• Breaking News

    Friday, June 5, 2020

    Dear Heartland Student Loans

    Dear Heartland Student Loans


    Dear Heartland

    Posted: 04 Jun 2020 10:19 AM PDT

    Now that i've paid my Perkins loan in full...KISS MY BROWN A$$! :)

    submitted by /u/Sunshineadventurer48
    [link] [comments]

    IMPORTANT: Class action lawsuit filed against Great Lakes for CARES Act coding error which resulted in severe damage to millions of borrowers’ credit scores

    Posted: 04 Jun 2020 09:16 PM PDT

    Paid in Full

    Posted: 04 Jun 2020 12:02 PM PDT

    Yesterday I submitted my final student loan payment in the amount of $6,430.65! I graduated in May of 2016 with just over $63K in loans from undergrad (kinesiology), a post-bac (biology), and grad school (biotechnology), and now I'M DONE!!

    submitted by /u/Jcon1212
    [link] [comments]

    Is this adverse credit?

    Posted: 05 Jun 2020 03:09 AM PDT

    I am looking into applying for the Grad PLUS loan and have read the eligibility requirements about 8 times now, but I am still confused about whether or not I would be considered to have "Adverse Credit" because I'm seeing so many inconsistencies in the time frames of people who are posting about it. Some say its 5 years and others say 2, while still others say if you have any collections at all its adverse. Please help me understand. The description of adverse credit reads:

    Charged Off Account: Any account (open or closed) that has been charged off (written off) during the two years preceding the date of the credit report with a balance greater than zero.

    Collection Account: Any account (open or closed) that has been placed in collection during the two years preceding the date of the credit report with a balance greater than zero.

    90 or More Days Delinquent on any Debt: Any open account that is currently 90 or more days past due.

    So on my Transunion report, I have a medical collection from 2016 of $2,246. Does this count as adverse credit? it shouldn't because the credit check is only counting from two years prior right?

    submitted by /u/DSTST
    [link] [comments]

    Keep paying your loans if you can!

    Posted: 04 Jun 2020 05:11 PM PDT

    I have all my loans on Nelnet and luckily they all qualify for the CARES act right now.

    I am fortunate enough to still be able to make my payments though. And if you are too PLEASE make those payments.

    They're interest free. So instead of half my payment going towards principal, the whole thing is. I decided to pay down my loan with the highest rate in the next few months by paying by group rather than by account.

    In effect, I'm going to pay the same amount if covid wasn't happening, but (for me) twice as much will go to principal and Having it all aimed at one loan will help get rid of that one faster.

    submitted by /u/Whatissleep22
    [link] [comments]

    If you had business with Student Advocates Group - your personal data might have leaked

    Posted: 04 Jun 2020 06:27 AM PDT

    Hello. I've noticed an article how there was some unsecured data left online between consumers and loan support workers.
    https://cybernews.com/security/student-loan-company-stole-millions-leaks-phone-calls-ssns-tax-records/

    This doesn't effect me, but I wanted to inform you guys in just in case. Not sure if there's a way to check if your actual data is somewhere online right now, but do be vigilant about what is being done with your social security numbers.

    submitted by /u/Formerchild1
    [link] [comments]

    What am I supposed to do? Transferring schools after finishing associates degree.

    Posted: 04 Jun 2020 09:08 PM PDT

    I graduated with my associates degree from a community college last month and got a letter from them (three and a half weeks after I graduated) telling me if I didn't complete Loan Exit Counseling for my US Federal Student Loans within 14 days of graduation they will put a hold on my account and I won't be able to get transcripts or my diploma.

    However, I'm transferring to another school for this fall to continue on with my bachelors degree- I thought you only complete Loan Exit Counseling when you will no longer be attending school?

    Am I wrong on this and need to complete it, or do I need to call the financial office for the college and get them to release the hold?

    submitted by /u/Avievent
    [link] [comments]

    Confused about federal loan "repayment term"

    Posted: 04 Jun 2020 02:01 PM PDT

    I'm posting this on behalf of my boyfriend. He has a federal student loan to the tune of 57K.

    I'm new to the world of student loans and he didn't pay much attention when he got it, so forgive me if this is a silly question with an obvious answer.

    When he originally got the loan, he was told that the loan term was 15 years (or something) and if he didn't pay off the principal in that time, the loan would be forgiven.

    That seems a little too good to be true. We looked at his account together and there is a section that reads "Repayment Term: 119 months"

    Can someone explain to me what that means, and what happens if there's still a principal balance at the time the term is up?

    Thank you in advance!

    submitted by /u/anndrago
    [link] [comments]

    how to get federal aid??

    Posted: 04 Jun 2020 05:52 PM PDT

    i didnt receive any need base aid from my school for financial aid but is it still possible to get federal aid?

    submitted by /u/godddddddddplz
    [link] [comments]

    Best plan of action for 50k in parent plus loans, and 30k in federal?

    Posted: 04 Jun 2020 01:21 PM PDT

    So, I am a bioChemical engineering student who will be graduating either this upcoming May or next December. I was stupid when I entered my undergrad and listened to my dad, who said " take as much as they offer to be safe". Mind you, that was my fault. It's my responsibility to read the fine print and i am very grateful he was willing to take out 50k in Parent plus loans.

    However, I want to create a plan to work these loans off as soon as possible. My current plan is to really grind my last three semesters, and get the best grades I can while working my research job (and get published). I am also thinking about picking up a part-time job at a chemical plant to gain experience and money to put toward the loans.

    I plan to go to graduate school but need to get it paid for, so I will either go through a company or apply for grants. While in graduate school I am thinking about having a second job to put all my extra funds toward the parent plus loans, and the interest on the federal.

    Once I graduate I hopefully will be able to get a job with a national lab or other research institution, where I can make 55-100k. Then I plan to live like I'm homeless, buying the bare minimum in food and rent, with a beater car until I pay everything off. My calculations put me at 4 years if I do this, even if my loans hit 100k by graduation.

    Thoughts? What do you guys think I should do right now to increase my chances of paying them off quickly.

    submitted by /u/KeySeries0
    [link] [comments]

    FRB refinance program gone?

    Posted: 04 Jun 2020 03:37 PM PDT

    I was looking to refinance my loan back in March when rates went down, but had money tied up in investment and government announced 0% interest until September so I waited out. I sold stocks today and went to FRB only to find out the option is gone! Google search returned very few websites that said it's suspended/paused. Hopefully it's temporary and I can wait out because I'm paying 0% interest now anyways. Anyone got more info? They had the lowest rate for me, so I'm really looking to refinance with them.

    submitted by /u/anemoneya
    [link] [comments]

    REPAYE increase in monthly Payment question

    Posted: 04 Jun 2020 05:27 AM PDT

    Hey all,

    I was hoping you could help me with a situation I'm dealing with. So I'm currently on a REPAYE plan and I've been so since finishing grad school. Due to my lack of income out of grad school, my income during year one was $0. Then for year 2, my income went up to $58K and my payment was $70/month. With year 2 wrapping up, I submitted an employment recertification form in addition to my tax info. My income went up to 60K this past year and after recalculating my payment, it jumped from 70 to $365 per month. How could that be? I'm currently single with no dependents and wasn't expecting such a jump.

    Is there anything I can do to change this? Maybe get it recalculated? What if I were not able to afford this payment per month? What would be my options?

    submitted by /u/allojay
    [link] [comments]

    Can a Direct Unsubsidized graduate school loan transfer to another college?

    Posted: 04 Jun 2020 03:04 PM PDT

    I accepted an offer for a NYC college that gave me $20,000 for the fall/spring semester, a direct unsubsidized graduate school loan. However with coronavirus rampant and having a chronic condition, I am interested in possibly transferring to an upstate NY school after the fall semester if things haven't cleared up by then. Would the loan transfer? Would I just have to update my FAFSA?

    submitted by /u/roverlover1111
    [link] [comments]

    Recovery from default

    Posted: 04 Jun 2020 07:34 AM PDT

    Loooong story available here https://www.reddit.com/r/JUSTNOMIL/comments/gw3lhf/i_need_to_ventjnmil_destroyed_us_financially/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

    My husband is in default on $127k in federal loans. We are rehabilitating and should be done in December-January. Then what. His credit is awful. How do we go about repairing it. Is there anything he can do right now? (Mine is great but he makes the income so this is preventing us from any purchases like homes, etc. ) He will qualify for PSLF because he works for a non-profit but we will probably only ever pay interest so the line of credit will always show a super high balance. Wtf do we do

    submitted by /u/mountains89
    [link] [comments]

    Re-applying for economic hardship deferment

    Posted: 04 Jun 2020 01:23 PM PDT

    Trying to navigate the best way to re-apply/extend my economic hardship deferment in light of the current CARES act deferment with Navient.

    I am currently in a standard, economic hardship deferment that was scheduled to end at the end of June. I realize the CARES act deferment is active and will override any payments/interest thru October.

    I was already planning on needing to re-apply this month to extend my economic deferment another 12 months. How does the Covid emergency deferment affect this, if at all?

    1. Will Navient tell me I need to wait until the Covid deferment thing ends to reapply?
    2. If I reapply now and am approved, does the time I'm still in the emergency Covid deferment thru 9/30/20 still count against my standard deferment time period? If so, could I request my economic hardship deferment start date to be in October so it picks up right when the Covid deferment ends?

    Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/dodgerdog8890
    [link] [comments]

    What’s the best option for me to get student loans if I don’t meet Satisfactory Academic Process standards for my school?

    Posted: 04 Jun 2020 08:34 AM PDT

    I was in school in 2016 for two semesters and failed every class I took (4 classes). They weren't hard, I just wasn't doing the work. I ended up getting a diagnosis for ADHD at the late age of 21. I spent the next 4 years out of school, and this year I've decided I want to go back. I paid back my old student loans, and did everything else to be able to register for classes. But I'm on Academic Probation, so I can only take 2 classes until my GPA is up. They're still 600 dollars, but I can't even get a loan through the school yet because of my GPA. Is there an independent institution where I can apply for student loans? While my credit score has been steadily increasing, it's still not good right now and I have no co-signer

    submitted by /u/ToThisDay
    [link] [comments]

    Federal Aid for Grad school, 3 credits a semester

    Posted: 04 Jun 2020 05:59 AM PDT

    I am currently in a nursing masters (nursing informatics) and I take one 3 credit class a semester. All online but through a brick and mortar university. Is there any federal loans I qualify for? Or is my only loan option private. Thank you!

    submitted by /u/Treynite
    [link] [comments]

    Has anyone else paid off their debt through Nelnet?

    Posted: 04 Jun 2020 03:12 PM PDT

    I was wondering if anyone else has paid off their student loan debt through Nelnet? Do they settle for pennies or even quarters on the dollar? If not, is there another way to settle debt through them or possibly some kind of way that we won't have to pay the full amount but just a portion of it?

    submitted by /u/andyandrew2006
    [link] [comments]

    FAFSA Entrance Counseling

    Posted: 04 Jun 2020 11:19 AM PDT

    I have recently finished FAFSA Entrance Counseling but have not entered any numbers for the estimators. Would this be a problem and if so, how can I fix this?

    submitted by /u/Allegiant_Authority
    [link] [comments]

    My Dad want's to Co sign my student loan, but he's here in the US with a work permit can he still co sign?

    Posted: 04 Jun 2020 10:36 AM PDT

    So I need a private student loan to go to college because my financial aid package does not cover my entire tuition so I was looking around student loan websites and a majority of these sites say that my co-signer has to be a US Citizen or a Permanent Citizen, can my Dad co-sign my loan even though he's in the country through TPS (Temporary Protection Service) so he only has a work permit and a social security number.

    submitted by /u/wil4prez
    [link] [comments]

    If I go back to school, do I have to pay my current student loans? (Canada)

    Posted: 04 Jun 2020 10:01 AM PDT

    I have a little less than $30000 total of student debt, but between RAP and COVID I haven't had to pay any back, nor have I gained any interest on the loan, since I graduated in 2017. Now I'm planning on going back to school either for a Master's that I've already been accepted into, or another bachelors degree in nursing - either way, I'm going back to school in the fall.

    Will I need to pay my current student loans when I'm going back to school? Will they be deferred, interest-free?

    Any help is appreciated!

    EDIT: Also, I'm currently building a student-loan specific savings account to pay back when interest starts, so don't worry - I have a plan of action here! But If I get an extra 2-3 years to save some money before getting dinged by interest then that will be a huge relief

    EDIT 2: I'm originally from Nova Scotia, but I only have about $3500 in provincial loans; the remainder are federal.

    submitted by /u/boredhoneycomb
    [link] [comments]

    Student Loan Debt vs. Tuition Waiver

    Posted: 04 Jun 2020 06:01 AM PDT

    Hi! I would love some general advice about student loan debt.

    I was accepted to a top 5 institution for my profession, at a school with great connections. I was offered a partial scholarship, but will still have to take out about 50k in loans. I'm sitting on about 17k in undergrad, but I might be able to pay that off with an inheritance.

    Alternatively, I was offered a full tuition waiver at a state school in the same city. That waiver is dependent on a GRA position working 20 hours a week, with a $2500 stipend each semester. I don't know how I would go to grad school, work 20 hours a week in research, and then find a real job to support myself in a major city. Long story short, I'll be underpaid but will have free tuition. But I will be financially independent while I'm in grad school and I don't have $ saved. I would likely have to take out a loan anyway just to pay my bills.

    My starting salary will probably be around 50-60k after graduating. Not a high paying field initially, but there's a ton of opportunity for growth. The better institution has great connections to some of the most well-respected organizations in my field. Think WHO, CDC, etc.

    Student loans scare me. My husband already has a ton of student debt, but thankfully he's in an industry where he will be able to pay that down fairly quickly once we move. I'm just scared. It's such a huge financial decision. The school I want to attend is a great educational investment, but for someone like me, 50k is a ton of money and I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around what it looks like paying that back. I know everyone's financial decision is different, but I'm almost thirty at this point and I don't know anything about how student loans might affect me having kids — buying a house eventually — etc.

    I'll be working in a field where I'll likely qualify for PSLF. Not banking on it, but most of the work in my field is with the government or non-profit.

    submitted by /u/gpbhero
    [link] [comments]

    Applying to universities abroad loan aid

    Posted: 04 Jun 2020 02:00 AM PDT

    For the past year, I've been accepted by a few in the UK and Canada.
    I have also applied for scholarships for financial aid, still haven't received any reply due to the announcements are not nearby.

    My country (Lebanon) hasn't been supportive of loans due to the country has been bankrupt and a revolution started last October, this implies to banks do not support student loans.

    Does anyone have any intel in getting a loan other than banks within the country or outside since Canada and United kingdom source, international students? Is there a way for Lebanese students to loan the expenses?

    submitted by /u/ImNotARobattttt
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment