• Breaking News

    Wednesday, June 10, 2020

    What do you do with a high level manager who gives their all and has given decades of immense sacrifice to your company but is no longer quite cutting it in terms of what your company needs? small business

    What do you do with a high level manager who gives their all and has given decades of immense sacrifice to your company but is no longer quite cutting it in terms of what your company needs? small business


    What do you do with a high level manager who gives their all and has given decades of immense sacrifice to your company but is no longer quite cutting it in terms of what your company needs?

    Posted: 09 Jun 2020 11:33 PM PDT

    On a human level and the message we send to staff, I just can't bring myself to fire this person. However, we do need new blood as this person is in a high level leadership position but is stunting us. This person is about 55 and I don't know what job they could get to replace their current one with current pay either.

    submitted by /u/burgeroburger
    [link] [comments]

    Own very small bakery, one of three staff likely has COVID-19 ��

    Posted: 09 Jun 2020 07:28 AM PDT

    I own a counter service bakery (Open since Oct 2019) in a small community that produces breads and other baked goods. Throughout the pandemic, we've been open- got slammed for two weeks when the big box stores were out of bread, took a week off to mentally recover, and were open for curbside/delivery up until a couple of weeks ago, when we opened back up to pretty much normal operations. We dont have any seating and usually only have one or two customers in at a time. FOH staff have been wearing masks when checking folks out, and we've taken other recommended precautions.

    Long story short, one of my employees presented with COVID symptoms Saturday (6/6) and texted me about it. All of the staff had worked together Friday to get ready for the local farmers market Saturday. My sick employee's symptoms got worse over the weekend, and I found out her partner had a fever earlier in the week, and her grandparents were both admitted to the hospital Sunday, one is on a ventilator. They've all been tested but haven't gotten results. As of this morning my employee is in the hospital receiving fluids, a chest xray, and other tests (flu, strep, lab work).

    I decided to go ahead and close the shop for the next couple of weeks. My husband (co-owner) and I are both going to get tested this week, and I've asked that my other employee get tested too. Luckily I got both the PPP and the EIDL loan, so I can pay my employees for hours they would have worked. But I'm just like... in crisis management mode. I made a post on the business SM pages, not wanting to alarm my customers but feeling ethically responsible to be transparent and upfront with them, because this is a small town and folks talk, so if they didn't find out from me, they'd hear it from somewhere else and then I could lose precious trust I've built with them over the last few months.

    I just don't know what the fuck to do and I'm worried about all. The. Things. Mine and my families health (I have a 3YO), my employee's health, the reputation of the business, losing customers, etc. Up to this point, our business has taken a slight dip from projected revenue over the past few weeks but nothing like the restaurants and retail shops have, and it was picking back up so I feel lucky, but I'm deeply worried that this won't be the last time we'll have to shut down, that the govt might force closures again and we have to revert to curbside pickup (which is where most of our revenue was lost, folks like to come in to the shop and get the experience), and just overall that I might be fucked and just don't know it yet. Ok I'm done.

    submitted by /u/sourdoughgirl
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for a payments processing and payroll platform (commission based)

    Posted: 10 Jun 2020 02:06 AM PDT

    I run a business strictly with contractors based on commission. I collect payment from the customers and give a percentage to the contractor.

    I've so far looked at square and it does everything except commission tracking. I send an invoice to a customer, they pay it, and I have to manually enter in the amount the contractors get. There's no way to assign the invoice to the contractor automatically. I have to do it all in another spreadsheet and have to manually enter in the amount each contractor gets from commission.

    Any other suggestions?

    submitted by /u/sq_lp
    [link] [comments]

    My mother owns a business and needs a new car, I heard about LLC and tax deductions but not very familiar with any of it, any advice would be very helpful!

    Posted: 09 Jun 2020 04:01 PM PDT

    My mom drives a 2006 explorer with almost 200,000 miles on it. Our local car repair shop told her to consider getting a new car soon. She repairs it a lot and I always tell her to buy a new car but she says she doesn't want to pay so much for it. I heard from a friend that vehicle expenses can be deducted while it is used for work purposes. My mother drives almost strictly just for work, we are in the food industry and she's always up early in the morning to get groceries before heading in to work. My question is how the process works buying a car under the company instead of doing it as personal and the benefits of doing so. Any help is appreciated!

    submitted by /u/Apisit100
    [link] [comments]

    Where or how can i make a food take away 3 fold flyer?

    Posted: 10 Jun 2020 02:33 AM PDT

    I have a small food business and during the covid lock down i managed to set up my website where people can order.

    But i also need some folders/flyers which i can put down for customers to take home or to office.

    I tried using excel, publisher but in the end.... I suck at designing. It looks horrible. In the past i let someone make one for me through a site which i forgot about but they used photoshop/ai files and i dont have photoshop so i cant edit it.

    Any pointers to where i should be looking?

    submitted by /u/Snoo77901
    [link] [comments]

    Business sale during COVID

    Posted: 09 Jun 2020 10:41 PM PDT

    I got a PPP loan and will be using it for payroll and rent for next 24 weeks. The business is a franchise. A fellow franchisee approached me last week to sell my business to him. I am considering his offer. I tried to read through my PPP application and there does not seem to be any stipulations that forbid a business transfer while I'm going through the PPP funds. I still intend to use the funds for payroll.

    I imagine this will be an issue especially for many businesses if the forgiveness is stretched out to 6 months. I would imagine during this period, at least some businesses with PPP funds would have to entertain a sale of their business. If I were to sell my business, I would do it in the form of a stock sale so that the new owner owns 100% of my current LLC (for which the loan was approved) and can continue to use the funds for payroll and request forgiveness within 24 weeks. Does anyone have any visibility or guidance on this issue?

    submitted by /u/DorethaNickel
    [link] [comments]

    Employee using personal email for sales

    Posted: 10 Jun 2020 04:01 AM PDT

    I've noticed one of my Sales staff using his personal email to communicate with customers rather than use his work email.

    This seams concerning and I feel I should ask the employee why he is doing that?

    Any opinions?

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/celoman
    [link] [comments]

    Need some guidance in hiring admin/operations role

    Posted: 09 Jun 2020 09:39 PM PDT

    Hey all, would appreciate any assistance anyone can offer with my growth problem.

    I've had some trouble in the past filling a key position on my team to help manage finance, payroll, and other administrative work. Recently I outsourced lots of the finance job and that has worked extremely well. However im finding my own responsibilities in relation to coordinating and overseeing finance, while taking on some more responsibilities myself (payroll, benefits, etc), are taking up too much of my time.

    I'm not sure what I need but I know I need something. Essentially I'd like these responsibilities to fall in someone else's hands so I can get back to selling and strategy:

    • payoll
    • benefits
    • admin work
    • expenses
    • collections
    • and lots of other things I don't want to do myself

    What am I looking for? I feel like it could run the gamut from controller to admin assistant. What have others done at this point?

    I run a 30 person marketing firm for additional context.

    submitted by /u/lcdfanyeahman
    [link] [comments]

    Google domain and WordPress ... ?

    Posted: 09 Jun 2020 06:38 PM PDT

    I set up my domain though Google and am looking to get started with a website, since Google sites sucks. I've decided to go with WordPress but looks like it may be more cumbersome than I though to set up a site with a 3rd party domain like Google.

    Does anyone have any experience with this? Or recommend a different website builder for a Google domain? I'm having trouble even setting up a WordPress site because they want to create a new domain right off the bat instead of using an existing one.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/BAMFWELD
    [link] [comments]

    Thinking about starting a small online side hustle

    Posted: 10 Jun 2020 01:58 AM PDT

    What's the best site to create a website on? Wix? When selling items via an online website/page, how do you choose to advertise to your specific audience? Facebook? If you're making products, how do you price your items fairly for yourself as well as the customers? Especially if the products are a handmade craft etc.

    submitted by /u/sm00thwhisk3y
    [link] [comments]

    Main Street Lending Program

    Posted: 10 Jun 2020 01:49 AM PDT

    I understand that the fed has launched and is accepting applications from banks. I had two lenders, one is opting out for now and the other wants significant assets Baking any lending they do and want to control funds only for specific project(construction business).

    Does anyone know of anybody who is up and going? I am looking for a mid sized property loan and will open up a cash account for my business that would be double the 5% of the bank exposure.

    Let me know if anyone knows of some company using MSLP or even bankers direct are welcome to message me on what you are offering.

    Thanks! Austin Austin

    submitted by /u/Austinvans
    [link] [comments]

    Email “Routing”/Processing Strategy - What’s yours?

    Posted: 09 Jun 2020 07:25 PM PDT

    Have a smaller sales/customer service team that handles all the pre and post sales related things.

    How is your email organization/flow set up for your team? Do you have a "common" (info@, sales@) email, or let things go to everyone direct (and forward/cc accordingly)?

    What's your strategies for handling this?

    submitted by /u/rennsport13
    [link] [comments]

    How can I help my buddy?

    Posted: 09 Jun 2020 08:18 PM PDT

    My buddy has a contracting company and he literally knows how to do everything. He's asked me to help on the marketing side of things. He's been at it for about 2 years now and is starting to get a lot of customers. Whats the best way for me to market his services? I'm not taking a salary, just helping a friend out. My cousin suggested mailchimp for starters. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

    submitted by /u/100110110011001
    [link] [comments]

    Thoughts on exiting my business.

    Posted: 09 Jun 2020 08:36 AM PDT

    All, I have run a small service business (window cleaning and pressure washing) in my mid-size metro for the last decade. I started it from scratch, and it has grown to the point of providing me an above average salary for the area I live in. It's an LLC that I've both scaled up with employees and streamlined as a sole prop. In both situations, my salary was the same (around $60K after expenses).

    Five years ago I got an itch to pursue a dream, and I went back to get a college degree in human physiology. One thing led to another, I found a passion, and I have ultimately been accepted to medical school scheduled to begin in two months.

    I managed the business throughout the journey. First I scaled up and used employees. Then, as graduation neared and med school application season began, two long time employees moved. I chose to streamline to preserve profitability and flexibility.

    While I am beyond excited about the future, I'm sad to see my business die. I will have zero capacity to maintain it while in school, and I appreciate that the last few years I focused on getting into medical school instead of building a business that could survive without me. At the end of the day, there are so many hours in the day, right? I had to make choices.

    Over the last few years, I've had a number of conversations with interested buyers. None of these panned out. Some of them were people like me, who could have benefitEd from their own business. But none of them were willing to take the risk of being self employed. Other conversations were with competitors that I respect. The general consensus from them has been that they can increase marketing and grow $100K in sales without taking on my business. I never put a price on it, I simply asked them what it would be worth to them. I've had zero takers.

    At this point, I don't have the time or bandwidth to try to hire and train a crew to run it, and while the technical work is straightforward, you all know the real trick of a service business is managing the schedule and customer relationships. I won't be able to do either in medical school.

    Thus, I feel that I am faced with simply closing the doors, shutting off the lights, and telling 4-500 customers, "So long and thank you." Again, this isn't the end of the world. It has provided better for me than any job I could have ever had, it paid my way through school, and I believe it was the business that taught me the maturity and work ethic that will serve me as a doctor. Plus, I'm getting to pursue a dream I never thought I would have. All thanks to this little business.

    I know it's worth so much more than nothing. But I'm out of time and seemingly out of options. I'm just curious to hear the thoughts of the community. Maybe something that I haven't thought of, or maybe just something to put my mind to rest.

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/can-i-be-real
    [link] [comments]

    Small business from home

    Posted: 09 Jun 2020 06:11 PM PDT

    I was thinking on operating a small cake business from my home in Ontario if things keep up with my work due to Covid. I was wondering if there are any benefits or incentives if I was to bring on between 5 to 7 k a year ? I guess I would need to register a business and get a Gst number. Any input would help thanks

    submitted by /u/Danoteabagged
    [link] [comments]

    Entertainment businesses

    Posted: 09 Jun 2020 06:13 AM PDT

    I have a few questions to all owners of entertainment businesses - and maybe this applies to most consumer focused businesses. But I'm thinking escape rooms, indoor amusement, trampoline parks, etc - I currently run one that's in a state that is closed down. I hope to open back up by July.

    1) What type of business do you own? 2) How do you see the pandemic affecting your business? 3) If you are in a state that already opened - what is your traffic like? 4) Any tips on having a successful reopening?

    submitted by /u/serutcurts
    [link] [comments]

    How best to follow up with seasonal customer base?

    Posted: 09 Jun 2020 05:02 PM PDT

    I run a small business who's customer base is seasonal.

    I'm looking for ideas on how best to follow up with them ie: what to ask so that I can use that info to improve my company

    submitted by /u/50ShadesOfPalmBay
    [link] [comments]

    Eyelash wholesale prices

    Posted: 09 Jun 2020 08:25 PM PDT

    Hi everyone,

    Getting ready to launch my 3D mink strip lashes brand. I'm looking to see what should be my wholesale price for retailers ?

    Can anyone help?

    submitted by /u/snacksforstacks
    [link] [comments]

    Product Mailer Boxes?

    Posted: 09 Jun 2020 02:07 PM PDT

    Where are you getting yours from? Uline seems to have the largest/cheapest, but wondering if I am missing some other good names.

    Looking for various sizes of white shipping/mailer boxes, willing to buy 200-500+ at a time to save costs.

    submitted by /u/mirinjesse
    [link] [comments]

    Name idea for a cleaning business?

    Posted: 09 Jun 2020 01:56 PM PDT

    Hey guys! I am looking for a name for my cleaning business. Do you have any idea what is unique and maybe eyes catching for this. I would like to work for businesses. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/blzs15
    [link] [comments]

    When re-adding employees on quickbooks after temporary layoff, do i post covid as hire date, or original date? Canada if that matters.

    Posted: 09 Jun 2020 07:51 PM PDT

    Not sure which to do....

    I assume the rehired date, so the ROE and such will be accurate? Will that affect anything though if something thinks the employee only is working with us for 1 week instead of like 3 years?

    submitted by /u/ohnoimrunningoutofsp
    [link] [comments]

    Brother will start a small business soon, and I will be the manager!

    Posted: 09 Jun 2020 07:48 PM PDT

    My brother decided to invest his money in a shop to sell Turkey meat with a small place to prepare sandwiches for clients. The place he chose is actually good with not so many yet enough people around, it's a more or less new residency in the city so it's just starting to get more popular by people. There's the advantage of having a big brand's factory near there so I will be able to have costumers from that same factory and add to that the residents.

    I am in my early 20's and I really want to take the risk to make this work and my brother trusts me to make it work. I have a degree in hospitality management, so I have more or less ideas on how to manage a small restaurant. But I'm pretty much inexperienced and I would like any advices from anyone who started any business. Any advice would be of help!

    submitted by /u/Unknown-chan
    [link] [comments]

    I will build a financial forecasting model and reporting tool for your existing business (3-5 years forward looking w/income statement, balance sheet and cash flow statement + supplementary analyses based on available data) for free.

    Posted: 09 Jun 2020 11:03 AM PDT

    Hey guys. I am a former investment banker (bulge bracket, leveraged finance group, industry generalist) and private equity investor (tech-enabled services, SaaS, digital media, add-on M&A focused) with 5+ years experience. I'm looking for some new projects to take on during quarantine and to meet some interesting people/businesses. I love building dynamic financial models that management teams can use to accurately forecast business, with reporting capabilities to benchmark against actual results/perform analysis to drive operational insights.

    This offer is more geared towards existing businesses with readily available accounting data, but hey I'm open to looking at anything so don't be afraid to reach out! Also willing to sign an NDA where applicable.

    Please shoot me a note or ask any questions if interested! I look forward to getting acquainted. I don't want to post my email here, but would prefer we switch communication to email once we get to talking.

    submitted by /u/spaceboundbanker
    [link] [comments]

    Why would a small business keep chancing name?

    Posted: 09 Jun 2020 03:03 PM PDT

    Not sure if this is the best place to put this but are any of you aware for what reasons a small night life company would change their name multiple times?

    I do some work for them to a certain extent but not really close with them.

    One theory is they may be hiding or running from something or bad reviews but what could the legit reasons be?

    submitted by /u/izwoke
    [link] [comments]

    Starting a Hemp Business in Wisconsin

    Posted: 09 Jun 2020 06:42 PM PDT

    So I know it's probably not a good idea to start in this field, but I have a solid plan of action from starting the business to an exit strategy. My biggest problem is trying to read through all of the laws regarding growing, processing, and distributing hemp based products and what all the licenses I need for it are.

    I've already submitted my LLC application and just sent out my application to be approved for processing hemp in the state. I haven't been approved, but once I do I'm not sure what else is needed to ensure I can legally start supplying stores nearby.

    Do they need to inspect the commercial property? Are there only certain zones and cities I can process hemp in? Do I need another liscense to be able to distribute? Does it have to be tested within the state, or can another facility provide the cannabinoid content? Are there tax deductions if I associate my business with a local college or educational facility? What are my next steps once I am approved?

    Any information is appreciated. The costs so far have been quite substantial, and all the quotes I've gotten for lawyers are exponentially higher as soon as I mention it's a hemp business. I can't afford a top dollar lawyer for a small business without any sales in the immediate future.

    submitted by /u/thecircledelta8
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment