• Breaking News

    Wednesday, February 5, 2020

    Venting- how difficult is sales compared to other jobs? Sales and Selling

    Venting- how difficult is sales compared to other jobs? Sales and Selling


    Venting- how difficult is sales compared to other jobs?

    Posted: 05 Feb 2020 11:11 AM PST

    My girlfriend and I are both in our late 20's having graduated college a few years ago. She went on to get her masters degree and works in a lab as a mechanical engineer. I have a bachelor's degree and work in manufacturing as a sales engineer selling capital equipment and engineering services. Currently, our salaries and take home pay are nearly identical coming in around 80-90k, but I have the upside of uncapped earning potential.

    What is not nearly identical is our day to day workload and stress. She has told me time and time again how astonishingly easy her job is and she spends much of her day hanging out in her office waiting for the next project to come in. And this is by no means because she is lazy, there simply is nothing for her to do much of the day. Her bosses love her and she does a fantastic job. It just so happens that she has fallen into what seems to be the ultimate dream job (if your goals are being stress-free and low workload while still making a decent salary). She will sometimes boast how she went an entire day without speaking a single word to another person. Of course this is just a humorous way of her expressing how her job is not demanding at all.

    Now pan over to all of us in sales....I won't get into it you all know that our days do not compare to this in the slightest. I probably spend more energy just prepping mentally for a 2-hour prospecting call-block then she spends on her toughest day of the week. I just wonder....am I in the wrong field? Or, is this job simply put, extremely difficult. Many times I'll be mid-day driving to my 4th appointment about to get out of my car having had 3, one-hour long meetings before 2pm and just wonder what she is doing back at the office.

    Sales is extremely taxing for me. Switching tasks so often during a single day is exhausting. Talking to so many different people who often don't want to talk to you is exhausting. Is this the case for everyone? How can I keep a more positive mindset and not always be wondering how I can get into a job more like the one my girlfriend has?

    Finally, I understand the earning potential is higher in sales and that is why this job can be more demanding. With that said, I would still rather work 1x and earn 90k per year, than work 10x and make $150k per year. There needs to be some logical balance of the amount of work I am putting in and the amount of money I am making.

    submitted by /u/tmajewski
    [link] [comments]

    Fanatical Prospecting is an amazing book

    Posted: 04 Feb 2020 06:28 PM PST

    I keep referring to it. It's an amazing book. Especially the chapter about mental toughness. It's really helping me going through some shit.

    "The ability to work hard and respond resiliently to failure and adversity; the inner quality that enables individuals to work hard and stick to their long-term passions and goals."

    WAKE UP EARLY, PROSPECT, TALK TO MORE PEOPLE, ADD MORE TO YOUR PIPELINE, CLOSE MORE DEALS, EARN MORE MONEY.

    submitted by /u/SalesAficionado
    [link] [comments]

    Any good solutions/SAAS sales books?

    Posted: 05 Feb 2020 07:26 AM PST

    I work in SAAS sales for an Ad Tech company. Currently lacking motivation and things are slow. Are there any good books I can read that will help me build structure, motivation and become more successful? Most of my deals are around $100k and take 6 months or so to happen.

    submitted by /u/Penderyn
    [link] [comments]

    How long do you stay in your entry level sales role?

    Posted: 05 Feb 2020 05:06 AM PST

    I have just completed my 3rd year in an entry level sales roll (payroll, copiers,etc) and I am trying my best not to get trapped in this level of sales. I run a large territory and have surpassed quota ever year.

    I have had a few interviews, and nothing has really stuck yet. I am told by interviewers after my sessions that I am a good candidate and I have good skills, however, there are just people with more direct experience applicable to the roles I am looking at. I am looking at SaaS roles that ask for 3-5 years of w.e.

    How long did you stay in your entry B2B job before moving over to SaaS, Med Device, Etc.? Should I wait until I have 5 years before trying to leave?

    Would it make sense to leave my current company and join a ADP or Xerox for the name recognition or is that moving backwards?

    submitted by /u/DarthBroker
    [link] [comments]

    Construction Sales

    Posted: 05 Feb 2020 12:00 PM PST

    I make around 50 calls a day, I always leave a message, because it's not like I'm selling bean bags. But honestly, I fucking hate it. Seriously, I can't even pick up the phone anymore. I'm not really learning anything, I've been doing this for a year and I feel like I haven't gotten any better at it , I always wonder if I keep this up for 5 years where will it take me. So far it's looking like nowhere. Closing or even getting an appointment at this point seems like it'l never happen. I just want people who are struggling with the same issues as me to help me understand how they deal with it, especially if you have options.

    I would like advice of call fatigue, I'm not super conscientious, techniques to keep calling would help.

    submitted by /u/ThisSubIsRacistAsf
    [link] [comments]

    Dialing cell phones?

    Posted: 05 Feb 2020 11:46 AM PST

    This has been an interesting discussion at my work before. We sell to IT.

    Do you call cell phones for cold outreach? Care to share your thoughts on if you think it helps, or just pisses them off most of the time?

    submitted by /u/GoldFeeling
    [link] [comments]

    Sales people who work with 3rd party implementors, how do you choose which partner to bring in on the deal?

    Posted: 05 Feb 2020 11:24 AM PST

    What are the most important things to consider when selecting an implementation partner to work with a prospect/client?

    submitted by /u/xXxM0RPH3USxXx
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone work in renewals?

    Posted: 05 Feb 2020 11:15 AM PST

    Hi /r/sales ,

    I'm currently working as a BDR and I like it but I don't love it. My initial thought was to leave my current company (I would need to stay quite a bit longer if I wanted to transfer internally) and try to get a sales ops position elsewhere. Through my search I received an offer to work in renewals for another SaaS company, and this would be about a 60% raise from my current OTE with the base salary making up a larger portion of my total comp.

    I'm curious to see if anyone on this sub works just on renewals (I wouldn't be responsible for upsell/cross sell at all), and if so I'd love to hear how you like your job. I never really came to love prospecting and honestly resented having a quota, so I'm wondering if I'm silly for even considering this job.

    Thanks in advance for any feedback or thoughts!

    submitted by /u/SimilarlyLargeDog
    [link] [comments]

    Your Happiness Goals in 2020

    Posted: 05 Feb 2020 10:18 AM PST

    What are your Happiness goals in 2020 and what are you guys doing to achieve them atm?
    Let's start a conversation!

    submitted by /u/_Denis_S
    [link] [comments]

    Sales process tips Websites - a little help for someone keen to learn and apply.

    Posted: 05 Feb 2020 08:42 AM PST

    Hi chaps and chapettes,

    Hoping to pick the brains on those of you who have experience selling websites or feel they could add some valuable input.

    A few months ago I decided to put my skills to the test and approach local businesses to help out with their digital marketing and or update/create a website for them. My sales process involves working my way through google looking for businesses which fit my criteria (Old/pooly built/poorly ranked website). From here thety go onto my prospecting list and the process begins.

    I've read plenty of books on sales and enjoy prospecting, I feel as though it has "clicked" and I have a set strutcure of how a phone call will typicallly go and am comfortable setting up meetings for myself. As such i'm relatively happy with this stage of the sales process, of course, i'm always open to learn.

    My problem comes upon meeting the client, compared to the structure of my prospecting I feel as though I am slightly winging it. I ask open ended questions however I feel as though I fail to add value. I met with a prospective customer this morning, we had a great conversation, he even mentioned that he was impressed with my sales approach. Although I was the one asking the open ended questions, I feel I did have overall control of the conversation however I think I failed to lead the conversation to where I needed it to go (if this makes sense?). It seems as though I was slightly back and forth on what I was saying which possibly lead to me missing points/questions.

    This leads me to my question/s. For those who do this, how do you tend to structure your meetings? Also, while we're at it, how do you guys tend to transition to discussing price. I did this earlier and it was fine however I feel as though this could have been handled alot smoother.

    Appreciate any and all input.

    Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/SomeBlokeFarAway
    [link] [comments]

    How to get a remote sales job (looking for something straight commission)

    Posted: 05 Feb 2020 07:58 AM PST

    I moved to bumfuck nowhere but it's a pretty beautiful little town which is why I'm here. Problem is there isn't any sales jobs around where I can make good money. I'm looking for a good remote sales job where there's good money to be made, preferably straight commission. Where can I find jobs like this? I've checked indeed but have only found one which I applied to and I'm waiting for a reply back.

    Any suggestions? I'm in Canada.

    submitted by /u/swagbasket34
    [link] [comments]

    Sales Conversion Chart Advice

    Posted: 05 Feb 2020 07:31 AM PST

    I'm struggling with the concept of how to show lead conversion by percentage for a given time frame.

    A bit of background. Say I added 30 leads into our sales funnel in January. The average timeline to purchase of a lead is 30 days, how do I show a conversion %? Would you look at those leads added in January, converted in February, and back date the success to January? It seems like a very simple objective but struggling to show this accurately.

    I hope this is clear, thanks for any help!

    submitted by /u/hocks103
    [link] [comments]

    Is it me? Or is it the product?

    Posted: 05 Feb 2020 12:21 AM PST

    Hi, i recently got a job for B2B sales a couple of months back. However i havent been able to close a deal so far. Closest ive gotten was by pitching the product to a few prospects but all ive got was a "ill get back to you" or "your product is lacking/dosent have the feature im looking for" or " someone already approached us with something like this"

    Ive tried following up to try and understand what is it they are looking for when they say that the product isint what they are looking for, trying to set up meetings for discussions but it just stops there.

    Ive been told by my superior that "im not pushing hard enough" but i feel like im already doing what i can.

    Am i doing something wrong?

    submitted by /u/Kurotara
    [link] [comments]

    Auto sales, help! where to next

    Posted: 05 Feb 2020 12:50 AM PST

    Hi guys, I am 29, 8 years in automotive sales, I have no degree...sound bleak right? well, the good stuff, I am top of my field with Mercedez-Benz, I earn over 100k a year ( not living in California) and I take home the second-highest paycheck of any of the 15 salesmen in our store and our store is the largest in the region. I cater to a niche clientele and work primarily with AMGs and affluent customers. I don't sell cars, I sell relationships....

    I say all this to convey that I am not the run of the mill car salesman....but I am burnt. I do not want nor have I ever been in management within the automotive industry. Sales is my profession but people are my passion. I love sales. I love commission.

    i do not want to be a glorified BDC rep to climb a ladder in a company, my understanding of sales processes and experience working with executive-level clientele surpasses a grinder job(nothing against those guys). I need to be in front of people building relationships and selling(any sales job right?) but I'm also set up with a lifestyle that is supported by my 100k+ income.

    what do I do next? I wouldn't mind a bit of travel here or there, I prefer a high-end clientele where I sell an experience and treat people...luxury is more my style. I have looked into marketing type positions, brand ambassador... software sales. High end real estate is very interesting to me, but I cannot take the decrease in my income to facilitate that job change.

    I just need a shove in the right direction to start considering what I want to do... sales job ads are filled with multi leveling sales crap, recruiters can't even speak English on LinkedIn. When you do find a legitimate person looking to recruit they are attempting to fill a position that would cut my income by 60%...

    Thanks for taking the time to read my situation, where better to investigate my future life decisions than on Reddit.

    TIA!

    submitted by /u/CHIPPER308
    [link] [comments]

    The Greatest Investors Podcast Ep.#46: Evan Carmichael

    Posted: 05 Feb 2020 03:53 AM PST

    In this week's episode, we talked with Evan Carmichael. u/evancarmichael

    At 19, he built then sold a biotech software company.

    At 22, he was a venture capitalist helping to raise $500,000 to $15 million.

    He now runs EvanCarmichael.com, a popular website for entrepreneurs and his YouTube Channel with millions of views.

    In this episode, Evan gives his unique insight on how to start your business, how to use social media, what to focus, how to test things. Very intelligent, giving lots of actionable-advice, Evan is a Master and you will learn a ton. This was an absolute delight for the brain.

    Check the Episode on YouTube: https://youtu.be/jZAiqvcHUFU

    By the way, if you like this type of content, visit my website here where you can learn more: https://byudigital.com/book

    Be great, nothing else pays.

    Diogo

    submitted by /u/byudigital
    [link] [comments]

    Any of you ASPD or sociopathic? Are you succesful?

    Posted: 05 Feb 2020 03:27 AM PST

    Please tell me.

    submitted by /u/from_senegal
    [link] [comments]

    ADP outside sales interview

    Posted: 04 Feb 2020 03:19 PM PST

    Hi, I recently got a call back for an interview with ADP in a couple of days. I have no prior sales experience, so I was wondering if anyone knows what I should expect? It said in the email that I should bring something to take notes with, what kind of notes should I take during the interview, and what questions should I ask?

    submitted by /u/mm592
    [link] [comments]

    Good Medical Device companies to work for

    Posted: 04 Feb 2020 05:24 PM PST

    I'm a senior graduating in May at a large university in the south studying BA, majoring in Finance with a decent GPA (3.0/4.0). I've worked at a local suit and tuxedo as a part-time sales associate throughout my 5 years of school. I really enjoy sales and interacting with customers.

    I have been applying for entry-level sales rep positions at a few medical device manufacturing companies. One of those is Stryker. I was fortunate enough to have my girlfriend's father (Branch manager for Stryker) put in a good word for me after applying for a trauma associate position.

    I'm aware that Stryker mainly hires ex-athletes/ex-military guys. I am neither of the two. Instead, I'm hoping to leverage my experience at the suit shop and an internship at a boutique wealth management firm during the interviews.

    If this opportunity falls through, what are some good recommendations for companies to apply to which are more likely to hire me?

    submitted by /u/joeym0n
    [link] [comments]

    Hiring and graduation date possible predicament— need advice

    Posted: 04 Feb 2020 05:01 PM PST

    I'm graduating in roughly four months and I recently started dipping my toes into interviewing with different companies/inquiring about jobs to get an idea of fit for myself.

    I had an interview recently that went swimmingly. This is the company I would LOVE to work for, and I'm being brought in for an in-person second round interview. They're actually hiring for two SDRs currently, one of which starts next month. The other (hopefully me) has yet to be hired. This company is aware of my graduation date, didn't explicitly say anything about it being an issue, but also alluded to a possible earlier start date than my graduation date.

    If I end up being a good fit for the job, could you guys come up with any reason why a company wouldn't be okay with waiting a few months to bring me on? They're not strapped for the position, they have a current functioning well-staffed sales team. It's also a startup, so there's no company-wide large training process.

    submitted by /u/bananaraine
    [link] [comments]

    Emailing a warm lead I generate?

    Posted: 04 Feb 2020 12:55 PM PST

    Hey /r/sales team,

    I do D2D cold sales for a large telecom company. I'm successful in my job, but I notice that I have a low rate of reply for follow up emails. Typically what I do is talk to people, get to know them and gather information as to telecom needs, then I send them an email with more information and specific pricing they can quote, and I follow up email the next day. I rarely get a reply from them. My subject lines are way to salesy and I'm not sure what a better direction is.

    What I was trained to say in the subject is "Company EXCLUSIVE Offer For YOU" where company is the name of my employer.

    I follow up the body by saying something like,

    "Hello!

    Thank you for taking the time to speak with me earlier today, and letting me take a break from this Canadian weather. Here are the XXXXXXX internet options for you:"

    XXXXXXX is the name of the internet umbrella.

    I feel like this could be better but I'm not experienced enough to know what to change. Any advice?

    submitted by /u/McreeDiculous
    [link] [comments]

    Com. RE to Medical, Need Advice

    Posted: 04 Feb 2020 08:24 PM PST

    After almost 3 years trying my hand at commercial RE brokerage, I've finally accepted and stopped lying to myself that this job isn't for me. I got off on a bad foot - I work for a boutique company with a boss who has recently began to live out his midlife crisis through the company and cares more about "building his empire" than being a resource for his junior guys who need it. I was cast in to a geographical territory where we had almost no presence with almost no training ("listen to me make some phone calls until I leave at 3:00 PM for 2 weeks). Throughout my time I have had some considerable victories - a huge deal that made the newspaper as well as picking up a national-representation client (coveted in my industry)

    I'm barely scratching the surface here. Fast forwarding...

    Before beginning CRE, I networked a bit in medical, but had CRE present an opportunity before I graduated, so I went with that. I'm ready for a change back to medical. After going on a ride along with a spine guy, it seems up my alley - working directly with a product that my company sells (a cool ass product, not a warehouse) in an environment that is actually fascinating and cutting edge. But I have to address why my production sucked; complete lack of training and support combined with a glacial sales cycle.

    What are y'alls thoughts? Thanks so much.

    submitted by /u/yotehunter422
    [link] [comments]

    Limitations of Remote Sales Jobs; Could I, for example, move to Spain, Different Part of Country, etc?

    Posted: 04 Feb 2020 03:45 PM PST

    Title pretty much says it all. In my brief experience asking employers about remote jobs, I recall that they wanted someone to still be nearby their territory even if working from home.

    Have you guys heard of jobs where you can truly work from anywhere so long as you make your calls and hit your numbers?

    For example, I'd love to see Buenos Aires/possibly live there for a couple months. Their time zone is only 2 hours ahead of Eastern US, so calling New York during those hours wouldn't be difficult.

    In your guys experience, what are the limitations of remote sales jobs. Where can/can't I go and why?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Mounttam7
    [link] [comments]

    How do I progress?

    Posted: 04 Feb 2020 02:56 PM PST

    I am looking for direction in a profession I feel I am good at, but have not chosen the right path.

    So, I (22m) have been in customer service for 7+ years - Baskin Robins, grocery store, Dutch Bros. In that time, I gained a lot of social skills. While at Dutch Bros, a regular customer offered me a sales position at a local Volkswagen dealership. I was 19 at the time, and this was my first position in sales. I sold a car my first day, and many more after that. The pay and benefits were great, but I hated what I was doing. I was there for about 8 months. Eventually, I broke my back while snowboarding and that was my way out.

    A month later, I was offered an inside sales position with a manufacturing company at $17/hr. My brother also works with the company at another location as general manager. It's a family-owned company with lots of turnover and unorganized managament. In my year tenure, I received a $1 raise and eventually started working at dutch bros part-time to be more "comfortable." eventually, I found another position selling motorcycles after a year at this company.

    Again, back in retail selling motorcycles, i made great money in the summer, but winter quickly came. I was there for 9 months. I then decided to go back to the manufacturing company once things slowed down.

    So here I am at my desk wondering if sales is still for me. I have applied for a union electrical apprenticeship and just got my ranking back - I will be waiting a while. I have been successful at all three companies, but I have never broke the $40k barrier. How should I proceed? If I were to stay in sales, where could I go? I refuse to try retail sales again, and inside sales is mundane. Any input is greatly appreciated.

    submitted by /u/Tophgoat
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment