• Breaking News

    Tuesday, October 20, 2020

    I sent an Airline CEO a bag of dog food and a restaurant executive a 6 foot plush crocodile: Here’s what I learned pitching executives at billion dollar companies Sales and Selling

    I sent an Airline CEO a bag of dog food and a restaurant executive a 6 foot plush crocodile: Here’s what I learned pitching executives at billion dollar companies Sales and Selling


    I sent an Airline CEO a bag of dog food and a restaurant executive a 6 foot plush crocodile: Here’s what I learned pitching executives at billion dollar companies

    Posted: 20 Oct 2020 05:54 AM PDT

    I've been following this sub for years and have learned so much.

    So today I thought I'd share some of my lessons, adventures, and experiences.

    I'm a joint venture broker. It's a pure sales role. I don't work for any one company. Instead, I go into companies and broker joint ventures/strategic alliances for them.

    I figure out other companies selling non-competitive products to the same target audience as the company I'm working with.

    I get paid a percentage of every dollar that comes from a deal I broker.

    For example, this past winter I brokered deals for 1-800-Flowers. I approached them cold with the idea of a joint venture for Valentine's Day with restaurants where they would supply sit down restaurants gift certificates to gift to guests at the end of their meal.

    It costs the restaurants nothing and they would get a percent of every transaction where the gift certificate was redeemed.

    They said yes to the idea but wanted to do it for Mother's Day. Within 6 weeks I had all the major sit down restaurant companies on board. These were billion dollar companies with thousands of locations.

    Unfortunately this deal was called off due to Covid. But, Here's what I did to get them on board for this JV:

    1) FedEx Letters: In January and February of this year people were still working in offices. I found the names of the executives on LinkedIn.

    I sent them a one page pitch and sent in a FedEx envelope.

    This worked very consistently. Within 2 to 3 days like clockwork I'd get a response.

    2). Funny/Outrageous gifts: If I couldn't get an executives attention with a FedEx letter I'd find a funny item on Amazon to send them. I'd send it as a gift and include a one or two sentence pitch in the gift note.

    I sent the head of Outback Steakhouse a 6 foot long, plush Crocodile (to fit in with Outback's them) through Amazon prime. I immediately got a callback.

    3). Food: It's something I usually avoid, but in this case it worked because 1-800-Flower's owns Shari's Berries. I was trying to reach one of the marketing execs of Darden in February so I had a box of chocolate covered strawberries delivered to the office.

    It was a risk (I wasn't sure how it would be perceived so close to Valentine's Day), but it paid off. She shared them with her team and I was able to land a meeting within 24 hours.

    I'm now brokering deals for a pet sitting platform with companies in the travel industry. The goal is for airlines, hotels, and booking sites to send out an offer for a free night of pet sitting after a booking.

    I first started with cold email. But it's what I did after that worked the best.

    Since I could track who opened my initial email and how many times they opened it, I sent funny dog related items through Prime.

    The CEO of a major airline opened my email 30 times so I sent him a 35 pound bag of dog food through Amazon Prime. It cost me $21. Within 4 days I had a call scheduled with their CMO.

    The head of partnerships at Airbnb opened my email over 25 times so I sent her a dog house and then a 5 foot tall plush dog through Prime. A week later I had a call with their head of business development.

    In two months I've had calls with 13 of the 15 biggest companies in the travel space and have deals in the works with two of them.

    The lesson I've learned is that it pays to be outrageous. No one else is doing it.

    submitted by /u/thesonofnarcs
    [link] [comments]

    The "oops" double call

    Posted: 20 Oct 2020 11:29 AM PDT

    I've heard this issue a few times, a few people I work with have done it and it just happened to me - the infamous "we talked just the other day" accidental call. I'm on the phone a lot with people all across the USA and Canada. I used Salesforce religiously but sometimes there will be a duplicate leads, I'll forget to take a note, I'll have a mental error, etc. The conversation:

    Me: Hi I am looking for John

    John: We just talked 3 days ago, why are you calling me again?

    Whoops. This happens to a lot of us and it can be really awkward. It's easy to quickly fumble your words and look like an unorganized buffoon but I wanted to share my easy scapegoat as I just used it.

    Me: I apologize John, I just missed a call from your area code and I didn't recognize the number. I am working with a few people with the same area code so I am calling everyone back until I connect with the right person. It can be a bit time consuming but I always make sure to stay in touch with my customers. Glad it wasn't you but I have to go - 7 more people to call!

    Works every time.

    submitted by /u/donutshopsss
    [link] [comments]

    Are signed PO's as good as cash?

    Posted: 20 Oct 2020 09:11 AM PDT

    I am selling a SaaS product to schools. They are sending me signed POs... but I have no idea how long i have to wait for the PO to be paid. I assume the signed PO is as good as cash, and i treat the sales as closed when i get the signed PO... just never dealt with POs before and i dont know if i need to continue to follow up with them or if they will just magically pay it

    submitted by /u/cotimbo
    [link] [comments]

    Biden Tax Plan

    Posted: 20 Oct 2020 12:55 PM PDT

    Hey Everyone,

    As we get closer to the election and the potential for a Biden outcome, I'm trying to better understand the effects of a new tax plan on our incomes.

    Some of the breakdowns I'm reading is that above $400k you might be getting taxed at 60%+ percent. I know for some the thought is "just be glad you're making that much money" but I'm curious about how taxes will be affecting comps and what strategies if any you might employ.

    Will you restructure your allowances in commission cycles? Will it affect stock options / RSUs? Will you ease off the gas near the end of the year if you're close to $400k so that those deals will fall into the new calendar sales cycle?

    submitted by /u/tabasco_fiasco
    [link] [comments]

    My Few Tips for Sales Success

    Posted: 19 Oct 2020 01:40 PM PDT

    Hey r/sales!

    I have been around off and on for a few years and wanted to share a few things I have picked up in a career that has provided for me financially in a way I never thought possible.

    Full transparency, I am not a natural sales superstar, I am not the life of the party and I have no LinkedIn following. This, like just about everything in my life, did not come to me naturally, however, I was fortunate to be surrounded by several coaches and mentors that were convinced and in-turn convinced me that anyone can succeed in this profession with a few things.

    I know this is overly simplified, but I also believe we really complicate this profession too much, which is evidenced daily in this subreddit.

    Ok, to the point. I genuinely believe anyone can succeed in this profession with Conviction, Consistency and Accountability.

    Are you convinced that your product solves a genuine problem (or if more commodity-based, why you are better than all the other options)? People will hear that conviction in cold calls, discos, demos etc.. If you are not convinced I believe you have two options to be as effective as possible. Talk to, listen to recordings, read your companies case studies out there, etc. from your happiest customers and get convicted. If that doesn't work, find something else to sell.

    Consistency is what has taken me from a $50k/year JH coach/teacher working 70+ hours a week to an Enterprise SaaS AE that will clear 200k+ this year. I am willing to do the small boring monotonous things every single day that other reps get tired of and push off until later. I find new names and list build every day, I cold call every day, I spend time every day researching my industry and the things my prospects care about to be better informed. Yea some of my days are filled with building demo decks, fighting with sales ops, working with sales engineers on account, and the last thing I want to do is get on sales nav and Zoominfo and find my 7 names for the day or make my 30 calls, but you skip one day and it becomes much easier to skip more and more. Consistency leads to compounding results.

    Finally, we all need to be held accountable. I 100% believe that doing activity for the sake of activity is a zero-sum game. Being held accountable to a manager, coach, mentor, etc. that will help you get better at every stage of the sales cycle, combined with unrelenting activity will lead to consistent improvement and ultimately more money in the bank.

    Finally, I do want to address luck, because it is real. You'll get a shit manager that cannot actually coach, you will get a shit territory that you found out the last 3 reps in it all flamed out, you'll find out you came on board with a company whose website and UI is beautiful but is completely empty behind the scenes and does nothing, etc. However, if you are dedicated to this profession you will get better at recognizing these warning signs, you will get better at knowing the questions to ask to ensure it is the right situation, and if you stick with it you will find that "lucky" position.

    Maybe it takes you 10 years to get to 200k, maybe it takes you 6 months, but the ability to generate interest in a business and then to guide them down a sales funnel to money in the bank, is I believe the most valuable skill in the world.

    If you read this thanks for reading my ramblings and feel free to shoot me DMs with any questions - I am not a consultant trying to sell you anything, just a rep that loves the profession and loves bringing other high-quality people into it!

    TLDR - I genuinely believe anyone can succeed in sales with Conviction, Consistency and Accountability

    submitted by /u/salesdood86
    [link] [comments]

    Interviewing for CSM Position - HELP!

    Posted: 20 Oct 2020 12:04 PM PDT

    Hey all,

    I am brand new to CSM and I want to make sure I respond to some common emails I will inevitably receive from existing customers. Replication and efficiency are central to my success, too. If there are any Customer Success Managers or outright Sales Executives that could help me answer these few questions it would be IMMENSELY helpful! I'll call our business ABC Wiggles.

    Email #1

    My employees LOVE using ABC Wiggles , but our budgets have been slashed, and I'm

    not sure I'll be able to afford to renew our subscription for next year. Is there any way you can

    reduce the cost?

    Email #2

    Draft an email to a Sales Director named Bob. Bob pays for ABC Wiggles Enterprise Edition

    (the paid version of our product), and his organization is using the product with fidelity and is an excellent case for expansion. Draft an email broaching that possibility.

    I have some things jotted down but would any of you have some thoughts? Again, I want to be able to replicate as I intend on using this response with a few variations.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Andman0121
    [link] [comments]

    Working at a franchise vs independent car dealership.

    Posted: 20 Oct 2020 11:59 AM PDT

    Alright so I've done a couple of interviews for a sales position. I've never worked sales at a dealership but I do have sales experience. Based on how my recent interviews went, I think I'm going to end up getting called by both a franchise and independent dealership and I wanted to have an idea of which would be better to work for.

    I'm based in NYC and the independent dealership is a place with a good flow of clients, the only thing is that it is located in a lower income neighborhood. The franchise dealership is a Toyota dealership.

    Thoughts?

    submitted by /u/Genzoid
    [link] [comments]

    Headhunters

    Posted: 20 Oct 2020 11:14 AM PDT

    I've been in ERP sales for 24 years. I have a good network of headhunters who've I've made connections with in the US and the UK.

    Not sure if it's against the rules, but I could share their info.

    To use a cheesy but true sales adage, It could be a win-win for all of us. I might be able to get a referral fee and you could get a job. They are looking for SDR and AE's across the SaaS/Enterprise software world.

    PM me and I'll pass along. I don't want to blow up people's LI.

    submitted by /u/Ocstar11
    [link] [comments]

    Interviewing for External AE position. Need advice!

    Posted: 20 Oct 2020 07:25 AM PDT

    TL:DR - Only been an SDR 5 months, got approached with an opportunity to be an SMB AE for another company. Really want the job, looking for advice/tips on how to kill the interviews.

    Hi r/sales !

    Been a long time lurker here. This sub actually helped me land my first SDR job right out of college. I'll try and keep this short. I have only been in my role for 5 months (Real Estate SaaS). I've been networking on LinkedIn and in the city to give myself options and have a killer sales career. I was recently approached with an SMB AE opportunity at another company and I really want this job. I haven't been in the SaaS game long, but I want to be a closer and it's been made clear that being promoted at my current company will take at least 18 months. Although my company is great, I believe the sooner I get closing experience the sooner I will really start building this career I want for myself.

    I'm looking for advice on how to kill these interviews this week. I have been studying the company and there product like hell. I also have a former colleague who is an AE there putting in a good word. Although I don't have closing experience in this capacity, I have been in sales in some form since I was 18 (hardware, inside B2C, personal training) and I am 24 now. I have sat in on and even helped with discoveries and demos in my current role as well.

    Any help appreciated!

    Thank you

    submitted by /u/rootedwithin
    [link] [comments]

    Sales and Marketing vs Business Development

    Posted: 20 Oct 2020 09:16 AM PDT

    Hi Sales, Wasn't sure what sub to post under but figured I'd try here.

    I'm currently a sales and marketing coordinator however because I know a lot of people in my region, I have 5 customers this year.

    Our other sales do about 1 million a year in revenue, I have $200,000 but expect in 2021 it will go up to $900,000 based on feedback from my customers.

    My boss has recently hired a sales guy in my area and through a little gray area from another employee I've discovered the new guy is getting commission from my customers. He has never met them, never sent them a proposal, nor has he ever helped with anything related to my jobs.

    My question is, is this normal?

    This is supposed to be a secret from me, I am not supposed to be aware and the person who told me could lose his job for doing so.

    The new guy does not receive commission from any other sales person whose work happens to fall into our region.

    I am really angry but I'm not sure if I'm missing a bigger picture in this situation, I know he was hired at a lower base salary however I'd be willing to bet it's close to mine.

    Anyone have any insight?

    Posting from a throwaway as my boss reddits and I really don't want someone to lose their job for telling me what they thought was unfair.

    submitted by /u/throwaway68492629
    [link] [comments]

    Any procurement folks?

    Posted: 20 Oct 2020 08:26 AM PDT

    Does anyone work in procurement specifically marketing/sales? What are your main duties?

    Super interested and looking forward to hearing more!

    submitted by /u/spencer2221
    [link] [comments]

    Tips for job hunting in NY - Anyone know a good recruiter/recruiting company?Thank you!

    Posted: 20 Oct 2020 06:46 AM PDT

    Hey everyone, I'm new to this thread and already have spent hours reading, such great content.

    That said, since COVID I haven't been able to secure a good sales position. I have over 12 years sales experience in b2b,b2c selling all sorts.

    I need to expand my research in NY but haven't been able to find anything.

    Anyone knows a good career search engine apart from the usual linkedin indeed etc...?

    Would a recruiter be the best way to go?

    submitted by /u/Sulyfuy
    [link] [comments]

    Customer Success Email Response - Help ASAP?

    Posted: 20 Oct 2020 06:32 AM PDT

    Hey all,

    I am brand new to CSM and I want to make sure I respond to some common emails I will inevitably receive from existing customers. Replication and efficiency are central to my success, too. If there are any Customer Success Managers or outright Sales Executives that could help me answer these few questions it would be IMMENSELY helpful! I'll call our business ABC Wiggles.

    Email #1

    My employees LOVE using ABC Wiggles , but our budgets have been slashed, and I'm

    not sure I'll be able to afford to renew our subscription for next year. Is there any way you can

    reduce the cost?

    Email #2

    Draft an email to a Sales Director named Bob. Bob pays for ABC Wiggles Enterprise Edition

    (the paid version of our product), and his organization is using the product with fidelity and is an excellent case for expansion. Draft an email broaching that possibility.

    I have some things jotted down but would any of you have some thoughts? Again, I want to be able to replicate as I intend on using this response with a few variations.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Andman0121
    [link] [comments]

    Has anyone used Altify?

    Posted: 20 Oct 2020 06:29 AM PDT

    Could you share some feedback? Thank you.

    submitted by /u/freefrombeingstuck
    [link] [comments]

    Thanksgiving ideas during COVID

    Posted: 20 Oct 2020 06:16 AM PDT

    Hey guys, every year we normally do a potluck for our customers where our staff all brings in homemade food from their ethnicity and we order a few other things. It usually lasts a few hours and it's a great opportunity to catch up/mingle with customers, show them we are thankful, and it has been a big success the past few years.

    Well obviously we aren't doing that this year. So what other ideas do you have or what is your company doing?

    My one suggestion so far is to get with a local store/restaurant and arrange for meal vouchers for everyone. Like contact Honey Baked Ham or something and order 30 meal vouchers so our customers can go pick it up anytime they feel comfortable/what works for them. Idk how the logistics of that would work or how expensive/difficult it would be but it's all I have so far.

    We also have legal restraints on how much we can spend on each person so it has to be relatively cheap, and we can't give our gift cards.

    submitted by /u/big_red_160
    [link] [comments]

    Enterprise Security Sales 5K Employees Targets-Discussion

    Posted: 20 Oct 2020 05:57 AM PDT

    You speak with a Security Director of a company, he's been there for 10+years and gives off the impression he does not care or does not have power. He takes our cal yearly, first time with me. Question- The info you get from a call with him is that they are perfect for your solution, security holes everywhere, and you know the exact places with names of specific apps and specific bizz unit names that would be super relevant to pitch to other units but could also alienate the the guy that does not get it or has no power. A- Target of bizz units with the detailed info you know, potentially showing identity? B- Target the bizz units with fuzzy wording but a slower approach C- Target other bizz units and hope they don't point you back to the other guy.

    I understand there are many other variables, but curious what yall think.

    Discuss.

    submitted by /u/stwelch706
    [link] [comments]

    is there a website or forum where companies can post sales needs and interested sales people can reply to discuss proposals?

    Posted: 19 Oct 2020 09:04 PM PDT

    I've created a new product but I need to sell 1K units in order to go to production with it. I made a proposition by email to an advertising guy who is a friend of a friend but I haven't heard back from him yet. But it occurred to me that this type of scenario is common and I'm guessing that there are sales pros who would appreciate scrolling through proposals in order to identify low hanging fruit for quick sales/commissions. Do you know if there are any good existing websites or forums which support this type of model?

    submitted by /u/random503
    [link] [comments]

    How to have strong follow up game?

    Posted: 19 Oct 2020 12:53 PM PDT

    I'm a B2B AE and I've learned a lot this year.

    I've gotten pretty good at disco and asking hard questions.

    But what I'm not great at is getting out of the "follow up" hell.

    Now, I've learned I should always book a meeting from a meeting. Typically that works 80% of the time and if it's a great lead. But there are some companies who I don't schedule a follow up with because they gotta chit chat internally and get their ducks in a row.!

    How do I cut the shit with them and book a meeting from a meeting every time?

    How many times do you follow up with someone until you decide to "close lost" it?

    How do I email or call someone who's been unresponsive and let them know it's OK to tell me they're not interested so we can part ways?

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/UnsuitableTrademark
    [link] [comments]

    SDR work life balance?

    Posted: 20 Oct 2020 04:28 AM PDT

    I'm studying computer science right now and a friend suggested I look into tech sales. I've only had a sales position once as an intern when I worked at my friends uncle's company, where I didn't really do much. He let me just chill out so I could put his company on my resume. I've had multiple people tell me to go into sales and I'm going to start applying.

    How many hours does an SDR normally work? I'm looking for 40 hours. I know someone in sales who works 60+ hours a week but he's selling cars.

    submitted by /u/Rt2127
    [link] [comments]

    Advice for getting out of sales

    Posted: 19 Oct 2020 01:00 PM PDT

    I'm exhausted. I've been in sales in some form or fashion for the last decade and I am so burned out. I've made a few changes along the way to get to a better paycheck, but the past three years has been in an SDR role and I just can't do it anymore. There are people 5+ years younger than me in the same role who are fresh and hungry and I've watched those people get promoted ahead of me several times. Covid and WFH isn't helping to motivate me.

    I just think I'm done, but I have no clue where to go from here. I'm used to making 60-70k a year and don't want to switch to something making less than that.

    What have you transitioned to after leaving sales?

    submitted by /u/LeftSharkDancing
    [link] [comments]

    Best sites for sales jobs in tech?

    Posted: 19 Oct 2020 08:32 PM PDT

    Outside of LinkedIn are there any good reliable platforms you recommend for finding sales tech roles?

    submitted by /u/SqueakyBeats00
    [link] [comments]

    Proposal and pitch design.... do you use a service?

    Posted: 20 Oct 2020 01:03 AM PDT

    Hi sales pros!

    I was wondering if you guys, specially people in SaaS use any sort of designers and copywriters on your pitches/proposals?

    Specially for B2B where I can see more of an added value...

    If so is it in-house or outsourced?

    Because from what I gather it's a lot of very unsavory powerpoints.

    submitted by /u/flubbermaster
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment