• Breaking News

    Friday, May 29, 2020

    Neighbor finally put their fence up but it’s a little... close? I wasn’t provided a property line survey and it appears to be touching the pillars of my deck Real Estate

    Neighbor finally put their fence up but it’s a little... close? I wasn’t provided a property line survey and it appears to be touching the pillars of my deck Real Estate


    Neighbor finally put their fence up but it’s a little... close? I wasn’t provided a property line survey and it appears to be touching the pillars of my deck

    Posted: 28 May 2020 09:45 AM PDT

    The fence: https://i.imgur.com/ObhxCfb.jpg

    What are your thoughts on this? I'm a new property owner so I have very little insight to the legality or proper procedure of this

    submitted by /u/Strupnick
    [link] [comments]

    # of home sales closing in June 2020...

    Posted: 28 May 2020 01:37 PM PDT

    .... is going to be staggeringly higher than May.

    At least in California, anyways.

    Might be well over 100% increase month on month. At least that's the numbers I am seeing from what I've got going on, and I don't think I've done anything to ramp up my particular numbers above/beyond whatever my "average" market share is. Crazy week, and it's not over yet.

    Anyone else seeing that?

    submitted by /u/aardy
    [link] [comments]

    Is it normal for the home seller to write a detailed response/rebuttal to an inspection report?

    Posted: 28 May 2020 12:57 PM PDT

    Hello, yesterday I posted this thread about my inspection report https://www.reddit.com/r/realestate/comments/grz1ol/_/

    I also got opinions on /r/askengineers and got some very scary but informative answers.

    This morning, I woke up to an email with a 9 page point by point rebuttal from the owner of the house trying to discredit the report of the home inspector.

    Is this normal? What am I supposed to do with this information? I found it a little strange personally...

    Fun tid bits from the rebuttal statements include

    • "Home owner has a doctoral degree in engineering"

    Side note - I googled the man and he has a PhD in bioengineering and appears to do research in prosthetics and orthotics nothing to do with structural issues. My fiance also has a bioengineer degree and is now an MD but he isn't going to comment about house integrity issues with his education anymore than a PhD can stroll into the hospital and claim to be a medical doctor.

    • Many debates about what should or should not be detailed as a major concern in the report. He says the 30 items listed as major concerns either are not real or should be minor concerns.

    • Pointing our that the report is "carelessly written" with grammatical and spelling errors. Calling into question the credibility of the entire report.

    • No evidence of any structural problems in the room

    I already told my realtor that deal is off due to the many issues raised by the report.

    The seller's realtor sent an email claiming our inspector is "trying to kill the sale to make more money from inspections" and some pictures of the owner's own moisture sensor readings to state that there is no moisture issue. They invited me to bring another inspector.

    I in no uncertain terms told my realtor that there is zero chance of proceeding without the opinion of a licensed structural engineer and if the home owners wanted to pay for that then I would be happy to attend. It's not my house so I'm not shelling out another $700 for an engineer to come out to either prove or disprove that there is a structural issue. I am of course not trusting this owner at his word that the moisture doesn't exist and there aren't structural issues as he is obviously going to be biased. I am also unwilling to pay for another home inspector to come out as my guy already did his job and did it well.

    Any advice here. This whole situation just makes me want to scream and run away.

    submitted by /u/littlehamsterz
    [link] [comments]

    House for sale - former owner committed suicide in the backyard/woods. Thoughts?

    Posted: 28 May 2020 02:35 PM PDT

    Hi everyone,

    I'm wondering if anyone has ever purchased a property where there was a suicide on the property - backyard/woods, shotgun. The incident happened more than a decade ago. Widower looks like she's abandoned the property and now the property is up for sale by the bank.

    Thoughts from any realtors? Even owners who purchased a property like this?

    submitted by /u/Whyisthissobroken
    [link] [comments]

    Can I drop my agent? Renting in CA

    Posted: 29 May 2020 03:06 AM PDT

    The last 24 hours has been a hell of a ride. From what I understand, it's stupid to use a real estate agent when renting. As homeowners have to pay your agent's fee if they choose to go with you as a tenant. Thus, homeowners will almost assuredly take you out of the running when applying for a rental, to avoid paying, especially if they're already using an agent of their own to list the property. Why rent to you and pay an agent fee x2?

    Basically, I signed some BS disclosure form with the agent. But nowhere on the agreement does it mention her rate or percentage. I'm wondering if it's possible to just drop her altogether as she hasn't been much help and is essentially cockblocking me from being a legitimate candidate on any rental I apply to. Is there any sort of obligation I have to use her? I mean, people drop agents all the time, don't they? Can I just go on about my applications solo from this point?

    submitted by /u/Droppin_Bombs
    [link] [comments]

    Can I buy a house if I'm on unemployment?

    Posted: 29 May 2020 02:54 AM PDT

    I'm 23 with a credit score of 780 and ~20k in Bitcoin. I currently live in north Jersey but I've already had it with high rent payment and covid is really bad up here.

    Is it even a good idea to do this now or should I wait? I owe about 7k on my car but no other debts besides that. Credit line is at 20k, and unemployment is giving me $480 from my job plus $600 from care act weekly

    submitted by /u/zeusthunder
    [link] [comments]

    Tips for renting out my townhouse

    Posted: 29 May 2020 02:25 AM PDT

    I bought a townhouse to live in and work out of about 6 months ago, but I'm having too many noise issues here. It's too early to sell, so I figure I will rent it out and rent another home for myself. Unsure if tenants will be as bothered by the noise as I am — I'm quite sensitive to noise.

    I've never been a landlord before. Any tips on how to start? Listing, finding tenants, even credit check stuff. I'm completely lost.

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/LevelMiddle
    [link] [comments]

    An ‘Avalanche of Evictions’ Could Be Bearing Down on America’s Renters - NY Times

    Posted: 28 May 2020 01:16 PM PDT

    Nearly a quarter of respondents said they missed their last rent or mortgage payment or had little to no confidence that they would be able to pay on time next month - US Census Bureau

    "Though about 90 percent of renters made full or partial rent payments by late May, down only 2 percent from last year, lawyers and landlords alike fear that the trend will not last. More than 38 million people have filed jobless claims since March, including a high proportion of people living in households making less than $40,000 a year. In a survey released this month by the Census Bureau, nearly a quarter of respondents said they missed their last rent or mortgage payment or had little to no confidence that they would be able to pay on time next month."

    ...."Still, landlords have bills to pay, too. When tenants cannot pay their rent, landlords with mortgages remain responsible to the banks, who answer to investors. "I call it the responsibility chain," Mr. Bannon said. "There is this link, and if there is a break in the link, the ripple effect is pretty significant."

    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/27/us/coronavirus-evictions-renters.html

    submitted by /u/etheraider
    [link] [comments]

    SoCal Market - should I act now or wait?

    Posted: 29 May 2020 01:09 AM PDT

    I've seen a lot of properties listed on apps are dropping their prices. I was thinking to act fast, but I might be wrong. What's your take on this? Should I wait? What's your speculation?

    submitted by /u/lgvara
    [link] [comments]

    Rent with roommates and a new stranger?

    Posted: 28 May 2020 05:32 PM PDT

    The rundown: 4 bedroom house. 4 roommates. $400 per room. The rent was originally split equally in the lease, which is okay as the bedrooms are relatively the same size. One roommate asked if their significant other would be able to live with them in their room and contribute equally to utilities. Mind you, there is one shower, one small driveway and one small living room. Is it fair to the other roommates to allow them to split the single bedroom rent or should they pay more as a couple? Please help...we already signed the lease.

    submitted by /u/bysigningupyouagree2
    [link] [comments]

    (CA, USA) How can you get around not paying capital gains tax on a sale?

    Posted: 29 May 2020 12:58 AM PDT

    Must it be your primary residence? Is there a minimum amount of time you would have had to live in it to avoid paying capital gain tax? I'd appreciate the help!!

    submitted by /u/katana654
    [link] [comments]

    Homeowners, in retrospect, what should have been the most important factors in choosing a house/home?

    Posted: 28 May 2020 10:26 AM PDT

    As we all know, there are a lot of factors when it comes to buying a home: location - schools, location - neighborhood/neighbors, location - proximity to amenities, resale potential, new vs old, city vs suburbs, price, garage/no garage, etc.

    As a first time buyer, I am wondering if what you want in a house changes over time, and if you'd prioritize other factors compared to what you thought you wanted when you first bought the house.

    Granted, responses will vary greatly depending on your location and how long you plan on staying in the home, in any case, would love to hear perspectives from wherever you are geographically and phase in your life!

    submitted by /u/notthrowingawaytrash
    [link] [comments]

    Got a mainline inspection because of this sub, but they couldn’t access it... what now?

    Posted: 28 May 2020 03:27 PM PDT

    Hi everyone,

    I've been an avid lurker here on this sub and noticed that people often recommend getting mainline inspections because they can go unnoticed in home inspections and are super costly.

    I did that today but found out that the mainline inspector wasn't able to get to the mainline. Supposedly after 40 feet he wasn't able to find the mainline and that there were a lot of twists and turns when trying to get the video line down. Still he wasn't able to.

    I guess the house also doesn't have a sewer clean up/out in the front and he recommended me getting that installed so that they can then inspect it. (Costs north of 2.2k).

    I'm in escrow right now and doing inspections, my question is... where do I go from here?

    submitted by /u/branxs2
    [link] [comments]

    Quitclaim issues with selling

    Posted: 28 May 2020 08:13 PM PDT

    So I was quitclaimed a home- which I intended on renting out as income for the family member I received it from.

    I have now switched my plan and intend on selling said home to pay for a home closer to me in cash.

    I am being asked the title company for an uninsured deed affidavit or a grant deed now that I am selling. The condo is 100% paid off for sure, no liens.

    Can anyone give me some insight where to go from here? Sounds like I took a misstep.

    submitted by /u/redditprolurker
    [link] [comments]

    looking for FSBO site

    Posted: 28 May 2020 08:12 PM PDT

    I thought I remembered seeing a website mentioned here a while back that was all about connecting buyers and sellers without realtors. There were a few good reviews. For the life of me, I can't seem to find it or remember what it was called. What are some alternatives to the big brand sites?

    submitted by /u/SynbiosVyse
    [link] [comments]

    Is it a good time to buy a home?

    Posted: 28 May 2020 11:52 PM PDT

    Just a random question since my family is considering it. there is a good deal for an incredible home with a big yard that is pretty much perfect but I fear the recession/depression is going to ruin this all. What is a good idea here?

    submitted by /u/ChickenWithAFadorra
    [link] [comments]

    Closed today!

    Posted: 28 May 2020 11:52 PM PDT

    Closed today on a foreclosure property! Had problems with title insurance and ended up being insured by seller's title insurance and only their insurance agent who was OK with this foreclosure not being fully legal in my state and issued a policy without exceptions. My rate was locked in a month ago, and I asked my lender if I can shop for a lower rate and he said it would be the same for me.. not sure if he lied. My rate is 3.375% with one point on a 30 year conventional loan with 20% down. The house is bad shape and needs a lot of work, but the street is very nice and all the houses are bigger and better there.. the backyard faces a wooded area which is owned by a condominium complex and has a little wetlands, so I am hoping it won't be developed. It is very quiet and you can hear birds chirping and see bees and birds flying around.. it is on the beginning portion of a small dead end street, but right off a big road. It was a Fannie Mae Homepath Foreclosure property, and the first two title insurance agents/lawyers who looked at it said the foreclosure was illegal and the deed is worded in an unusual way and they will not give title insurance for it because of the risks. Some documents surfaced from the foreclosing lawfirm making them feel more comfortable that the previous owner won't return to take the right to the property away from me, and the description problem was not that serious.. I got a $3,600 boundary survey up to ALTA standards done and insisted it be recorded with city.. this also gave me title coverage for boundary disputes (although there won't be any now). I ended up submitting the original offer on the house just for shits and giggles, and put in a thousand dollars over asking price and did not ask for three thousand contribution seller was offering - but was rejected due to other buyer making an offer earlier that day.. two weeks later, the agent called me asking if I'd like to resubmit because previous buyer backed out.. so I was the first in line since all the agent had to do was resubmit the offer he had on file.. this is the cheapest habitable small house in the metro portion of my state!!

    submitted by /u/Positive-Material
    [link] [comments]

    Renting a single family house in California and I need help

    Posted: 28 May 2020 11:40 PM PDT

    Hey all. I'm looking to rent a single family house in the greater LA area and I'm working with an agent and I'm really not sure what I'm doing. And to be quite honest, I'm not sure if she really knows what she's doing. From the jump, I got the feeling that real estate may be a new career for her as she wasn't familiar with how to use docusign and she sent us a half dozen email requests for the same one document. All this being said, I apologize in advance for the length and if I jump around. There's a lot that I have questions on. I'll do my best to explain.

    I'm hoping someone has some experience with the LA real estate market and knows (more than I would) what's considered normal. Here's where we're at today--- > We saw a place this past weekend that we absolutely loved. It's listed at $3K/mo. In our opinion, it's priced well under what it's worth. Compared to the other houses we've viewed, this one has a better location, better layout, more updates, etc and all for a cheap price. So I thought we would apply ASAP and put in an offer at a higher monthly rent... say $3,200/mo to let the owner know we're serious and want it. Our agent advised us that she didn't want to even talk money with the owner's agent yet this early in the game but that she would submit our application with the note that we "want to stay competitive". She said that they'd still be showing the property for another week and that in her experience it wouldn't matter if we submitted an offer at this point and time. Agents, and owners for that matter, typically "play by the rules" and won't entertain any negotiations or offers until they've had it on the market for the agreed on stretch of time or whatever. Essentially, making an offer now wouldn't help our chances and we should just sit tight and wait until the following week.

    Today she's asked us what our top price for this place would be. I'm not sure how to respond because I'm not sure how any of this typically works. She hasn't given us any indication as to whether there are other offers on the table, how many people are interested, if anyone else is over-bidding the price on the listing, etc. And maybe she doesn't have that information. I'm not sure. It just feels like we'd be taking a wild stab in the dark. We love this place. We have excellent credit, money saved, and great income. We're willing to pay more. We're willing to throw down a larger security deposit, or sign a longer lease. We want it. I don't want to lose out on getting it by going too low. But we also don't want to overshoot and say "Yeah, we'll pay $3,600!" when all the other offers are at list or only slightly over $3,000-$3,100. I just don't want to be bidding against ourselves. Another point I should bring up is that this listing is on Trulia. Yes, the agent found it and sent it to us. But anyone and everyone can view the property. So would that incentivize the owner to choose a renter that's NOT working with an agent? Because it's my understanding that our agent's fee is going to be paid by the seller. We've been told that we don't have to pay her. Soooo would it behoove us to reach out directly to the owner's agent via Trulia and negotiate from there? Or should we offer to pay our agent's fee? Do we say that to our agent? I'm really at a loss. I hate that this is one of those subjects they just don't teach you in high school. Who pays what? And when? How do you negotiate? And when? What's the protocol? I'm 30 years old and I still don't understand this whole process. Please help.

    submitted by /u/Droppin_Bombs
    [link] [comments]

    First Time Homebuyer - How do I overcome (potential) buyers remorse?

    Posted: 28 May 2020 07:29 PM PDT

    I am currently in a good position, 3 months left on my lease, down payment saved up, in the process of house-hunting. Because I have 3 months left on my lease (and the ability to move back in w/ parents if I don't find anything in time), how do I decide when and what to buy? There was a pretty good house listed today in my price range, but I'm worried that if I close on the house, that a better house will pop up on the market in the next 3 months. Since this is the biggest purchase of my life, I'm struggling with the fact that other houses that I like better will pop up. Has anyone ever been in this situation? Any advice?

    submitted by /u/wingdongs69
    [link] [comments]

    Business from home and lack of zoning laws

    Posted: 28 May 2020 11:02 PM PDT

    I run an ecommerce business and have been trying to find the most optimal solution to our needs for a space to operate from. For reasons beyond me, commercial properties are a decent amount more expensive than many residential ones (while being cheaper to build, wtf? anyway...).So, it seems like the most cost efficient method would be to buy a house and use it as a warehouse, allowing me to build equity, rent out a spare room, etc. Plus the mortgage would be cheaper than most places I'd rent.

    The business does not have any physical customers and only has a semi-large shipemnt (1-2 pallets) about once a month, plus more amazon packages than most houses, but other than that it would more or less do nothing to disturb the neighborhood. While that doesn't help me legally, it does mean that it's unlikely a neighbor would go out of his way to try and fight it.

    Ok, so, here's where I find it very interesting. Houston has no zoning laws. All zoning is done from deed restrictions as far as I'm aware. So, if I buy a house that isn't an HOA, does that mean I can legally run a business from it? There has to be more to it. While my business would likely operate undetected without any issues, I can't imagine being allowed to open ANY sort of business, especially one that would disturb the neighborhood... like, idk, a stripclub or something. So is my assumption correct that I can run a business from here? Does it depend on each property? Does it depend on the business?

    submitted by /u/TylersDailyThoughts
    [link] [comments]

    As an agent, do you hire photographers or take pictures yourself?

    Posted: 28 May 2020 12:13 PM PDT

    Hello,

    I'm curious as to what's the norm here. Do you as a selling agent hire photographers to take pictures of the listings you're managing or do you take the pictures yourself? If you do it yourself, why? Is it efficient? Can you link me to some educational resources that you found useful?

    If you hire photographers, where do you find good and cheap RE photographers? What are some things to look for? Any information would be helpful. Thanks :)

    submitted by /u/feraferoxdei
    [link] [comments]

    Closed on our house yesterday, but never did final walk through?

    Posted: 28 May 2020 10:17 PM PDT

    First time buyers, and My husband and I closed on the first house we made an offer on! Everything went smoothly for the most part, and it's such a relief to be done with it.
    I've been perusing this Reddit to learn more about the whole process, and realized (too late) that we were never asked to do a final walk through—in fact, I didn't even know it was a thing. Just wondering, is that normal? Should our realtor have mentioned it? We also found out last night (Wednesday), several hours after closing, that we wouldn't be able to go there or move in until friday, because the previous owner was going to be living there until then. It was disappointing, but in the scheme of things, seemed minor EXCEPT for the fact we had changed all the utilities, rented a u-haul, and technically got the keys for it today. Felt sort of anti climatic not to be able to go there right away, and also, another area where I felt like our realtor sort of let us down. Now I'm slightly nervous realizing we haven't seen it since our first viewing over a month ago, and have no idea if it will be in the same condition as we saw it in when we made our offer. I guess I'm just wondering if these are normal things that get overlooked, or should we have been encouraged to do a final walk through, etc. It's all very new to me, and despite my excitement to finally have our own home, the nerves are hitting, too.

    submitted by /u/SorryPerformer5
    [link] [comments]

    Question about finding a realtor online

    Posted: 28 May 2020 06:05 PM PDT

    Hey guys,

    My father's looking for a real-estate agent in Tampa to sell his property and looking for one online is a new experience for him. He had some questions and since I know nothing about real estate I thought I'd come to you all for opinions/advice, really anything at all -- here's the email verbatim:

    (1) Do listwithclever.com and redfin.com deliver what they promise of 'full service support to sellers' while charging discounted fees than the conventional real estate agents.

    (2) If they used above site, How much they saved in commission charges?

    (3) Does anyone have a better suggestions then the websites I described above?. If yes, which are the other services they recommend to save on real estate commissions.

    (hopefully the correct sub for this advice, but thanks in advance!)

    submitted by /u/mirchman
    [link] [comments]

    California Landlord, tenant refusing to pay rent during coronavirus

    Posted: 28 May 2020 03:46 PM PDT

    We have a property in Oakland, CA (alameda county). One of the tenants has been going through some stuff for the past year (not sure exactly but may have been laid off from his job, possible depression/mental issues). Basically he has been incommunicado, and even his parents are unable to reach him. For the past few months his parents have been paying for his rent. But now that the COVID thing is starting they're refusing to pay for his rent, probably to take advantage of the eviction moratorium.

    I was reading the Alamada county moratorium and it says that they have 12 months to pay for overdue rent during the corona crises, and even after those 12 months, can't ever be evicted for those months of unpaid rent.

    So basically if they don't want to pay rent for the next 3 months or however long this lasts, we're out of luck?

    submitted by /u/scohrdarkshadow
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment