• Breaking News

    Monday, May 25, 2020

    Accounting When the senior stops by your desk with a project at 4:30 on a Friday

    Accounting When the senior stops by your desk with a project at 4:30 on a Friday


    When the senior stops by your desk with a project at 4:30 on a Friday

    Posted: 25 May 2020 04:21 PM PDT

    Idk if this is nextfuckinglevel but this dad is raising his kid with financial knowledge a lot of people don’t receive til way later in life

    Posted: 25 May 2020 08:26 AM PDT

    EY showcasing that if you work hard enough you too can help a Partner get their next supercar

    Posted: 25 May 2020 03:22 PM PDT

    College recruiting be like

    Posted: 25 May 2020 09:49 AM PDT

    Auditing expectations

    Posted: 25 May 2020 08:09 PM PDT

    When I tell my client that you can’t just expense tangible capital assets, and that they have to actually set up a continuity and book annual depreciation.

    Posted: 25 May 2020 08:55 AM PDT

    Oh. Huh....

    Posted: 25 May 2020 01:00 AM PDT

    Have any of you, especially in Internal Audit, been able to get data analytics? I'm studying python

    Posted: 25 May 2020 08:59 PM PDT

    what do pwc, kpmg, or ey stand for? wrong answers only.

    Posted: 25 May 2020 02:25 PM PDT

    what the title says lol

    submitted by /u/taxhelp123456789
    [link] [comments]

    CFE Annonucement [CAN] - Anybody wanna make bets? Anybody else on Edge?

    Posted: 25 May 2020 01:56 PM PDT

    CPA said that they're going to be making an announcement the end of May regarding the CFE. I don't know about all of you, but me and my group of friends read that e-mail line-by-line trying to dissect and decipher what each sentence could possibly mean. Anybody else?

    What do you think is gonna happen? Let's have a pointless discussion to help deal with the built up anxiety on whether this thing is happening or not.

    submitted by /u/Shmon3yTeem
    [link] [comments]

    If you could turn back time and tell your recent graduate self, one thing-- what would it be?

    Posted: 25 May 2020 08:09 PM PDT

    One online course left & I'm a graduate with a full time contract offer starting next month.

    I wanted to ask to perhaps help those in the process of graduating, or recent graduates especially in these unprecedented times, imposter syndrome, grades not enough, to keeping up with the Joneses.

    submitted by /u/millipenny06
    [link] [comments]

    How the fuck did you get into "accounting/finance"?

    Posted: 25 May 2020 03:14 PM PDT

    Were you into numbers during high school? Do you have some family history in the profession? Were you forced? Did you end up liking it?

    In my case, basically my dad and his 3 male brothers were all ex-Big 4. The most passive one have done the best so far. No enemies, a constant steady income. Constant management job. My dad himself made it to a point where he was past senior but his temper was it was bad to work with him. He first go that industy gig job, then the company left our country, then he has to freelance. That's something he resents after this day, me being 26, he being 57.

    To be honest I hated accounting first. Since primary school I was told I was going to either be an accountant, or if I was sure enough I was going to pick my own thing. Started clerical job into my 1x, hated it, almost changed careers. Started getting responsibilities and clients over, I loved it. And there's something I miss from my public days, I can't yet still to find that camaderie I had there. Like, years have passed, you know people, they know your story and dreams, you get to know theirs. Industry is "keep this job and tight to it till you get tired" which is the fucking same to be honest.

    submitted by /u/labradf0rd
    [link] [comments]

    Are there any “Accounting Games” out there?

    Posted: 25 May 2020 07:24 PM PDT

    I know it sounds like a crazy idea for anyone who works in this sector but as a college student who enjoys accounting and wants to retain the info I've learned over the past few years, I can't think of a better way than playing an online game to help retrain my brain. Does anyone know of one or something like it??

    submitted by /u/bazookateeth
    [link] [comments]

    Should I try accounting if I have a horrible memory?

    Posted: 25 May 2020 09:31 PM PDT

    I'm good and quick at math, but I have a disastrous memory. At my current job, I have to write down hundreds of rules in my notebook. It also seems to me from observing people in the accounting department that lots of people are very very very stressed and unhappy. I work at a public company, and I won't list my job because it's a job that few people know and it doesn't really make me an accountant.

    I am looking to get an online accounting degree. The last time I started college was in 2008. I didn't make good choices then. I don't want to make mistakes now either because of the recession. I admit I'm scared to death. I hope somebody can soothe my worries?

    submitted by /u/JimmyFallonSucksDick
    [link] [comments]

    How do I make the most money with an Accounting degree and career?

    Posted: 25 May 2020 05:27 PM PDT

    I know pay isn't that great for B4 compared to those in the finance industry, but what are some career paths that can lead to highest salaries in Accounting?

    I'm considering going B4 audit and then maybe moving onto something else after a few years but I'm not exactly sure what those options are or how the pay stacks up.

    submitted by /u/cheeseman904
    [link] [comments]

    Deloitte relocation, could salary decrease?

    Posted: 25 May 2020 06:12 PM PDT

    I work at Deloitte, right outside of DC. If I transfer offices to the a small city in the midwest, will they try to adjust my salary down due to the lower cost of living?

    submitted by /u/wash_dc_lawyer
    [link] [comments]

    I don’t know what to do with my degree.

    Posted: 25 May 2020 10:50 PM PDT

    I recently graduated with my bachelor's in accounting, and I am struggling. I honestly started feeling like accounting wasn't for me during my last year. I felt so behind everyone else that had these internships and job opportunities and came from an accounting or business background. I never took advantage of the networking opportunities at school because they were either during class or I didn't have time because I had work and live about an hour away from school. I'm also just awful at networking. I just don't know how to do it. I'm scared that I'll never find a job because I don't come off as professional or knowledgeable.

    submitted by /u/aburridayburra
    [link] [comments]

    Do smaller firms have better work life balance during busy season than big 4?

    Posted: 25 May 2020 07:00 PM PDT

    PhD in Accounting - Masters Question

    Posted: 25 May 2020 07:00 PM PDT

    Hello,

    I'm considering applying to an accounting PhD program within the next couple of years. Here's a little bit about me:
    - 3.62 cumulative/3.8 accounting undergrad GPA from Iowa State University
    - No GMAT yet (aiming for 700+)
    - No research experience
    - Three years of corporate accounting experience and a licensed CPA
    - Most advanced math that I took was business calculus

    Obviously, not having a master's degree puts me at a disadvantage. I don't want a Macc degree because most of these programs are geared towards those who don't have 150 credits and are preparing for the CPA exam. I already have my CPA, so I don't see the value. Additionally, I don't see an MBA adding much value when my long-term goal is to pursue a research degree. I'm looking at applying to an MA in economics program at Mizzou where I'll take courses in applied statistics, econometrics, and mirco/macro theory. I feel like this is the best option to prepare myself for a PhD program. I also plan to take calculus I to III at a local community college.

    Provided I can get a ~700 GMAT, would an MA in economics and taking advanced math courses improve my profile?

    FYI, cross posted this on GMAT Club

    submitted by /u/eman12771
    [link] [comments]

    Courtesy of Cheap Ass Gamer

    Posted: 25 May 2020 10:34 PM PDT

    [CAN] Credential Dilution?

    Posted: 25 May 2020 10:18 PM PDT

    I am thinking of pursuing my CPA in Canada, but I was curious to know what members here think of the designation.

    I have heard pass rates are quite high for the mods (around 90%) and even the CFE (around 80%), and so it seems likely I could handle the program (maybe). But I am wondering if there is a chance the letters are becoming less valuable. CPA Canada churns out roughly 5000 to 7000 CPAs a year. Is there concern that this title will become much less valuable in the future?

    Thanks all!

    submitted by /u/Enron-Accountant
    [link] [comments]

    When calculation NPV, would feasibility study cost not be included since it is a sunk cost?

    Posted: 25 May 2020 09:50 PM PDT

    For my project the feasibility study cost is used to explore options before the project is commenced. Does that mean that since this study cost is expensed before the different options even begin, it will be a sunk cost and not included in the P&L and cash flow statment for NPV Analysis?

    P.s I know there isnt a lot of context, let me know if any extra details are required.

    Cheers

    submitted by /u/VanHouzem
    [link] [comments]

    Why do people write tax years like 1997i, 2001i, 2018i?

    Posted: 25 May 2020 05:24 PM PDT

    What does the "i" mean or indicate.

    I ask because I am trying to access old tax software and I see 98i in the file extension. I tried Googling, but I've seen i/I used after Fiscal Year and I'm not sure what it means.

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/NullOfficer
    [link] [comments]

    Starting to think the accounting major is not for me. I’m in Intermediate 2 and the fucking exams look NOTHING like the lectures/quizzes/homework/practice. Maybe this means I don’t know how to apply the material to brand new situations?

    Posted: 25 May 2020 03:04 PM PDT

    Idk man. Just broke my calculator on my desk after the exam. Fucking raging over here. I am a 4.0 student, and this class is making me question this accounting bullshit. I got 8 problems wrong out of 35. I hate deferred taxes, I hate DEPS and dividend bullshit. I hate anything related to equity.

    How the fuck do you guys remember all this material and pass a CPA exam? We have 3 exams in Intermediate 2, that was the 2nd. I got an 88% on the first one and a 77% just now. They're all cumulative, and the exams are 73% of the final grade. I finished Int 1 with an A, and it's definitely not going to happen now. But it's not really the grade that's bothering me. This is starting to make me feel like when it comes time to sit for the CPA, I'm fucked because I don't know how to apply knowledge and I can't remember 4 million concepts.

    Should I quit? Do you have any advice?

    submitted by /u/AssLiability
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment