• Breaking News

    Tuesday, October 6, 2020

    Sales has taught me that someone is ALWAYS trying to sell you something. Sales and Selling

    Sales has taught me that someone is ALWAYS trying to sell you something. Sales and Selling


    Sales has taught me that someone is ALWAYS trying to sell you something.

    Posted: 06 Oct 2020 09:48 AM PDT

    Whether it's a belief, some information, safety products, fantasies, etc. you are always being sold something. Just because they aren't asking for money directly, they are selling you on the good they are doing. You are sold information at a very young age via school books. They are selling you their version of history through books at a young age.

    They are selling you education. You are always being sold something. The media is selling you stories. Politicians are selling you beliefs. Doctors are selling you medicines.

    Once you realize this, the better off you will be.

    submitted by /u/A_solo_tripper
    [link] [comments]

    Reasons why sales sucks as a career

    Posted: 05 Oct 2020 10:41 PM PDT

    • So much of your success is dependent on luck, territory, timing, market, lead allocation etc. Don't get me wrong, talent and work ethic definitely have an impact but even still so much is out of your control. I have seen very mediocre sales people crush it and talented sales people struggle for these reasons.
    • Constant pressure of hitting numbers. Sales is the most measurable profession out there in terms of KPIs. Many companies have weekly, monthly, quarterly targets etc which can be very stressful and make you hate your life if you keep missing them. In addition, these targets can be unrealistic and unjustified but management doesn't care.
    • Job instability - one second you feel like a king blowing your targets out of the water, next second you miss a quarter and you're cut (exaggeration but you get the drift).
    • Constant rejection - getting told no dozens of times a day can mess with your head.
    • Bad public perception - a lot of people hate sales people

    I know I sound like a negative nancy. A lot of people on here talk about all the great things about a sales career, so I just wanted to shed some light on some of the negative aspects of the profession. It can be an incredibly rewarding profession with a lot of income potential, but I feel that to get to that stage you need to be pretty lucky.

    Let the downvotes commence.

    submitted by /u/horowitz_bernstein
    [link] [comments]

    I think I've found my calling

    Posted: 06 Oct 2020 07:53 AM PDT

    I hope you guys will allow one to humble brag here for just a second.

    I started my first SaaS sales position ever about two years ago, after two pretty unsuccessful years in content marketing.

    The first few weeks were fucking horrible. I was so stressed on the first day that I had to puke when I came home, and I'm generally a very calm, relaxed person.

    But I just had one of my monthly 1on1s with my manager and he showed me my performance since I joined. I knew I was doing really well but not to this degree.

    I've brought in double the revenue of the next best-performing rep in our region (40+ AEs) over the past two years, and in the month of August, which is peak season for us, I brought in 3 times as much as the second best person.

    A lot of it is up to luck: my territory, my leads, the timing, etc. But given this trend has been unfolding over the past two years, and given how much I love grinding, I think I've found my calling at least for now.

    Just wanted to share the sheer happiness with you guys. I've been lurking this sub for a couple of months and have been really enjoying it. Thanks guys!

    submitted by /u/issavibeyuh
    [link] [comments]

    How are your commissions paid?

    Posted: 06 Oct 2020 08:02 AM PDT

    I've worked for a construction type company for several years and am generally happy. I have a lot of autonomy in my day to day and I always exceed budget by miles.

    Jobs are either paid in full or have a 3 payment schedule.

    When I started, it was that I get paid in full once the deposit is received.

    Then they changed it to I am paid once the job I paid in full. Sometimes this can take 6-12 months. I was very unhappy which this change because it DRASTICALLY changed my income for that year. I suggested that once a check is received, I am paid the equal % commission. For example, if the deposit is received and the deposit is 50%, I should be paid 50% of my commission. This presented an accounting challenge, but, NOT MY PROBLEM, PAY ME. This, to me, is fairest way to do it.

    Last year, it was changed back to being paid once the job I paid in full. Again, this is not working for me. I've exceeded my budget for the year but have on the books only made 1/2 of those commissions.

    How do you get paid? And does current setup seem normal, or am I being unreasonable? Any sales job I've been paid for what money came in as it came in. And any friends I have in sales are paid incrementally as well.

    submitted by /u/finelineeight
    [link] [comments]

    Got told off by B2B prospect for following up too much - how can I fix it?

    Posted: 06 Oct 2020 09:06 AM PDT

    I'm in an unfamiliar situation. I set up/broker strategic alliances for startups for a living. In the first week of September I had cold emailed a company in the travel space that has an app with 100 million users.

    The company is based in Britain.

    The head of their global brand partnerships sent me a reply a few days later saying she loved the idea and wanted to set up a call. That was on September 9. On 9/14 she sent me an email saying that she discussed it internally and wanted more basic info so I sent it.

    On 9/16 I sent a reply just following up. The mistake I made was the next day I was going through my inbox and replied again not remembering that I also sent an email the day before.

    I got a very pointed reply from her that basically said that I was not a priority and that she had no answer (which confused me because she is the decision maker and the call was supposed to be with her). She said she'd her back to me when and if she knew something.

    I'm really not sure how to revive this. Any suggestions?

    submitted by /u/thesonofnarcs
    [link] [comments]

    Best resources for Sales & Marketing for B2B SaaS?

    Posted: 06 Oct 2020 04:53 AM PDT

    Hello all!

    We developed 3 SaaS products (mobile apps for different purposes) and already have some customers (from old business and friends). We will be hiring some people for sales & marketing, but we would like to get a good overview of all the processes and how it works for B2B Saas. We're also pretty much interested in the processes and would like to try some of those before the hiring process.

    Do you know any good resources, that we could use to learn more and maybe also some case studies/use cases?

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/jahswah
    [link] [comments]

    Sales intelligence for retailers

    Posted: 06 Oct 2020 12:15 PM PDT

    Hello everyone, long time lurker here! I'm looking for budget solution ideally for global market but would be definitely focus on larger markets as Usa,Aus and etc. Would love Japan and Korea if any have expirence in these markets.

    Currently looking in to Signalhire and SalesIntel. Sales intel is also really over the budget..

    Happy leads hunting!

    submitted by /u/Ljaxe
    [link] [comments]

    Interview Sales Role-play

    Posted: 06 Oct 2020 08:07 AM PDT

    Howdy,
    I am a college student just finishing up my degree online this semester. I am determined to find myself in a B2B sales role in the near future and have been interviewing with a lot of companies that have some pretty extensive training programs.

    I have had four first round interviews and made it into the second round for two of them, but I have yet to have a recruiter/interviewer go through a role-play scenario. Tomorrow I have a first round interview that includes a role play situation.

    Is there any advice/tips out there? How do I make sure that I demonstrate what they're looking for. I have had sales experience and interviews in the past, so should I draw from that and "sell" a product to the interviewer that I have before or would it be best to sell their product to them?

    Thanks in advance,

    A very confident/nervous wannabe sales professional

    submitted by /u/cmacxxx508
    [link] [comments]

    Advice on dealing with self-sufficient clients?

    Posted: 06 Oct 2020 08:05 AM PDT

    Wondering what people's advice would be on this. We work with automotive dealerships, specifically products that are sold in the business office. Due to COVID, travelling to many different dealerships has significantly slowed down (typically we are in our client list's dealerships 1-2 times a month).

    I have been following up with, connecting with and maintaining relationships fairly well virtually and over the phone with my clients. That being said, I have one dealership that is absolutely killing it, product sales are through the roof which is awesome for both of us but I feel like I have zero relationship with them and can't provide any value to them remotely.

    I've offered refresher training for product knowledge (to which he has responded "clearly I am good"), conversations feel very one sided and very few of my check in emails even get responded to. Granted this guy really knows his stuff but I genuinely want to be of further help to them. He is quite literally the best version of this position he could be and he does well selling our product...and he knows it.

    They have never had an issue with the product, any of our staff or anything like that, I just feel like there is a disconnect and I'd hate to lose this client because the "sales life" in me says client/customer relationships are incredibly important in the world of sales. What do I do? Am I over thinking or should I just keep sending them monthly emails letting them know I'm available at any time should they need me?

    TL:DR; We work remotely with clients due to COVID, the client is selling more of our product than ever but it feels like our personal connection/relationship is gone due to not being able to visit them. Any reason for concern?

    submitted by /u/nafnasty
    [link] [comments]

    CPA looking to break into professional sales

    Posted: 06 Oct 2020 11:07 AM PDT

    Afternoon!

    I am a CPA and have been working as an auditor in public accounting for about two years. I was never really in love with the job, but now we are work from home and I am completely over it. I realize the piece that kept me coming back was basically just the social aspect of working with people, but all I am left with at home is the work.

    This year, my firm eliminated merit salary increases. So, no matter how well people performed, they did not see any differentiation in performance reflected in their compensation update. This has really got me down and is the main reason I have been searching around -- I want to work somewhere that I can be recognized for high performance.

    After some reflection and conversations with friends of mine who are in all sorts of positions, I would be a great candidate for professional sales. I believe I would do better with something more B2B, more technical, longer sales cycle, and customer relationships which last longer than the sale itself.

    I live in the the piedmont of NC but am willing to relocate if the opportunity is exceptional.

    More often that not, I have seen friends in sales roles get relatively unlucky; they were really "sold" the role. Alternatively, other friends of mine are in sales roles and doing really well. I'd like to think this is not just luck of the draw and can be vetted.

    TL;DR: CPA looking to get into sales. Seeking a solid role with real earning potential. I have a ton of transferrable professional skills and proficiencies and am confident I will outperform. I would like to be in my new role by January 2021.

    Is anyone willing to share some advice as far as what to look for and where to start?

    submitted by /u/INAPICTTAA
    [link] [comments]

    Help with Sales issue

    Posted: 06 Oct 2020 11:06 AM PDT

    Hey guys , so ive not hit my target recently and have been told if this keeps I wont be keeping my job ( super okay with this and understnad) my question is I dont think ill be able to hit it moving forward and dont want the awkkwardness but also dont want to quit because I wont qualify for aid. whats the apporach I should take here? Been wityh company for 1 and a bit years.

    submitted by /u/younggodless
    [link] [comments]

    How do I talk about expectations with clients?

    Posted: 06 Oct 2020 07:18 AM PDT

    Hey Redditors!

    Here's a bit of context:

    I work in digital marketing selling websites, SEO, SEM, etc.

    I have a client whom I am running a Googlr Ads campaign for.

    It's been running since October 1st at a monthly budget of $210 and here is what their goals are:

    • The clients goal is to maximize clicks to their landing page (which we built)
    • they want to maximize conversions for less generation which we don't control

    It's been six days into their campaign and we have generated 4 leads with a CTR of ~5%

    The client started complaining about not getting enough leads after 1 day (lmao)

    I don't know what to say because this stuff takes time.

    I'm thinking of

    A) giving them a refund B) talk about expectations of ads (it's not a magic bullet) C) and then giving them a refund if their expectations are still unrealistic

    What would you do?

    submitted by /u/Yeungc
    [link] [comments]

    Sales and being a human

    Posted: 06 Oct 2020 07:11 AM PDT

    Does anyone else feel in order to be a great salesman you have to give 0 fucks at all what people say and care, eventually your job is to make the sale, obviously you empathize with them and feel the emotion but eventually you ignore it and keep on pushing cause you need to sell.

    Maybe it's just my ego of the moment that goes up, and then I relax and feel fine again, I really don't know sometimes.. tell me what you think?

    How do you feel about making small lies to get the sale? If it was my company and my product I wouldn't lie at all for money, because I would deliver a good product that doesn't require lying, but where I work there are lying going on, I sell online courses, and some reps lie, about the salaries after it, not too much or too harsh but there are definite small lies, to me personally it bothers, I don't believe I need to lie to sell.

    Would love to hear your thoughts :)

    submitted by /u/dinamit445
    [link] [comments]

    Won the sale - but the solution failed. Feeling defeated/unmotivated.

    Posted: 06 Oct 2020 10:45 AM PDT

    Within the last year, I took a new job within a new industry. We are a technical industry leading supplier to a variety of different markets - and we develop solutions for their production process.

    The sales cycle is often long: 3-12 months depending on the opportunity, but the payoff is usually big. The sales cycle usually goes: intro, discovery, lab testing, analysis, solution proposal, trial, full implementation. We pride ourselves in being the best quality supplier, but that means we are typically at a higher price point than most. If we can get a client to agree to a trial, the sale is usually in the bag as our product speaks for itself with the value to the customer.

    I just landed a big trial and was extremely excited as this sale could make my year. I just heard from the customer today that our product is failing in their process, and they are getting worse performance, and they are going to likely have to uninstall it. They are open to another trial, because it's has been months and months in the works, but I am extremely disappointed and feeling completely unmotivated.

    This is my first sale where the results have been negative. Typically our response is overwhelmingly positive. The hard barrier is usually our cost. Feeling unmotivated to sell when I can do everything "right" and still the product (which I have no control over) can fail and I can lose the sale. After months of work.

    Anyone else been in a similar situation where you won the sale by the solution you proposed didn't work as you planned? How did you respond/bounce back?

    submitted by /u/anonsalez
    [link] [comments]

    Salary of 2500 EUR p/m good for a beginning business developer role?

    Posted: 06 Oct 2020 06:31 AM PDT

    I'll start my first job as a business developer role soon with no past sales experience (22 yrs old). I am really excited for the job, but I am curious to know whether the salary of 2500 EUR p/m (gross) is good or a bit on the lower end for someone with my age and work experience. I have had other office jobs before, but they weren't in the sales field.

    I'd love to hear from you guys on the matter. All info is welcome, from personal experiences/anecdotes to useful data that I haven't stumbled on. I find it pretty hard to compare the salaries, due to the varying function descriptions and the required work experience. Maybe some other useful info to have this question answered: It's a job in Western Europe (The Netherlands) and I have finished a BSc in Operations Research (which is a mathematical degree).

    Edit: Next to the monthly salary I can get a commission as well, which is a low percentage of the targets when I succeed in getting them. However, due to the uncertainty of this I just look at the monthly salary

    submitted by /u/xblaster2000
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone sell software to the US federal government?

    Posted: 06 Oct 2020 09:56 AM PDT

    I would love to chat offline. I'm a little overwhelmed and not getting the support I need from my company.

    submitted by /u/dafriendlyginge
    [link] [comments]

    Looking to get my start in sales

    Posted: 06 Oct 2020 09:53 AM PDT

    Hey all. I'm 27 years old and have been working in the marketing department of a manufacturer in Washington State for 5 years now. I have been thinking about switching career paths and making the leap into sales for a little over a year, and I'm finally starting to put myself out there.

    The last couple months I've applied to a bunch of different job listings on Craigslist and Glassdoor, and last Thursday I started reaching out to recruiters on LinkedIn. I've had a couple interviews and found 2 recruiters that seem like they may be able to help me, but nothing concrete so far.

    I don't have any formal sales experience at this point, but I'm almost done with Jordan Belfort's Straight Line Persuasion course and I have experience from my own entrepreneurial ventures. I've started 2 ecommerce businesses over the last 2 years which have generated a chunk of sales calls and conversations for my products, but the most experience I have is from a digital marketing business I started a couple months ago. I've done a ton of prospecting and appointment setting for it, and I've gotten to the point where I'm taking 4-5+ sales calls per week.

    The reason I'm saying all this is because I am hoping to get into SaaS sales as an SDR/BDR, but I don't want to make the jump unless it's at least a lateral move. I make $63,500 right now and my wife is at $17/hr., so if I start a job where there's a possibility I'll only make $50-$60K, it would be tough to make ends meet.

    Is it reasonable to want something with a base of $55-$60K with my level of experience? From what I've seen that is on the higher end for entry level but the recruiter I talked to said $70-90K OTE is pretty typical in my area. I just worry that if the base is $40K or potentially even $50K that money will be really tight for a while until I get my footing.

    Also, is there another route I should take to get interviews? Reach out to people on LinkedIn? What titles should I look for when contacting people?

    submitted by /u/rphils6
    [link] [comments]

    Insurance sales feedback

    Posted: 06 Oct 2020 05:58 AM PDT

    Hello folks,

    I recently obtained my license to sell insurance in Pennsylvania. My company promised us to pay us incentives for doing this and monthly bonuses after we start selling however, this was all a lie they feel that because they paid to get us licensed I guess they are going to low ball us and only pay us an hourly rate and thats it.

    Anyways I now have the license and decided to come to the reddit community for advise. Is there any other license that I can combine with this to make me more attractive to employers? What companies do you recommend me to look into for someone without experience like me that pays decent? How to identify the companies that invest in good leads etc...

    I guess I am looking for insight in the industry and some advise since I surely want to leave this company as soon as possible because of their lies and how they are using us.

    submitted by /u/aabaezv
    [link] [comments]

    Is there a book or resource which would guide me on how to 'find what to sell online'. Read description

    Posted: 06 Oct 2020 01:27 AM PDT

    I want to know how can i find what kind of products are getting a lot of searches on google and other places . For example what kind of things people are really searching for and are not available so i could create it or sell it. Is there a detailed book which teaches you how to find such things on various platforms and how to find what to sell

    submitted by /u/jjohaann
    [link] [comments]

    Moving from Finance B2C to B2B Sales

    Posted: 06 Oct 2020 07:50 AM PDT

    I have worked as an Insurance Agent for quite some time and am now a very sales focused Investment Advisor. My goal is to eventually wholesale to Advisors. How difficult is it to move from being an advisor to selling to them in an external B2B capacity? Is it wiser to stay as an Advisor and try to move to external wholesaling in a year or two, or should I take a pay cutt and try to get an Internal Wholesaler position now?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Zenovelli
    [link] [comments]

    How are your commissions paid?

    Posted: 06 Oct 2020 06:55 AM PDT

    I've worked for a construction type company for several years and am generally happy. I have a lot of autonomy in my day to day and I always exceed budget by miles.

    Jobs are either paid in full or have a 3 payment schedule.

    When I started, it was that I get paid in full once the deposit is received.

    Then they changed it to I am paid once the job I paid in full. Sometimes this can take 6-12 months. I was very unhappy which this change because it DRASTICALLY changed my income for that year. I suggested that once a check is received, I am paid the equal % commission. For example, if the deposit is received and the deposit is 50%, I should be paid 50% of my commission. This presented an accounting challenge, but, NOT MY PROBLEM, PAY ME. This, to me, is fairest way to do it.

    Last year, it was changed back to being paid once the job I paid in full. Again, this is not working for me. I've exceeded my budget for the year but have on the books only made 1/2 of those commissions.

    How do you get paid? And does current setup seem normal, or am I being unreasonable? Any sales job I've been paid for what money came in as it came in. And any friends I have in sales are paid incrementally as well.

    submitted by /u/finelineeight
    [link] [comments]

    Set up meeting with boss, but he canceled morning of. Should I still follow through or postpone meeting?

    Posted: 06 Oct 2020 05:55 AM PDT

    My boss and I had set up a lunch with this prospect before, and my boss couldn't make it last time. I decided to still drive 3 hours and meet with her because it wouldve been unfair if I didn't and I like to abide by what I say I'd do in a professional manner, so I met with her by myself.

    Today we had another meeting with this prospect scheduled and my boss texted me this morning he can't go. Should I keep this meeting on as well and drive the three hours to meet them or just postpone the meeting and agree to still have food delivered to the prospect? I believe the prospect wanted to meet my boss as well since she didn't get to last time.

    submitted by /u/615huncho615
    [link] [comments]

    Do you feel you truly deserve the money you make?

    Posted: 05 Oct 2020 04:13 PM PDT

    As someone considering transitioning into technical sales and out of curiosity, how many here actually think their compensation is worth their value to the company? I am talking for higher level technical sales where salary + company car + gas card + free meals + travel can easily surpass 6 figures well before 30 years old.

    I say this as someone who has worked in the science/project management field. I see the sales people in our company getting paid triple what those who are actually innovating the product and working 60-80 weeks regularly. I am close friends with many successful technical salespeople in a variety of industries and know for a fact they do not work as hard as others I know in technical and managerial positions. And of course I understand the need for sales, building relationships, and effectively converting potential clients. But the different in lifestyle and compensation seems a bit much to me (hence why I'd like to transition into it)

    submitted by /u/idoran
    [link] [comments]

    B2B Telecommunications referrals

    Posted: 06 Oct 2020 12:53 AM PDT

    I'm going to try asking for referrals from my existing client base for the first time next week.

    We're a major telecom and mainly sell hosted PBX, mobile fleet and dedicated fibre.

    Any suggestions on how I should approach this for the first time, some of these clients are regulars so I don't want to look like an idiot.

    submitted by /u/trumpetbrother1091
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment