• Breaking News

    Saturday, February 1, 2020

    Thank you guys for making my day Entrepreneur

    Thank you guys for making my day Entrepreneur


    Thank you guys for making my day

    Posted: 01 Feb 2020 02:45 AM PST

    Just a small emotional post. Yesterday i published Automation #8 - Example of how using AirTable/Smartsheet etc can revolutionize your business

    Over the past two years I've published 8 automation related posts. The response i got to every single one was so amazing that it made me want to keep on going. But yesterday, something new happened.

    " Stfu you dumb shiller". Immediately after my post it was bombarded by trolls and all my comments in the post were downvote-bombed. Some guy asked a question, i replied and suddenly even those comments were at -1 or -2.

    I was so upset i decided to stop posting on r/Entrepreneur altogether. But then a flood of supportive posts came in and to be honest i got a little bit emotional when they did. Because i put a lot of thought and effort into my posts, posting roughly every 3 months because of my busy schedule. For that last post i originally made a shortlist of 25 different projects that i could talk about then spent hours narrowing them down to the three that would be most inspiring.

    Putting in all that work and being greeted with " Stfu you dumb shiller" does break your heart a little.

    So thank you /u/EnderTheXenophobe /u/MayorBangsAlot /u/kjuuz /u/fourmojo /u/AnF-18Bro /u/pkdoneit /u/valvall888_ for your supportive posts.. you made my day and kept me on this sub :)

    PS: Open question for all of you. In all my posts i add a link back to my website (spdylabs.com) and sometimes a single-line comment that says people can contact me for automation ("PS: If you'd like to work with me on an automation project or you have a problem in mind and are not sure it can be automated, please feel free to message!"). This both adds legitimacy to my posts and generates a lead or two.

    According to the sidebar that's not against the rules (" Posts must not be made for the primary purpose of selling or promoting yourself."). But given the amount of negativity i got yesterday and both supportive and negative comments about it (Example of both: https://www.reddit.com/r/Entrepreneur/comments/ewo3x9/automation_8_example_of_how_using/fg3n2ln/ , https://www.reddit.com/r/Entrepreneur/comments/ewo3x9/automation_8_example_of_how_using/fg5n2z1/ ) i just want to ask the people of this sub: Do you think that's okay or do you think it's not okay?

    submitted by /u/wiredrone
    [link] [comments]

    How do I find friends with the same ambitious drive as me?

    Posted: 01 Feb 2020 05:53 AM PST

    I'm 24, working full time and working on my dream consulting start up on the side. I'm starting to get depressed because 96% of my friends are content playing video games and drinking or some of them have the privilege to just quit life/working cause they have wealthy parents. However, I have 2 friends, who i don't see that much, but when I do, I'm so inspired by them and their hustle, so I see 100% the fruits of having the "right" friends.

    But there's a clear difference when i hang around the dead beats. I get sad, doubt what I'm doing, etc. I want to make a change, so how do I find friends who are more like me and my drive? Not just work connections, but actual friends

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/Jbeanz28
    [link] [comments]

    LLC complete, first client, now I'm stalled.

    Posted: 01 Feb 2020 01:32 PM PST

    Started a small business to help churches and other small business owners create content through social media, help with web and SEO, and anything digital marketing.

    Filed LLC, received my first client about five months ago, but now I've sort of stalled and hit a wall. This is exactly what I want to do with my life and the idea of doing something I love forever while being able to take care of my family is very exciting for me.

    I've lost motivation to work hard, to find new clients, to grow my brand. I like the idea of running a business, reading about business stuff, spending time on forums learning, instead of the actual doing of business stuff. Does that make sense? It's almost like I need a coach or accountability person to help me stay on track

    So when this has happened to others - what did you do to snap out of it?

    submitted by /u/bweb82
    [link] [comments]

    Is there anyone here that is using blockchain to solve a problem?

    Posted: 01 Feb 2020 11:45 AM PST

    I've been interested in seeing real cases for blockchain and hope to become part of the space itself as it is high in demand. And as a dev trying to gain expeirence it can inspire me to maybe build my own app and help others in the process.

    submitted by /u/thekookysurfer
    [link] [comments]

    What's your relationship like with your banker?

    Posted: 01 Feb 2020 08:11 AM PST

    I find myself loathing my time with my banker since they're focus is so administrative. I'd love to know what you folks experience with your own bankers.

    submitted by /u/SECwontLetMeBe
    [link] [comments]

    What "blend" of entrepreneur are you?

    Posted: 01 Feb 2020 09:33 AM PST

    As product creators, we often have to wear multiple hats when starting out; marketing, development, finance, design, etc. Do you consider yourself someone who is always learning new skills or do you try to stay in your lane and find people who have that skill?

    I'm personally spending my time as follows:

    • 45% in Entrepreneurship
    • 45% in Development
    • 10% in Design

    What is your experience?

    submitted by /u/scottlabs
    [link] [comments]

    Shipping from USA to Canada: cheapest method?

    Posted: 01 Feb 2020 08:53 AM PST

    I have a new client whose business creates products in her home in the USA and she sells almost 100% of the time to Canada (there's a good reason for this and it can not change).

    The item is lightweight (4oz) and not fragile. It can fit in a polymailer bag, polymailer envelope, box, or anything else cheap. Just can't fit in a standard envelope used for letters. She also needs to include tracking information for her customers so that is a must.

    Currently, a package like that only costs her $1.60 to ship anywhere in the US but as soon as it goes to Canada, the price jumps to $11.08 (USPS is our cheapest option on Shopify). I'm sure a lot of it has to do with international customs and such.

    Is there anyone else who ships small items like this from the US to Canada at a lower cost? Even saving a few extra bucks will help margins significantly because the product price is $25 with free shipping. The margins get obliterated because of that extra $10 and she can't raise prices beyond this number because it won't compete with the market rate then.

    Any suggestions? I've tried the Shippo app and they actually gave me worse shipping rates than Shopify's rates with USPS! Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/NotSellingCourses
    [link] [comments]

    What three pieces of information on the market would most help your business grow?

    Posted: 01 Feb 2020 08:08 AM PST

    I run a supplements store and I'd love nothing more than to know when average mg per purchase (say for CBD) rises, so I can make sure my inventory is never obselete

    submitted by /u/SECwontLetMeBe
    [link] [comments]

    How did you guys find something you enjoyed and start up a business about

    Posted: 01 Feb 2020 10:32 AM PST

    Hey guys

    I am 16 years old and im from Canada. For about the last few months ive been trying to find something i enjoy then expand on it in a way so that I can eventually start up my own business. I was just here to find out how everybody else ended up finding something they enjoyed (or hated) but ended up being able to make their own business about. Right now I am working and going to school and ive been trying to find what I enjoy to decide for a career (or business/side hustle) but I have been kind of stuck in how I can find what I may really enjoy doing.

    Some backstory I should give is when I was alot younger (about 10 years old) I used to take my parents lawn mowing machine and go door to door doing lawn mowing and shovel driveways during the winter for some extra cash. As I got older I started finding different ways to make money (selling the trendy stuff at school) and I ended up down the wrong path eventually. Last few months ive been only focusing on school and work and improving myself and have lots of friends in the process so I have lots of free time and a drive to become successfull (in my books that means being financially free without a 9-5 and happy)

    Thank you to anyone who does answer

    submitted by /u/kuraf101
    [link] [comments]

    How do you make money on the side?

    Posted: 01 Feb 2020 09:39 AM PST

    Does anyone have a guide or link on how to properly price software to schools?

    Posted: 01 Feb 2020 09:10 AM PST

    Long story short.... I experienced this problem first hand. How it is handed now is difficult and time consuming. If this issue is not addressed by teachers and administration than the end result could be litigation and state over-site. I spent about two years and a boot camp to learned to code. I put a team together and built an MVP. We tested it and teachers are still using it even though I said they don't have to anymore because the pilot has ended. The pilot school wants to use it ASAP. I posted the results in a Principal FB group and 48hr later I had 350+ likes and 280 comments with email addresses. Working on roster certification and will launch very soon. That is why I poss the question above....

    submitted by /u/chuckaspeer
    [link] [comments]

    How Office Chairs Ruined My Startup's Culture

    Posted: 01 Feb 2020 06:30 AM PST

    We started our last business TrackR in a garage with a bunch of desks and chairs that were left on the street in Isla Vista. This is how most startups begin is trying to find the cheapest office furniture you can get because you have no money and would never think of wasting cash on swanky office furniture (the exception here is if you have clients visiting your space so you figure out incentive ways to look better than the story your balance sheet tells). While the cost savings from an overall perspective is insignificant, the action sparks a myth, which in turn creates a culture.

    The startup whose CEO bought nice furniture for himself/herself, while getting budget IKEA furniture for everyone else creates a certain myth. The founder who gets the nicest setups for all of his/her employees creates a different myth. I went budget for everyone and that helped create the myth I wanted. We don't have extra cash to spend on ourselves and we are here for the mission, no the startup perks.

    Did we scare people off? Yep. But it was an effective point in culture building where we had no idea what we were doing.

    Eventually, we became "successful" and we began to hire more rapidly. At this point, we got some requests that would come in for nicer chairs, stand up desks, cool office gear. I said no to almost everything and didn't think much of these requests. But I should have. These requests were signs that our frugal culture was coming apart due to rapid hiring, poor interviewing, faulty onboarding, and overall boneheadedness by me.

    Despite my lack of understanding of culture, the success continued and we grew. When we did a move to a new office, where I was happy we got the place completely furnished and was the cheapest option in town — including cheap chairs for everyone. However, the frugal culture came completely unhinged.

    As soon as we moved in, requests for nice office furniture and startup perks went completely off the rails. The culture of frugalness and being mission-driven was lost due to my mismanagement of our people systems and I found myself isolated in my own company. At this point, it was apparent to everyone that I no longer belonged. I passed the keys to new management who were enthused about where the business & culture was heading. They came from bigger companies that included cultures with lots of perks to help with retention/recruiting.

    Everyone's chairs were upgraded to designer Herman-Miller chairs and the office was redecorated. This sparked a bonfire of cash because I didn't rope in our culture back to our roots of frugalness. I assembled all the kindling for the company to burn cash uncontrolled.

    So my lesson is to align my business goals and culture especially around how the office looks. Then pay very close attention to the small things affecting culture.

    At Shine, 2 of our conference room chairs are broken & all the furniture was free. I feel at home.

    Full Post - https://medium.com/@cgherb/your-office-chairs-matter-fae874d1290e

    submitted by /u/cgherb911
    [link] [comments]

    What barriers lie upon this side project?

    Posted: 01 Feb 2020 05:45 AM PST

    Hi,

    I would like some feedback from this platform to see if it's any useful. You can integrate with an API.

    Link: https://www.peempoint.com

    What do you think?

    My budget is small but I hope to have enough in the next month.

    submitted by /u/azhan15
    [link] [comments]

    Google Spreadsheet interface

    Posted: 31 Jan 2020 08:27 PM PST

    It has been nagging me for a while, I have a lot of spreadsheets (just text data) and want to present them to my clients in a better interface than the spreadsheet's interface. Like converting a spreadsheet to a website with menus, each tab representing a menu item, user friendly filters. Is this a common problem? If so, I might want to build a solution so that others can benefit too. Looking forward to your response.

    submitted by /u/juliarmg
    [link] [comments]

    Opportunity to invest in an existing business. Advice needed.

    Posted: 01 Feb 2020 12:21 AM PST

    Hi folks,

    My good friend has made me an offer to invest in his growing business. He basically buys and rents scafflods. The business is going well and I myself said to him some time ago that I would be interested in buying myself in to this company.

    So the options I have are:

    A) Help him out with money to buy new scaffold. He pays me up within 24 months. Instead of flat interest rate for lending him money, he offered 20% from the profit that this new scaffold makes within those 24 months. Based on his current profit that would be around $5k profit in 24 months. Bear in mind this money currently sits in a bond so it is not doing anything for me.

    B) Join as a partner. I buy and own the scaffold. He operates the entire business. For doing nothing I get 35% for what this scaffold earns. It will take around 3-3.5 years until it has paid for itself, from the I will start making real profit. There is a couple risks here, scaffold could be stolen, damaged. Business may not do well which means period to achieve ROI will be longer but after that period I will basically have passive income for a number of years (if things go as planned).

    What should I consider? I am new to business, I have spare funds. This investment is not even 20% of my savings that literally degrade in bank. Anything helps.

    Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/lip3k
    [link] [comments]

    Creating a product that already exists

    Posted: 31 Jan 2020 10:50 PM PST

    I thought of an idea that I think will be great, however upon doing research, I discovered that there is one other company that is like my idea. However, I know how I can improve this product and make it "better" than the competition, has anyone ever been in a situation like this? I think it's worth the risk.

    submitted by /u/throwaway912-
    [link] [comments]

    Door to door sales in Washington

    Posted: 31 Jan 2020 06:41 PM PST

    I am having a hard time finding the laws surrounding door to door soliciting in Washington state, specifically in Bellingham. Just not too sure how to go about it

    submitted by /u/bigbees12
    [link] [comments]

    Buyout agreement?

    Posted: 31 Jan 2020 06:37 PM PST

    I'm trying to sell my company. The buyer wants to get a bank loan to purchase it. The bank is asking me for a buyout agreement to send over that includes purchase price and parties exchanging ownership. I've checked out a few buyout agreements (they are also called buy-sell agreements from what I understand) that are catered toward current owners of the company and what happens in the case of a sale or death. These buy-sell agreements seem to not be the type that I need for the sale of the company, as they do not contain info about the purchaser or sale price. Is there another name for the type of document I need? Suggestions on where I can go to find templates for them?

    submitted by /u/appJC
    [link] [comments]

    How losing 1.4M on a startup helped me build a net worth of $70M seven years later

    Posted: 31 Jan 2020 08:46 PM PST

    In 2010, I started developing a platform called Tradze. It was to be an online bartering platform that used "T-Bills" as currency and allowed you to barter your used stuff for different stuff without having to use any real money at all. The concept was fine-tuned, the development spec sheet over 300 pages and a well-funded piggy bank to see the project through to fruition.

    I already owned a software development company that did very well. We had developed some software in 2006 that allowed us to take dynamically generated content and make it static where Google could index it in the search results. In 2006, Google still had a hard time indexing dynamically generated content, so our software was used by a ton of companies like Tire Kingdom, Gutter Helmet, Dr. Scholl's and our biggest client Football Fanatics (Now Fanatics.com) who we got ranked on over 88K keywords in just 3 months. They went from generating $6M a year to over $128M a year online and were bought by Fanatics.com five years later for $288M.

    Banking off this success and my development team's prowess, we set off to develop Tradze.com and built out every feature we could think of including some IRS compliance tools that I didn't agree with but got outvoted on. In all, we spent two years developing the platform with all the bells and whistles. Six months before we were set to launch the company, I hired a billionaire CEO who had a massive amount of success in the pharmaceutical world. I figured he would be the perfect person to launch the platform when it was finished.

    His first move was to spend our remaining money on a high-priced PR firm six months before our launch date at $40K a month. While we were building the platform, I had diluted my equity in the business to raise capital and no longer had control of the company. I was powerless to stop him now that our board of directors were more firmly in control. When it came time launch the platform when it was finished, we had exhausted all our capital and had no money left to market the platform. Several months later we closed the operation and moved on.

    This colossal failure taught me some very important lessons. The first was that you should always launch a minimum viable product, get to market and test the waters before committing so much money and time developing features that you may, or many not even use. This long development process cost us over a million dollars more than it should have to get a minimum viable site up and running.

    The next lesson I learned was not to start raising capital too early. The valuations are terrible when you don't even have a platform or any traction and the cost of capital in relation to the amount of equity you must give up is lopsided. Launching a minimum viable product allows you to reduce your capital needs and wait to raise capital when you have more traction.

    Over the next seven years I went on to develop and flip numerous companies and started a Venture Capital firm investing in early stage startups that needed my guidance and experience. I took a $5M fund and grew to a portfolio of over $70M in just a few years using the lessons I learned from Tradze.

    submitted by /u/tomarv99
    [link] [comments]

    How do you keep up on new tech gadget trends?

    Posted: 31 Jan 2020 08:28 PM PST

    Where can I hear about new tech products and concepts before they hit mainstream media?

    submitted by /u/RunnySnot
    [link] [comments]

    IS COLD CALLING DEAD ?

    Posted: 31 Jan 2020 11:27 PM PST

    Today morning I cold called 100 jewelers across the US to pitch them to try to make a website or upgrade there current one , I either got brushed off or got no answers on some threw yellow pages: I've massed email before and had some success but now that method had become too expensive too afford , should I keep cold calling or should I find a different method? Has anyone had any success currently? Thanks

    submitted by /u/illavistajay
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment