• Breaking News

    Monday, June 8, 2020

    Accounting I mean...

    Accounting I mean...


    I mean...

    Posted: 08 Jun 2020 06:02 PM PDT

    I hate LinkedIn.

    Posted: 08 Jun 2020 10:25 AM PDT

    Me telling my subconscious I passed Intermediate 2 with a B

    Posted: 08 Jun 2020 06:06 AM PDT

    Deloitte Reduced Hours

    Posted: 08 Jun 2020 04:00 PM PDT

    Expected to be announced this week.

    You know the drill:

    1) service line 2) level 3) details (% time, duration of reduced schedule, etc.)

    submitted by /u/KarenTheNarc
    [link] [comments]

    2020 graduates

    Posted: 08 Jun 2020 11:58 AM PDT

    Who is the Audit supervisor?

    Posted: 08 Jun 2020 09:55 AM PDT

    When you get review notes for a project that you didn’t even prepare.

    Posted: 08 Jun 2020 03:10 PM PDT

    [SERIOUS] Those of you who have been working from home for the past few months, how has it affected your mental health.

    Posted: 08 Jun 2020 06:07 AM PDT

    Long story short, I've struggled with depression and constant suicidal thoughts basically my whole life. They're always there, some days louder than others, it's okay though. However, after months spent working, sleeping, and living in my bedroom, I am in the worst mental state I've ever been. I am not a danger to myself, no cause for concern, but I am struggling to exist as a human person. I don't know how to explain it. It is horrible.

    So I ask you this, how has WFH affected your mental state?

    submitted by /u/Maybe_a_CPA
    [link] [comments]

    [OC] Better not miss a single payment for your toilet as a service subscription

    Posted: 08 Jun 2020 07:03 PM PDT

    Why research different entities when Panda Express knows better?

    Posted: 08 Jun 2020 10:07 AM PDT

    Did I make a mistake going in public accounting?

    Posted: 08 Jun 2020 08:54 PM PDT

    Hi guys. I am quiet frustratedly, sad, worry, freak out..everything right now. I got an email from HR to discuss my performance review in the middle of the day and I haven't been thinking straight since.

    I graduated college in 2017 and got a first job as a fund accountant in an investment bank. I did really well but after a year and a half of them keep promise to promote me to senior but never did, I switched to public accounting. I applied to a tax staff position in a mid size firm. I worked there for 10 months, was letting go because I did not bill enough hours + performance issue. In my defense, I knew I did not do good enough but there were no one there to help or train me. I was not assign to a manager. My office has 4 people: me, 1 senior, 1 manager and 1 partner. All of them are fairly new to the firm (work there under 1 year). There is a pool system which I will assign myself an assignment then start to work on it. I would not get any review points from other managers. And since I am new and in a different office they would not give me work. I was naive, I tried to ask for work but all they said just look at the pool. Sometimes there will be hard assignments but I won't be able to do it because I am new. The day I was letting go i kinda knew it was going to happen. They gave me 2 weeks pay and unemployment benefits. I was really sad and discouraged. Who getting fired 10 months on the job??? But I tried to pick myself up and apply for jobs like crazy. I would spend 8 hours just apply for jobs on linked in. Hard work finally paid off. I got 2 offers within a month later. It was between non profit and public accounting. I thought about it alot, and again i decided to go with public accounting. Everyone can do it so why cant I right? I can't let one bad experience stop me from going to public accounting.

    I started with this recent firm in January. Everyone seem nice and helpful. I work with 3 mangers mostly. At first they are really nice and helpful. I admit I made lots of careless mistakes in the beginning . One of the manager would call me into an office and sort of say things that make me feel like I am so dumb and i can't get anything right. When I ask her for questions and review points she just said do a self review the mistakes are obvious or look up this and that concept and see how she did it. That gave me a lot of anxiety going to work. I feel like I walk on eggshells all the time. I would eat hours, spend extra time to review my works because I am so afraid of making mistakes. Sometimes I even feel like I cant ask questions because what they say will just be look at last year paperwork. And I honestly feel like she does not like me at all and does not want to teach me. It is exhausted to work long hours and does not enjoy or confident in my work. For the other 2 managers I often will get review points back and it mostly positive. This morning when I saw the HR email all the feelings last year I have just come back again. I want to cry and feel so dumb and ask myself why can't I be smart enough for public accounting. I honestly feel like I make a mistake sticking with public accounting because seem like I am not good at it. Do I suppose to do everything perfectly right? Because I know I can't. I am still learning. I don't know what to do right now but keep thinking about the freaking meeting. I will see what they wrote to me on my eval tomorrow. I guess I just want to vent and need some advices for my career path. I feel so helpless.

    submitted by /u/bunny194
    [link] [comments]

    Introspection Monday. Why are you still at the Big Four?

    Posted: 08 Jun 2020 08:08 AM PDT

    I see a lot of posts on this subreddit and have experienced in real life the common understanding that many people will put in there 2-3 years at the Big Four and jump ship to industry. The get your experience and leave side, I find is more commonly accepted and most arguments against it are written off as "Kool-aid". I wanted to share my thoughts on why I plan to stay longer and open this for discussion for others to share the pros and cons of staying past the traditional few years and jump ship phase.

    I am currently going into my second year as senior with PwC and have no plans of leaving in the near future. This does not mean I plan to stay until partner, just that I am currently on the path I want to be on and for the next few years do not see that changing.

    To me the most valuable asset that the Big Four can provide is not high pay or flexibility, but rapid progression and learning. The amount of technical, social, and business skills you obtain from working in public accounting is absolutely instrumental in why I want to stay.

    I am not going to deny that one may also grow these skills in the private sector, but I believe the growth will be slower, and that is ok for some people.

    My focus is on increasing my capabilities in the three skills listed above as quickly and efficiently as possible. To me Public Accounting is a place where I can do that.

    I understand why many people leave once they hit senior. Every person has different goals and circumstances. However, I wanted to share my reasons for sticking around since I think there is a overwhelming perception that its not worth it to stay past senior or manager.

    I will end with analogy. To me working in the big four is like a hike. Lets say this hike is 10 miles and is straight up a mountain. 2 miles in, the trail forks into two. On one side is a waterfall the other side continues up the mountain. Many people look ahead at the steep incline of the rocky trail and choose this point to turn off the trail and head towards the waterfall and that is perfectly fine. To some this route makes sense and is most likely the correct choice.

    However, some may choose to look at the waterfall, see its beauty, but continue up the steep incline as the want to see the view from higher up. Some may make it another 5 miles an see a clearing that looks over the vast valley below. They may choose this as the spot to divert from the trail as they believe the view from the top can not beat the view from where they currently stand.

    Then there are a few who do make it to the top. The view is incredible, but as they look around they are alone. Their friends and family that started the hike with them have chosen different paths on the way up.

    submitted by /u/AverageCPA
    [link] [comments]

    Ex Accountants, what are you doing now and why did you leave the field?

    Posted: 08 Jun 2020 05:40 PM PDT

    100% Remote

    Posted: 08 Jun 2020 02:56 PM PDT

    Any tax CPAs that work 100% remote? Considering switching from a corporate tax team to a small CPA firm in which I will be 100% remote. I'm curious of your pros and cons. Thanks All!

    submitted by /u/SanDiegoCPA
    [link] [comments]

    Exam scores are up

    Posted: 08 Jun 2020 03:17 PM PDT

    Good luck everyone deep breaths

    submitted by /u/earlyslalom
    [link] [comments]

    [CAN] Senior Financial Analyst Positions - After S1/S2 in Big 4

    Posted: 08 Jun 2020 03:05 PM PDT

    Hey everyone,

    I finished my first year as a senior this past year and most likely will be looking at doing year 2 as a senior, for those that left after senior, what type of salary increase did you guys get going into industry?

    Thanks - a ball park would be really helpful!

    submitted by /u/IMeganNicole
    [link] [comments]

    I am having seconds thoughts on not getting a CPA

    Posted: 08 Jun 2020 07:37 PM PDT

    Originally, I didn't plan on getting a CPA license because my small brain can't handle the contents.

    However, because so many of my classmates are planning to get it, I want to have it just to compete with them.

    submitted by /u/Nostalicraft
    [link] [comments]

    Do you have to pay back BIG4 (kpmg) for Becker

    Posted: 08 Jun 2020 05:19 PM PDT

    I am a 1st year senior and have completed 1 CPA exam. I will be leaving the firm soon and am curious to see if you'd have to pay back the firm for Becker? If so, how much?

    submitted by /u/ahvilleg
    [link] [comments]

    WILD question

    Posted: 08 Jun 2020 03:32 PM PDT

    Hey guys, I'm a major in accounting and have realized most of the people on here CONSTANTLY complain about the horrific work life balance of public accounting, the "comfortable" work life balance of industry and government accounting. But now I rise the real question, is it possible to get a 4 day work week working in accounting? That literally seems like the dream. 40 hours in 4 days, do companies offer that or is it unheard of? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/timebomb1011
    [link] [comments]

    [CAN] Cpa June exams

    Posted: 08 Jun 2020 04:33 PM PDT

    Writing core 2 in a few weeks. How is everyone preparing since it's only 2 cases and no Multiple choice? I am a bit nervous due to timing and whatnot. Also, if you are writing core 2- what are the major topics you are studying?

    submitted by /u/adam19944
    [link] [comments]

    Did your employers care where you got your degree?

    Posted: 08 Jun 2020 01:33 PM PDT

    Hi guys,

    I'm on the accounting path and am considering which University to transfer to in Ontario, Canada. Does the school you attend actually make a difference? I would like to try out the corporate world in1st or 2nd tier companies. If it does can you please recommend a school?

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/Talabgaar
    [link] [comments]

    Managerial Accounting summer course

    Posted: 08 Jun 2020 10:14 PM PDT

    Hello all,

    Is there anything on the internet that can teach me how to do managerial accounting but in a simplified way?

    I'm a business major at a university, I just completed my required financial accounting course, and I am not gifted in this subject at all. My professor was somewhat helpful but due to the pandemic, my focus sort of got lost in translation and i struggled.

    I am currently taking managerial accounting for the remainder of the summer. However, I did not retain any information from financial. I'm not sure if that's going to make a difference.

    submitted by /u/HipsterSlendy
    [link] [comments]

    Why cant undergrad accounting classes use CPA prep books for their course material?

    Posted: 08 Jun 2020 10:53 AM PDT

    Becker user here, and I think its a great book that teaches its concepts super well. I learned more about Auditing from Becker in 6 weeks than I did in an entire semester of Audit class. Similar story for Becker FAR and my intermediate acct series.

    The Becker books are undoubtedly sufficient in terms of material and concepts and you'd also be SO much more prepared for the CPA exam if you already worked through the same material in your undergrad class.

    Why can't this be a thing?

    submitted by /u/StraightPudding0
    [link] [comments]

    How important is foundational accounting knowledge for jobs?

    Posted: 08 Jun 2020 02:33 PM PDT

    So I'll be graduating in 1.5 years, and I'm a little embarrassed to admit that I don't have the best understanding of everything I learned in financial accounting. I get basic debits and credits and I know what accounts are normal debits and credits. But I've forgotten a lot from that class. I want to go into industry accounting and I'm wondering how well I should know foundational accounting concepts before I start a new internship/job.

    submitted by /u/kinabatangan
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment