• Breaking News

    Thursday, October 8, 2020

    Neighbors don't want us to build our house due to their privacy Real Estate

    Neighbors don't want us to build our house due to their privacy Real Estate


    Neighbors don't want us to build our house due to their privacy

    Posted: 07 Oct 2020 12:58 PM PDT

    ****ORIGINAL PROBLEM****

    My wife and I entered feasibility to purchase a 5 acre lot to build our dream house on. The problem is that there is a wetland area running through the middle, leaving the largest buildable area to be against a property line, rather than in the middle of the property.

    When we were doing perc tests for the septic to see if we'd be able to build or not, the neighbors, who have lived there for 40 years, came out absolutely hysterical and saying how this is a "nightmare come true" that we would be building a house there. The lady grew up there. They've even encroached on the property a bit. She said it was her childhood place and the trees mean a lot to her. And that living there is a sanctuary for her and her parents (they are very old, almost 90). And that privacy is absolutely important to them and that we would be taking that away. She described us being there as a lifechanging horrible moment.

    They also don't want a fence built because it would ruin what they have now. They would no longer have a view into the trees. Due to the terrain, their house is only 30 feet from the fence and our house would be about 60 feet from the fence.

    How much should I factor these people into our decision? We were really excited about this piece of land and to raise our kids on it, but not if we have crazy neighbors who will hate us for it. Do people get over it? I don't want to have bad blood between us and the neighbors. I would hate living under those circumstances. But I also don't want to let them influence our decision at the same time. We could build on another lot but it would cost us between $150k-200k more, which is significant to us.

    We were planning on clearing the trees on that side of the property for our house and yard but obviously leaving the trees in the wetland area. We live in the PNW so there are big 100ft evergreen and maple trees on the property. But if we did that, this lady would absolutely freak out. She described herself as a tree nut and shivered every time me and her dad mentioned cutting anything down.

    Very stressed out. Could use some external input. Thanks.

    *****UPDATE #1*****

    I think we found a solution. The property is divided into 3 sections:

    1. West side near entrance. Buildable area but much smaller. Slight concern for flooding. Closest to street access.
    2. Center wetland and buffer area. This is about 2.5 acres. Low point of land.
    3. East side of entrance. Near the neighbors mentioned. Much larger piece of land and high point. Farthest from street access.

    Before we were planning on building an ADU in on the west side (section 1) of the lot, and the primary house on part 3 (east side). Now, we're going to switch that. So we'll be living on the far side of the property from these people. And that ADU will not just be an ADU, it will also be a barn. We intend to get some farm animals in the future (we have some now and love it), so the bigger area around the barn would be better anyway. And it will be nice to be closer to the street (otherwise long walk to the mailbox, long walk for kids, etc).

    They'll still have to put up with the heartbreak of watching trees being cut down and a fence being put up. At least we won't have to deal with them every time we step outside our house. And we'll definitely spare some of the great maples and evergreen trees for sure. In the end, it will be pretty amazing!

    I appreciate all of you sharing your opinions. I was toiling away in my own thoughts trying to figure out what is reasonable. I'm torn because we're really excited about this property, but really disappointed by the neighbors reactions and wanting to impose their desire on our decision and opportunity.

    ****UPDATE #2****

    One thing I should have mentioned is that I'm concerned about the older couple being almost 90.... not the daughter. After speaking with them, it is apparent this would cause a lot of negativity/frustration/stress/anger in the last years of their lives. So, maybe we can compromise and hold off on developing that part of the land for a few years or something. I don't know. But I think this might be more of a sensitive situation than your typical dispute like this due to their age.

    ****SOLUTION FOUND****

    Fortunately, we've come to a solution! And the best part is that it is in our best interest and coincidentally, their best interest. And I might not have come across this solution had they not gone haywire (and without all of your suggestions!).

    We have decided to build only the house on the other (smaller) part of the land for now, and to leave the rest of the property next to where they live alone. We've really wanted to reduce our overall responsibility in the short term while our children are still young, and trying to develop both sides would probably increase our responsibilities more than we need at this stage in our lives. Also, developing and building on both sides would be tight for us financially.

    So it makes sense for us to just build the house for now, on the smaller part. And when we're ready a year or two after that, we'll develop the land up top with a barn. I also run a startup, so I'm very busy at the moment. This land is great for us because it will allow us to expand into it in the future. There's no reason to try and build out every part of our dream setup at once.

    Thanks everyone!

    submitted by /u/allenew
    [link] [comments]

    Closed at 2.306% APR

    Posted: 07 Oct 2020 07:23 PM PDT

    We just closed on our 1st SFH at an unbelievable 2.25% interest rate, or 2.306% APR. Never thought I would catch a rate this good!

    Edit: 30 year conventional loan. 20% down. 760+ credit.

    submitted by /u/NjoyLif
    [link] [comments]

    Neighbor is trying to take my land

    Posted: 07 Oct 2020 06:50 PM PDT

    There is no fence between my neighbor and my backyard. I dug around to find the property markers after they started planting in what I thought was my part of the yard and found them 8 ft on the other side of the planting. I showed them the markers and the plat map that shows the property line is a straight line and offered to help them move their plants. In response they sent me a cease and desist letter from a lawyer saying I needed a survey. Its a straight line between two markers. Why should I have to pay for this to get their crap out of my yard?

    What should I do?

    submitted by /u/frenglish2
    [link] [comments]

    offer accepted!!!!

    Posted: 07 Oct 2020 06:32 PM PDT

    just woke up from a nap to the best news: our offer got accepted! we knew the market was crazy so we were putting down offers around 50k above asking but kept getting blown out of the water. after 7 offers someone finally gave us a chance!!!! they were asking 900 and we put in an offer at 950k and seller asked us to match the highest offer (953k) and BAM! first starter home acquired :) wish me luck on the rest of the closing process! we are now moving onto looking for investment properties!

    submitted by /u/sexman510
    [link] [comments]

    Considering buying an old gas/service station. How terrible an idea is this?

    Posted: 07 Oct 2020 07:07 PM PDT

    The owners of the dilapidated auto garage behind my house are retiring, and offered it to me for a pretty low price, less than the value of the land itself. It adjoins my property and would more than double my total land area. I want it and can easily handle the purchase price. I even have a potential renter who wants to run it as an auto shop.

    The problem is that it's been a gas & service station for 80+ years. Soil contamination, asbestos, and so on are pretty much guaranteed. I THINK that the underground fuel tanks have been removed, but that's not verified. Obviously I don't want to buy a huge liability.

    Is there a way to handle this halfway responsibly and cost-effectively? Of course I'll talk with a lawyer, water quality folks, and so on before I commit to anything.

    submitted by /u/eosha
    [link] [comments]

    Selling our first house, but it's not selling

    Posted: 07 Oct 2020 08:58 AM PDT

    My husband and I are currently trying to sell our first home.

    We bought it 7 years ago as a foreclosure and put a lot of effort into remodeling, updating, repairing, etc. After we recently had our third child, the house was starting to get a little too small for us and we reached a point of "do we spend money to do a major overhaul and renovate the remaining areas of the home, or do we just move?" Well, we decided to just move. Which has been a great decision. We found a home that's double the size, in a better school district, and doesn't need as much overhaul renovations as the other house. Also with the market currently being as hot as it is and home loans having record low interest rates, we thought now would be a good time, and that our home would sell quickly. I should also mention that the renovations we have completed were the kitchen, main bathroom, and main living areas. The work left to do to the house is mostly cosmetic, and we considered adding another bathroom before we decided to move instead.

    Fast forward to today – the home has been on the market for 36 days, listed for $285,000 (recently dropped from $300,000). We've had about 12 private showings and 3 open houses. There have been interested parties, but no offers yet. We've had good traffic on Zillow and overall, there doesn't appear to be a reason this house hasn't received any offers… Our realtor feels that it's priced right for the size & location (we are located within walking distance to a very popular neighborhood district in our city, and right up the street from a major medical college & hospital). Across the street from us, townhomes are under construction that are selling for $600,000! And they're selling! I'm at a total loss as to what to do next.

    Does anyone out there have a similar experience with a good outcome? I'm completely stressed and heartbroken that no one seems to love this house the way that we do.

    Edit: Sorry, should have included the link in the original post, hope I'm formatting this correctly: (removed)

    Edit: wow you guys are awesome, thank you so much for all the great feedback and suggestions - and an award! Thank you! I've never gotten one before, how exciting! I'm going to remove the listing from the post because our numbers on Zillow got a little skewed yesterday but I can't thank you enough for all your responses!!

    submitted by /u/purpleproxy
    [link] [comments]

    [CA] people refinancing or buying, watch out for shady companies providing useless services

    Posted: 07 Oct 2020 05:32 PM PDT

    Recently refinanced our home (pulled out $510K, 30yr fixed at 2.5% holy sh*t right?!).

    A week or so afterwards I receive a very official looking letter showing all kinds of public information regarding my property from the LOCAL RECORDS OFFICE, as well as an $89 processing fee. At first glance I thought this was just one last official fee for blah-blah... but looking closer I saw that this is instead a company called "Local Records Office" and they will provide a copy of my deed for $89... a copy of which I already received when I refinanced!

    I can't believe that companies like this exist-- barely on this side of legality-- just to scam people into thinking "Look honey, one more fee..." who might've purchased or refinanced recently, to provide a 'service' of absolutely no value.

    Caveat emptor indeed.

    Since this is a public company with a public phone number, and I could be wrong... here's their contact information if anyone cares to request their services or have any questions: (800) 790-0721

    Please call them with any questions you might have. Please. Let them know how valuable they are to you. And of course, they can provide an additional copy of your deed if you recently purchased or refinanced in California!

    submitted by /u/tritiumpie
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone else in a bigger city feel housing prices are insane right now? Do you think we will see a decrease around March?

    Posted: 07 Oct 2020 10:03 PM PDT

    Houses we looked at two years ago are now $150,000 more in our city. I think the most infuriating part for my husband and I (more so my husband) is he owns a company and builds homes for a living so he knows how much everything is truly worth (and as he says "it definitely isn't worth 400k" lol (also for anyone wondering why we don't just do a custom build - land here is 275k on average)).

    While I make about $100,000 a year, I just can't fathom paying around a $2,000 for a mortgage even though I could possibly afford it. I guess it's more so knowing there's that possibility of it dropping and then being pissed I paid $40,000 more for my house than I needed to and knowing that the extra money I spent could been put to better use. Does anyone think we will see consequences of covid next year (job losses, foreclosure, etc.)? Are you guys renting (thinking of renting), living with family/roommates, or looking into buying a house right now? How has your city been impacted? Thanks in advance for your answers.

    submitted by /u/br2088
    [link] [comments]

    My house is under contract!

    Posted: 07 Oct 2020 05:17 PM PDT

    I'm just excited! I bought the cutest little house 2 years ago for 140,000. I listed it for 159,900 and accepted an offer of 163,000. Over asking! It was listed for about 30 hours.

    I'm also sad (like crying sad) because I love this house so much.

    submitted by /u/Kristylane
    [link] [comments]

    Owner Occupied Clause Options?

    Posted: 07 Oct 2020 11:01 PM PDT

    I was living in San Francisco until I moved out this summer for a LCOL city. I purchased my first home there which I planned to live in for one year then rent to my brother when the Owner Occupied 1 year clause is up. That being said, I'm not exactly happy with where I'm living and want to move back to SF (and buy a condo) sooner than next summer (the 1 year mark).

    What are my options regarding the owner occupied clause?

    Can I convert it to a rental under unforeseen circumstances and buy in SF?

    Do I stick it out?

    Do I move and rent but still pay as if I was owner occupied?

    There is an HOA so converting to an investment property under my insurance would also require notifying them. I under no circumstances want to do anything that would put me in a position of possible mortgage fraud as that has not been nor is not my intent.

    submitted by /u/NotJohnDenver
    [link] [comments]

    [Buyer] Frustrated with agent. Am I being unreasonable?

    Posted: 07 Oct 2020 04:58 PM PDT

    We have an agent that we have been working with for the last few months. I found them through a distant word of mouth. We've put in offers on 4 or 5 places but unfortunately despite being in the top 2-3 of bidders and responding to multiple counter offer scenarios aggressively, we haven't been able to get into contract.

    Generally the realtors have been okay, but they are not amazing at responding to questions. It can take 2 days for a response to a question like "hey, can we get the disclosure packet?" It seems like I'll have to remind them to show us particular places that we asked about. This is all within the bounds of what I expected, so I tried to just ignore these minor things.

    Recently the realtors said that they are about to list a property (let's call it House A) where the seller has a selling contingency in place on a different property they are buying in a different part of the state. The sellers apparently dragged their feet on selling their current place, so they are in a bit of a rush as they have to remove their sale contingency (supposedly) today or tomorrow. The realtors suggested it to us as it meets nearly all of our criteria, so we agreed to see it and act very quickly if needed -- as in viewing to offer within 10 minutes if it met our criteria.

    My partner and I both work full-time and have young kids, but we've been working around their schedule as much as possible. We understand the world doesn't revolve around us and our professional and reproductive decisions, so we've been trying to be as flexible as humanly possible.

    When arranging the last two appointments of different houses (call them Houses B and C) we've wanted to see, they suggested looking at House A they are preparing to put on the market. We said sure, we arranged childcare, moved around work schedules, and we would arrive at the House B or C, finish viewing, and then get told that unfortunately they can't show us House A (despite them suggesting and us agreeing to do so shortly before we set out of the house) due to some combination of "painters are in the house" to "sellers are a bit flustered with moving out."

    On our last viewings (one where we saw House C, and where we had scheduled to see House A), they suggested that one of us rather than both come and give it an initial viewing earlier this week before deciding whether we want to pursue it further, and I said yes, and said that since I work from home, my schedule is more flexible, and I can make that happen.

    Cue the agreed upon date, and no word from them. I sent a check up message, and no response. I then see that they list House A, and we tell them we are still interested and our overall plan for the several homes that we've seen in the last week, and again no response. We then ask them about different houses that have just been listed that we want to get more info on and potentially see, and again no response.

    I undestand folks are busy. I get it. I truly do. But is it too much to expect a quick message saying "hey, we're swamped - don't worry we'll arrange viewing for you at a good time, no problem!"? Or to go to House A on the (thrice) agreed upon time/date? The first time we were told we couldn't see House A, we said fine, things happen, it's alright. The second time was a bit annoying, but we said whatever. The third time, I kind of expected at least a message letting me know if the showing couldn't happen. I planned my day around seeing the place. My hunch is the sellers got an extension on their contingency and are now trying to see what other offers might be like. We're fine with this and can put in an offer again, but we'd just like a bit better communication.

    I'm starting to think we need to look for a different agent. Are we being unreasonable here? I don't think we are unreasonable assholes expecting <1 min turnaround, but just need communication that helps manage our expectations, and an agent that understands that our time is also valuable and that arranging childcare and rescheduling work is not a cinch. Sorry the long post!

    submitted by /u/autoturk
    [link] [comments]

    How long after a home is on the market should I think about lowballing? (IOW... When does a listing become "stale" in a hot market like this?)

    Posted: 07 Oct 2020 12:58 PM PDT

    I made what I thought was a fair offer, about 6% off asking, on a house that had been on the market for about 12 days. I actually came in with my highest and best offer because the selling agent said they had another offer coming in. (The house needs extensive updating, including a new kitchen, but it's priced based on updated comps.) It was rejected saying "the sellers are not ready to accept such a discount since the house is new to the market."

    However it seems like 12 days is not "new to the market" in such a hot market with low inventory. What I'm seeing around here is that anything that's turnkey sells in <3 days, and fixer uppers priced correctly also sell quickly. The stuff that sits tends to seem overpriced to me and need a lot of work.

    Point being: Is 12 days too soon to send an offer like that? Should I wait a little longer next time?

    submitted by /u/ThatAssholeMrWhite
    [link] [comments]

    Can a landlord evict a tenant that has an emotional support animal?

    Posted: 08 Oct 2020 01:09 AM PDT

    Asking for a friend, I believe evicting a tenant for an emotional support animal is against the fair housing act correct? since the landlord is discriminating against her disability.

    She has several severe mental illnesses and has a documentation from her doctor to prove otherwise. She told me her landlord doesn't care and received a letter stating she needs to get rid of the dog or he will start the eviction process. She always pays her rent btw and it always has been a hassle for him to even repair stuff since obviously he doesn't care she told him the dog is for emotional support and has his documentation but he just ignored her and still wants her out.

    Is there anything she can do(like sue or file a complaint so she can stay)? Of course she can move out but housing near her is expensive and finding a place in her price range is extremely difficult.

    Any advice would be appreciated.

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/yahboyelias
    [link] [comments]

    Seeking your experience on offer prices and how low I can push it.

    Posted: 08 Oct 2020 12:37 AM PDT

    Hi everyone, I'm a first time investor looking to buy a house in the Columbia, sc area. I'm looking into houses in the 200-300k range for the purpose of a rental property. My question is what percent under asking would you say an offer can be without being unreasonable? To my knowledge Columbia doesn't seem to be a particularly big buyer or sellers market, though the rental market is huge and buyer sentiment increasing. I'm thinking of offering about 15% under market value, though I question whether or not it might be better to shoot for 20% under and land somewhere in the 10-15% range. However I'm worried that I might get scoffed at.

    Viewing 2 properties this week. 1st is recently renovated, listed for 50 days and already reduced twice for a total of 3.7%. Second listed for 300 days and reduced multiple times for a total of 18%

    submitted by /u/Fn-2199Isloyal
    [link] [comments]

    I think my buyer agent messed up. Does a waived inspection require the inspection contingency to be deleted or crossed out?

    Posted: 07 Oct 2020 06:31 PM PDT

    Because it isn't. We signed several offer because the bidding was going back in forth. In our final offer that we have signed, I have now noticed that the inspection contingency is not crossed out. Does this mean we are now allowed to inspect and negotiate?

    edit:

    The inspection contingency in question. It does specifically say delete if waived. I'm just wondering what this means if both party has signed this. Should I push to make an inspection?

    submitted by /u/khoawala
    [link] [comments]

    FOR UK: Mortgage Loan for Buyers Outside of United Kingdom

    Posted: 07 Oct 2020 11:45 PM PDT

    We have a bank account with HSBC UK but we live in Hong Kong. One of us is a GB citizen, the other is not. I am wondering what is the process and if there are any recommendations or tips for a home buyer (second home) wishing to buy another house in the UK and needing to take out a mortgage remotely.

    I see that HSBC UK offers this opportunity as long as credit checks are made and income verification is done, but what else is there to it?

    Is the process a longer one now that COVID-19 is impacting operations in nearly all of Britain?

    Thanks for any advice or ideas you can supply.

    submitted by /u/FellatioFellas
    [link] [comments]

    Housing Inventory may improve

    Posted: 07 Oct 2020 11:42 PM PDT

    Realtor Screw Up? Buyer Denied By Lender Due to Our % Entity

    Posted: 07 Oct 2020 07:51 PM PDT

    We put our place in NJ on the market two weeks ago. It's a condo in a transitional multi-unit, meaning that the apartments are transitioning to condos as the majority entity sells off their property. Currently, it's about 75% entity, 25% private owner. We informed our realtor of this upon our initial meeting. Earlier this week, we received an offer and started attorney review, which is the law in NJ. Tonight, our realtor called us and let us know that the buyer's lender has pulled out due to the fact that the building's entity has majority ownership. Is this a major fuck up on their end? They knew from the get-go the building's transitional nature, and we assumed that everyone who was shown the condo was pre-approved for this situation. Now, we are waiting to see if the buyer will work with a different, realtor-suggested lender, instead of their Quicken Loans one. My wife and I are understandably upset for this hiccup, and want to know if this is a blame game, or "it is what it is." Thanks.

    submitted by /u/samiamnyc
    [link] [comments]

    If you install solar panels on your house do your property taxes go up?

    Posted: 07 Oct 2020 10:47 PM PDT

    So if someone adds solar panels, and gets a permit, do you have to re-appraise the value of your house since you bought it? If yes, then in many cases wouldn't that mean a significant increase in your yearly property taxes, and wouldn't that negate any savings that solar gave you?

    submitted by /u/Shant1010
    [link] [comments]

    Question about what realtor told me regarding manufactured homes...

    Posted: 07 Oct 2020 10:45 PM PDT

    I was speaking with a Realtor the other day and they told me "it used to be that manufactured/mobile homes went down in value - not any more" and I was pretty surprised by this statement. Is there any data to back this up? Is this in fact the reality in the housing market these days? My mind was/is blown, but is this in fact the case?

    submitted by /u/google_coronavirus
    [link] [comments]

    I just signed an offer on a house and I think there's mold in there, am I screwed?

    Posted: 07 Oct 2020 10:31 PM PDT

    I signed a contract on a house, it isn't official since I still have to provide proof of finance (and seller hasn't accepted yet), but papers are signed and check deposit was made and seller agent said that seller would likely accept. There's an inspection contingency so I'll be able to back out after inspection (losing the deposit) but what happens if there is mold inside the walls? The house is beautiful but the entire house from top to bottom smells musty sort of like rotten wood. Should I just cut my losses and keep searching or is this something that can be dealt with without tearing the entire house down? It's an older brick home.

    Everything looked dry except for one area in a room, where it kind of looked like paint was peeling off, would that smell persist to every part of the house (including basement)?

    submitted by /u/darkmatter201
    [link] [comments]

    How do you refinance with extenuating circumstances?

    Posted: 07 Oct 2020 10:31 PM PDT

    Need to find a lender who can refinance a mortgage with extenuating cirucmstances. How do I go about finding one?

    submitted by /u/prunesandwich
    [link] [comments]

    A relative left my dad a life estate in some land in the eighties with the life tenancy to terminate at the time of my dad's death and the real estate would then belong to me. (more in comments)

    Posted: 07 Oct 2020 08:32 AM PDT

    My dad died recently. My relative always meant for me to sell the property as it never had any sentimental value to our family, and was never a homestead or anything like that, so I've always planned to sell it. It appears to be worth about $1M. What's the best way to go about figuring out the tax basis for property like this? The relative passed away almost 35 years ago. Thanks for any input.

    submitted by /u/snooperham
    [link] [comments]

    Pre-construction meeting

    Posted: 07 Oct 2020 06:40 PM PDT

    Hi, I will have a Lennar preconstruction meeting next week. What questions should I ask? Appreciate the help!

    submitted by /u/MNMom07
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment