves around to solve these problems. The great thing is that these solutions complement each other. I am just worried if it would be too much for my panel to take in. However, if I don't focus on one of the two problems, I can't focus on one of the two solutions and both are equally important to me.

    Would anyone know or have any advice on what I should do here?

    Thank you so much for reading this 😁

    submitted by /u/k_digee
    [link] [comments]

    What services do you try to do yourself in the beginning?

    Posted: 18 Oct 2020 08:29 PM PDT

    When you're just starting out, what do you cut out and why?

    I'm thinking along the lines of accounting, Human Resources, sales?

    Do you feel those are unnecessary?

    At what point are they necessary? What point would you pay an hourly rate for each of those?

    submitted by /u/Calecoop
    [link] [comments]

    Social Platform Music Licensing Costs

    Posted: 18 Oct 2020 11:34 AM PDT

    Hi All

    Hope everyone is good.

    I know this may be a long shot, but was wondering if anybody knew anything about the kind of music licensing agreements struck up between the major labels and music distributors and social platforms such as; Triller, Tiktok and most recently Snapchat, which allows these platforms to offer their users a big library of popular music for them to use in their videos.

    How are these agreements facilitated, what kind of cost do the platforms pay each year in licensing the catalogue(s) of music?

    How easy (or difficult) would it be for a new start-up to go about getting such agreements in place?

    submitted by /u/2020Corp
    [link] [comments]

    Retail Store Owners - How long did it take for your store to pick up and gain traction in your community? Marketing tips other than Facebook ads?

    Posted: 18 Oct 2020 03:51 PM PDT

    Hello all!

    I am an 18 Year Old entrepreneur and owner of a cell phone wholesale company. I have been wholesaling phones at a high level for a few years now(moving a few hundred phones a week), but have recently opened a retail store in a similar sector. My store is focused on exclusively buying phones from the general public, which then get processed and resold both wholesale and online.

    I have been open officially for about a month, but I am still running at extreme loss. I have spent about 1k marketing alone via Facebook ads, but have also spent close to 2k on construction in the store, and another 1k or so on systems and computers within the store itself.

    Things are definitely better now, and we are getting 2-3 customers a day, but it is nowhere near where I want things to be. I know it is still early, but how long did it take your store to pick up to a decent capacity? I have hired a part time employee, but I am working about 50 hours myself, while still running my wholesale business after hours (the real money maker) AND attending university online. I'm in a bit of a tough place right now haha, shed some light for me!

    If it helps, the store in the Bronx, NY, right off the Main Street.

    Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/phonesandcars
    [link] [comments]

    Joining a tiny startup, when/how to ask for equity?

    Posted: 18 Oct 2020 08:20 AM PDT

    Hi! i'm a student who recently got "hired" to build an app for a startup. It's stipend based and broken down into 3 phases for payments. I think the idea is pretty good and am excited for the project. The other two members of the startup have spent a lot of time on the market research aspect of it and have a pretty solid board of advisors. My question is, when/how/if I should ask for equity if the project is going well from my end. I think theres real potential here and wouldn't like to miss out on the long term opportunity. I'm sure they would keep me around if I did well on the app but still.

    submitted by /u/afneyman
    [link] [comments]

    Importing Frozen Food

    Posted: 18 Oct 2020 06:31 AM PDT

    Hi All,

    I've been scouring online and there doesn't seem to be a clear answer anywhere for trying to import frozen food. My family owns a pizza company in Canada and I've now moved over to the US. I'm trying to import frozen pizza from Canada to resell here in the US. Does anyone have insight of where to even start with something like this?

    Thank you so much everyone!

    submitted by /u/the_chianswer
    [link] [comments]

    C2C e-commerce site

    Posted: 18 Oct 2020 03:50 AM PDT

    I am planning to create a C2C platform (like Carousell) with a friend and we both are from web dev or tech grads.
    1) Is it better to work with a web designing firm or recruit a web UI/UX partner online and work on it?
    2) Which is more reliable and better for long run?
    3) As another option, could it be approach to a big firm in another country like Carousell for a partnership to implement in my country starting as small start-up as we do not want to recruit others at the moment?
    What is the best way to approach for partnership to implement in my country.
    I am still 9 to 5 working and my friend is totally free.

    submitted by /u/heinhtet5293
    [link] [comments]

    I need some help on market research!

    Posted: 18 Oct 2020 06:24 AM PDT

    Hey start-up community, hope you all are doing well :D! My question is simple. I need some help with market research... let me explain first, I'm interested in starting an ecommerce store aimed at a particular niche (NOT like Amazon, for example)... The thing is I know very little about market research... That's where I need help! Do you guys have any tips or tricks you use to do the same? I'd love to read your opinions :)

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/GalynMusic
    [link] [comments]

    I need advise..

    Posted: 18 Oct 2020 05:18 AM PDT

    Guys, im very struggling right now. I only have around $200 in my bank account.

    I want to make an auction application specific to the sale of pets such as koi fish. where in this pandemic condition sales about hobbies are very salable.

    to make it I will ask my friend to help me or find a freelance worker.

    very difficult to find a job for me. (for a reason)

    Please advise !!

    I use google translate. Sorry..

    submitted by /u/hadiningrat
    [link] [comments]

    Startups.. I don’t know what to do (23)

    Posted: 18 Oct 2020 05:06 AM PDT

    I'm 23 now and I started a masters to get some backing as a fall back. What would you guys advise at my age would be a good start up? I'm not keen on the drop shipping or stock market things. The income is far too variable.

    Ideally something that I could make work during a pandemic as silly as it sounds. I've looked into franchises but I know that's also risky.

    The idea of a business from home would be cool

    What could I do?

    submitted by /u/Nice_Cauliflower_507
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment