• Breaking News

    Thursday, June 4, 2020

    Startups Wednesday Social Club - Share What Events You Are Attending This Coming Week

    Startups Wednesday Social Club - Share What Events You Are Attending This Coming Week


    Wednesday Social Club - Share What Events You Are Attending This Coming Week

    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 06:06 AM PDT

    Welcome to this week's Social Club thread.

    Share what events and meetups you are going to so we can discover new ways to be social together offline and help grow your local community.

    Focus on sharing events that are happening within the next 7 days of this date of this submission. Anything that falls outside of 10 days will be removed, no exceptions.

    No duplicate posts. If you happen to be attending an event that is already posted, leave a comment to inform the community that you will also be there.

    If you are hoping to organize something on your own, outside of an existing event, feel free to use this thread to rally some people together to meet up.

    Please use the following format to share an event:

    Event Name and URL: Location: Event Date: Event Time: Event Description: Event Cost: Discount Code: [if applicable]

    Please use the following format to organize people to meet up together:

    Location: Purpose of getting together: Suggested Places to meet up:

    You can also find more support using instant chat on the /r/startups discord.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Pre-Startup question - Built an app with my friend - Doesn't do a lot of work

    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 06:09 PM PDT

    Hello, I built an app with a friend of mine. I have written about 95% of the code and done most of the work. I want to file for an LLC soon, and honestly it would be great to just cut him out of the picture all together. The problem is, he did write a little bit of the code, as well as designed some of the logos for the application. How am I supposed to continue and create the business without this guy in the picture? If it helps, I also came up with the idea of the application, and no business paperwork has been filed/made.

    submitted by /u/ChiefMalone
    [link] [comments]

    How to find mentors for people leadership

    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 10:55 AM PDT

    How do y'all find mentors to help you with your leadership skills and management? Is it something that is required to become a great manager eventually? I really want to grow and become a manager that is effective and empathetic at the same time, and would be grateful for any suggestions/tips coming from experience. Thanks!

    I created a post earlier but it it didn't get noticed much, so trying again.

    submitted by /u/humanager
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for a tool that enables a cut/commission

    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 06:55 PM PDT

    Hi there,

    I'm a marketer looking for a tool I can integrate easily between my site and my clients, that enables them to pay me based on a cut rather than an hourly rate. I want to be able to set this up for selected clients and control the cookie time (with agreement from them) myself, rather than sifting through affiliate programs looking for something to sell.

    Does anyone have experience with setting something like this up? Can you recommend a tool?

    submitted by /u/Clearlymynamerocks
    [link] [comments]

    I have a question about supplier.

    Posted: 04 Jun 2020 02:07 AM PDT

    Dear startup members,

    I'm starting my first ever business. But I'm struggling to find cheap containers I.e. bottles with my personal logo. I know that they won't exactly be cheap but my budget is small. So, cheaper the better. If anyone can direct me, that would be much appreciated.

    Many thanks, Michael.

    submitted by /u/Pure_Lion_Star
    [link] [comments]

    Chicken or Egg dilemma: Do I build my product for businesses first or consumers first?

    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 04:16 PM PDT

    I'm building a restaurant loyalty app that fundamentally suffers from the "cold-start problem". In order for restaurants to find value in my platform and sign up, I need a large enough local user base. Likewise, in order for users to actually earn loyalty, I need restaurants on it. Also, my idea isn't a typical loyalty app, there is a social component to it, which makes this cold-start problem even more fatal because I need user-generated content to offer any sort of value.

    My current hunch is to first target a small food localized area, then offer free trials to restaurant owners prior launch that starts at launch, then maybe encourage them to offer bonus to their customers for a month, all the while simultaneously promoting the product to local users telling them join my beta.

    My problem is I can envision what the product will be and what it will look like after I gain critical mass, but I'm struggling to see how I gain even the slightest bit of mass.

    I guess my main question is this:

    How do I go about tackling this problem when it's time to launch?

    Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/nicebrah
    [link] [comments]

    What business entity is the best?

    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 10:51 AM PDT

    I am in the early stages of starting a business with a good friend and we are trying to decide what business entity to choose. I am leaning towards an LLC due to the flexibility of management of the business (less requirements needing to be met) and to avoid the possible double taxation that comes with a c-corp. However, we will need to raise funds and to do this we will most likely need to offer a stake in the the company. Also, our end goal is to eventually be acquired. From what I have been told, if you are going to sell shares of your company or plan to be acquired than a corporation is the way to go.

    What business entity would be best for a small business with goals to become acquired and what are the pros and cons of that entity?

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/congotree30
    [link] [comments]

    How replaceable are developers on a MERN stack?

    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 06:18 PM PDT

    Hi,

    I'm a product manager learning the craft. Coming from UI/UX design background.

    I'm currently building a couple of products with developers who've chosen the MERN stack. My question is about "replaceability" — how tied am I to a front end developer on the MERN stack and how tied am I to a back end developer on this stack?

    Which one am I closer tied to?

    When I say replacing someone, I'm wary of the cost of switching the developer who made the app/wrote the code with a new one:

    1. the time cost of finding them
    2. time cost of them going through the previous developer's code to understand what's going on there
    3. Money cost etc

    As far as I understood (correct me if I'm wrong please), the point of using the React framework is that it's all "modular" and that the cost of switching developers is lower. Would appreciate someone shedding some light on me!

    submitted by /u/chddaniel
    [link] [comments]

    Startup Location/Frugality tradeoff

    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 08:11 PM PDT

    I'm a recent college grad, and a startup founder, and have moved from my college to the Silicon Valley, and am renting an Airbnb until I find a good apartment to rent where I can hack. Paul Graham writes in his "How to Start a Startup" essay that if he had to again, he'll start a startup:

     in Palo Alto on University or California Aves; and in Berkeley immediately north or south of campus. 

    Apartments on University and California Aves are so expensive but they are meant to have the "right kind of vibe". What should I do, pay a premium for the vibe, or spend as little money as possible even if that entails that the vibe isn't completely there?

    submitted by /u/prikshet
    [link] [comments]

    Open source booking system for integrating with existing app ?

    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 02:34 PM PDT

    I am building this web app which will have 2 roles. One of the roles shall be able to book the other based on his/her availability. Since building a booking system is an app of its own, I am looking for an open source booking system which I could integrate with my existing app(and have everything under one application), one which preferably have the ability to be connected with Stripe.

    Any suggestions , recommendations ?

    submitted by /u/ape0
    [link] [comments]

    Is a good enough business plan able to compensate for a horrible credit score?

    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 02:32 PM PDT

    Im desperately trying to seek funding for my business. I have been working on it for years. I know this next level of funding will be the tipping point to legitamize the business. In the past Ive had income but wasnt solely focused on it due to multiple jobs. Since corons Ive had time to reflect on what the business needs to cross the threshold to make the business a full time endeavor. However funding has been hard to come by because my credit score was destroyed before I even graduate so Im screwed there. Havent ever received a loan nor credit card. I have a very conservative model of the market and its extremely sustainable within a year. I already have all the supplies, buyers, experience and my expenses are dirt cheap my only bottleneck is infrastructure. Any ideas on how to acheive 10-20k?

    submitted by /u/Shizzlenargyfarf
    [link] [comments]

    Hiring Foreign (College) Students For Internships?

    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 01:56 PM PDT

    Hey Folks,

    Bootstrapping startup that got partnered with a technology University. THey say many of their students are foreign and want to know if we accept foreign students for interns -- We have no idea if we can, and we've been searching, but theres not much insight. We're paying them a stipend, and want to know the quick "Good to know's" about this. Anyone have insight?

    submitted by /u/NaloxoneExchange
    [link] [comments]

    Final round interview with COO and Head of Ops. Any advice appreciated?

    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 09:01 AM PDT

    As the question suggests, I have a final round (of 4) interview this week with the COO and Head of Ops. The position is for Operations Associate. The previous stages were a phone screen, a competency/behavioural interview and a case study interview.

    The two people running the interviews so far have been the Senior Ops Manager and Project Manager (who would be my line managers). I asked them what to expect and they said it would be a cultural fit interview and should have much (if anything) in the way of behavioural questions - but they didn't seem sure.

    Some further context - I have strong experience for the role, having worked as a Junior Operations Manager at a FANG company and feel I have done well through the rounds so far. (I do not want to leave my guard down, though). I left my previous role prior to Covid-19 (December 2019) and have been out of work for 6 months. This is on the lower end of my expectations in terms of responsibilities and pay, but I am most concerned about gaining experience in a tech start up because the work sounds incredibly interesting and has been a goal of mine for a while.

    The company has ~ 80 people, 2020 Series A of £12Mil.

    I'd be really keen to hear any advice on what I might expect in this round. What kinds of things do you think these two people are going to want to understand about me? Do you have any thoughts on how I should prepare? I'd be super grateful for any advice as Corona Virus has scuppered my plans and I really want to make the most of this opportunity.

    Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/jbspesh
    [link] [comments]

    Percentage of fundraising used for new hires?

    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 12:04 PM PDT

    I'm trying to find a report on what percentage of early rounds (Seed and A) are used, on average, for new hires. I don't mean founder salaries. But for example, if you raised a $500K Seed round, how much would be used to hire/staff up?

    I'm striking out finding a clear data point to identify some kind of average. Does anyone on this subreddit have an idea of that average percentage or where I could look?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/MrJeffdude
    [link] [comments]

    How to Determine Business Valuation to Pitch to Investors?

    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 09:41 AM PDT

    Hey guys,

    I know there are a ton of different answers and variables to this question. But I am just trying to come up with a general idea to work to find an appropriate valuation for my company. What is the best and most common way to do this? A multiple of profit? A multiple of revenue?

    For additional information, my business in the Sports industry - Baseball College Recruiting.

    Last year revenue is roughly 185k and profit roughly 63k. Growth is roughly 10-15% yearly at the moment. What is the best way to come up with a valuation number based on this?

    submitted by /u/TrentJComedy
    [link] [comments]

    How do you validate an idea without potentially getting it stolen?

    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 07:29 AM PDT

    So I have an app idea that I am personally pretty excited about. But I don't know if it will be well recieved by a broader audience. I thought about creating a simple PoC and showing some people, but I am afraid of the idea getting stolen. What is the best way to validate the idea?

    submitted by /u/redset10
    [link] [comments]

    I created a newsletter for product managers and a landing page to see whether there is a demand for it. I got 20 signups in 3 days. Should I continue and send the first mail?

    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 05:16 AM PDT

    The main value proposition is there are almost no newsletter for us and this newsletter will be the 'Vogue of Product Managers'. I plan to keep it short (5 min. read every week) and make interviews with subscribers like 73 questions with Vogue. I also plan to send discounts on tools, updates, and tips. Any feedback?

    submitted by /u/sweetpotato31
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment