• Breaking News

    Sunday, October 18, 2020

    Daily Advice Thread - All basic help or advice questions must be posted here. Investing

    Daily Advice Thread - All basic help or advice questions must be posted here. Investing


    Daily Advice Thread - All basic help or advice questions must be posted here.

    Posted: 17 Oct 2020 05:10 AM PDT

    If your question is "I have $10,000, what do I do?" or other "advice for my personal situation" questions. If you are going to ask how to invest you should include relevant information, such as the following:

    • How old are you?
    • Are you employed/making income? How much?
    • What are your objectives with this money? (buy a house? Retirement savings?)
    • What is your risk tolerance? (Do you mind risking it at blackjack or do you need to know its 100% safe?)
    • What are you current holdings? (Do you already have exposure to specific funds and sectors?)
    • Any other assets? House paid off? Cars? Expensive significant other?
    • What is your time horizon? Do you need this money next month? Next 20yrs?
    • Any big debts?
    • Any other relevant financial information will be useful to give you a proper answer.

    Please consider consulting our FAQ first - https://www.reddit.com/r/investing/wiki/faq

    Be aware that these answers are just opinions of Redditors and should be used as a starting point for your research. You should strongly consider seeing a registered financial rep before making any financial decisions!

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Whats the point of broadly diversified portfolie, when there are ETFs?

    Posted: 18 Oct 2020 01:15 AM PDT

    Disclosure: 4 months into investing only. Daily I see "Rate my portfolio" posts or discussions consisting of ppl exposing their holding, which in 99% cases consist of FAANG + MSFT/WMT/NVDA etc with 3-15% ratios. (I left 1% for those full TSLA/NIO nukers)

    What is the point of this in comparison with holding 1-3 ETFs like VTI, SnP500, QQQ, ARK, ICLN and so on with little to no overlap? I compared performance and its very similar, those companies don't deflect from market performance that much, if at all. You practically trade 0-2%/year for broader diversification.

    I am asking because I am on a verge of investing in individual stocks my self but my take on it is different and I want to double check.

    My Strategy - For past 4 months I pumped 2k every 2 weeks into Vanguard FTSE AW (80%) + Vanguard FTSE EM (20%) (EU citizen) as a stable base. Additionally I bought 3k worth of AMD at dip of 59, because I follow this this industry and AMD is what practically got me into investing. I use and believe in their products, love range of markets they appear on and upcoming product lines indicates, that upward trend is going to continue. But.. even tho its improving, their debt to assets ratio is quite high and p/e indicates overvaluation, so I am planing to sell at 90 or day before products launch (4th of November). Sorry for OT. Lets get back on track..

    I want to hold ETF to single stock ratio of 75/25 % and looking for my next move (VRTX or FSLY after dip,,DOYU, BABA..?), but why chose mildly growing stock that doesn't deflect from market trend? Am I wrong to assume that? Thanks for your reactions..

    submitted by /u/Wgodd
    [link] [comments]

    Tech’s Influence Over Markets Eclipses Dot-Com Bubble Peak

    Posted: 17 Oct 2020 07:22 AM PDT

    Companies that do everything from manufacturing phones to operating social-media platforms now account for nearly 40% of the S&P 500

    WSJ

    https://i.imgur.com/XhB6s5R.png

    Is anyone else concerned with this?

    submitted by /u/LinuxF4n
    [link] [comments]

    12% Average Return Index?

    Posted: 17 Oct 2020 09:40 PM PDT

    Dave Ramsey talks about how he averages 12% annual gains.

    The SP500 averages 10%. 8% after inflation.

    Is 12% realistic? I've heard of a few that have been so far, such as VOO.

    Currently in Total US and Total International markets, 50/50 for my Roth IRA. Considering on switching to a 12% fund.

    submitted by /u/Charmander360
    [link] [comments]

    What company would you like to see PSTH take public?

    Posted: 17 Oct 2020 08:15 PM PDT

    Poll: https://strawpoll.com/paz6sae2y

    Ackman says he'd be comfortable putting a deal together in a three-four week time frame, with a merger taking place within 60 days.

    Personally I would love to see Starlink, but it seems highly unlikely.

    If you hold until the ticker change and no public shares redeem for cash, then each share gets 2/9 distributable tontine warrants. If half of all public shares redeem for cash, then each remaining share gets 4/9 distributable tontine warrants. The tontine warrants will likely create a fascinating trading dynamic in PSTH common stock.

    submitted by /u/ShortCorona
    [link] [comments]

    Is Nio extremely overvalued?

    Posted: 17 Oct 2020 03:33 PM PDT

    Hi, I know a lot companies are supposed bubbles but Nio legit sells less than 60k cars a year. How are they almost a 40 billion dollar company?

    I'm extremely baffled....they sell like 5k cars a month while Toyota sells almost one million. Also Nio outsources its manufacturing and doesn't even assemble it's own cars.

    Please explain how this isn't Luckin Coffee 2.0. I fear I'm going to Fomo in to this overvalued company. Is this really what happens when a bunch or noobies who don't understand market cap and only look at share price join the stock market?

    submitted by /u/Rhino4788
    [link] [comments]

    Zoom has grown +700% in the last 1 Year and +130% in the last 3 months . What other companies have shown similar growth?

    Posted: 17 Oct 2020 08:13 AM PDT

    Zoom has been a popular app during the time of pandemic. It was almost heard universally in all news channels and in our official calls. The moment it came in pop culture it started sky rocketing in the stock market. What other companies are you hearing which have done similar results or might replicate that growth?

    submitted by /u/anotherRedditor2020
    [link] [comments]

    Why are analysts so influential?

    Posted: 17 Oct 2020 05:51 PM PDT

    Very often we see changes in prices because analysts upgraded XYZ stock to a buy, or because the company beat the predicted earnings (with no further regard to actual growth over year etc). Why is this exactly? Why has the market placed such importance on these analysts? I would like to ignore them, but it's hard to trade without them influencing something. How do you process their opinions and predictions?

    submitted by /u/dankwich
    [link] [comments]

    ETFs missing from Degiro

    Posted: 18 Oct 2020 12:36 AM PDT

    Hi all, fair warning I'm an investing noob.

    I recently opened a Degiro account and bought some ETFs. I'm looking at investing in some others, but the ones I'm looking for dont show up on the listings. Does Degiro simply not sell them in that case?

    Might be a stupid question, but should I just open a second account with a different broker that does sell them? Any thoughts would be great, thanks.

    submitted by /u/conormcel123
    [link] [comments]

    Investing in less accessible countries

    Posted: 17 Oct 2020 07:15 PM PDT

    Hi, looking to expand outside emerging market stocks. What are some of the best ways to invest into less accessible markets? In this case the new Pakistan Stock Exchange in particular. It would be great to have a way to easily invest in any country.

    I use Interactive Brokers but they don't support all countries.

    submitted by /u/offcoloroncolor
    [link] [comments]

    Thoughts on BRK.B as a substitute for ETFs?

    Posted: 18 Oct 2020 03:29 AM PDT

    I would ideally like to have a good chunk of my portfolio in ETFs but my country's tax policy for ETFs is significantly harsher than it is for regular stocks. After accounting for inflation, I think there wouldn't be much gains to be seen. So I'm currently looking into holdings companies, especially BRK.B. However their portfolio doesn't seem that diverse - almost 50% Apple and a load of banks. Do you think they'll rebalance that any time soon? Plus there's the inevitability of Buffet dying within the next few years, and his reputation seems to be priced in - the stock costs a lot more than its net asset value would be if it was a mutual fund.

    submitted by /u/DispassionateObs
    [link] [comments]

    Stockopedia v Finbox v Screener.co

    Posted: 18 Oct 2020 03:26 AM PDT

    Hi

    Looking to subscribe to a stock screener with reliable data on global markets and wanted to get peoples opinions who have used all three of these or at least two of them. I do use another screener but because it uses free data, there can sometimes be significant errors. Important points required and a high level comparison below based on my initial impressions:

    • Price (Screener.co is very good value and much cheaper than the other two. Finbox in the middle and Stockopedia most expensive -Multiple fundamental value metrics and scores (eg pEG, price to sales, Piotroski) (All 3 are probably fine on this count)
    • ability to create custom ratios from the UI (screener.co is very customisable in that you can create custom formulas. Not sure about the others)
    • Technical metrics e.g. Sma, relative strength etc (Screener.co only has price change over a defined period)
    • Charts (Screener.co doesn't do this)
    • Excellent graphical UI which saves time by visually highlighting things (with the ability to see on a graph how different metrics for each stock have evolved over the last 5 years e.g. Earnings, ROE, PE ratio, sales etc. and how these stand relative to the stocks own history and ideally vs the market) - Screener.co much cheaper but can't do this. -Famous investor screen (Stockopedia probably best for this and screener.co I think doesn't have this)
    • Comparison between the stocks metrics and that of competitors and general market (again graphically) - again Screener.co can't do graphics
    • Ability to create watch lists that allow easy comparability of hundreds of stocks globally
    • Institutional quality data (all 3 screeners have reuter, s and p data so good)
    • Global markets data (Stockopedia more expensive than Finbox and Screener in this respect)
    submitted by /u/zikka1
    [link] [comments]

    Favourite European ETFs?

    Posted: 18 Oct 2020 02:43 AM PDT

    Hi all, investing noob from Ireland here. I've recently opened a Degiro account and afterwards learned that American ETFs are not available in Europe. What are some solid dividend stocks or dividend ETFs available in Europe? My plan is to invest money every month over the long term and reinvest dividends regularly.

    submitted by /u/conormcel123
    [link] [comments]

    How to short government bonds as retail investor (USA, Japan)

    Posted: 18 Oct 2020 02:06 AM PDT

    How to short government bonds as retail investor (USA, Japan)

    I'd like to short bonds but on my platform (eToro) this is not possible. Do you know if this is possible to do by retail (private) investors , or not at all? And if so, where?

    Is it possible on any other major platform like Robin Hood, or interactive brokers? I'm based in Europe by the way

    submitted by /u/fainarufantaji8
    [link] [comments]

    Bloomberg, Barron's, or Financial Times?

    Posted: 17 Oct 2020 07:23 AM PDT

    As a new professional in the finance industry, I've heard that Bloomberg, Barron's, or Financial Times are the most reliable/reputable newssources to go by? If you prefer one over the others, why? I'm trying to decide which would be the best subscription to purchase (out of my own pocket)

    submitted by /u/Matthew_Zao
    [link] [comments]

    The 3 key debates of our era

    Posted: 18 Oct 2020 12:40 AM PDT

    As I see it 3 core debates going on right now:

    1. The exact impact of private investors on the stock market & valuations (e.g. as exemplified here https://www.cnbc.com/2020/10/15/smead-nightmare-us-stock-valuations-driven-by-young-dumb-investors.html)
    2. The threat posed by passive investing which is valuation-blind
    3. The prospect of an inflationary mega trend that will end FAAMG etc like the Nifty Fifty era from massive injections of money re Covid

    Which if any do you consider a risk and why?

    submitted by /u/willbankmove37
    [link] [comments]

    How to Buy China A Shares ?

    Posted: 17 Oct 2020 11:54 PM PDT

    Has anyone in the US that's not an institutional investor purchased china - A shares before?

    I see here that foreigners can purchase but the process isn't clear and who's eligible.

    https://www.ubs.com/global/en/asset-management/insights/china/2019/stock-connect-china-a-shares-faqs-equity-investing.html

    Has anyone done this before? Whats the process involved, are there any requirements to be eligible, what's the tax liability here, how liquid are these.

    Seems like a better alternative to ETDs as it carries no fees, but I could be misinterpreting some details. NAL.

    Mostly want to get some Ant Group and Chinese Battery companies. Any ideas here?

    submitted by /u/whiteoak_and_doubles
    [link] [comments]

    Concerned and confused about retirement, IRA, gold & Edward Jones...

    Posted: 17 Oct 2020 11:32 PM PDT

    Hello I have a retirement IRA account with my local Edward Jones. Just always have. Did not do much research, but it was close by, I like the FA, and has always worked for me. I also understand this has been a long bull market, so most any FA would have probably done a fine job. Lately I have heard that we may be in for some serious economic concerns in the future, but I don't know diddly squat about finance. It seems that most anywhere I look online, and while listening to anyone who knows about finances all seem to agree and be adamant about the importance of owning gold and precious metals in the upcoming market (and possible global economic shifts). Even the White House's own economic advisor said on a recent interview, "Yes. You DEFINITELY want to have gold in your portfolio." Then you've got many experts, as well as firms memos to their investors, talking about how this could be much worse than most people realize, that they should adjust accordingly and possibly brace for impact (some seem to believe it may be a more gradual process, but still concerned about inflation/deflation/lost decade of the markets/etc).When I ask my Edward Jones advisor about the economic outlook and financial situations, he tells me that I am fine, no changes need to be made, and that I will be well and good into my 90's just doing what I am doing (I am in my 70's). When I asked about gold he said "No, definitely not." When I asked about bitcoin as a hedge he said "No, definitely not." despite multiple articles in Bloomberg, Forbes, etc. saying bitcoin is the best hedge against inflation and gold is the best safety net and store of wealth. I lack enough financial knowledge to have questioned my advisor on this so I took him at his word and that was th

    at.

    I began to do some research into Edward Jones and it seems they are not fiduciary, and don't necessarily have to act in their client's best interest, but instead use loaded mutual funds, for which they profit. Further research says that the traditional 60/40 portfolio is dead, which I assume is what I am on, as it seems to be the cookie-cutter approach that E.J. uses. And further research still, on their website, states "We recommend long-term investors stay away from gold and precious metals (altogether)". Also have found that Edward Jones has had issues with the SEC for not being fiduciary.

    Is it possible that they are not recommending gold because they do not profit on it as they would selling me their American Funds? Am I right to be concerned about my financial security here? Or is he probably right and my 60/40 portfolio is on the right track for a nice, well-deserved retirement? Any and all information pertaining to my current situation, as well as how it pertains to the future market is greatly appreciated. I am retired so my entire retirement is quite literally on the line here. Thank you all kindly.

    submitted by /u/theyoungestoldguy
    [link] [comments]

    Question on Authorized and Outstanding Shares

    Posted: 17 Oct 2020 10:23 PM PDT

    I thought I had a pretty solid understanding of outstanding shares but got confused again when I was reading an article. Let's say a company is 100% self-owned among partners. It wants to raise capital and decides to sell 49% as stock, with let's say 4,900,000 shares. 10% is bought up by institutional investors, and the rest is retail investors. How many shares here are outstanding, and how many are authorized? Is the 51% owned by the company part of authorized shares that haven't been issued, and the 49% being the total shares outstanding?

    submitted by /u/olympic_gem
    [link] [comments]

    SPCE speculation.

    Posted: 17 Oct 2020 09:41 PM PDT

    If these upcoming tests are successful and Branson is successfully launched by next April I have heard people saying anywhere from $50-$100 a share. Is that to optimistic? I believe the demand for his flights is there at a reasonable price. I could see 27 just after the tests for sure.

    submitted by /u/Bmcronin
    [link] [comments]

    How do you value a late stage pre IPO company (Risky?)

    Posted: 17 Oct 2020 09:34 PM PDT

    I've been considering investing in a company which just announced they are going to be filing for IPO I think it will go through sometime in the coming year. I absolutely see this company everywhere and I love the idea of it. I want to get in on this early (not really early I guess but I never knew you could buy private shares before looking into this) but I'm not sure even if I value this correctly through financials I still could get screwed over, correct? For example if I buy in pre IPO and it's valued at 5b or something and then it IPOS at 3b I basically hurt myself by trying to get in early?

    TLDR: Great company I really like but I want to get in early before it goes to IPO due to tech IPOS being super inflated and just moronic (snowflake), is this basically gambling on what it will be valued at on IPO day?

    submitted by /u/PersonalGuhTolerance
    [link] [comments]

    Where to get started

    Posted: 17 Oct 2020 08:31 PM PDT

    I make a lot of money (relatively for my age). What are some good resources to get started on these shenanigans? I currently have no savings, no 401k, etc.. I usually have ~$2.5-3k extra per month and would like to start building up for my retirement and things. I'm also concerned that it's a bad time to start with the election coming in a few weeks, it's going to introduce a lot of volatility, right?

    submitted by /u/Murlock_Holmes
    [link] [comments]

    Mobile home parks VS. Multifamily syndications?

    Posted: 17 Oct 2020 02:27 PM PDT

    I'm evaluating a lot of private offerings either deal by deal or fund models and I've recently been seeing some attractive looking returns in the mobile home park space. The concept of tenant owned homes having low turnover, less capex/payroll/insurance burden, makes this space especially attractive. It seems like multifamily deals are getting tighter and tighter, while the MHP space still seems to offer some quality returns.. thoughts?

    submitted by /u/machinebuilding
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone own farmland or timberland that you don't work? From afar?

    Posted: 17 Oct 2020 04:37 PM PDT

    Title kind of says it all.
    There are some regions in which the tax incentives on relatively hands off timberland makes it an attractive investment, if you can hold of on harvest until the market is right. Mostly states in the south, surprisingly, which for me, would mean that I wouldn't want to live near them and actively manage. I don't want to move from the high Rockies, which aren't really good for anything, agriculturally.
    I was wondering if anyone has similar holdings, or maybe commodity farmland? If so, just how hands off is it, best case scenario and worst?
    Seemingly, one of the big risks is a change to taxation and land valuation which would make the land have to pay for itself fairly (Sorry, I know I'm an asshole, but there isnt really a better way to put it). I understand this is the stress of commodity cropland owners every time a new farm bill comes up.

    submitted by /u/luciform44
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment