• Breaking News

    Sunday, October 18, 2020

    Moving from sales to customer success Sales and Selling

    Moving from sales to customer success Sales and Selling


    Moving from sales to customer success

    Posted: 18 Oct 2020 07:09 AM PDT

    Hi r/sales! I currently work as an Account Executive at a large software company. After applying and interviewing for 6 months, I've finally received an offer as a Customer Success Manager for a mid-size software company. For some background, I have two years of business development experience and two years of account management/closing experience.

    When I started in sales I knew I would use it as a launchpad into an adjacent career path like customer success (and hopefully something even more technical one day).

    I guess I just wanted to post this to let you know it is possible to move out of sales and into other customer-facing roles. For me personally, I love working with customers, but the poor sales cultures I've experienced along with the mental stress of hitting a monthly and quarterly target are my main reasons for moving into an adjacent field.

    Happy to answer any questions around applying to CSM roles and how I used my sales experience to land a more technical customer-facing position. I would also love to hear if anyone else has made this transition and what your experience has been like.

    I also just want to thank this sub for all of the advice. I'm a long-time lurker and it has been incredibly helpful. :)

    submitted by /u/kweentotoro
    [link] [comments]

    FIRST SDR ROLE!

    Posted: 17 Oct 2020 03:14 PM PDT

    I've officially signed on for my first SDR role.

    6 months. 115 applications. 15 interviews. 2 rejections. 2 offer letters. 1 new job!

    Reading through this sub for advice, interview tips, and career ready advice has really been a huge help. If anyone out there is trying with no luck, just keep going. When you least expect it, your luck will turn!

    submitted by /u/catsndogsnotf
    [link] [comments]

    Saturation of State Farm Agencies

    Posted: 18 Oct 2020 07:07 AM PDT

    So I work for a state farm office here in my hometown of about 150,000 people. I just started in the sales role this week. The agent here believes that I have great potential for the agent aspirant program. He believes that I could open my own agency and do well with it. However, I see doing a quick google search that there are 10+ State Farm agencies and one big Farm Bureau. My questions are this:

    1. Does anyone have any experience with the agent aspirant program? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
    2. With my county's population density, is 10+ agencies overly saturated to open my own agency in a few years? Are those numbers more common than I am thinking? Should I relocate? Any advice, again, greatly appreciated!
    submitted by /u/AltixxGaming
    [link] [comments]

    Where can I find SaaS sales recordings?

    Posted: 18 Oct 2020 11:04 AM PDT

    I am trying to learn as much as I can about sales. What are resources for learning about sales recordings? I am looking for both types - ones that led to actual sale and ones that didn't. Thanks for helping out.

    Cheers.

    submitted by /u/tukasouth
    [link] [comments]

    Hi, I'm in desperate need of some advice. Negotiating initial employment contract with very small business owner for OSR position

    Posted: 18 Oct 2020 11:48 AM PDT

    The industry is equipment rentals, I have 4 years experience in this market with a fair book of business.

    The offer is:

    $1500 per week for 4 months, sort of a guaranteed salary while I get started

    Then it drops to $850 per week plus commission which is 3.5% for every paid invoice

    +company truck, phone, computer

    The company is very small and I am negotiating one on one with the owner. I feel like I have a lot of power in this situation considering I am only the 2nd sales rep he's ever hired.

    Problem is his initial contract is very vague and glosses over things including the fact they don't offer health insurance options or a 401k or retirement plan.

    I want everything to be in black and white and every detail covered before signing. I'm looking for help in pinning down things that should be discussed such as PTO, having an expense account, work from home days, possible bonus structure.

    I'm not looking to take advantage of the situation but I am looking for something fair and commensurate with my abilities and experience. I need to help him and myself frame a more detailed contract.

    Thank you for any advice offered!

    submitted by /u/westsyde57
    [link] [comments]

    I regret leaving my old sales job, even though I make more at my new job.

    Posted: 18 Oct 2020 11:25 AM PDT

    I left my old job in august, after being there for 1.3 years for a fortune 200 company. It was rough at first, because base was only 35k and it took awhile for commissions to come. Once they came, they were inconsistent. I probably averaged $2600 (after tax) a month and I was really good at my job, every manager loved me. There is room for growth and working your way up. I feel like I left too early and I should've waited to see how things went before I quit. I left because I was scared I couldn't afford bills since I just got my new apartment.

    My new job now is sales with a 60k base but very low commission for the first year, maybe 2k for the first year. The base alone is like $3600 a month after tax but I miss my old job. I have to go to the office 2-3 days a week at my new job driving 35 minutes away, and I don't want to stay here for a long time because of location. I'd rather go back to my old job where it's bigger company and more room for moving if I wanted too plus room for growth.

    What should I do?! Please help.

    submitted by /u/Ciaobello10
    [link] [comments]

    Experience with software vs hardware sales in Tech?

    Posted: 18 Oct 2020 10:52 AM PDT

    For people in tech sales, what has been your experience with selling hardware vs software? What are the pros and cons, do you prefer one over the other? Do they have similar salary potential?

    Thanks!!

    submitted by /u/comingupmilhaus
    [link] [comments]

    Setting up a new sales department

    Posted: 18 Oct 2020 04:09 AM PDT

    Hey guys,

    I am a long time lurker on this thread and felt the time was right to hop in and join the community.

    The business I am involved with currently supplies IT & Telecoms services, such as IT equipment supply, maintenance & support (MSP), hosted phone systems, broadband / internet services and mobile phone plans etc. The company is going through some changes where by the IT & Telecoms services are being split in to two companies (both companies will still be owned by the same group).

    The sales departments are going to be split in to two separate departments for each business. I have been tasked with heading up the sales department for the telecoms side of the business and I was wondering if anyone would be willing to share any job role structures and commission scheme structures they have used in the past within the telecoms industry or a similar industry.

    Just to be clear the two things I am asking for advice on is:

    - The most successful way you have setup a sales department (i.e. telesales & outbound sales) in the same or a similar industry.

    - The commission schemes you have used in the past which keeps the sales department hungry but also the company profitable.

    I have worked in the industry for about ten years now and although I do have experience I am always interested in other peoples input and advice.

    Thanks in advance everyone.

    submitted by /u/mr_telecom
    [link] [comments]

    Question: if you were to classify products / services that need some sort of "follow up" to be sold and those where "followup" makes no difference and the sale will happen or not happen irrespective...how would you differentiate these two categories?

    Posted: 18 Oct 2020 03:19 AM PDT

    Also, I understand that to sell things, it maybe so that the buyer does not have the problem or solution as thier burning problem right now. So they want to come back to this a little later.

    Maybe the core idea behind followup is to stay on top of thier mind and build that relationship so that when the time is right, they think of you.

    But, are there categories of things where this does not matter?

    Maybe another way to ask the question is: Why is followup necessary to begin with? How exactly does it help?

    Would love to hear your thoughts.

    submitted by /u/khoj_badami
    [link] [comments]

    D2D Dilemma. Take the job or not?

    Posted: 18 Oct 2020 05:07 AM PDT

    Hello,

    Just a few days ago I finished my interview process for a D2D position selling Broadband. This would be my first position in sales, which was going to allow me to begin a career in sales, and go from there.

    Over the past few days I've been fighting with a few things:

    1. Uncertainty. We're going into another month of lockdown, and no matter my own personal beliefs, people really take this shit seriously, and it's impossible that this hasn't just made a hard job harder.
    2. No base pay, commission only and self-employed. No pay for training aside from small reward if quota is achieved for first 10 solo applications. This means my savings can allow me to survive, but I risk eating up my emergency fund. I have to register as self-employed as well and change my whole tax code etc.

    I'm just a little weary right now with those thoughts. It seems like I'm reaching too much into the dark at this exact time. It's so hard to tell what is fear and what is logic. My original goal was to achieve something in telephony sales, with a base pay, and the idea of not battling with the Northern Irish weather on a daily basis (I don't even have a car to retreat to.)

    Let me know your thoughts.

    submitted by /u/doublecremeoreo
    [link] [comments]

    Advice for a newbie sales person on how to sell a product you know next to nothing about!

    Posted: 18 Oct 2020 12:46 AM PDT

    I've just started a new role and I'm selling curtains to people, I'm on day four and will be on my own, I'm nervous as fuck and want to do the best I can by sounding like I know what I'm talking about! Can anybody help?

    Cheers

    submitted by /u/tasteonmytongue
    [link] [comments]

    Transition from private banking and wealth management

    Posted: 17 Oct 2020 04:47 PM PDT

    Not necessarily looking for a career change, but I'm curious if there are any ex bankers or advisors out there that have moved into other career fields.

    Currently moving into a private banking role at one of the big four, and expected total comp will be between 110-150k. I'm wondering if at this point I've gotten too invested in my career, or if there are other opportunities out there with similar OTE and comp structure (decent base + incentive) that I could transition into.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Scape_Nation
    [link] [comments]

    What are the top companies to get into for sales?

    Posted: 18 Oct 2020 12:13 AM PDT

    Is dell a good company to start? Which are the best?

    submitted by /u/EmergenceOfTalents
    [link] [comments]

    First Sales job, looking for advice

    Posted: 17 Oct 2020 06:01 PM PDT

    I'm 25M, about 3 years out of college, and living in LA. Worked as a graphic designer until covid happened and I lost my job. I decided I wanted to try and get into sales, and after sending out a handful of applications, managed to land a job at an external sales agency. I'm pretty unfamiliar with the terminology, but I believe that's what it's called. Basically other, larger companies hire them to boost sales and figure out sales strategies. They told me that the companies who hire them provide an extensive list of leads for us and that my main day to day duty will be to just call everyone on the list to close deals. I'll also have to do my own research to find new leads, but he made it sound like they've got a large list of potential leads already. The job is entirely remote (albeit with the option of going into their office if id like), but it sounds kind of like a telemarketing or call center job. Is this a typical sales job? Or a typical way to get into sales at least? The title is "sales executive," which sounds rather vague and, tbh, fake to me. The base is 60k though, with OTE of 80-100k. I was making 65k as a designer before this, so even if I absolutely suck ass at this job I'll still be better off than I am now, on unemployment. Most clients of the company are tech companies and this is a B2B role, btw. Oh and I think the hiring manager told me 50 calls a day is standard.

    I'm not even sure what I'm asking, honestly. Is this a job worth taking? Is it going to be brutal? Am I getting scammed? How do I not crash and burn here? Sorry, I'm just trying to figure this all out. Any advice to a noob would be appreciated

    submitted by /u/Special_Poetry1578
    [link] [comments]

    I'm looking for a great consultant to help with biz dev on a chatbot product

    Posted: 17 Oct 2020 03:19 PM PDT

    Hi - I have a prototype for an Enterprise SaaS chatbot product. Looking for someone that has experience in enterprise software sales. I am an engineer with soft skills. In the past I've had good success with a biz-dev teammate tackling customer calls together.

    I want to get in front of 10 customers that are currently paying for a chatbot service (1000+ website visitors/mo). The goal is to understand their problems, how the chatbot solves it, and what metrics they are using to determine benefits. Even if we could ex-employees of major chatbot-companies to pick their brains, that would be great too.

    Although it would be nice to close the customer, I'm trying to understand their needs. Another nice-to-have would be to demo my product and test pricing.

    I will pay you hourly since we are unlikely to close a deal at this prototype stage (but will pay a commission if it's closes).

    Please let me know if you'd like more information.

    submitted by /u/reddit_helper2
    [link] [comments]

    Cost of living vs income, Denver vs the bay

    Posted: 17 Oct 2020 04:43 PM PDT

    So I've been looking around at Denver's rent, home prices, and salaries compared to the bay. After speaking to an awesome sales manager, I may have a shot at interviewing for an SDR role in Denver at one of the big names in video chat (you know the one). I know cost of living is much less than the bay, but does the salary reduction make me take home earnings less or do I still make out at the same level?

    I've done some quick number crunching, and it looks like I'd spend around $9-$10k less for an average apt in Denver than the bay for a year's rent. The pay seems like a $20k cut going to Denver though. Is it that these companies are looking to cash in on lower cost of living but not willing to pay people a realistic adjustment? Are my estimates just plain wrong? I'm 35 and unless I started earning a LOT more money very soon, I wouldn't be able to buy a house in the bay anyway, but I still don't want to leave any money on the table. I'll make any career moves that don't involve the south or Midwest, and that's only because I've been to those places and simply find them boring.

    submitted by /u/Beachdaddybravo
    [link] [comments]

    Door-2-Door Sales Guy Looking to Move Toward Enterprise Tech Sales ( SaaS, software, etc. )

    Posted: 17 Oct 2020 03:21 PM PDT

    I work selling cable, internet, home phone, cell phones, and security door to door for Canada's biggest telecom provider. We were getting an average of our commissions - 20% from pre-Covid times, but it looks like that is going to change soon.

    I live in Nova Scotia and we are starting to knock again because we don't have Covid, but the company has taken away all of our deals to attract customers, and we're not aloud to go into peoples house which will make selling extremely hard and uncomfortable in the winter time.

    Even if the company ends up giving me an opportunity to make the same amount of money I have been making On my average ($100152), I still eventually want to know what are some next steps to work my way up in the world.

    So, what do y'all think are the next steps to make it into an AE Role at a good tech company?

    submitted by /u/hotpost69
    [link] [comments]

    Voicemail scripts?

    Posted: 17 Oct 2020 01:40 PM PDT

    Does anyone have advice on voicemails or maybe even a general script? I sell b2b software and don't leave a ton of voicemails so when I do it's basically just "hey x jswissle here from company, reaching out bcuz we do xyz, give me a call when you get the chance best number is 123". I feel like I could be more effective but this isn't something I have had much experience/success w before. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/jswissle
    [link] [comments]

    This is hilarious! Sales during the new normal lol

    Posted: 17 Oct 2020 09:10 PM PDT

    Anyone here a pharmaceutical sales rep?

    Posted: 17 Oct 2020 05:23 PM PDT

    I work in healthcare as an assistant/technician and I've been really interested in this. The only issue is that I don't have much sales experience other than some retail experience many years ago. Anyone have tips on how to potentially leverage my healthcare experience?

    submitted by /u/Motormichael
    [link] [comments]

    How do I sound like I know alot about sales and stuff

    Posted: 17 Oct 2020 04:34 PM PDT

    No comments:

    Post a Comment