• Breaking News

    Monday, June 8, 2020

    A no fluff step by step guide to cold emailing prospects and getting your first customers. Sales and Selling

    A no fluff step by step guide to cold emailing prospects and getting your first customers. Sales and Selling


    A no fluff step by step guide to cold emailing prospects and getting your first customers.

    Posted: 08 Jun 2020 08:15 AM PDT

    Hey Guys,

    Over years of launching projects and selling B2B solutions, without much of a budget, I've used cold email a lot to get traction or customers.

    This post summarizes everything I learned about cold email, what worked and what didn't, and a step by step guide to get your first customers without having an audience or spending a penny.

    There won't be any automation in this guide (except a little bit to find email addresses), you'll have to do everything manually, that's what I did (and still do).

    Step 0 : Creating your email addresses

    We're sending cold emails so we need an email address. I personally create 2 different email addresses :

    The reason I do that is because I like to send cold emails from both addresses and then pick the one that performs better.

    Depending on who you're emailing, they might be more responsive to an email from a personal gmail address.

    This is especially true if you're planning to approach prospects to recruit them as early adopters and not just selling your product. The gmail address helps drive home the point that "I'm just starting out".

    Step 1 : Identifying your perfect customer by elimination

    If you're just starting out, you probably don't have a clear idea of who your perfect customer is. In fact, your first goal should be to identify who that customer is and where can you find more like him.

    To do that, I proceed by elimination. I start by making a list of who MIGHT be my perfect customer, and after sending a few emails to every target listed, I can usually identify which targets are easier to reach out to and get replies, and which ones convert better.

    Your tasks

    • Start by copying this google sheet to your account.
    • Add your targets to the Target Overview table (bloggers,CRM software companies, Influencers...).
    • Create a new table for every target using the Single Target Template table.

    About the Target Overview Table : Since we're doing everything manually, and sending a lot of emails, it eventually gets hard to track the reply rate and conversion rate. You can however just use approximative values based on your own judgement like : Very low, Low, Neutral, High, Very High.

    About the Single Target Table : Don't worry about filling the target table for now, we'll get back to it later.

    Step 2 : Creating your cold email templates

    Let's start by getting a common misconception out of the way : There is no such thing as the best cold email template. You will never have a single template that works for all your projects and acquisition campaigns.

    Different templates work for different targets and different products. It's on you to figure out which templates may work better.

    Your tasks

    • Visit the cold email template database to choose from 100+ email templates.
    • Pick 3 to 5 templates, make sure every template works for all your targets and avoid using different templates for different targets if you can, it'll make it easier to track performance of templates in the future.
    • Pick or write a sequence of 3 simple follow up emails to use with all your email templates. We won't be measuring the performance of follow up emails, it adds another layer of complexity and is not worth it at first.
    • Write 3 to 5 email subjects to fit the templates you've chosen. Again, try to come up with subjects that work with all your email templates.
    • Assign a name or number to reference each of your selected templates and subjects and store them somewhere ( I use Trello, but you can just store each one in a text file on your computer ). The template and subject names will be used to identify the best performing ones later on.

    Step 3 : Collecting prospects

    It's time to fill those single target tables we created.

    I recommend starting with 15 - 20 prospects for each target table at first.

    The idea is not to find out who your perfect customer is after sending 1000 cold emails, instead the idea is to identify and eliminate the bad targets first, while at the same time identifying which email templates, subject lines and sender address performs better, so that when your target list is more "targeted", you know how to approach them and which tools to use.

    Your tasks

    • Start by adding 10 rows of the website column to every single target table. Use Google & Linkedin to find the name of your target. It can be the CEO, CTO, Chief Happy Officer... It depends of your product & objective.
    • Install the hunter.io sheet extension to automate the email prospecting part. (It's free for 50 requests per month and should get you started. There are other tools out there if you run out of credits.)
    • You may have to replace some rows if you can't find any good emails.

    Step 4 : Eliminate 50% of everything

    It's time to start sending those emails to your prospects.

    At this stage, it's all about learning as much as you can about everything related to your targets & your cold email process. A simple goal to set for yourself is : Eliminate 50% of your targets, 50% of our email templates and subject lines.

    Depending on your preference, you can either start sending 3 - 5 emails per target table per day, or send all emails in a target table in a day. Personally, I like the second option as it allows me to eliminate targets after 4 days ( assuming my follow sequence lasts 4 days or less ), it also keeps tracking simple, I don't have to keep switching between google sheet tables.

    Your tasks

    • Pick a prospect on your target table.
    • Pick a subject line, an email template and a sender address (gmail or domain email)
    • Send the email
    • Increment the email count column by 1.
    • Update your follow up date ( When to send the next follow up email )
      • Start your follow up sequence if the prospect does not reply after 1 day.
      • After sending an email from your follow up sequence, increment the email count column, and update the follow up date for the next email in the sequence.
    • When the prospect replies, you can add a YES to the replied column and stop the follow up sequence.

    At this point, your job is to turn a reply into a conversion. Depending on what a conversion represents for you, you may have to get on a call with your prospect, send him more material, or just get some feedback.

    By the end of the interaction, you can mark the prospect as converted or not, as well as add notes about your interaction.

    I use the notes column exclusively to add actionable tips on how to better approach the current target. Avoid cramming too much in there, limit your notes to the immediately practical insights only.

    After going through all your prospects across all tables, you should have enough data to eliminate at least 50% of your targets, as well as 50% of your email templates and subject lines.

    If you manage to have at least 10 good conversations with different prospects, you'll learn more about your product as well.

    Step 5 : Decide what's next

    Since this is a data driven approach, what's next depends on what you've learned in the previous step, as well as your conversion rate, the feedback you received, and most importantly your perspective on the project and the cold email approach after processing all the data you've accumulated.

    From my experience, there seems to be a limited number of outcomes. I'll start with the worst ones and move on to the best :

    • You only get a few replies across targets : If you sent more than 50 emails and followed up with all of them. This is usually an indicator that something else is wrong, most likely your value proposition. Time to review everything and decide if you want to email a different set of targets, try a different marketing approach, or pivot to a different offer or project.
    • You realize cold email or outbound sales is not the right channel for your product : In that case, it's time to review your acquisition strategy. But at least, you now have the confidence to invest in a different strategy like content marketing where it may take time and resources to implement and see results.
    • You get enough replies but very few or no conversions. : This is a tough one but you should have a reasonable explanation based on your interactions with prospects. If you don't, it might be a good idea to ask your prospects why they haven't converted. Once you have that answer, fix the problem, and email the same prospects to tell them about it and try to change the original outcome to a better one.
    • One or more targets are responsive to your emails and a few of them have a converted : Congratulations! You now know who you should sell to, how to find them, how to pitch your product via cold email and get replies, and how to turn replies into conversions. It may be a good idea to scale up this framework by hiring a VA.

    I've gone through all these outcomes at least once, and although some can be disappointing, they generally allow me to take my next decision with more confidence and less fear of missing out ( i.e : when deciding to move on to a different project ).

    Hope It helps!

    submitted by /u/Olivepourk
    [link] [comments]

    How to become a sales engineer (without degree) for IT, especially Saas/software companies?

    Posted: 08 Jun 2020 03:29 AM PDT

    Hi all, I am currently working in a small B2B company in a non technical role. I do not have a CS degree or any programming knowledge. I was hoping someone here can tell me what technologies I can learn to embark on a Saas/software sales engineer journey. Is there any specific software I can learn to take on this role? I do not really want to learn programming.

    I understand it will depend on what software I want to sell but I do not have much knowledge about companies and software they sell, apart from some top companies like Salesforce, Oracle, Microsoft. Unfortunately I do not have the profile to get a job at these companies. Is there any lesser know software I can learn, say Tier 2 companies and apply for jobs there?

    I am thankful for the ideas you throw at me. Please name any company, or software I can learn out there. Also, throw any advice on how to start on sales engineer journey without CS degree and programming knowledge.

    submitted by /u/rising-ray
    [link] [comments]

    How lucrative is robotics sales?

    Posted: 08 Jun 2020 08:27 AM PDT

    Anybody in this field?

    submitted by /u/lDOG5454
    [link] [comments]

    Sales reps who have gone from a fast-paced startup to a large corporation - what advantages or challenges did you face? Did you enjoy the change?

    Posted: 08 Jun 2020 09:13 AM PDT

    After selling at a leading tech startup in an emerging space, I recently started a new role in one of the largest tech corporations in the world.

    On one hand, I know this space extremely well from having to fight tooth and nail for every deal vs upselling existing customers.

    On the other hand, navigating a large org like this without the same level of innovative technology I'm used to (cadence tools, call tracking/analysis, prospecting tools) has been challenging.

    The lack of automation has led to a lot more busy work, and coming from a company where I was frequently leading internal projects and did a lot of things outside of my normal role, I'm feeling very "pencil pusher" as of late.

    I'm sure I'll adapt to this new environment, but I'm wondering if I will ever enjoy it the same as my last role.

    For those who have made a similar jump from startup to tech giant, what was your experience?

    submitted by /u/salesthrowaway5678
    [link] [comments]

    Stop looking for your “Guru” on the Internet. Your next best teacher is closer than you think.

    Posted: 07 Jun 2020 12:51 PM PDT

    I'm not one of the best performers on my team but I'm working on it religiously. Last month I ranked 6th in a team of 25. My effectiveness is slowly improving and here's a little reason why (and btw I'm no master, but this has definitely helped me, which is why I'll continue to keep putting it into play).

    The best sales gurus I've come across don't have a YouTube channel.

    The sales guru you need most who is going to help you level up the most is within your own organization.

    He or she probably works a couple of desks away from you. He works hard and he doesn't overcomplicate shit.

    He's not making so much money that he's inaccessible. But he's also making way more than you that he can teach you a couple of things. That's what you want in a mentor; someone who is levels ahead of you but NOT out of touch with reality (like a lot of those YouTube gurus are).

    Your most valuable skill in the next coming months is going to be learning how to "network internally"

    Put your pride aside and approach that top performer and tell them,

    "Hey, I've been watching you and you're an absolute professional. I love what you do and how you do it. I have to admit... I'm not performing where I'd like to perform. If you don't mind, I'd love to borrow 30 minutes of your time one of these days to learn your process and what you think you do very well."

    This has helped me tremendously and I've gotten to meet some absolute ballers IRL. I plan to continue doing this regularly.

    The most difficult part of this process is going to be putting your pride and ego aside. You have to be able to take a hard look in the mirror and admit to yourself that you aren't as good as you want to be. And that hurts, a lot. But once you jump this hurdle, you'll be able to face the harsh truths that will make you a better performer.

    Salud and happy Sunday, my friends.

    submitted by /u/UnsuitableTrademark
    [link] [comments]

    For those back in the field - how has your outside sales experience been going?

    Posted: 08 Jun 2020 08:02 AM PDT

    As someone who has been directed to start going back out to see accounts and prospects in person starting several weeks back, I am just curious what others' experiences have been with doing on-site sales visits again.

    Feel free to share any thoughts or experiences. Thank you!

    submitted by /u/ThisGoldAintFree
    [link] [comments]

    Started new sales role, no commission vouchers or any form of gross confirmation?

    Posted: 08 Jun 2020 11:58 AM PDT

    Hi all! Started a new job at a boat dealership in Oklahoma this past week, came from a 3 year role at a Ford dealership.

    When I sold a car, I got a copy of the deal recap showing the front/back gross and a pink slip that showed my front/back commission.

    At this boat dealership, we get nothing. Absolutely nothing until payday when we get a washout that shows what the deals "made." I say "made" because other salesmen are telling me that we get burnt on pay because they keep us in the dark about what we're actually making on each deal.

    Has anyone ever dealt with anything like this? Any advice on how to ask for copies of recaps so that I can keep my ducks in a row? They make it sound like the last guy who asked that was unemployed within a week of asking so I'm not really sure what to do to cover my ass here

    submitted by /u/ntx1996
    [link] [comments]

    Making switch to IT Staffing?

    Posted: 08 Jun 2020 08:08 AM PDT

    Hey Guys,

    So i'm really looking to get back into the SaaS space as I'm terribly unhappy in my current role/company.

    I enjoy the startup space and have some experience in SMB loyalty/Marketing and Enterprise SaaS and enterprise Business Development.

    I have an opportunity with a small local IT recruiting firm with a great track record however I don't really know much about recruiting, and am unsure what to expect from the role, and if it's as boring as it sounds when I think of recruiting.

    Has anyone gone from a regular full cycle sales role to recruiting? did you like it?

    or if you were a IT recruiter and got out, how come?

    submitted by /u/ActualPieceofPoop
    [link] [comments]

    When you have to share your personal prospect database...

    Posted: 08 Jun 2020 11:41 AM PDT

    I have created my own personal prospect database (a spreadsheet) 6 months ago: it features now 1400 prospect details, including personal assistants, vendors, touch point history and any other relevant info. I update it every day so it's a very valuable file for anyone working in new business sales in the same territory as mine.

    After working as a SDR and booking meetings for an account manager for 10 months, I am now having interviews at different companies for renewal positions and I intend to keep updating this document over time in case I ever want to become an inside sales rep.

    The reason I'm posting here today is that a new account manager is joining the office later this month and he'll ask me about the tools that I'm using to keep track of my prospection. Since I barely log my activities on Salesforce (most of the accounts I'm working on don't exist and there's no way I'll waste time creating them for the sole purpose to log my call activity), I'll have no choice but to talk about my personal spreadsheet and he'll request access to it eventually. I'm thinking about making a copy of my document and removing most of the direct phone numbers and other precious info but I don't find it optimal...

    How did you handle this situation when you experienced it?

    submitted by /u/lagalaxie
    [link] [comments]

    Sales engineer wants to pivot to SaaS (local start up) - Questions

    Posted: 08 Jun 2020 11:26 AM PDT

    Hello!

    I am a sales engineer with a degree in mechanical engineering who thinks about pivoting to SaaS.

    The situation:

    I have a couple acquaintances who created a subscription based delivery app for pharmacies. They are mainly creative and technical people but the app is creating a real value because most pharmacies in Germany have their own dispatcher who manually plans the route. With this app the dispatcher would be expendable which saves real $$$. (Additional services are planned)

    (I have to note that prescription drugs have to be personally handed over in Germany which is why many pharmacies have their own delivery service in the first place.)

    I like the product and would like to help out with their sales process because afaik they are only doing online marketing right now which I doubt reaches the right people. The app starts at $150 / month for two drivers with a fee for additional drivers.

    I have some connections to bigger pharmacy chains that I would like to introduce to these guys that potentially could lead to a general contract.

    My questions:

    • Do you have an idea in what capacity I could work for them because they probably can't pay a full time sales person given that I would need to close at least 30-40 pharmacies to pay myself?
    • What compensation structure do you suggest?
    • As I don't have much experience with cold calling: Is it worth it to cold call with these "small" subscription amounts and is one deal per day realistic?

    If you have any further questions, let me know. Would love to get some insight!

    submitted by /u/mechengineer02
    [link] [comments]

    Inside to Outside Sales

    Posted: 08 Jun 2020 11:18 AM PDT

    I spent my first 2 years out of college working an outside sales position for a large B2B company. Hit the pavement hard, did a lot of door knocking, made some good money for a kid out of college, and received some nice accolades. Fell in love with an HR Tech company who was recruiting me and transitioned to an Inside Sales roles there. After two years of that, the company was bought out last Spring. For the past 6 or 7 months I have been passively looking for an Outside Sales Position. I miss the face to face human interaction and the being out on the road. I've been the finalist a few times now but get passed over due to me being in Inside Sales for a few years. Has anyone had this trouble before? If so, what did you do to overcome it? Obviously things aren't super normal right now. I'm trying to form a strategy for when things return to normal.

    submitted by /u/RIPAlanAlda
    [link] [comments]

    Conference call apps that let you dial out

    Posted: 08 Jun 2020 11:11 AM PDT

    I need to train a new rep and don't have a good remote solution for "listen only" or "listen in" mode. Are you aware of anything out there that lets you hold a conference call or 3-way call easily? Preferably on the freemium side as I won't be able to get a company purchase order for a minute right now.

    submitted by /u/z-adam
    [link] [comments]

    Sales Manager Gift

    Posted: 08 Jun 2020 10:59 AM PDT

    Is it appropriate to get bosses gifts for the birth of their child?

    submitted by /u/jrjolly1
    [link] [comments]

    Outsourced Lead Gen companies: How much do you pay your BDRs?

    Posted: 08 Jun 2020 10:56 AM PDT

    And are they on salary or hourly? Do you pay them commission?

    submitted by /u/smeagols-thong
    [link] [comments]

    Hey all, new to sales and wondering about lead generation.

    Posted: 08 Jun 2020 10:44 AM PDT

    Hi guys and gals, just basically the above. I'm working as an independent contractor to get in the solar industry on sales. The company I contract for said they would provide leads, but things have been slow, so I'm looking for ways to generate leads on my own. Free is best, cheap is ok. Any ideas would be useful and appreciated as I'm very new at this. Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/Jaggy-Jax
    [link] [comments]

    Company changed the our pay structure now they want me to sign off on it.

    Posted: 08 Jun 2020 10:27 AM PDT

    My company recently changed our pay plan, I personally am not a fan of the changes but whatever. Now they asked me to print a copy, sign it and give it back to them. Any thoughts on why I should, shouldn't sign it? I don't dispute the pay plan, it is what it is, just seems like adding insult to injury by making us sign it when they know all they are doing is asking us to do more to be able to earn the same amount.

    submitted by /u/j0hnnyf3ver
    [link] [comments]

    Sales jobs with work/life balance?

    Posted: 08 Jun 2020 10:22 AM PDT

    Hey all,

    I'm 23 years old and I've been in sales for 2 years, one year in used car sales and one year in insurance sales (Farmers). I don't have a college degree. I love sales, and I would like to continue a career in sales but I find my relationships suffering as well as my mental health with the 60+ hours a week the sales jobs I've worked have required. I am also looking to start a side hustle. I've decided I'm leaving the insurance agency next month, but feel lost thinking about my options. Money wise, I have to make at least $3500 a month with bills and such, and to fund my side business for the first little bit. I've looked into cellular sales, but I'm really not sure about that. Any other ideas with my level of experience and background? I'm in the Atlanta area if that matters.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/shoobsdoobs
    [link] [comments]

    Successful Business Development (Sales) Person who is getting burnt out?

    Posted: 08 Jun 2020 10:17 AM PDT

    How many of you were successful but are getting burnt out? Did you have a career change? I'm reaching my breaking point in stress and health and I'm not sure what to do, and I have no idea where to apply my skills.

    I've been successful financially at this role and have been making well over 6 figures for many years in pharmaceutical sales. Despite making excellent top numbers, making a good list of contacts, and getting compensated well, I still dread every day and I feel like I boxed myself into this career. I have a science background (got burnt out by research) and I have excellent oration skills and I have no idea what I can do to remedy my situation or apply myself elsewhere without taking a job for 1/3 my current salary. Any advice would be appreciated, especially by anyone who has gone through this.

    submitted by /u/Octaro
    [link] [comments]

    What books would you absolutely recommend to a beginner?

    Posted: 08 Jun 2020 01:30 AM PDT

    I just got a business developer position and I've never done sales before. This sub is filled with helpful tips and educational testimonies but I want to dig deeper.

    So I'm asking for some books suggestions to give me the proper outlook and motivation to start this new adventure.

    It can be motivational, educational or whatever: tell me about a book that changed your life as a sales person.

    submitted by /u/dramawhaure
    [link] [comments]

    Question for Business Development Representatives or Sales Development Representatives

    Posted: 08 Jun 2020 09:36 AM PDT

    Hi!

    I know this question is a little weird, and if I've crossed any lines, I apologize. I am currently on a selection process for a Business Development Representative, and I'm a newbie in sales.

    As a part of this process, I need to solve a task, and I'm struggling because I really want this job, and I'm afraid to mess it up!

    The task is to describe steps that I would do if I'm a BDR and if I receive an email from a potential client asking about our services. I know what BDR do, I researched as much as I could, but I wanted to ask someone who is actually doing this about their typical workday. When you receive an email, what do you usually do- do you contact your Manager right away, or you answer to email on your own, etc.?

    Again, if this is weird, I apologize, you don't need to answer anything...and if you have a few minutes to spare and would like to help me, I would be so thankful!

    Oh, I don't need someone to solve my task. I want to do it myself! But, I'm trying to understand better how it typically works in your company, and hopefully, I'll create my answer better.

    I was thinking something like

    1. research the potential client that has sent me an email
    2. talk to developers to see if we can do what clients want from us and at what timeframe,
    3. create an estimate and offer
    4. talk to my Manager
    5. answer email...

    Does that look good?

    Thanks, anyone, for help in advance!

    Have a nice day :)

    submitted by /u/Just_Me_3941
    [link] [comments]

    Working as Mortgage Loan Originator?

    Posted: 08 Jun 2020 12:46 AM PDT

    I got approached by an acquaintance that currently works with Nexa Mortgage. He refer me to them and show me some presentations.

    Honestly the commission package sounds life changing. I'm currently making 55k plus a 10k yearly bonus, for which I'm grinding everyday. When 2020 is over, I will qualify for a bump to 60k plus 10k to 15k. I'm branch manager for a small retail bank.

    This acquaintance is making 14k a month in commission. I understand I would take a couple of months of networking to get to 10k, but I can see myself making more throughout the years.

    Everyone thinks I'm building a great career in banking, but I won't be getting near the 100k mark anytime soon.

    Should I consider the move, or just stay where I am?

    submitted by /u/the_hidden_jalapeno
    [link] [comments]

    Advice for a SaaS SDR of just under 2 years applying to become a SaaS AE at a different company

    Posted: 07 Jun 2020 01:00 PM PDT

    Hey everyone, I'm 24 and work in SaaS sales in the Boston area.

    I work for an outsourced sales development company - there isn't much room for growth in regards to becoming an AE. I started out as a BDR and after 9 months was promoted to a Business Development Lead.

    After being a BDR Lead for around a year, I've been fortunate enough to get a form of sales leadership/managerial experience at a young age. I'm now looking to transition into a more of a SaaS closing role (most likely a Mid-Market AE).

    I went to school for Broadcast Journalism and used my communication/broadcasting background to help get my 1st inside sales job.

    Now that I'm looking to get my 2nd job in sales (one that is a closing role, higher OTE, etc) - Do you have any advice for someone who is looking to stand out on a resume/cover letter/potential interview?

    Any advice, feedback, and questions would be greatly appreciated!

    submitted by /u/bhyde9
    [link] [comments]

    �� Looking for expert opinions!

    Posted: 08 Jun 2020 07:12 AM PDT

    Hello, guys!

    I am building an app for those who run their business or do their work in social media. I've done a couple of surveys on this channel previously.

    I really need to understand my potential users because it will help me to plan and implement the features better.

    Please, if you have a spare couple of minutes, could you complete a very brief anonymous survey?

    https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdjsMS8EI9r1bWudfm4bOQfJTV9pgOF73G6RKmYS9R7VqrA3g/viewform?usp=sf_link

    Thank you so much and stay safe!

    submitted by /u/wickededgeshaver
    [link] [comments]

    Sales Professionals who relocate (with same company)

    Posted: 08 Jun 2020 04:59 AM PDT

    I'm looking for advice from sales professionals who have moved to a different part of the country but stayed with the same company. How did you announce your move? Was LinkedIn helpful in this? Did you send out emails? I'm in marketing and trying to aid someone in getting a good start with this.

    submitted by /u/YoItsMCat
    [link] [comments]

    Starting my sales career off tomorrow morning, any final words of advice? (B2B, MSP industry)

    Posted: 07 Jun 2020 06:32 PM PDT

    As tiger woods once said, "if you're not nervous, it means you don't care."

    Quite frankly I'm scared as hell but I know I have the potential to be great in this field, I just know there are going to be a loooot of growing pains. Fresh out of college so I know I have a lot to learn.

    I'm pumped to get this thing rolling!

    submitted by /u/bryschmi
    [link] [comments]

    1 comment: