• Breaking News

    Sunday, June 7, 2020

    Startups Peer Support and Self Management Saturday’s - A Safe Place to Vent, Seek Emotional Support, Share Self Management Techniques and Experiences, or Just Rant

    Startups Peer Support and Self Management Saturday’s - A Safe Place to Vent, Seek Emotional Support, Share Self Management Techniques and Experiences, or Just Rant


    Peer Support and Self Management Saturday’s - A Safe Place to Vent, Seek Emotional Support, Share Self Management Techniques and Experiences, or Just Rant

    Posted: 06 Jun 2020 06:05 AM PDT

    Welcome to this week's Peer Support and Self Management Thread.

    This is a Safe Place to Vent, Seek Emotional Support, Share Self Management Techniques and Experiences, or Just Rant.

    The goal for this thread is to help one another manage mental and physical health so we can more easily find success.

    We all struggle sometimes and it is important to recognize that the struggle is part of the journey. The important thing is to learn how to overcome that adversity to grow and succeed.

    Be tactful and classy in how you vent your feelings and share your frustrations. Act in a mature manner.

    Ask questions, share experiences, and be there for one another. Practice empathy in giving advice and remember that what worked for you isn't guaranteed to work for others. Make suggestions, not demands of others.

    #Because this is meant to be a safe place to support emotional and physical health there is a zero tolerance policy in effect. Be KIND. Be sure to report any conduct that is in violation of that key tenet.

    You can also find more support using instant chat on the /r/startups discord.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    My thoughts from having reviewed thousands of pitch decks.

    Posted: 06 Jun 2020 06:04 PM PDT

    I'm in a fortunate position with my employer where I've spent the last 5 years reviewing pitch decks and hearing pitches from entrepreneurs all over the United States. Their ideas spanned biotech, SaaS, CPG, agtech, and more. The clients I've worked with have ranged from first time founders, Fortune 500 executives, and serial entrepreneurs. I've seen a lot of failures, some go sideways and fewer successes.

    Here's just some thoughts I've collected after having a slow weekend indoors to reflect.

    Build a business, not an invention

    I see this a lot with STEM or technical founders. They've finally managed to land on the calendar of a VC, and they waste the whole time talking about the technical ins and outs of how their awesome new invention is going to revolutionize the world. Unless the person listening to you also has that level of technical expertise, it's way over their head. VCs and investors understand business though. What's the business case? You may have found a huge problem and you'll solve it with your fancy new innovation, but what does it cost? What's your total addressable market? When will you hit profitability? If you don't come equipped with those answers, you're not getting anywhere

    Focus on "you", not "I"

    So many pitches end with something like, "If I just had the money, I can totally make this happen!" Notice that the statement has nothing in it for the investor. You're asking them for tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars, or millions. What's in it for them? Investors are not charities. Entrepreneurs often come to the pitch meeting thinking money is just going to rain from the sky if their pitch has just the right amount of buzz words and sweet promises of a future fantasy of becoming billionaires. An experienced investor is just going to roll their eyes at you.

    Put yourself in their shoes. What would you want to know if someone was asking you for that much money? Wouldn't you also want to know what's in it for you?

    Fundraising is a full time job.

    It can easily take a full year from you building your pitch deck to finalizing your investment. It can take a full work week to find investors, woo them, get them to sign, and then manage them after the investment to ensure you're maintaining good relations. On top of all of that, you as the CEO have to manage everything else about your business - sales, marketing, logistics, growth, etc. Especially in this economy, no one is handing out free money just because you think you've got God's gift to mankind in your business plan. Expect to hustle. Hard.

    Anyway, this post probably comes off as condescending. But I was a first time founder once too, and I wished someone just cut the BS and gave me this advice. Hope this is helpful to some of you, too.

    submitted by /u/Nomeii
    [link] [comments]

    Founders of super-awesome startups at any stage, if you can give ONE advice as per your experience to budding startups & founders, what will it be?

    Posted: 06 Jun 2020 10:05 AM PDT

    Hey everyone,

    I recently started working on a startup as a side project, while working full time for another firm.

    We recently launched Beta, & I followed & implemented super-awesome advice/suggestions from the fellow Redditors.

    Let's start a thread where you can put the most crucial advice based on your own personal experience.

    I am sure this will help a lot of budding startups.

    submitted by /u/JibranYousufJY
    [link] [comments]

    15 things founders should know before accepting funding from a corporate VC

    Posted: 07 Jun 2020 01:36 AM PDT

    More than $50 billion of corporate venture capital(CVC) was deployed in 2018 and new data indicates that nearly half of all venture rounds will include a corporate investor. The CVC trend is heating up and the need for founders and startup executives to stay informed is higher than ever.

    submitted by /u/jnrmasero
    [link] [comments]

    How do you handle multi-user (teams) signups?

    Posted: 06 Jun 2020 06:44 PM PDT

    Hey everyone,

    I have a SaaS that I'm building and everything is good for individual signups (using stripe for payment).

    However, early feedback is that I need to have the ability to sign up entire teams under a single license. For example, a user wants to sign up 9 other members on their team to the SaaS and just pay for it with one charge. Stripe makes is really easy to do this, but I'm wondering how to do this on the backend?

    Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/divulgingwords
    [link] [comments]

    How many of you put your startup launch plans on hold because of COVID?

    Posted: 06 Jun 2020 05:52 PM PDT

    I'm wondering if COVID has put the brakes on entrepreneurialism for the time being. Lots of successful startups have been started during the 2008 financial crisis like Instagram, Whatsapp, AirBnB, and Netflix's streaming service. But I'd like to hear your stories, too.

    submitted by /u/Nomeii
    [link] [comments]

    Upcounsel, local law group, or other online legal services.

    Posted: 06 Jun 2020 05:26 PM PDT

    I am in the process of filing for a trademark for a business name and the application was going smoothly but there are some parts that I am not sure exactly 100% and I don't want deal with redoing the application and paying the fee all over again for my own mistake.

    So I am considering hiring someone to do it for me or at least help me do it. I found someone on upcounsel I like but their proposal is a bit higher than I expected, close to $500 on top of the filing fee. Would it be cheaper to find someone local or is that the going rate to file the documents? Also, I have seen other online services claim they will do it for less than $100 but I am worried that it would be a waste or that they might mess up too. I have used legal zoom in the past and it was honestly a waste of time. But, I feel like I just need a little help, not $500 worth of help.

    What's your experiences and recommendations for trademark application? And would it be best to have logo and business name or is a business name sufficient. I will have logo eventually (hopefully soon) but don't want to lose the trademark.

    Thanks as always for the insight!

    submitted by /u/congotree30
    [link] [comments]

    Best tech startup communities to join in the bay area?

    Posted: 06 Jun 2020 06:10 PM PDT

    Hey everyone, wasn't sure which subreddit to write this on.

    I am starting to build my own tech product, and was wondering which circles/orgs I should join to meet other ambitious young entrepreneurs in tech?

    I currently work in tech, but most people have an employee mindset. It has been really hard meeting people who are driven to do their own business as tech life is cushy.

    I've looked at Renaissance Center, NASDAQ, and Chamber of Commerce, as well as a few meetups, but overwhelmed by the choices. Please help!

    submitted by /u/VSAngel
    [link] [comments]

    Advice for a Young Entrepreneur

    Posted: 06 Jun 2020 04:55 PM PDT

    I'm a 17 year old from the UK - in quarantine been researching ways to make money before I go to uni. Been getting into digital marketing, because it's quite interesting and also affiliate marketing. I'm sure almost everyone here is a lot more experienced / wise than I am right now, so I was wondering if there was any advice that I might be able to get?

    I don't have much to invest right now, but I've been making a lot of mistakes so I've been learning fast! Also, if you have any ideas of ways to increase my knowledge / skills that would be great! Thanks

    submitted by /u/dbains1
    [link] [comments]

    Data Strategy for Startups

    Posted: 06 Jun 2020 10:15 AM PDT

    I'm interested in knowing how important some of the group's startup founders have found a data strategy to be when pitching to venture capitalists/PEs/institutional investors. As the name implies, a data strategy is a plan for how your business will benefit from the data it collects in the course of operations. A data strategy also outlines how a business plans to store, secure, govern, and generally manage its data assets as well as how it plans to implement value-add data operations like machine learning (and maybe even third-party data sales).

    In my experience, this has become a deal-breaking question among investors. How are non-technical startups/startup founders handling this or is this something only I've experienced?

    submitted by /u/Sukk-up
    [link] [comments]

    What metrics (qualitative or quantitative) do you use to measure success?

    Posted: 06 Jun 2020 03:51 PM PDT

    Define success however you wish. I think this question is mostly directed at startups/career success but if you have thoughts on how this applies to life as well, I'd be interested in hearing it. The reason I ask this question is because I feel a lot of times people don't actually know how they would describe success and how well they're doing to get there even though they try to chase it.

    submitted by /u/_SadSupermarket
    [link] [comments]

    Sunday’s Success Stories - Celebrate Your Successes From the Past Week: Anything goes, none too small!

    Posted: 06 Jun 2020 06:05 AM PDT

    Welcome to this week's Sunday's Success Stories Thread.

    A lot of us get way too hung up on the destination and the fact that we are not there yet.

    It is important to take a moment to reflect on a great quote from Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., "The steps you take don't need to be big, they just need to take you in the right direction"- Jemma Simmons

    This is extremely relevant to all of us in this community. We should all be more aware of the successes we achieve every day that carry us closer to our goals.

    Celebrating these successes, no matter how small they are, allow us to stay motivated, focused, and happy while we struggle to achieve dreams of various sizes.

    The purpose of this thread is to share our successes from the week with one another and have something to celebrate together.

    So, let us know what successes you have achieved this week! Nothing is too small or insignificant!

    #Because this is meant to be a safe place to support emotional and physical health there is a zero tolerance policy in effect. Be KIND. Be sure to report any conduct that is in violation of that key tenet.

    You can also find more support using instant chat on the /r/startups discord.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    I mailed in an SS-4 and haven’t received an EIN

    Posted: 06 Jun 2020 09:03 AM PDT

    About four weeks ago I mailed in an SS-4 to get an EIN (I know you can do this online but I got a similar name error and was told to mail it in for someone to manually review the form). I still haven't received/heard anything and I'm wondering how long does the mail-in process normally take?

    Also, when I was mailing it I felt the address formatting seemed a little odd:

    Internal Revenue Service Attn: EIN Operation Cincinnati, OH 45999

    This is the address listed on their website under "Mail or fax form SS-4"

    submitted by /u/darkshadowtrail
    [link] [comments]

    Tapping into a wider market

    Posted: 06 Jun 2020 08:12 AM PDT

    So I have had previous success entering a relatively small market (aviation) selling a low tier product. However I am now seeking to sell a similar product, except this time to a wider market (backpacking/traveling). My previous traffic was all organic and mostly word of mouth so would I have success using that same approach this time?

    submitted by /u/robloxprost1tute
    [link] [comments]

    Accounting and financial Planning & Analysis

    Posted: 06 Jun 2020 08:11 AM PDT

    Hi All

    Hope you're good.

    I am still in ideation stage and working to create an MVP to prove out market, however trying to be forward thinking so as when I do launch I put the best foot forward, in particular, in the running and operating of the company and more specifically the financial side of things.

    Generally speaking, can anyone advise on best practice when it comes to accounting and financial planning & analysis.

    I was of the understanding that in the first instance I will use a mix of Quickbooks or Xero etc for basic bookeeping along with an outsourced accountant too. I understand the three main financial statements to keep and maintain - Cash flow statement, income statement and balance sheet, which I believe are within the scope of a piece of software such as Quickbooks or Xero. Would anybody advise a different way to keep such statements perhaps google sheets or excel?

    With accounting and the financial statements a case of keeping track of the present and past I guess the other aspect is looking forward i.e. budgeting, forecasting, projections & modelling. As I understand it, you can find a lot of templates online to fulfil this side of things as is just a case of using sheets or excel?

    Would appreaciate your advise from your experience and whether there is any particular best practices you can advise on, any particular tools or software you would recommend. Anybody using EY financial navigator software?

    submitted by /u/2020Corp
    [link] [comments]

    Building a Remote Team — Questions..

    Posted: 06 Jun 2020 06:10 AM PDT

    I'm a first time founder, who decided to build his startup completely remotely. So, we have a remote team of 6 people as of now. The thing is, we have no "system" whatsoever: We do calls whenever needed, no one really follows up well, we don't even use Trello as much as we should, casually message our groups on Telegram.. Stuff like that.

    The thing is, I believe in our team, but the lack of a system for work is causing problems. So, if we don't build one well, we won't succeed — simple as that. What I am asking is, is there a resource for where I can look at other remote companies' (startups) systems? Like, how often do they make company wide calls, what kind of reporting system do they implement, what software do they use and such that.

    Thank you in advance..

    submitted by /u/MrHaddo
    [link] [comments]

    Suppliers for 2-sided marketplace help

    Posted: 06 Jun 2020 01:41 AM PDT

    Any of you guys started a 2-sided marketplace and how did you get suppliers on board? (Before or after building the platform?) Been contacting a lot of suppliers that i want to work with, i got 2 positive replies and 1 negative one. The negative one said that i'll just be a competition. What incentives did you guys provide etc? Because my platform will be basically be free for suppliers.

    submitted by /u/HikenNoSabo7
    [link] [comments]

    Free Online Courses?

    Posted: 05 Jun 2020 08:04 PM PDT

    Starting 3 weeks of forced annual leave (Covid) and since travel's not an option, I'd like to come out the other side with some newfound knowledge re: Marketing, Biz Development, Sales/Negotiation and basic Web-design.

    Looking for some handy free courses that would teach any level of this ranging from introductory to advanced?

    I know a lot of books help with start-up mentality and I've seen some other threads with comprehensive discussion on this eg, best books under 200 pages - I'll definitely read some books but also looking at measurable competency development.

    Any ideas and suggestions?

    submitted by /u/adenfrrr
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment