• Breaking News

    Thursday, May 28, 2020

    Loans Forgiven!!! Student Loans

    Loans Forgiven!!! Student Loans


    Loans Forgiven!!!

    Posted: 27 May 2020 07:09 AM PDT

    I have been waiting for this day since 2009! I logged into my account this morning and saw that my balance was negative instead of the $59k that stares back at me! I feel so relieved.

    Timeline: 12/28/19 - last qualifying payment 1/2/20 - submitted PSLF application. Ran into some "issues" with my application. Fedloan claimed that some information was missing or unchecked. But I would call them right away and essentially go over the application and they would admit their error and move forward. Had to do this twice though. And my employer had to call in to verify my job. 2/13/20 - received a call from Fedloans after complaining on twitter to them about my application status. Was told that it was finally approved and will be sent to FSA for approval. 3/13/20 - called fedloans to confirm application status. Was confirmed that it was sent to FSA and waiting approval. 5/27/20 - logged into account and balance is negative!

    I did not receive any emails about my PSLF application being sent to FSA or even just now about my loans being forgiven.

    submitted by /u/Lamstvn
    [link] [comments]

    Denied for a mortgage! Lender wants next 3 years proof of monthly payments or uses 1% of loan amount.

    Posted: 27 May 2020 11:09 PM PDT

    My wife an I were just denied for a mortgage after 3 months of escrow! The reason came down to the lenders not taking the student loan monthly payment amounts (Both of us are on Income Based Repayment) without being able to say what the payments would be for the next 3 years. So they wanted to take 1% of the loan amount which is astronomically higher than what we actually pay. It messes up or Debt to Income ratio. This was for a Fannie Mae conventional loan.

    I don't understand it though since the Fannie Mae guidelines on their website state:

    "If a monthly student loan payment is provided on the credit report, the lender may use that amount for qualifying purposes. If the credit report does not reflect the correct monthly payment, the lender may use the monthly payment that is on the student loan documentation (the most recent student loan statement) to qualify the borrower. If the credit report does not provide a monthly payment for the student loan, or if the credit report shows $0 as the monthly payment, the lender must determine the qualifying monthly payment using one of the options below.

    If the borrower is on an income-driven payment plan, the lender may obtain student loan documentation to verify the actual monthly payment is $0. The lender may then qualify the borrower with a $0 payment."

    Any ideas??

    submitted by /u/klassicalkyle
    [link] [comments]

    Cleared defaulted loans - credit score impact

    Posted: 27 May 2020 08:35 PM PDT

    Curious to hear from anyone out there that may have had a similar situation. Long story short I had about 14k of student loans that I never organized myself to make payments. They were in default and driving my credit score down.... I make a decent salary that made the monthly payment the fed govt wanted really high (1200$) for 9 consecutive months to get out of default. Instead of doing of doing that I took out a loan against my 401k (5 yrs at 4% for 17k) and will be clearing my student debt this week. Has anyone taken out their debt from delinquency? If so... what was the impact to your credit score? Mine currently sits around 550 with basically nothing but 3 credit cards at around 20% and the defaulted loans.... eageared to hear from someone who may have gone through the same situation.

    submitted by /u/patobrarug
    [link] [comments]

    Pay out of pocket or Loans?

    Posted: 27 May 2020 03:06 PM PDT

    So basically the title, I'm not sure how to navigate this and don't have a lot of outside help. The school I am going to attend for a Masters in Occupational Therapy will end up being around $70k. The starting salary "hopefully" when I graduate will be around $65-70. I no longer have any undergrad loans, car is paid off and I am likely going to be staying with a friend so my rent will be very low. I have about $65k saved so I know I will have to take out some kind of loan, I'm not sure if I should alternate semesters or...? I'm just a bit lost and stressed. The semester starts this fall and I was accepted late so I could just be panicking and not thinking straight. I'm also 28 and don't want to burn through my savings or pay off interest for 15 years so I can do things like buy a house or start a family. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

    submitted by /u/saltbomber
    [link] [comments]

    Collections agency refuses to put “settlement,” or “debt settlement,” on letter. Why??

    Posted: 27 May 2020 08:27 PM PDT

    We tried to get current with Navient and they sent us to a collections agency. The agency said they would settle our over-10-year-old $33K debt for $5K. We asked for it in writing and were going to pay it until they sent the letter. It just referred to it as an "offer." When asked about it, the rep said they usually don't have people "cause so much problems," and people are usually happy to settle and don't have problems. We spoke with a supervisor and he also couldn't do it. Best he could do is say "the account will be settled in full...." Is this legit? Or are they trying to stay in a loophole? My concern is falling for a scam and the debt being used against us by another collections company. Is there a way to pay Navient, if we don't pay collections?

    submitted by /u/writermomtimestwo
    [link] [comments]

    People should be able to buy lottery tickets that pay down your student debt if you win. The difference between this and a regular lottery is that your winnings are not taxed.

    Posted: 27 May 2020 12:04 PM PDT

    Private loan refinance rates

    Posted: 27 May 2020 04:37 PM PDT

    Has anyone check these rates lately? Has it dropped now that fed fund rate is 0.

    submitted by /u/Tenesmus83
    [link] [comments]

    Private loans

    Posted: 27 May 2020 03:47 PM PDT

    Hey my tuition for this upcoming school year is 30k but I received 10,300 in fafsa grants and so that brings it down to 20k. They also offered me 6,500 in student loans (unsubsidized/subsidized) and 31,500 in Parent PLUS Loans. I thought there was a PLUS loan that is for the student and falls on the student but I just found out that that's only for graduate and professional students. I would prefer not to accept the Parent one or the unsubsidized one. My question is what are some of the cheapest and smartest private loans you all know of? I have a 734 credit score and i've read that if you have a good score it's sometimes better to get private ones as you can get lower rates. Please let me know what you think and if you know of any!

    submitted by /u/WLDcall
    [link] [comments]

    Need some guidance with student loans

    Posted: 27 May 2020 03:21 PM PDT

    Hey All!

    I'm a first year graduate student at a social work program in NYC. I have no UG debt. I anticipate that my school cost will be around 30k by the time I finish in June 2021. My question is currently my debts at 14k. I'm using my AmeriCorps funding to pay it off monthly (around $200 each month). I also have about 16k in my savings. I'm not sure if I should use all of my savings or half of my savings to pay off my debts or let it collect and pay it monthly in hopes of loan forgiveness since I plan on working in nonprofits or schools. Thank you! I'm super lost.

    submitted by /u/Neuroticbutcalm
    [link] [comments]

    Is a 750 FICO significantly better than 701 for student loan refi?

    Posted: 27 May 2020 11:21 AM PDT

    Currently have $50k in student loan debt (FFELP). Poor credit and inattention prevented refinancing in the past, but recently my finances improved which allowed my credit to improve. As of last month my FICO was 701. I am looking to refi and a 15 year term makes the most sense today. I am curious if I should do it now or wait a couple of months when my FICO will be in the 750 range.

    Existing loan: $50k @ 8.25% (yikes!)

    Current offers: 15 yr fixed

    • Earnest @ 5.10%
    • SoFi @ 5.26%

    Will getting those extra few FICO point be worth it in rate reduction, or are these good enough now?

    submitted by /u/August_At_Play
    [link] [comments]

    I've filled out the FAFSA for graduate school, qualify for $20.5k in fed aid, how do I get it?

    Posted: 27 May 2020 11:07 AM PDT

    Hi all,

    This is my first time filling out a FAFSA and/or needing to apply for financial assistance. I thought I would have enough money to be able to get through the first year but I had to re-assess my finances and I don't. I'm really confused about what happens next.

    Some background:

    I'm expecting the entire first year along with personal expenses to cost around $95k (expensive program I know). I have around $40k in my bank account so I will need $55k in loans. My FAFSA form said that I qualify for $20.5k in federal student aid, so then I will need an additional $25k in private student loans -- is this assessment correct?

    Couple questions:

    1. How do I get that $20.k in federal student aid? Does my school give that to me? Do I need to take any further actions to receive it? Just because I qualify for it, does that mean I will get all of it?
    2. What should I watch out for in terms of assessing private student loan options? When should I get it? Any suggested/not suggested companies to work with?

    I plan on using my $40k in my bank account to pay off interest and for personal expenses (i.e. food, rent, my dog) and using the loans strictly for school expenses. For the 2nd year of my program, I will be in a (low) paid residency and receive a 75% tuition scholarship so I'm not quiet worried about that yet.

    I know these loans amount to nowhere near where some other people are, but the idea of being in debt feels debilitating especially after expecting to be able to pay everything (long story, was expecting external funding).

    Thanks in advance for your help!

    submitted by /u/idkmybffjill250
    [link] [comments]

    Do I have to reapply for IDR plan right away if I get a new job?

    Posted: 27 May 2020 10:23 AM PDT

    I have loans through FedLoan and I'm on an income driven repayment plan. For the past two years, I did a paid internship that was minimum wage. So FedLoan determined my monthly payment would be $0.00, because I didn't make a lot of money lol. (I used these past two years to pay heavily on my private loans because my interest rate is very high). Anyway, I just got a new full time job that I will be making more than double at (yayyyyy me). And I start this July. So my question is, should I wait til the end of the year to update my new salary? Or should I do it after I get my first paycheck in July?

    submitted by /u/jhand311
    [link] [comments]

    being overbilled by Unisa for Perkins Loans - what to do

    Posted: 27 May 2020 09:43 AM PDT

    This is in regards to my Perkins Loans, and Unisa is the student loan servicer. Another important thing is that I have autopay set up.

    My monthly payment amount is $53.03. About a month ago, I checked my bank account and realized I'd been being billed $126.06 every month since January. I hadn't done any kind of redetermination or anything so I was really confused. I did some digging and realized I apparently had insufficient funds for December, so they didn't bill me at all, and billed me the $53.03 for December, $53.03 for January, plus a $20 late fee, all in January, which is fine. However, they continued billing me that much every month since, in error. I emailed their customer service and they refused to issue a refund. They even condescended to me and said "if you're struggling with finances, apply for forbearance or unemployment." It's not even about that, and I never said I was struggling, just that I wanted a refund for being overbilled. I also asked them to correct the amount, and then they billed me for $126.06 AGAIN for May.

    Really feel like I'm being screwed over and don't know what I can do. Any help is appreciated. Thank you

    submitted by /u/glitterrhotsauce
    [link] [comments]

    Repayment Advice?

    Posted: 27 May 2020 05:54 AM PDT

    Just finished up my degree last week and have about $26k in loans. Do you think it's feasible/a good idea to live at home for a year and try to put 3/4 of my paychecks to loans? I've got a job paying $42k/yr. Any advice is appreciated!

    submitted by /u/JaxonChan23
    [link] [comments]

    Paid a collections agency and still unsure

    Posted: 27 May 2020 07:56 AM PDT

    Hey. I just got off the phone with a collections agency. Apparently my loan that was originally $500, jumped up to $750 due to daily interest and some other fee. Over all the call was dodgy, but I needed to get this loan out of the way and I gave him my card number over the phone to pay for it in full. I got a confirmation email that looks dodgy and it even has my address misspelled. I don't think I got scammed or anything, this is legit number on one of these debt collectors website but I probably could've avoided paying so much.

    My question is will the misspelled address harm me in any way? Also, there's no change on the studentaid.gov website or the website where the Perkins loan was originally at. I called about half an hour ago. Does this take time to process?

    submitted by /u/Hungry_Mention
    [link] [comments]

    Please assist me with my Father in Laws student loans

    Posted: 27 May 2020 10:31 AM PDT

    hello, i would greatly appreciate if someone would take the time to read this and offer advice

    i am being asked by my father in law to be to help with his student loan situation

    the good news is the provider is Great Lakes and they have always been very reasonable to me

    my fiance attended Keiser University in florida in the early 2000s to obtain a nursing degree

    my understanding of the situation is she was not very thrilled by the quality of the education she received but did graduate and work as a nurse for a little while before she developed the auto immune disorder lupus. thankfully her case is fairly mild but despite her wishes to keep working, her flare ups required short-notice sick days and she struggled to stay employed as a nurse. she is now classified as legally disabled.

    i am not certain if she tried and failed to transfer to a different school at this time, i can find this out if necessary

    keiser was eventually the subject of a class action lawsuit for their misleading practices

    https://studentloansresolved.com/2019/08/09/keiser-university-class-action-lawsuit/

    her father took out a parent plus loan for her attendance at the university

    this specific loan balance was its own free standing entity until several years ago. the father received a phone call from a loan expert (possibly at great lakes). it is my understanding that he later tried to contact them and ask who he spoke to and he was told that individual had separated from the company and their office was closed. basically, he was told specific key phrases that would resonate strongly with his personality and led into consolidating his loans.

    However, he states that despite talking to them on the phone and listening to their information, he never actually signed any documentation. when he called them about this, he was told they had documents with his signature. he requested them and his signature does not match his actual signature. i know this is very he said she said so im open to all reactions and opinions and im trying to help as best i can here.

    i understand there are a lot of moving parts so far.

    the father is now, i call it late middle aged, and he needs to keep working to support himself, try keep helping his family as best he can, and also pay these loans. i have tried to broach the subject of income based repayment but my understanding is that by still working, he operates his own commercial real estate brokerage company i believe, he still makes just too much to qualify for any sort of payment reduction, but it is a burden to him

    is there any way i can help him move forward, i read an article about filing an appeal or something directly to the department of education but cannot find the link. is calling and speaking to great lakes the only option? he gets so stressed he is unable to speak well with them.

    submitted by /u/tuga-bey
    [link] [comments]

    Old loan restarted suddenly what do I do?

    Posted: 27 May 2020 07:46 AM PDT

    So my father cosigned a private loan for my brother in April 2014. My brother never paid the loan and defaulted. In 2019 it disappeared off both my brother and father's credit report, so I'm guessing the statute of limitations came into play (We are from Florida)? This morning I woke up to an email from Experian saying that my father's credit (I watch his account for him) score dropped dramatically. The loan has appeared on his account again, I don't know how this happened. Can anyone explain what happened? What are our options?

    submitted by /u/meloops
    [link] [comments]

    canada student loan not posted on nslc website

    Posted: 26 May 2020 11:50 PM PDT

    how long will it take for a payment to be posted online? where can we see the status if the payment was recieve?

    submitted by /u/jass343
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment