• Breaking News

    Thursday, April 30, 2020

    Personal Finance I'm in my 20s and feel trapped and overworked in my career and don't feel confident in my skills to switch jobs.

    Personal Finance I'm in my 20s and feel trapped and overworked in my career and don't feel confident in my skills to switch jobs.


    I'm in my 20s and feel trapped and overworked in my career and don't feel confident in my skills to switch jobs.

    Posted: 30 Apr 2020 02:33 PM PDT

    I'm 25 and I joined a consulting company straight from college. I have a degree in CS but honestly I was never that great at programming and while I enjoyed the contents of the class, I was a pretty average B student. Always felt like most of my projects were a Frankenstein of StackOverflow answers and other resources. Anyways I got a great job out of college paying 75K which after promotion currently I make 100k. I'm in "tech consulting" and honestly this job is nothing like I was promised. The company is great and very well known, but my day-job is more managing, creating processes and PowerPoint slides, data gathering, etc. It has nothing to do with my major and honestly I haven't written a single line of code since I joined 3 years ago.

    I feel that I've lost all my skills and I have no motivation to even learn anything. Its like I'm just a mindless robot doing client work...and the only good thing is the paycheck. I don't know what to do from here. If I want to switch jobs I know that will require some serious work from my end in prepping for interviews, studying, etc. But I don't even know what other job I want to go into, and by the time I finish working during the day I'm too tired to want to do anything else. I don't feel confident as a programmer anymore especially since I was never all that great in college, and at least where I live I know the jobs don't pay anywhere near 100k. I've been pretty miserable at the job for the past 2 years, but the salary lets me max out all my 401k, Roth IRA, HSA, and still have money left for expenses/pleasure/investments.

    At this point I don't even really have any hobbies or friends anymore since I'm working constantly. If it wasn't for my SO I would truly be going insane, so I'm thankful to have her. And I'm also thankful to have a job during these hard times especially one that pays well, but I just don't know where to go from here.

    submitted by /u/feelingstuckjob
    [link] [comments]

    Bank of America has put some sort of fraud review hold on my account and won’t remove it

    Posted: 30 Apr 2020 04:05 AM PDT

    Bank of America has put a -$888,888.88 pending hold on my checking account as some sort of fraud review hold or something (making my account super negative) and they won't fix the situation. This started Monday (4 days ago).

    It all started when I withdrew funds from my PayPal. My PayPal had a pretty high balance, more than usual, and PayPal wasn't letting me withdraw the whole balance in one go so I just withdrew 50% of the balance and then waited a few minutes and then withdrew the other half.

    I guess having two deposits of the same exact amount to my bank account tripped something because instantly I went to my bank account and it was negative $720,000 or something around that.

    I immediately drove to the bank and was told that the only way to solve this was to call a number. I've been calling the number given to me for 4 days, all day long, and I've just had my time wasted. I've been hung up on countless times, forwarded constantly and passed around between departments that just keep forwarding me or hanging up on me (once I got forwarded to a trailer park that had nothing to do with BoA).

    It's just been a mess. I keep getting told there is no flag or risk on the account, just the hold, but no one knows how to remove it.

    Can I file something to speed this up? I can't use my bank or card for anything right now because of my super negative balance.

    EDIT: I had a $114,000 balance before the hold was placed so closing my account and moving on isn't an option for me. I'm not letting BoA steal that money.

    submitted by /u/TimmyTurner3432
    [link] [comments]

    Closed on house, now lender is threatening to call loan due

    Posted: 30 Apr 2020 08:00 AM PDT

    Hi r/personalfinance,

    First time home buyer, so please forgive any stupid questions I may have here. Closed on a house last Friday. All went well and paperwork was signed. This week I get a call from the bank basically saying they forgot to check if I had paid down my credit card, and that I need to do that ASAP. I'm able to pay it off now, but we had just bought a bunch of things for the house that I wasn't expecting to pay until June (when the next CC bill is due). Paying it would leave me with little cash left over for emergencies/living expenses/food. I pushed back on them a bit and they threatened to call the loan due. Do they have the right to do this? How much leeway do I have? I am not really sure where to proceed. I feel I should just pay it off for simplicity but wanted to know where to go from there. It feels really shady that they would threaten that after the closing, as it was their oversight.

    EDIT: I have opted just to pay the CC to avoid any issues. Thank you for all your advice. Wanted some clarity on the matter since I have never gone through this process before. Live and learn I guess. Thanks again all.

    submitted by /u/4throwingitaway4444
    [link] [comments]

    I have $10,000 dollars in medical debt, but the collection agencies are being called scams

    Posted: 30 Apr 2020 10:43 AM PDT

    I have looked into my medical debt recently, because I'm finally getting to a place where I can start paying on it. When I looked into the two collection agencies that my debts are being done through, they have had lawsuits and BBB complaints against them. All primarily saying that they were a scam, even though they are registered collectors. One even had a lawsuit for processing fees that they were charging. I am concerned about paying off my debt with them so I am unsure what to do.

    submitted by /u/GoddessLunaTick
    [link] [comments]

    I just "inherited" money. Any advice?

    Posted: 30 Apr 2020 12:31 PM PDT

    I don't know where else to post this. But I did get money from playing the L word. It is more money than I ever thought I would ever have in my life. And I am still shaking at the thought of it while I type this.

    I am in Texas. I am almost 20 and a few months. And technically I am on unemployment while the coronavirus stuff is happening. Is that going to affect anything? Do I need to think about changing Banks? I also have told no one about this including family.

    Thank you for all the advice

    submitted by /u/cheergurl00
    [link] [comments]

    (US)(21) What to do with "extra" money?

    Posted: 30 Apr 2020 07:59 PM PDT

    I was very fortunate, and I have just graduated college debt free. I don't have an official job yet, but I run my own "small business" that pays the bills but has no potential for growth. I do have a sales job that pays straight commission with no benefits. I do not plan on sticking with it but it's open now and making me some money so until I find a "official job" I am fine where I'm at. I do have other money in less liquid assets, like cars and a couple of bonds.

    Basically, I have about 28k in savings currently. 8k is in a parents account and I don't want to touch it. It sits and they use it when they make a big purchase to avoid debt purchases. My parents are great and when I'm ready to use that money they will write me a check. I have wrote off 5k in savings as an emergency fund for a year (my expenses are incredibly low (250 normally, 400 max), as my parents own the condo I live in, I just pay the HOA/utilities. I plan on staying here for at least another year or two). I plan on using half of that 5k emergency savings when I get an official job so I can put 100% 401k contribution into my account in year 1 (I assume 6 months will get me to 19k, and leave enough money to pay taxes). That leaves a 6 month emergency fund, and $15k. I then was thinking I could contribute the max this year $6000 to my IRA (already established with about $1200 balance). This leaves me at $9k where I sit now.

    My question is, as a 21 year old with no debt, and considerable parent support, what should I do with the remaining account to best set me up for the future? Should I find a high interest bank account or short term bonds (1-2 years) and plan to hold it to buy a house in 2 years, or is there something better I should do with it?

    I live in a place where 200k can get you a very nice home, and realistically a "starter" home is probably around $120-150k.

    EDIT: I followed the flowchart, that's how I got to this conclusion. I reached the end and stuck 6k into a second IRA retirement account, leaving what's above.

    submitted by /u/evanhuttonfc
    [link] [comments]

    Roommate late on utilities payments

    Posted: 30 Apr 2020 10:25 AM PDT

    Currently living with two roommates and splitting utilities evenly. The roommate who won't pay is living very paycheck to paycheck and does not have a job (will be starting one in June though). Should also mention that utilities are under my name (something I am regretting) because I know I will pay on time every month. One roommate is 2 weeks behind on electric bill and has been ignoring my Venmo request and reminder. Yesterday I brought it up face to face and he says he is dead broke. I know he doesn't have much money but keep in mind he said this while ordering a $20+ pizza (and take out the night before) and making a comment on how expensive it was. He is quite reckless with his money (has been buying expensive foods, booze, etc.) He says he is currently prioritizing rent and food (which his parents are helping him with). I asked when he thought he could pay me and he said sometime within the next month. That is too vague for me and I am looking for a more concrete solution to the problem. How firm can I be with him and is calling him out for unnecessary purchases too far for me? I am fairly stingy with my finances but other utility bills are coming due and it seems he will not be paying those.

    submitted by /u/armit1
    [link] [comments]

    [ADVICE] Want to know if roommate is trying to con me out of money.

    Posted: 30 Apr 2020 06:15 PM PDT

    I moved into a two bedroom townhome at the beginning of march, and upon moving in my roommate mentioned to me that i should pay half of the water, trash, cable/internet and electrical deposits.

    If i was moving into a NEW place for both parties, and these weren't already established as they are in this situation, I would be all for going halfsies on these deposits. My roommate's reasoning for me paying half of the deposits was 'in case he decided to leave' as these amenities are all in his name.

    Im seeking advice on this situation because my gut is telling me that this guy is trying to manipulate money out of me. Even if there wasnt a pandemic that forloughed me from my job the first week i moved in i would be wary of this situation.

    Am i being paranoid or is my gut feeling legitmately accurate?

    Thanks everyone hope your all well

    submitted by /u/Irocbackwards
    [link] [comments]

    I (19) am very likely to be kicked out of my parent's house very soon.

    Posted: 30 Apr 2020 11:04 AM PDT

    Read the bold if you want a TL;DR.

    The bot doesn't like references to a certain global situation, so I replaced all references to it with [bad thing]. I don't think this belongs in the [bad thing] mega-thread, but correct me if it does.

    Ever since my University shut down, I have been living back at home with my parents. Recently, they have grown increasingly hostile with me over every small issue. They recently told my older brother that they were planning to kick me out, insinuating that it is because of my "drug use" (I'm not sure what they're convinced that I'm doing). They have been making more and more aggressive 'suggestions' that I should just move out. I'm pretty sure they're planning to kick me out within the next month.

    I have about $1,800 in savings (rounding conservatively) and $871 to pay off on my credit cards, leaving me with just about $900 of available cash. I do not have a job as I have always just worked freelance design jobs for money. I have had no issues making some money online in the past, but it would be risky for me to bet 100% on making a living online, especially during the [bad thing]. Even 6 months from now I'm not going to have the same income opportunities that I would have had just a few months ago.

    With no job, no car, no money, and minimal time, I feel kind of helpless here. I "have" ~$10k that is supposed to be mine (savings from the first ~16 years of my life), but my parents used it to remodel the kitchen and now that money is just promised to me. The account was closed with the bank statements shredded, so I have no way of proving anything, not that it would likely help anyways. I assume that this money is as good as non-existent in my eyes.

    If they kicked me out I wouldn't even know what to do. I don't know anyone who lives near me that would allow me to live with them, especially not during the [bad thing].

    I have skills that can be used to make money. I have been doing graphic design and programming for money for about 6-7 years, but never really took it to a place where I could generate enough income to live on my own. For reference, I am in NJ, so even living a financially minimal lifestyle in a studio apartment would require an income far above what I am confident in earning on my own. Campus housing is off the table for the foreseeable future due to the [bad thing].

    What, if anything, can I even do here? I feel like getting kicked out is always a very tough situation financially, but with the current state of the world, I don't even feel like there's a chance.

    I appreciate any and all replies. Thank you! I apologize that I'm kind of all over the place here, I'm just trying to write down as much information as I can that seems relevant.

    EDIT: This is r/personalfinance. Stop assuming things about my personal life. If you can't take this at face value as a financial question, then don't reply. There are much better family counselors than Reddit. Just because the only 19-year-old you know is a complete loser doesn't mean that we all are.

    submitted by /u/CrystalVivian
    [link] [comments]

    Working on my 2019 Taxes, the wages in my W2 is $12k more than on my last paystub from 2019

    Posted: 30 Apr 2020 07:49 PM PDT

    Hey all, I'm a server in PA and i "make" 2.83/hr. I don't get a paycheck, ever. Therefore, i don't get paystubs unless i ask for them.

    After doing the federal portion of my taxes, it calculated that i owed about $2,000. I immediately logged off out of frustration. I then asked my managers for a copy of a paystub from the last working week of 2019. They dodged it the first 2 times. I believe they said they "couldn't access them" and asked why i needed it. I felt like a bourdon so i didn't wanna press it, but the entire interaction felt uneasy and partially shady. Then, right before the shutdown we had an employee meeting and i made sure i wasn't leaving without a copy of my last paystub (from 2019). I got my paystub and the wages, tips, etc for the year, was almost $12k LESS than what was on my w2.

    We get all credit card tips "loaded" on a debit card kinda thing and there's an app that shows monthly statements. After adding every monthly deposit up, i came to a number very similar to what was on the last paystub of 2019.

    I owed on my taxes last year (2018/same employer), so i expected owing but not this much. Also, I looked up my wages from 2018 and they were similar to the number i found on my paystub/after calculating my monthly "card loads."

    I know there's something wrong here but I'm not sure what it is exactly. My mom is urging me to contact my boss and ask him why the wages are substantially different but I wanted to ask the internet first on how i should proceed. Thank you all. Stay safe out there

    submitted by /u/redditrang
    [link] [comments]

    Will a collection agency actually remove collections from my credit report?

    Posted: 30 Apr 2020 03:47 PM PDT

    Hello, I had 2 medical payments in collections that I finally had the money to pay off. I called Americollect and asked if when I paid them would it be possible to remove the collections from my account. They said if I paid both balances in full, which I was already going to do, they would remove both from my reports like they were never there in the first place. Was this a lie? I did not request written proof, I didn't realize that I should beforehand. I'm 22 and learning all this on my own. The collection agency is Americollect in WI.

    I know paying the balance wouldn't improve my credit, but if they do remove them would it boost my score? Thanks

    submitted by /u/LordWombatz
    [link] [comments]

    Dad (US) passed, left me as a beneficiary life insurance, am non-US citizen living in Europe.

    Posted: 30 Apr 2020 03:02 PM PDT

    Hi,

    My dad died and put me as a beneficiary on his life insurance. He was a US citizen. I'm not living in the US nor do I hold US citizenship. The form that I need to fill out asks for a SS number / tax ID number as well as I assume a US residence.

    I'm concerned about what difficulties I will encounter because I am not residing in the US or have US citizenship. Would I be heavily taxed for this reason? Or somehow ineligible to receive my claim? Would the claim process be made difficult / impossible? I tried searching through the insurance company's site but there is no indication of what steps I have to take as a non resident/citizen, hence my concerns.

    I have already sent the insurance company an inquiry and am waiting for a reply. I wanted to ask here on reddit just incase anyone has knowledge of what I can expect or any other information I should be concerned with.

    Sorry if this post is not precise enough, everything is all crazy and weird and sad right now. Any reply is greatly appreciated.

    submitted by /u/Fantasycooking
    [link] [comments]

    HSA Account Question

    Posted: 30 Apr 2020 02:54 PM PDT

    So my employer and myself contribute to my HSA account. I am 25. Would it make more sense to save all my health receipts in a filing cabinet and use my HSA to reimburse myself when I'm 65? Can't you invest the HSA funds all tax free?

    submitted by /u/WhiteSox505
    [link] [comments]

    Transworld collections added a questionable amount to our bill.

    Posted: 30 Apr 2020 08:11 PM PDT

    Got a call as we usually do from collections. Couldn't stop laughing when Transworld told me there was an adjustment made to our bill. Our debt went from $159 to $259,371.38. He was reading from a script like he was trying to collect $50. I was like, do you see a fucking problem here?! Is this a mistake or are we being defrauded? I spoke to a manager, and they put the claim "in dispute", but they would not send me a document with the new adjustment. Or maybe they are fudging up their numbers to get corona relief funds somehow? What's my next move? Report them? To who?

    submitted by /u/LitterReallyAngersMe
    [link] [comments]

    Can I actually afford a house?

    Posted: 30 Apr 2020 09:08 PM PDT

    First time home buyers, on paper, everything checks out. Our total payment (including taxes, insurance, PMI and HOA) is $600 more than current rent. We have no problem with that. There's still money in the budget for 2k savings after everything else is taken care of. What am I missing? Like I said, on paper it all seems great, but why!?

    submitted by /u/Spare-Rutabaga
    [link] [comments]

    I’m likely to receive a job offer from a major pre-ipo startup and they mentioned equity could be part of my compensation. Could someone explain what this means and what to look out for?

    Posted: 30 Apr 2020 05:53 AM PDT

    I've had five interviews and I'm nearly breaking my fingers because they are so crossed. When I spoke to the recruiter, aside from not blinking at my base salary request, she mentioned equity could be part of the deal.

    I'm used to straight salary, no bonus, no equity. That's my comfort zone when it comes to negotiating. If they call me, I want to be ready to negotiate knowledgeably. At this point I only have a general understanding of equity at a startup. And from what I've seen, investors are speculating an ipo might come mid-2021 to early 2022.

    Has anyone been through this who can give me a primer?

    submitted by /u/TheKerpowski
    [link] [comments]

    $6000 tax return on a $22000 income?

    Posted: 30 Apr 2020 08:41 PM PDT

    Some of you might recall my previous post, in which I shared that I'm 24 and have never filed my taxes. Well, I did so for 2019 tonight using TurboTax, and my tax refund is 6000... Is that possible? I filed it, and got an email saying the IRS accepted my tax return... however, that seems like a disproportionately large amount of money?

    I do still need to file taxes for previous years.

    submitted by /u/growingpainzzz
    [link] [comments]

    What to do with retirement coming up?

    Posted: 30 Apr 2020 08:26 PM PDT

    Posting on behalf of my parents who are 60 and plan on retiring in 5 years or so.

    They inherited about 400k that they would like to park in a zero/minimal risk account until they're ready to retire.

    I've looked into online banks like Marcus by Goldman Sachs and Ally which offer about 1.5% interest.

    Other options include treasury bonds, corporate bonds, CDs, etc. Probably not ETFs as even low risk ETFs might be too much risk at their age.

    What would be the best option for them?

    submitted by /u/throwaway10_11
    [link] [comments]

    Do not give out any personal information or authentication code if your bank calls you talking about a fraud alert on your account.

    Posted: 30 Apr 2020 10:16 AM PDT

    There seems to be a scam going on and I just barely avoided it, my girlfriend said she would have fallen for it 100%.

    I got a call that showed up as a "Spam Risk" number on my phone yesterday, I didn't answer, they kept calling. I figured I'd answer the third time just to see if it was a mistake by caller ID.

    They asked me my name, I confirmed yes that was me. They said I have a CC charge that hit my account from a state I dont live in, they asked if I knew about this. I said no, and they said "Ok, we are going to reverse and cancel that charge right now for your account ending in #### (my actual last 4 digits of CC)" They then said "We are sending a verification code to your account now to confirm your identity."

    I said "Why? Have you not already reversed the charge" Caller: "Yes but we need to verify this is truly your phone / identity to complete the process" Me: "Okay, I will call the main bank fraud number to go through that process then" Caller: "Well sir, they phones lines are very busy right now and you will have a hard time reaching anyone if you call..." Blah blah blah kept saying some more stuff about how they need the verification code to reverse the charge... 

    When I went to the phone details about the call it was spoofed because the call came from the actual fraud main phone number from the bank, so if I had called back I would have actually been routed to the bank.

    The text I received to my phone was from the actual bank text number that i receive text alerts from and said "Thank you for adding your credit card to your digital wallet. Please use this one-time activation code to complete enrollment: ######"

    The scam caller was a very professional sounding women and was a native english speaker. If I had given out that activation code I would have just added my credit card to someones iPhone most likely.

    Be safe out there.

    submitted by /u/Betrayus
    [link] [comments]

    Debt collectors keep calling me over a medical pay that I started to pay off

    Posted: 30 Apr 2020 05:28 AM PDT

    I had an emergency surgery in 2019, my insurance covered most of it but I still owe $1500. I am a university student so needless to say I cannot pay all of it at once. I had debt collectors start calling me about this payment about a month ago, they call about 3-4 times daily. About a week ago I called the hospital and they let me know to just pay as much as I can every month, so I made my first payment (it was only 10$ but they said as long as I start paying anything, monthly, I will be fine). But the debt collectors still keep calling me daily (I haven't answered at all). How do I get them to stop since I am paying this off directly to the hospital?

    submitted by /u/itsmeee66
    [link] [comments]

    When does credit score stop mattering?

    Posted: 30 Apr 2020 07:45 PM PDT

    At what point does a higher credit score stop affecting things? My original goal was to get to the lowest mortgage interest rates, but having done that I'm wondering if there are any more benchmarks to be excited about.

    submitted by /u/YesICanMakeMeth
    [link] [comments]

    I have never created a Paypal account and I received an email saying they’ve closed my account.

    Posted: 30 Apr 2020 12:43 PM PDT

    Should I be worried about fraud or any charges? All they have is my email, correct?

    submitted by /u/ficklemofocker
    [link] [comments]

    How do people use their credit card for everything but maintain a good credit utilization?

    Posted: 30 Apr 2020 07:16 PM PDT

    I just put all my bills on my credit cards but forgot about the whole utilization of it all.

    How do I manage that it doesn't make sense to me.

    submitted by /u/Nateddog21
    [link] [comments]

    New home buying

    Posted: 30 Apr 2020 11:41 AM PDT

    So I'm a veteran and I'm trying to get a va home loan. I had a student loan go into collections and I was told by someone that I won't be able to use the va loan because since my student loan is defaulted (which is a federal loan) this cancels me from using a federal back VA loan. Is this true?

    submitted by /u/saintthomas666
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment