• Breaking News

    Friday, October 16, 2020

    Do not trust Yelp. They will lie to you, take your money, and never respond to your requests. small business

    Do not trust Yelp. They will lie to you, take your money, and never respond to your requests. small business


    Do not trust Yelp. They will lie to you, take your money, and never respond to your requests.

    Posted: 15 Oct 2020 08:49 AM PDT

    I set up my website last month on GoDaddy and was going through all of their settings for improving SEO. One of their options was to claim a Yelp listing, so I did it. Took like 2 minutes. This was September 25th.

    Next day, a woman from Yelp calls me and basically twists my arm for 45 minutes. I told her repeatedly I wasn't interested, I needed to get off the phone, call me back in a few weeks. She told me if I signed up right then, I wouldn't have to pay a dime until November 1st. She let me look up her info so I knew she was a real Yelp employee etc. She also told me I was getting "$900 in free advertising."

    I told her I had not moved to the state yet where I intend to set up my business, please call me back when I move.

    She said that's okay, it'll be drawing attention to my site before I get there. I told her there were no employees yet, not even a bank account setup yet for the business -- she said the same thing: Set it up now, don't pay anything until November 1 when I'll have already moved, and I won't have to worry about it then. Also, I can cancel at any time before that date and not have to pay at all. She sets up a call for three days later and says I can fully cancel then. I finally agree because I just want to get off the phone with this woman. She walks me through setting up the advertisement with my business image on it, saying it'll at least help the site draw some visitors.

    Three days later, she does not call me back. I can't get in touch with her. I try to cancel my ad. On October 3rd, I'm charged $130 to my debit card.

    I immediately called Yelp, discussed what happened, went through all the customer support channels, filled out Payment Inquiry forms, etc. It took TEN DAYS for them to get back to me. They said: "We have decided not to issue a refund."

    Do not trust Yelp with anything. They are engaging in fraudulent business practices. They are no longer responding to my emails. I don't know what to do now, but I won't trust them in the future.

    Edit: Thanks for all the responses, guys.

    To everyone saying I shouldn't have trusted this person, I know it's my fault I got charged. I was stupid. Fortunately, it was only $130 and not much more. I'm brand new to starting my own business and hadn't spent the prerequisite time studying up on what to avoid. I made a mistake, and I'm hoping this post will help other people know to never trust these guys.

    I've called my bank, disputed the charge, and canceled the card so they can't charge me anything in the future. Not sure if I can get the money refunded, but I'll just see it as paying for a lesson in caution. I seriously appreciate the feedback and advice.

    Edit 2: I'm now eager to practice my hanging up on people skills.

    submitted by /u/dunnsk
    [link] [comments]

    how to get a Grade A permit for cottage foods/non food items in california?

    Posted: 16 Oct 2020 12:29 AM PDT

    I'm hoping to start a small business where i sell baked goods and small clay items in CA. i'm trying to do my research, but i've hit a wall. I know what i need to do for a cottage food permit as well as a general sellers permit, but i don't know where to apply.

    (also, is there an age requirement to start a small business?)

    submitted by /u/stellunarose
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for advice

    Posted: 16 Oct 2020 04:25 AM PDT

    Hello,

    I'm a working student [ I study business and finance, this is where my interest lies as well ]and I've worked in a range of roles dealing with business functions and operations along with some general administrative work.

    Just to give you a fair idea:

    I've dealt with business functions and tasks such as managing operations, logistics coordination, product sourcing, inter-departmental coordination, data and business analysis, preparing business reports and feasibility reports on new ideas, tracking project updates and other key metrics, etc.

    I've also dealt with general administrative work or carrying out the functions of an assistant. Everything from schedule management, managing internal and external correspondence, coordinating various activities, organizing remote meetings, business/technical writing, client invoicing and billing, tracking and managing budgetary spending on various projects, etc.

    Due to certain reasons, I'm only open to working remotely.

    This is not a troll post or anything. But, I'm currently looking to work for free - to be more specific - looking for a mentor or to work as an intern. Any advice on how to proceed? And, would anyone of you be interested ?

    Ideally, I'd want to work under an experienced business owner. So that, I'd get the most out of this experience.

    I know that offering to work for free sounds sketchy and unreliable due to the lack of accountability involved. Any tips on how to avoid this?

    And, before anyone brings this up. I'm well aware that the best way to learn is to actually work in that niche/field. I totally agree with that. But, with the pandemic and everything, it's been incredibly difficult for me to land any roles. I feel like I'm really wasting away all my time. So, I thought this would be a good way to make use of it by gaining more experience and increasing my network as well.

    submitted by /u/gimmeabreak980
    [link] [comments]

    How do I decide a delivery charge?

    Posted: 15 Oct 2020 08:15 PM PDT

    So I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but I just started my own really really small business. Anyway I'm selling homemade masks , let's say 100 a mask (not putting currency for anonymity) which is comparatively cheaper than what other people are charging for masks too( They charge 150 ish). So far I've gotten help with the material so that I'm making a profit but I'm a lil confused about selecting a delivery price. At the moment, people come to my house to pick up the masks but I do have 2 delivery orders. Do I set a fixed delivery price or make the customer pay for the delivery depending on the location. I was thinking of charging 50(fixed) but the courier charges 150. Will a fixed price cut into my profit by alot in the future? I'm sorry this is incredibly long

    Edit: Thanks so much for all your help. Did not think I would get all this feedback and it's really what I needed <3

    submitted by /u/zoethepoey
    [link] [comments]

    Give us feedback regarding waitlist for the reward plz

    Posted: 16 Oct 2020 02:17 AM PDT

    Hey guys! We are developing a cryptocurrency tracker with impressive functionality: trading tips, goals, news feed, tracking successful traders' portfolios and more

    I attached a screenshot of our beta version, you can see we've set a goal to save up for Tesla :)

    Even if you are not a crypto trader, our Moni app will help you prosper and know more about cryptocurrency.

    Right now there's a waitlist with a few hundred crypto enthusiasts looking forward to getting their hands on our app: https://getmoni.io

    Could you please give us a piece of advice on how to boost our waitlist activity? Maybe you've got such experience.

    For the best answers we'll give you access to the app as it launches 😉 Thank you!

    submitted by /u/getmonimaker
    [link] [comments]

    Hey guys! Is there a way i can get a direct payment from my business?

    Posted: 16 Oct 2020 01:50 AM PDT

    So basically- I don't want to use shopify or woocommerce that are subscription based. ( plus take a cut from everything i sell🙄) I don't make much to start with anyway. I make art, is there any way i can get direct diposits in a safe way for my products ( to the bank) than to be using cash apps, shopify and what not .. paypal likes stealing your money, shopify is expensive as hell...

    submitted by /u/sunnygut12
    [link] [comments]

    New Business- Big Order Financing, loans?

    Posted: 15 Oct 2020 09:34 PM PDT

    We're a new manufacturing company and just started 2 months ago. My business partner has a factory in Mexico close to the border that we're going to use until we get enough profits to open up a US factory. He wanted a partner to access the US and have a US partner that can make deals and bring business and revenue and help with operations.

    In a nutshell, we happened to secure a huge deal this week after a month with the attorney. It's 2.45million with 30% profits. The only issue is they want net 30 from delivery.

    We will need about 250K on a rolling basis for 3 months to cover the gaps that our suppliers can't cover and that we can't personally finance.

    It's hard as our legal US entity has only been in business for two months and no revenue has been recorded in the bank, so loans are tough to get.

    Any insight on what loans to go for? We have a signed and notorized purchase order with escrow.

    Any help is appreciated

    submitted by /u/HandpayEV
    [link] [comments]

    Should I focus on sign-ups or sales?

    Posted: 16 Oct 2020 01:07 AM PDT

    I have a business that comprises both an online service plus a physical product. The product is useless without also signing up for an account, and having an account is almost-as-useless without also having the product.

    At the moment my website largely directs people to my online shop to buy, although I see a surprising number of sign-ups without any purchase taking place and without any real incentive to do so. This is presumably in part due to the act of signing-up involving less commitment than purchasing, i.e. free!

    My question is, should I take advantage of peoples apparent willingness to sign-up and make that the focus, or continue to push people towards purchasing first?

    At the moment I don't have a good welcome campaign in place (although that's being planned out), nor do I have a monthly/recurring newsletter (a much bigger challenge for me; this is a side hustle so time and resource are a factor).

    Purchases are what I'm ultimately interested in, and as a sign-up will always happen off the back of a purchase (again, useless product otherwise) that's why I've given signing-up less priority.

    However, it seems wasteful not to take advantage of these sign-ups if people are so willing, which I could potentially continue marketing to whereas a customer leaving without a purchase is gone for good.

    submitted by /u/chricholson
    [link] [comments]

    Ex-client refusing to pay up. What are my options?

    Posted: 15 Oct 2020 07:52 AM PDT

    I worked as a consultant with a fitness firm. We signed a contract and work was good as well.

    They decided to hire me for secondary service mid-way which I gladly accepted as an extra income source. However, We don't sign a contract for that service as a sign of trust. I too let it pass in good faith.

    Fast forward two weeks, The client decided to hire an in-house manager which meant I was no longer needed. I end things amicably.

    It has been 20 days since then no money has been released till now for the work I did. It is a substantial amount as it makes 45% of my monthly revenue.

    They are directing me from one department to the other. They are not even receiving my calls now. I do have a contract but for the other work that I did, I have nothing except WhatsApp messages.

    What are my options from here? Involving legal authorities is my last option as I dread the complications.
    I also, want to know - How to avoid such a scenario in future where you're working as a 3rd party service provider.

    Any help is appreciated.

    Thank you

    submitted by /u/WhatRemainsAfter
    [link] [comments]

    Morbid post beware, need advice though.

    Posted: 15 Oct 2020 05:28 PM PDT

    Worked with my old man 7 years. Unfortunately he did not wake up last week. I'm left with a cabinetry business that he made his errors in, but I'm left piecing together the puzzle. This is something i want to do for myself first and foremost but also carry on. My accountant has recommended dissolving the business so that we are unlikely to get audited.

    Here's where I'm getting at, i do think that's a good idea given our situation. My question to all of you is that I'm meeting with her tomorrow. What questions should i be asking?

    I've only been a worker/ shop Manager and I'm currently 24. The last couple months I've been having to handle the biz side more and more but am still a bit lost. We're a 500-700k a year revenue biz but bottom line there's almost nothing left. Capex biggest hits are rent, labor, insurance (way more than i thought) and materials.

    My dream for our business is to catch the Ready to assembly trend early, but not to early. It will require a 75k investment into the machinery that would make us a real player. I ultimately would like to use that cash to buy a building and in the future outgrow and rent to someone else to start a commercial real estate income stream.

    Do i sound like I'm on a pipe dream? What should i be settling up tomorrow as far as going forward with my (our, i would like to give my mom steady income) business, What would you be doing in my situation?

    submitted by /u/Swissschiess
    [link] [comments]

    Filed for an EIN and forgot to include LLC in company name.

    Posted: 15 Oct 2020 06:51 PM PDT

    Hello, thanks for reading. As the title suggests, I've recently filled for an EIN, but forgot to put LLC with my company's name.

    Is there a way to remedy this without having to send away paperwork to IRS and wait up to a month (In which I don't have the time to do so) to hear back.

    Thank you.

    submitted by /u/Skillz4ya2
    [link] [comments]

    Sales tax / excise tax in Washington while running an online business from out of state

    Posted: 15 Oct 2020 09:58 PM PDT

    I'm a bit confused about how excise tax works in Washington. I run my business from out of state / out of the country but incorporated as a Washington LLC. Washington collects excise tax for businesses that operate from Washington (the rate is around 1.5% or so of gross revenue depending on the type of business). Do I need to pay that 1.5% even though I'm not collecting an additional 1.5% sales tax from my customers who are mostly outside of Washington? Or do I somehow figure out how many washington users I have (which is a challenge in itself) and then pay Washington 1.5% of their gross receipts? Or is it 1.5% of gross profit on worldwide customers (even outside the US) that Washington is levying tax on?

    Is there a better state to incorporate in as an online business? I was looking at Wyoming and some others that have little/no corporate tax.

    submitted by /u/Seoulseeking2
    [link] [comments]

    Expenses I made before creating an LLC?

    Posted: 15 Oct 2020 09:08 PM PDT

    I just recently created my website business about 2 months ago (early Sept 2020). And just recently after that I opened up a business bank account and credit card. But before all this and even since last year in 2019, I've been purchasing things for my business out of my own personal account. Is there any way for me to count those in as business expenses? and how would I do it?

    I've saved all my expenses for this business into a spreadsheet and my first expense was dated back on July 11, 2019 for my domain names.

    submitted by /u/ninetynineknights
    [link] [comments]

    An insight into the fake reviews business

    Posted: 15 Oct 2020 04:28 PM PDT

    Hey guys I made a video letting the cat out of the bag and revealing how to get reviews for your listings and also explaining why you should never trust reviews, spoiler alert there are SEO guys like me who manipulate reviews https://youtu.be/RC82zYMcUMg

    submitted by /u/JudeMarshal
    [link] [comments]

    Small business where you can be an owner operator, make 100k+ and have no employees? Does it exist?

    Posted: 15 Oct 2020 07:40 PM PDT

    It would be the perfect situation for me and was just looking for some ideas

    submitted by /u/Kevinclimbstrees
    [link] [comments]

    Financial Statement Help

    Posted: 15 Oct 2020 03:47 PM PDT

    Someday I would like to buy a business. I'm not ready yet, as I have a lot to learn, but I have started looking to see whats out there and to learn. I found a small manufacturing business that I think is interesting, but I'm trying to understand it's financial statement. All I have access to is last year's statement and it looks something like this:

    Revenue: $300,000

    Net Income from Year End Statements ($17,000)

    Amortization and Depreciation $15,000

    Owner's Salary and benefits: $95,000

    Total Adjustments: $110,000

    Seller's Discretionary Earnings: $93,000

    Can someone help me make sense of this? Is it a problem that the net income is negative? My understanding from these numbers is that the company is not keeping any profits, is that correct and if so, is that a red flag?

    submitted by /u/Cold-Fan
    [link] [comments]

    How does 1099 tax write off work?

    Posted: 15 Oct 2020 12:45 PM PDT

    Recently started a 1099 job. I'm having trouble understanding how the tax credit works. Let's say I buy a laptop for $1000. Does my taxable income go down that amount or do I get a credit for that amount?

    submitted by /u/mcpheeks
    [link] [comments]

    So im taking the first step

    Posted: 15 Oct 2020 12:33 PM PDT

    However im really terrified ive been wanting to start my business since last year but due to screw ups i had to delay this year im able but a lot has change for me personally and im really scared i will fail and mess up. I feel like im going to be punished for doing my own business. I really need help

    submitted by /u/Thecassandragoth
    [link] [comments]

    What can I do about another Business selling the same items as my shop in the same mini mall?

    Posted: 15 Oct 2020 11:48 AM PDT

    The mini mall has maybe about 6 active Businesses which are all very unique, mine being a record shop. Now another store in the plaza started selling records. (not from a distributor, they are used records). This is located in Canada if that matters. Appreciate any input, thank you!

    submitted by /u/NorthernLolal
    [link] [comments]

    Mail Store Owners (How do you make money?)

    Posted: 15 Oct 2020 03:13 PM PDT

    I've always been intrigued by the mail business. More specifically, ASOs (Authorized Shipping Outlet). I was just curious how exactly money is made by just receiving packages. I know with people coming in and out dropping stuff off, you're also bringing them into a store that also has supplies and such that they can grab along the way. If any one is an owner or works for a mail store, I would greatly appreciate the explanation on how the store specifically makes money from packages. Thanks in adnavce.

    submitted by /u/Away-Stress
    [link] [comments]

    Carpet cleaning business.

    Posted: 15 Oct 2020 11:07 AM PDT

    So I've been thinking about starting a carpet cleaning service and was wondering if that requires any special license or permit for California

    submitted by /u/coop2044
    [link] [comments]

    General Advice starting small I.T. business

    Posted: 15 Oct 2020 02:42 PM PDT

    So I preface this with saying I currently got let go off my full time job and looking for full time work.

    However, my brother suggested I create a post on here and ask for some general advice regarding starting a small side business.

    I graduated with a Management Information Systems degree, and I have about 3 work years and 6 years of general knowledge regarding tech ranging from QA Analyst, Tier 1-3 support, networking, mac/pc deployments SCCM/JAMF just to name a few. I've work 5 years in retail and have a knack for talking and interacting with people. Very much of a people person.

    What are some basic things that I must do to even begin to look into starting a 1 man IT support or consulting for small businesses in my city or do at home visits (covid precautions taking into account of course)

    What are some legal things I must do to keep myself safe if I cause some type of problem, damages or if the client tries to blame me for something that I didnt cause?

    I would be working out of my house and I currently already have a lot of tech related tools to do what I believe I would see on an average day.

    submitted by /u/EducatedDumplings
    [link] [comments]

    Any feedback on PNC or BMO Harris banks for biz account?

    Posted: 15 Oct 2020 02:38 PM PDT

    I'm cross referencing bonuses for opening accounts with accounts (savings) that have a decent interest rate (decent being relative). These two came up; curious if anyone has used / whether you've liked using them?

    submitted by /u/clichetourist
    [link] [comments]

    What to do about unresponsive partner?

    Posted: 15 Oct 2020 08:22 AM PDT

    Hi all!

    Again, to keep this short (like all my previous posts) I will get right to it.

    I started an LLC in May of 2018 with a few others, and although things went well early on, things are not going well as of recent. Our one partner has not been active since the middle of 2019, and since then my other partner and I have split things 50/50. I would like to leave the company as we are not profitable any more and I don't want to work with someone like him, but he has been very unresponsive of my texts and communications to submit articles of winding up and (eventually) dissolution. What can I do in this instance? I do all of our accouting and it all is very easy as we didn't make a lot, didn't spend a lot this year (or previous years) and have no assets. Can I just submit a K-1 to the IRS and state that this is my final, submit a resignation letter to them, and remove myself from the business bank account and let him deal with it all if my partner won't ever contact me?

    We do have some credit card debt, but it's maybe a few hundred dollars split between the both of us. The bank account was opened using my SSN, so I am also worried about putting my half of the money in if the correct decision for me is to pay and leave and things affecting me personally like credit and collections if I am not involved with the business any longer. I know this is Reddit and this isn't the best platform to ask this on, but all advice is appreciated. I can expand on anything if needed. Thank you!!

    submitted by /u/annon161720
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment