• Breaking News

    Wednesday, October 14, 2020

    SaaS vs Commercial Real Estate Sales and Selling

    SaaS vs Commercial Real Estate Sales and Selling


    SaaS vs Commercial Real Estate

    Posted: 14 Oct 2020 07:38 AM PDT

    I've recently graduated with a degree in finance and after deciding to pivot to a career in sales, have been met with two options.

    Option 1: BDR at a SaaS startup, OTE of $90K. Location NYC

    Option 2: Analyst at a commercial real estate firm, start at around $55k, but then move into a commission based role once i become an actual broker. Solid market (think Dallas, Houston).

    What are r/sales thoughts on these two industries, both offer tremendous upside but I am curious what will provide the better opportunities goes forward.

    submitted by /u/samuraisquidward
    [link] [comments]

    A Guide To Picking The Right Company As A Salesperson [Startups]

    Posted: 14 Oct 2020 09:47 AM PDT

    A quick bit about me: I've been recruiting for sales teams in the startup space for several years now, both as an internal recruiter and on the agency side. I've recruited everything from VPs, to AEs, to SDRs and virtually every other sales role in existence, working with companies in B2B (cybersecurity, infrastructure, platform, etc.) and B2B (mobile, gaming, ad-tech, etc.).

    To provide some further context for this post, I have decided I will be launching a career coaching business, laser-focused on helping folks get into tech/software in sales, marketing and GTM roles. The business will provide white-glove service on career strategy, interview training, resume building, LinkedIn strategy, networking, salary negotiation, etc.

    With that in mind, I wanted to share some prelmimarny content I've been creating around getting into tech/startups/SaaS and specifically, how to evaluate the quality of potential opportunities. If you have any feedback on the content below, I'd love to hear it (yay, market research!).

    What's listed below is not exhaustive by any means, but it should give you a few key data points to consider when choosing a new company. With that said, here's a quick list:

    Product-led company: you should look for companies that are product-led. Very often, they have engineers as founders and have a strong engineering culture.

    This means that the PRODUCT is what drives the growth of the company. Success is driven by a true need for the product in the marketplace - - NOT by a sexy, expensive marketing strategy. An obvious example of a company driven by "marketing fluff" would be WeWork. We all know how that worked out.

    Plain and simple, product-led companies tend to grow faster and have more staying-power in the long run.

    Technology: should be easy to use, frictionless. Should integrate into whatever technology already exists. A very simple example: does the Hulu app integrate with iOS and Android? (Yes). Does Slack need a bunch of fancy integrations and tutorials for new users to jump in and start conversations? (No).

    Ideally not a brand-new technology - look for the next iteration of what's already worked. While it sounds sexy to join an organization that "is the first to ever do it!" very often those companies never actually get off the ground. Many companies succeed because they've looked at other organizations that have laid the groundwork and said, "How can we do this, but better?" Generally speaking, when analyzing risk/reward, it's better to be a settler than a pioneer.

    Right investors/VCs: this is obviously more specific to the startup space. The company should be backed by one of the top 5-8 VCs in the market (for example, a16z, Index, Sequoia, etc.). Ideally they are backed by multiple of the top 5-8. At this point, the reputable VCs are so good at what they do that they very rarely "miss" on their investments. If you get multiple of the big names in the mix, the possibility of failing goes down even further.

    The startup world can tend to be a bit of a popularity contest when it comes to VCs, and for good reason. Being backed by reputable VCs provides instant credibility and is HUGE when the organization is trying to recruit top talent in the marketplace. Very often, VCs will help broker conversations between the startup and all-star players in the space.

    Winning team: to put it simply, you want to join a team of winners. Go on LinkedIn and look at the background of everyone on their executive team (C-level, VP-level). Where did they come from? What kinds of teams did they lead? Are they a thought-leader in their space, sharing valuable content on blogs, podcasts, etc? Did their previous companies scale and/or exit?

    Research the company's core competitors. Ideally, you'd see their key leadership hires coming from those competitors. Personally, I'm extremely interested in 1) VP of Sales and 2) VP of Product and their background. Having somebody who understands the selling motion, buyer persona, other players in the space, etc. is a huge piece of the puzzle for the person responsible for driving all the revenue (plus, we're in sales subreddit, so I assume you're interested in the VP of Sales). Additionally, a VP of Product that comes from a direct competitor is going to have the most direct impact on the organization's ability to be product-led (see the first bullet point in this post!).

    Now, recruiting leaders from direct competitors is NOT the only way to evaluate whether you have a "winning team." Oftentimes first-time founders and more junior executive teams might not have the senior-level pedigree, but can still have evidence of a winning attitude.

    What's the story of the founders? Did they immigrate to America and sleep on park benches (true story of a past client of mine) in order to get their dream off the ground? Winner. Is their sales team full of competitive athletes, folks with military backgrounds, etc? Winner. Is their team generally a positive, high-energy, can-do type of team? Winners.

    Social proof: Glassdoor isn't everything, but it is a valid datapoint. What do their reviews look like? Dig through all the reviews and see if you can find a theme. Also important: oftentimes you'll see multiple folks mention that the leadership of the company coerced employees to leave positive reviews…this DOES happen and it's a red flag if you see it multiple times.

    In addition to Glassdoor, what else exists about them online? Are they getting PR from TechCrunch? Are they on the Forbes Cloud 100 list? Are they in Gartner's Magic Quadrant? Stay off the Blind app, as that place is a cesspool.

    There's obviously much more you can do to vet an organization, but that's a quick list, folks! Would love to know your thoughts.

    submitted by /u/jayfhoward1
    [link] [comments]

    Is / was Donald Trump really a good salesman or just good at branding himself as a "lifestyle"

    Posted: 14 Oct 2020 06:00 AM PDT

    All politics aside. Was he a good salesman or only good at market himself as a luxury icon?

    submitted by /u/Trainer_Red99
    [link] [comments]

    You know what I despise?

    Posted: 14 Oct 2020 09:22 AM PDT

    I absolutely hate with a passion reps who never make calls or pursue customers in different avenue get all the new biz from managers! You grind and make calls daily visiting new business wondering what's wrong "what am I doing wrong" but the worst salesperson you've ever met is closing 100-200k orders because the boss has closed them himself! It's even worse when your office only has 10 reps. I hate the best friend boss combo. Before anyone says your not closing etc I've closed 2.7million this year with a 700k GP margin. Which is a lot for my industry.

    submitted by /u/mgee1234321
    [link] [comments]

    Prospect agreeing to a meeting out of “pity”?

    Posted: 13 Oct 2020 07:00 PM PDT

    New BDR here. I set a meeting with a prospect through a cold call and she seemed pretty uninterested, but eventually agreed to a demo call with my AE and said the soonest she could do it was a month from now. I'm worried she just agreed to this demo out of "pity" or just to "get me off her back" and won't show up to the demo or will ghost me. Has anyone experienced this or am I being paranoid as a new BDR?

    submitted by /u/Spiritual_Knee_5442
    [link] [comments]

    What to do during worse times?

    Posted: 14 Oct 2020 08:51 AM PDT

    So I landed a new job and in the first and second month I was doing great, I was better than people working there for a couple months (not the best, but I was in top 10% of people). Now it's my 3rd month and I'm doing really shitty. I can see dissapointent from the managment because they thought I'm gonna be even better after gaining some experience and It's really stressing me out.

    Meanwhile other people who had bad start are getting better and better.

    It's my first sales job so I don't know what to do.

    submitted by /u/NavyBlueCrow
    [link] [comments]

    Headphones with a mouthpiece

    Posted: 14 Oct 2020 04:21 AM PDT

    Please recommend some noise-cancelling headphones with a mouthpiece that I can use to call clients without sounding like I'm in a cave. Needs to be Mac compatible. Bluetooth would be ideal.

    What?

    submitted by /u/YesJ3ssica
    [link] [comments]

    Commissions paid after selling my salary?

    Posted: 14 Oct 2020 08:32 AM PDT

    Hello,

    The compensation plan at a company I'm applying to calls for commissions to be paid only after my sales exceed my salary in a calendar year.

    meaning, i get no commissions until i sell over $80k. once i sell $80k or more, they then backpay my commissions.

    this resets every year.

    Is this common practice or strange in your experience, it seems concerning.

    submitted by /u/HoneyBadger08
    [link] [comments]

    What's selling well in tech now?

    Posted: 14 Oct 2020 08:23 AM PDT

    Hi all, I currently work as an account manager at a SaaS company and have been very successful this year. I do new business and add on sales with a small amount of renewals responsibility. I feel my company are losing competitiveness and our support has jeopardized some major add on deals for me.

    I am considering a change after almost 3 years here and I was wondering what are companies still spending money on at the moment in terms of software? Thanks

    submitted by /u/manbearjoepig
    [link] [comments]

    Selling mental health initiatives?

    Posted: 14 Oct 2020 03:06 AM PDT

    Hi all,

    I've just started a role for a digital therapy platform where I'll be tasked with selling companies on providing their employees with support from clinical psychologists. I'm assuming I'll be dealing with a lot of HR managers/directors. Would be grateful for anybody who has any experience or advice they could offer.

    submitted by /u/dont_do_that_skip
    [link] [comments]

    Life insurance selling tips

    Posted: 14 Oct 2020 05:40 AM PDT

    Hi,

    I am selling insurance as my secondary income and in my country buying life insurance is not something that is common. What are the different strategies to get clients who are willing to pay life insurance?

    submitted by /u/hydraulics010
    [link] [comments]

    Interviewing Outside Sales Reps

    Posted: 14 Oct 2020 11:10 AM PDT

    Hello,

    I'm a student at Texas A&M completing a capstone project regarding the effect that COVID-19 has had on the outside sales role. Would anyone in the outside sales role position be willing to answer a few (6-8) questions regarding how interpersonal relationship building has been affected by the switch to virtual?

    This could really help me out for my project. Please DM me if this is something you would be willing to participate in, it should only take 15-20 minutes of your time.

    submitted by /u/ISungOnce
    [link] [comments]

    My little sister just started her first sales job. Don’t be like her manager.

    Posted: 14 Oct 2020 11:09 AM PDT

    The manager at a cell phone store front instructed my sister to charge everyone for a SIM card which should be free.

    "Charge $15 or more. If they notice and complain, take it off".

    Let's be professional. Don't pull this shit. Shut it down when you see this behavior.

    submitted by /u/KevinsOnTilt
    [link] [comments]

    Facebook ad account got suspended. My business heavily relies on leads coming directly through Facebook and FB/IG brand building. What other platforms can we source B2C leads in Canada?

    Posted: 14 Oct 2020 10:56 AM PDT

    Our organic lead conversion is heavily tied to FB ad performance so we saw a 50% drop in leads over night. We have a very short B2C sales cycle <7days so a dip like this really hurts our funnel.

    Suggestions? Has anyone gotten else had the business account restricted?

    submitted by /u/Sleep__
    [link] [comments]

    Any hints to cooperate with deliberately "closed" prospect?

    Posted: 14 Oct 2020 06:57 AM PDT

    Hi everybody. I am working in a big sales company. We sell and integrate IT products (Microsoft, Autodesk, Oracle, etc). Recently, we have realized that 3 prospects (big companies, over 100 employers) appeared in our city with whom we can work as an integrator of it services. I know for sure that they have a large consumption of IT services. I have been trying to start working with them for about 6 months, but I have not received any response. I have tried:

    1. Cold Calling (gatekeeper only direct me on info@xxxx.com)
    2. Write e-mails, invite them to the events considering their field
    3. Guess the e-mails of the IT director / procurement department and write there, but all my attempts were in vain.

    I need advice. What are the hints / lifehacks you've got when the customer is completely closed from the sellers?

    submitted by /u/Apyonok
    [link] [comments]

    Sales to enterprise as a startup with only MVP V1.0? How to get to yes?

    Posted: 14 Oct 2020 10:06 AM PDT

    Hi,

    We recently got our MVP off the ground, but the companies that we had been in discussions with while we were building it out are slowly making their way towards the purchase decision. One thing I have learned about myself in this is that I am not a great seller. 1) What suggestions would you give for someone in my boat? Honestly, I have tried reaching out through LinkedIn, but am not getting a lot of success. 2) how do you even find the contact info for decision makers and get on their calendar? I'm considering hiring a contract salesperson, good/bad idea?

    We offer a solid referral program and cash awards if a referral makes the purchase, so in addition to an hourly wage as a contractor a healthy commission would also be available as compensation.

    Here is our site and our MVP and a demo can be accessed through it.

    submitted by /u/ringdingjinglejangle
    [link] [comments]

    Those of you in B2B sales - How to you stay patient and stay the course on big deals?

    Posted: 13 Oct 2020 05:29 PM PDT

    I know that this is kind of an odd question.

    I've been focusing on selling/brokering partnerships and strategic alliances with billion dollar companies for a company I joined in August.

    I was in the local marketing agency space for 3 years selling to small businesses - dentists, restaurants, roofers, etc. where deals get done relatively quickly (one or two calls)

    I've always had ADD and am the kind of person who will go all out and charge head on into something but after a while gets bored easily.

    I've been at this for 7 weeks. I've had no issues getting my foot in the door and getting meetings with billion dollar companies.

    In the last month alone I've had calls with 7 multi billion dollar companies.

    I have one deal in the works and am having conversations with four of them.

    I'm just having trouble mentally with the speed/pace of things.

    For those of you that sell to or have sold to big companies - how do you do it?

    submitted by /u/thesonofnarcs
    [link] [comments]

    Reapplying for a Job That I Declined

    Posted: 14 Oct 2020 09:21 AM PDT

    So back in May I had 2 job offers, both were SaaS companies and were almost identical in terms of company size and opportunities etc.

    Company A gave the first offer, great company, the contract was ready to sign. I had led them on to believe that I will begin the following week only to decline the offer last minute for company B

    Company B came in with the exact same offer EXCEPT it had a higher-paying commission and was closer to home.

    I chose company B and have had regrets. There have been some lay-offs, the quota number wasn't all that honest (another story) and I am not actually happy with a few other things.

    Company A has re-advertised the job, should I apply for it again?

    submitted by /u/Heads_Down_Thumbs_Up
    [link] [comments]

    How's the market in Canada for Tech/Software Sales jobs?

    Posted: 13 Oct 2020 06:26 PM PDT

    Title's pretty self explanatory. I'm a Salesperson for a multi-national company in Sydney Australia who's keen to move internationally for some global experience/exposure so that I can do an MBA and become a sales-director in AUS or elsewhere someday (Don't worry I've already learnt how to say "what's cooking this week" to people).

    I've visited the US a few times and while I love the country, I don't like the thought of living there for 3-5 years, despite working for american companies my whole career.

    I was thinking about moving to Canada as it has a similar culture to AUS and good access to the US market and what I speculate will be more technology sales jobs than here in Australia.

    I'm not sure if I'm right or wrong, but I'd be keen to get your thoughts, tips, advice or general feedback on this harebrained adventure I've got cooking in my head.

    submitted by /u/armbarurmom
    [link] [comments]

    I'm a sales manager at a small company (5 reps) who moved out of the "Sales Room". How do I avoid losing touch with my team?

    Posted: 13 Oct 2020 01:12 PM PDT

    I was sitting within earshot of every person on my sales team. We hired a 5th rep who now has taken my desk in the sales room. One rep was promoted to team lead and she crushes keeping the day to day productive.

    I currently run a weekly meeting and have an open door policy. I'll do a round in the sales room 2-3 times a day.

    How do I avoid losing touch with my small team?

    submitted by /u/Sleep__
    [link] [comments]

    Making a customer change power supplier to me

    Posted: 14 Oct 2020 07:44 AM PDT

    Hello guys. I work at a company selling «electricity deals» basically my job is to call out and get the customer to change power supplier to our company. Compared to the market, the product we sell is very good and cheap. What i struggle with is to make the customer be open for a conversation. Electricity is a low interest product so most of them is happy with their current supplier as it is even tho i could save them some money to change to our product. Anyone got experience/advice/lines i could use? Thank you in advance

    submitted by /u/snipersnorre
    [link] [comments]

    A system that helps qualify leads for you

    Posted: 14 Oct 2020 05:58 AM PDT

    Hey guys, I notice a lot of people here pissed off at marketing. Marketing brings a lot of leads! All broke, dont want to buy, dont know what they signed up for leads... you're spening 80% of your time chasing around and 20% of your time Selling!

    As a marketer and a salesman i understand where there is a disconnect for both... i want to show you guys this idea i've had and established it took me about a year to develop. It's a prospecting tool that pretty much markets to your people.

    The reason why your people dont know about your prices, arent qualified, and are just giving you thr run around is because you guys are getting only top of funnel leads...

    What are your thoughts on my system here? https://youtu.be/yDbsN_KBafA[search and sell](https://youtu.be/yDbsN_KBafA)

    submitted by /u/amazonebayseo
    [link] [comments]

    Boss forgot to work me today so I’m out for success!

    Posted: 14 Oct 2020 05:49 AM PDT

    "The Best Revenge Is Massive Success – Frank Sinatra"

    I have the worlds worst manager. He forgot to route me today (satellite contractor) and said the work was "really light" today. I called one of my guys and he said "It's not light! I have 5 jobs!" (Each job is driven to and can take 1-2H)

    So I am going to spend my day getting leads for the company my business partner and I started. We're coax / low voltage specialists. Customcoax.com (feel free to give me some feedback) So far we have used google spreadsheets to track the home building and electricians we have contacted. No contracts scored yet, it's our first week out of the gate.

    1. Any great suggestions on how to word an email to prospects? We want to pre wire homes and buildings for coax and CATV. Electricians often do this but charge more than a low voltage person would, and they aren't as IT savvy. We can do stereos, TV's ect, whole home wifi, cameras, ect. Ideally a home building company or an electrician would be our best client.

    2. Best way to find leads other than googling companies?

    3. If email doesn't work, should I just show up at a job site where I see home builders working? Other option would be to call these numbers. I'm unsure if it's too bold to stop by the job site.

    I have some stuff in the works for government contracts through FAMR.com as I am a DAV so the business qualifies for guaranteed contracts. There's a lot of red tape but I'm pushing through that now. Any info on this also appreciated.

    Thanks! Going for gold!

    submitted by /u/Effective-Salesman
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment