• Breaking News

    Wednesday, October 14, 2020

    Legal Advice Forced to take an unpaid lunch even though I can't leave the desk

    Legal Advice Forced to take an unpaid lunch even though I can't leave the desk


    Forced to take an unpaid lunch even though I can't leave the desk

    Posted: 14 Oct 2020 05:02 AM PDT

    Hi all,

    Looking for some advice for my current work situation. I work in healthcare and work overnight caring for patients. For legal and risk management reasons, two nurses must always be on the unit at all times. There are only two nurses that work overnight shifts at a time. Therefore, we can't leave for a lunch break or even go to our locker for a bit. However, we always get a 30 minute break deducted from our paycheck. This has been brought up to management who essentially said "that's how it is." However, this adds up to over 2,000 a year in lost wages.

    Any thoughts on what I should do next?

    submitted by /u/Dosinpitocin
    [link] [comments]

    My sisters probation officer has her blocked. What can dhe do

    Posted: 14 Oct 2020 07:22 AM PDT

    Good morning. First time poster long time lurker.

    As the title says my sister has a p.o that she is suppose to call once a week and thay tthey are suppose to show up to her house to visit once a week.

    Not only has the p.o not shown up to the house, everytime my suster calls it does go straight to voicemail.

    My sister has been freaking out and crying about this because she thinks hrp.o is trying to set her up to go to jail.

    Is there anything we can do from a legal aspect. All advice and help is welcomed. Thank you in advance

    submitted by /u/SailorGothicFairy
    [link] [comments]

    Legally blind and new employer is raising issues over it.

    Posted: 14 Oct 2020 07:22 AM PDT

    Okay so, I applied at a temp agency, and they assigned me to a factory job working on hydraulic presses.

    I'm legally blind. The nature of my vision disorder is very complicated. I can't drive a car and reading text is difficult, but I have worked on heavy machinery for 5 years without much issue or even need for very much accommodation and no loss of production value. Basically, I can and have run the exact machines that I'm currently running at my new job.

    My job discovered that I'm legally blind on my third shift. Yes, it took them three shifts to notice, that's how little it impacts my ability to perform industrial work (including quality inspections). I am very adaptable.

    My boss seemed a little annoyed when my eyes struggled to focus on a cursor on a computer at one point during my shift. It took me maybe an entire two minutes just to find the cursor and click. I hate when this happens because it makes me look like an idiot, so of course I'm stuttering trying to explain why I'm swinging the mouse back and forth in the wrong direction. I asked him to change the cursor color to black because sometimes I can't find the white cursor. He did, it sped me right back up. I figured that was the end of it, and it wouldn't even have been totally necessary as eventually my eyes do build a "muscle memory" to the screen I'm using and focus faster. I told him at one point though, "sorry, I'm legally blind.", and tried explaining more thoroughly... but he didn't seem interested.

    So my temp agency calls me about an hour after I get home from work to tell me "Our client tells us you're legally blind?" and then I said yes. They said "Well, due to the nature of that job..." and I cut them off before they fired me to say "I have done industrial work for five years and have never had my vision be an issue." Cue put on hold followed by a "We'll call you back."

    They called me back and are requesting that I send them documentation from a physician that I'm legally blind by the end of today. I'm not sure if they can do this?? I've never had to do it before in my life.

    I'm extremely nervous this is going to get really discriminatory really fast. I've had jobs be weird about me working on machines when they watch me stare closely at computer screens but usually they trust me when I say, "I will not have an issue." and then my performance record speaks for itself from there.

    Should I just send them documentation, and then when I go in for work tonight record my conversations? Should I refuse to send documentation and call an attorney? I'm only three days in and it's a temp job, but I really need this job and don't want to get put on some made up position while they "accommodate" me.

    For the record I'm 24 and live in Ohio.

    Update: I had my ophthalmologist fax over some sort of "proof" I'm blind. I'm not sure what they sent, they didn't seem too sure what to send either so it was apparently a pretty strange request.

    My friend says that the document should basically help with their liability and also help with money incentives and that's why they asked for it. Which, if it's true that means I shouldn't have any issues with my employer now, but if it's not true then I'm incredibly suspicious of why they'd want my medical records.

    submitted by /u/came_here_to_argue
    [link] [comments]

    This is a mess, funeral home released ashes to my ex.

    Posted: 14 Oct 2020 10:08 AM PDT

    So.. my daughter passed in July. My exhusband and I do not have a great relationship. Through the funeral home, they were splitting the ashes into 2 separate urns (one for me, one for her dad) and they were supposed to send mine out as I live in another state. Instead they released the ashes and urn to my exhusband.

    Now, I specifically made sure that the funeral home would be sending it out to avoid this. Now that he has it, he wont give it up. All I want is some damn closure to this tragic part of my life. I'm super upset and really angry at this point.. I made the plans I did for a reason.

    Now, I know nothing about the legalities of this. Can anyone explain what I might be able to do in this situation? Or am I S.O.L?

    Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/LiteUpThaSkye
    [link] [comments]

    Ex Wife swatted me, Police are refusing to go after her

    Posted: 14 Oct 2020 10:43 AM PDT

    This happened in Connecticut, where we have a law regarding SWATTING.

    Haven't spoken to my ex wife in close to 10 years and I have sole custody of the only son we have together. She just started trying to come back in the picture after not being in his life for the past decade. Back in May she called the police and told them i had a gun and was going to shoot someone.

    Police showed up to my house with 5-6 officers, blocked off my street. Three officers were on my porch, 2 stood in my yard with AR-15's (ironic username right) and I am not sure if officers were in the car blocking my street or if they were cars from the officers in my yard. However the police report both simultaneously claims only the 3 officers on my porch responded, while also listing the 2 officers.

    The police department is claiming this seems like a "misunderstanding" and that it doesn't fit the definition of swatting because only 3 officers are listed as having responded.

    My ex knows I am a disabled veteran, I have PTSD (controlled) and I own guns. She is trying to use this incident to paint me as unfit to be a parent. The police spoke to me and found her allegations completely unfounded.

    I have the police report, waiting on body cams and I have a witness that saw 2 officers on my lawn with AR-15's. However the report and the responding officers are denying any officers had rifles.

    submitted by /u/BluestateAR15
    [link] [comments]

    Hospital sent my deceased baby home with me

    Posted: 14 Oct 2020 01:32 PM PDT

    Located in California

    This happened nearly a year ago and I'm very seriously considering suing but I'm not sure I have a case. Here's the backstory.

    I was 16.5 weeks pregnant and went into what was very clearly early labor. Strong and steady contractions lasting about 30 seconds every few minutes. I went to my hospital's emergency room and was admitted immediately. They spent hours checking on my vital functions and giving me ultrasounds for my organs before they finally checked on my baby. I continually asked to be transferred to the antepartum unit for proper care for me and the baby but was denied. By the time the doctor confirmed I was indeed an early labor hours later and she was ready to physically examine me it was too late and my baby was still born.

    After her birth it was clear that I was going to need a D&C to remove the placenta, at which point the question arose about what to do with my daughter's body. After several back and forth discussions the hospital staff informed me that they would refuse to keep her body in the morgue on premises and that we would need to take her with me for the D&C and they would not arrange for the local mortuary to pick her up from the hospital. We directly called the mortuary ourselves and they said they would come pick her up if the hospital would hold her at the morgue, which again the hospital refused to do. The hospital staff told us at that point are only option was for us to take our baby to the mortuary ourselves. My husband had to sit in the waiting room outside the operating room with our baby in the plastic bucket. After my procedure I was discharged and sent home with our baby's body in the plastic bucket.

    The mortuary was completely baffled as to why the hospital would not hold my baby's body. A few weeks after all of this settled down we met with the hospital risk manager and the ER director who both admitted that they did the wrong thing.

    submitted by /u/kaaayceee
    [link] [comments]

    Our special needs child got sent home from school for having a fever and didn’t actually have one

    Posted: 14 Oct 2020 11:55 AM PDT

    Yes this is petty. I know. So is the school system here so here we go:

    We got a call this morning around 10:00 AM and said that our son had a fever. We had to go pick him up and we took our thermometer with us to check his temperature.

    When we picked him up it was 97.x. Not a fever.

    When we get home, we checked it again and it was the same. Not a fever.

    We then checked with another thermometer and it was the exact same.

    His teacher said that the nurse said we had to take him to the doctor before he can come back/return to school.

    Right now Covid / flu it is awful in our area, and we didn't want to take him to the doctor for no reason at all. The school pretty much made us take him to the doctor for no reason at all, get his temp taken, get a note and leave. We did that. The dr even agreed that was ridiculous and that shouldn't be a policy if the fever isn't there.

    Now, they are saying he can't return for the rest of the week due to his fever... that he never had.

    Again, yes this is super petty but I want to get in front of this before it happens again and again and he misses his therapies at school over nothing. seems like he got hot doing something and that's when they noticed, checked his temp and it was higher than normal.

    submitted by /u/bbllaakkee
    [link] [comments]

    [FL] Property management company wants me to waive my right to quiet enjoyment?

    Posted: 13 Oct 2020 09:29 PM PDT

    Hi r/legaladvice

    I did some research and can't find much to determine if this is legal, so was hoping you could help. I am reading through a lease I am preparing to sign in Florida, and it has this clause:

    "Resident waives any and all rights as to any express or implied covenant of quiet enjoyment, as said claims may relate to any matters or conditions that are not directly caused by landlord's gross negligence or intentional misconduct"

    Should I be concerned about this? I read in one place that this right can be waived in commercial leases in FL but not in residential leases.

    submitted by /u/thaatpoppunkguy
    [link] [comments]

    Is it illegal to walk your dog in a neighborhood at night?

    Posted: 13 Oct 2020 09:13 PM PDT

    I live in Houston tx. Tonight at around 9:30-10 I was walking my dog (I work till late, only time I could). I was walking in the nearby neighborhood by next to my apartments and had headphones in. As I was walking him I saw a man outside his garage and I waved to show I saw him. After a minute I realized he was trying to talk to me. I pulled out my headphones, apologized, and asked what he was saying. He asked if I live in the neighborhood and I told him no but in the nearby apartments. He told me not to come here again, I just said ok and goodnight and started leaving the area I was in. A few seconds later I hear something, pull out my headphones and he's still saying I need to leave, tells some other neighbors that I don't live their and if they see me again to call the cops. My question is can I actually get in trouble for doing this? I was on the sidewalk the whole time, but can he actually call the police on me for this? TL;DR Can I be arrested for walking my dog at night in a nearby neighborhood in Houston tx?

    submitted by /u/thabirdisdawerd
    [link] [comments]

    Property management group is slow/refusing to remedy broken stove that is meant to be provided per the lease agreement as well being slow to fix mold in the house with a pregnant woman.

    Posted: 14 Oct 2020 07:31 AM PDT

    Update; literally 30 mins after taking to the internet and complaining I get a call from the company saying an order for a new stove has been placed. We shall see.. they don't tend to keep promises.

    So, this is in Ohio. (I rent a duplex upstairs with my pregnant wife and 18mo son)

    About 6-8 weeks ago our house was invaded by mice. I worked diligently on my own to get rid of the mice and asked for no help from the property management company that we use to rent. I didn't have much success in spite of catching more than 4 mice it seemed they would constantly be more, so I relented and called maintenance for help with the mice issue as well as some mold that's growing in the back hallway due to a roof leak (they fixed the roof leak Sep. 12). One of the things I asked maintenance for was a remedy to the stove situation mice had started living in there. My brother in-law is a doctor and I asked if I properly cleaned the stove would it be safe and he told me "due to wife's pregnancy I shouldn't even turn the stove on and she could possibly get very sick and lose our child if she came in contact with vermin feces. I did some research and it seems mice like to setup shop in the insulation of the stove and it's virtually impossible to clean the droppings once they've gotten in there.

    When I called maintenance (sept. 8) they said they'd have someone inspect the stove and the mold and it would only be a few days. That was about a month ago.

    A man came to seal up any holes in the house and lay traps as well as poison for the mice... Haven't seen one since (thank God) this was some time around Oct. 6th

    A man came to look at the mold and told us he had created a work order but needed approval to start work but he should be back in a few days (never to be seen again) while he was here I asked about the stove and he had no work order to even inspect it this was around Oct. 1st

    My wife and I were quite upset about not being able to use the stove and repeated attempts to talk with property management company went unanswered and we left multiple voicemails. Once my wife did get ahold of someone and they said "mice could happen to anyone so it's out of my control can't do anything for you". This was around Oct. 2nd Obviously this reply made me think "I might need to take legal action"

    My wife then told me she smelled gas coming from the stove and called the gas providers emergency line and they came the same day and sure enough the stove is leaking gas this was Oct 9th.

    After the reported gas leak we get a call from an appliance repair service and they tell us they can repair the leak by the 19th and I asked "can't you replace it we also have mice feces we're dealing with" To which they replied "oh we don't work on appliances with unsanitary conditions we actually won't be sending anyone out". This was Oct.12th

    This is the last we've heard from anyone.

    What are my options? Could I replace the stove and send them an invoice for my service and the stove, then withhold rent until it's paid?

    Should I try to go to civil Court?

    The problem is we're spending so much on takeout food because we can't cook. And the only thing we can eat at home is stuff that can be microwaved. It's unhealthy and expensive to not be able to cook your own meals!!! Since we've stopped using the stove I've literally gained 5lbs 😭

    Thanks in advance

    Edit: the lease states that the refrigerator and the range/oven are to be provided. Literally says nothing else. I interpreted that to mean a WORKING AND SAFE. Fridge and oven but I don't know if that's what's meant.

    submitted by /u/idfkwatt
    [link] [comments]

    Timeshare new owners taking away rv sites

    Posted: 14 Oct 2020 12:56 PM PDT

    My parents gave us a timeshare in Sedona, Arizona approximately 25 years ago. The land it was built on was an old rv park. 12 of the rv full hook up sites were kept in the development and as owners you could reserve those sites for two weeks out of every month. This was a wonderful benefit to have if you had an rv. Approximately a year ago the development was sold to a vacation club. A few months ago the new owners sent out a letter saying there would be no more rv reservations taken for the time being. Now they are saying it is undeveloped land as such they have the right to do what they want with it and that does not include any of the owners using it. Our argument is that the spaces are developed as they have power, water, cable and a small bbq/picnic table. There is a statement in the paperwork we received with the undeveloped land statement though it does not state the rv area as being as such.

    Many owners are discussing a class action law suit. There are people who bought two timeshares so that they could live there year around. I imagine this is what sparked the new management to move In this direction. Do we have any legal recourse?

    submitted by /u/boozyboochy
    [link] [comments]

    Just learned about PA’s strict filial responsibility law and I’m panicking.

    Posted: 13 Oct 2020 09:26 PM PDT

    Mine and my husband's parents are all abusive and terrible with money. I just learned about this stupid law and now I'm terrified for our future. We have worked for 10 years to escape our families, but as they age I'm sick with the thought that we could have to fund their medical bills. We make money and have assets (and nothing from them—we're completely self-made). I can't emphasize enough what horrible people they all are. Is it possible to "divorce" them? Should we move states? We will do anything. I'm feeling literally sick from this. All parties live in PA. Please, any advice is appreciated.

    submitted by /u/Kintsukuroi85
    [link] [comments]

    Violated my lease by reporting bed bugs

    Posted: 14 Oct 2020 02:15 PM PDT

    I live in a "luxury" apartment (Nebraska) that is owned by a company that has a lot of properties. About 3 weeks ago I started a medication that has to be monitored for a rash that can be fatal. Two days after I started to get hives, so I discontinued the medication. The hives continued to appear and get worse. I assumed I was having an allergic reaction to other things and started the process of elimination. 🤷‍♀️ I would have never assumed bugs.

    Last week my neighbor, who is loud and likes to scream, woke me up yelling about bugs. I knocked on the wall and asked her if she's been waking up with bites. The answer is yes, and also she found live ones on her bed, which explains the screaming.

    So I called management and they sent someone out to inspect. They only found a few casings but that's enough to confirm an infestation. They say I have to pay $150 for their in house pest control guy to spray, and I might have to pay even more for repeated treatments.

    I said no. Absolutely not. They said I signed a pest control addendum that makes me liable for all costs, even though I didn't cause the infestation. My ex husband spent the entire day researching laws and found that there's a municipal code that makes property owners liable. The health department also requires property owners to pay unless they can prove the tenant caused the infestation. The addendum may also not be 100% legal because of those laws. I told them nah, but if they choose to charge me they'll have to take it out of my security deposit and that would give me the green light to sue. I then asked if they were going to inform the other tenants and they said no. Are you going to treat all the units? No.

    That evening I knocked on three of my neighbors doors and let them know. We agreed that we may need to retain legal counsel together, as a tenant union or coalition. Everyone contacted the office to have their units inspected and told other tenants of the issue.

    Anyway, I got a letter today stating that I don't have to pay for treatment and when they'll be sending pest control. Not entirely what I wanted, but that's fine. I'll just have my unit inspected by an Independant service in a month to be sure they are gone.

    In addition to telling me I'm off the hook, they gave me a warning. Which I think is super sketch and might be in retaliation. I will post it in a separate comment. I told the property manager that I need a letter with specifics because that's way to vague.

    I talked to my neighbors. I didn't blast them on social media, I didn't report them to the health department, I didn't do anything other than ask them to go look at their beds and inform them of their rights so they didn't think they had to pay for it. 🤷‍♀️ I don't like being bullied and I don't like having my money wasted or being told I have to pay for something I clearly do not have to, and I think they're mad that I didn't back down.

    I'm not being fined or evicted, but if I were I want to know if I have any legal protections. They also threatened to evict my dog.

    The violations were "Injuring our reputation by making bad faith allegations to others" and "disrupting our business operations"

    Eta: my downstairs neighbor did report them to the health department. She is pissed. Like, I think she's going to rip everyone's faces off, that's how angry she is.

    submitted by /u/GengisKhanye
    [link] [comments]

    Should I call for SPC because of my abusive parents?

    Posted: 14 Oct 2020 07:06 AM PDT

    I, A 15-year-old girl has been with my family for a while now. For the past years, I have been shouted at, judged, and for the past 15 years, my mom thinks that hitting a child will teach them to behave. She even threw a wooden heart box on my head and I started to bleed ( I was 10!) My mom most of the time threatens to leave me with my dad or put me in a boarding school. I don't want to stay with my dad because he cheated on mom a lot of times and he murdered a teen. But she keeps staying with him for his money. Sometimes when my dad tries to leave, my mom uses me to guilt trip, my dad, into staying with her. My dad had admitted to having murdered a teen to my mom and if she told anyone what she saw he would kill her. He also tried to kill her five times and my brother three times. I tell her we should leave dad but she says that " I'm doing it for your good,". I feel like I'm surrounded by crazy people. I'm scared of what will happen to me and my brother but, also I'm scared about what will happen when I call CPS. Can you give me any advice?

    submitted by /u/Starcream_spaicy1st
    [link] [comments]

    Am I allowed to go for a vacation on my days off? (Canada)

    Posted: 14 Oct 2020 12:29 PM PDT

    I should preface this by saying that I work in Alberta Canada, as that likely changes the answer quite a bit.

    Currently I am a store manager for a retail liquor store, and work full time.

    This Monday was our Thanksgiving and so as per my contract I only have to work 32 hours this week. I took that opportunity to schedule myself to have three straight days off starting Friday, and plan to go out of town (still inside Alberta) for a 2 night vacation in the mountains.

    My main question is: if there is some crazy emergency or three of my employees become unavailable simultaneously, can my boss force me to come in? And especially, am I required to answer my phone during this period.

    There is currently nothing in my contract that says I am on call or that it is my responsibility to cover for stuff like this, but from what I have observed working here that is what's expected. For instance my boss has said several times to me that he "works" practically every day managing mine and 7 other stores.

    My plan is to inform him and my employees that I will be going on a short vacation and that I will still be able to receive calls if it's an emergency but if I absolutely have to go in it'll take me a few hours to get there.

    Thank you so much for the help, it is greatly appreciated!

    submitted by /u/wickedslick3K
    [link] [comments]

    Parents set up a camera in my room.

    Posted: 13 Oct 2020 05:52 PM PDT

    As the title says, my parents put a camera in my room. I'm 14 years old, and the camera is literally driving me insane. I don't even know why they put the camera up. I have all As and they constantly monitor my grades, so I don't know why they've randomly decided to do this. Anyway, I can't do anything in my room without feeling like I am doing something wrong. To make matters worse, I can't even concentrate on my homework because I always feel like someone is watching me. I have trouble sleeping at times because of the camera. I know there's probably nothing illegal with what they are doing since they own the house after all, but is there anything I can do?

    submitted by /u/AccountantExcellent8
    [link] [comments]

    Got rear ended by a girl in her 20's, Later her 50 year old mom said she was the driver

    Posted: 14 Oct 2020 01:10 PM PDT

    I got rear ended on the highway near St Louis for my 1st car accident ever. No injuries, just a dent in the bumper. Her Jeep kinda ran through my Honda and her Jeep was pretty much spotless. We exchanged insurance info, took pictures of the accident, but we didn't get a police report. She was under her mom's insurance. She was a girl in her 20's from out of town. She admitted fault but she wanted to not go through insurance. I didn't really feel that comfortable so she gave me 40 dollars as collateral and I agreed. I went to a body shop and got an estimate and texted her the price (>$1000) aaand got ghosted. I went through insurance that evening.

    I got a call later that week asking for my side of the story. When I got to the point of talking about the driver, they questioned me since it was different from the story they got. They said it was a middle aged woman who reported themselves as the driver-the policy holder AKA the mom who was not even in the car initially. I found out there were other discrepancies of the story-the other party said I swerved into the lane, brake checked, etc.

    A week later, the insurance company said they weren't able to track the phone number to the daughter. After I asked, they said if the daughter canceled her phone number and changed providers they would not be able to track this information. In addition, they said the daughter has not given a statement thus-far on the case because they are unable to get ahold of her. I asked insurance what the consequence of the other party not participating in the investigation would have. Basically, they said it was outside of their control.

    My question now is what can I do from a legal perspective at this point? I have a picture of the daughter's hands holding their insurance information at the scene of the accident, pictures of the accident itself, and a 1-sided text message conversation with time stamps where I refer to the daughter by her name. I have no pictures of the daughter's face at the scene of the accident or her driver's license. I have maybe her old phone number but I cannot confirm this.

    In terms of motive, I believe the other party lied about the mom being the driver to save money on insurance increases, since the daughter may cause the rate to increase more since she is a younger driver. However, I cannot imagine what would be my hypothetical motive if I were "lying" about the daughter being the driver. When the insurance company asked the mother how I knew her daughter's name, she said I must have "seen it in her car."

    Obviously to me, the story is very ludicrous and I can't believe that I've been put in this situation. However, I feel like the insurance company has been very slow to act and does not have my best interests in mind. It has been a couple weeks since the accident and they are yet to contact the daughter for the accident. Anyways, this was a very interesting situation, and I've learned a lot about what not to do for the future. I was wondering if I could just get any advice of if any of the little bits of evidence and "potential motives" I have would hold up in court or any other general advice of what I should do at this point. Thank you in advance for any advice.

    submitted by /u/AmeriKevin
    [link] [comments]

    My dad ended up charging 24K on a joint bank account- my parents are divorced and my mom does not know what to do

    Posted: 14 Oct 2020 01:30 PM PDT

    Received a very distressed call from my mom before: she has been trying to get out of an older joint debit/credit card account with my dad for over 9 years now. She has continuously been putting money on this account, while my dad continuously ends up foolishly using this card for payment.

    Her name will remain on the card until they reach 0.00 - only then will she be released from the "contract". Her worry is that- God forbid- anything happens to my dad, she will be the one responsible for the debt. She is unbelievably frustrated, especially given that she has constantly been working on paying off this card.

    Quick context: My dad lives in Alaska and my mom is German. My mom and I are living in Europe and plan to stay here. The credit card company is in the U.S.

    My questions:

    1. My dad is happily remarried- can he not apply for his new wife to take on my mom's "position" on the card?
    2. Is there any way my mom could be affected by the debt, since she is living abroad?

    Many thanks in advance, it has been an emotional evening. Hoping to calm my mom down at least a bit

    P.S. apologies for any misuse of financial jargon- pretty big noob with this kinda stuff

    submitted by /u/pnutlove
    [link] [comments]

    My sister (15f) is seeing an older guy (20m) what can I do about this?

    Posted: 14 Oct 2020 01:30 PM PDT

    Context: My sister recently got caught sneaking out and smoking weed with our neighbor. She has never had any sort of contact with this guy that were aware of so we decided to call the police but they said there was nothing they could do since marijuana is legal in California. Recently though she has been sneaking out of the house and I spotted her hugging and kissing this guy who is 5 years older than she is. What can be done about this? Can I or my parents report them to anyone and can he be prosecuted because it's possible that they have done more but not much is known that i'm aware of. I just need help let me know what can be done. Thank you

    submitted by /u/thethrowcount
    [link] [comments]

    Landlord Wants Us To Pay a $2000 Water Bill But There Is No Indication WHY It's This High

    Posted: 14 Oct 2020 01:14 PM PDT

    Washington

    I live in a house owned by someone who doesn't live there. He sends the water, gas, and trash bill sporadically, usually just forwarding us the energy and gas bill.

    The water bill is usually about $350, for a whole year it has been about $350, but for some reason during March and April of last year instead of $350 the water bill was $2000 (per month). We asked why obviously and landlord checked for leaks or broken pipes, and monitored the water gauge. All looked normal, and in May it went back to the normal price. We showed the water bill to someone who works at the city and she said that that kind of water usage isn't even used by houses with pools and stuff, and our landlord even confirmed this - there is no way we could have used that water.

    So, because he can't figure it out he wants us to pay it. He only wants us to pay April because he "got the upstairs tenants to pay for March" (????? can't ask them because they moved out). He said we should see if we qualify for help from the state.

    Can he make us pay this? In the lease (which is literally just printed from the first google result for "renters lease" it doesn't even have our names or anything filled in and doesn't address utilities aside from paying the monthly price (which is not stated)). It really seems like he is just hoping we'll pay this and not question it, but we're three broke young professionals and 2k even split among us is a lot.

    Questions:

    1. Can he make us pay this?
    2. If no, what do we say to him about it? Just "no"? Is there a precedent I can show him?

    Thank you for your help

    submitted by /u/My_Pet_Robot
    [link] [comments]

    He helped out an elder neighbor lady, now her kids are suing him for taking advantage of her financially

    Posted: 14 Oct 2020 12:59 PM PDT

    My mother's friend is an extremely skilled carpenter. There is an elderly lady who lives alone next door to him. He has been helping her with some chores that require more manual labor for no compensation from time to time. Recently, she wanted her bathroom remodelled. Her bathroom looks amazing and everything works perfectly. The lady ended up paying about $20,000 including materials for this renovation (a little steep, but not outrageous). Now, her children are suing him claiming that he was taking advantage of her financially. While he does have means for earning money reliably, he can't afford a good lawyer, so he's going into this suit with a public defender. He's looking at possibly multiple years in prison (effing with an old person in Florida is a big deal). Is there anything he can do? I saw him cry today for the first time and I've known this guy for over a decade. He feels completely hopeless. What to do??

    submitted by /u/coolcatjess
    [link] [comments]

    Temp agency offering problematic position, don’t wanna lose my unemployment benefits. [Hawaii]

    Posted: 14 Oct 2020 12:59 PM PDT

    Was working a a temp agency for over a year at the same position before the pandemic put most of the state out of work. I was previously working at a position around 20 minutes from my address. They have now offered me a position that is over an hour commute, pays 2 dollars less per hour, but does seem to fit my skill set. This new position would also require me to probably take public transportation, which makes me a bit uncomfortable, considering I live with my elderly grandmother. I am scared to turn down the position because I can not currently afford to have my unemployment benefits taken away. Friends at the agency have told me they have also been offered positions with similar problems ( far commute (even tho they live closer to the position I was just offered), lower wage, etc), and I'm somewhat suspicious this is done intentionally to clear my agency's unemployment list even though they don't have enough jobs to go around. Is there anyway for me to refuse the position without losing my benefits?

    submitted by /u/noheartimndamukong2
    [link] [comments]

    Husband's ex is causing problems, spreading lies, and borderline stalking him and myself.

    Posted: 14 Oct 2020 11:01 AM PDT

    My husband and I just got married yesterday. We've been together for almost three years and he's been split from her for almost five. She cheated on him and ran off. They have never been married, have no kids together, and have nothing in common for her to still be involved with.

    About every six months she goes absolutely insane. This has been happening our whole relationship. She posts threats on FB and people say they'll go with her with guns to his home (where we do not live), she puts up completely false lies about us, and openly posts she is trying to disrupt our relationship. At one point she was trying to say that the baby she had last year was his. It is not. She has tried to tell his best friend that I yell at her on facebook and tell her to fuck off (I don't, and do not have any message record to her or from her). She has sent her brothers to drive by his house and to try to find him. She has said to mutual friends (of him and her) that she knows he's her soul mate whether he likes it or not and he promised he would be with her (he has never said these things) but in the same message say how abusive he is (he is not abusive whatsoever). Most recently, this week, she has been seen driving around his home repeatedly. She has built this delusional idea in her mind that I am the reason he won't talk to her and the reason he won't say he loves her or be with her. And she has filled her friend group with people that reinforce that idea even though they do not know him, other than what she has fed them. He has her and all of her family blocked on all platforms including phone numbers, facebook, etc. She does not have my information except my first name.

    He thinks that she stole a bunch of his documents when she ran off including his birth certificate and possibly ss card. He monitors his stuff and nothing has come up. I am afraid if she does have that information she will be able to send off for copies of our marriage license from the state when she finds out we're married and then she'll show up at our home. I know she has been watching my FB, I'm assuming to get to him, but also she hates me. We have proof and witnesses of all of these things, but she's so inconsistent that I don't think there's anything we can do about it.

    Is this even worth taking to an attorney or should we continue to try to ignore her and hope she doesn't show up at our house? Thank you for reading. This is a very stupid situation and all we want is for her to leave us alone.

    submitted by /u/Throwaway516313
    [link] [comments]

    Just looking for some clarifications

    Posted: 14 Oct 2020 12:22 PM PDT

    So with our house insurance we have personal liability coverages.

    My grandma moved her dad into a house that we owned and he was living there, paying bills, etc. Well he accidentally set himself on fire when burning trash in the back yard of the house. As a result he passed away. He had a dnr but was intubated and transported via careflight. So my grandma is worried about how much it's going to cost for that and was wondering why personal liability wouldn't cover this and statefarm wouldn't answer more than because he related to her.

    (From ohio since the bot cares)

    submitted by /u/Ser_Random
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment