• Breaking News

    Tuesday, February 4, 2020

    Startups Manic Mondays: Support To Get You Through The Week: Share What You Need Help With, Job Postings, For Hire Offers, or Resources

    Startups Manic Mondays: Support To Get You Through The Week: Share What You Need Help With, Job Postings, For Hire Offers, or Resources


    Manic Mondays: Support To Get You Through The Week: Share What You Need Help With, Job Postings, For Hire Offers, or Resources

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 05:08 AM PST

    Welcome to this week's Support Thread. Please refer to the below suggested formats to get the most out of this thread.

    Need Support?

    Please use the following format to seek support:

    SUPPORT REQUEST

    What I am working on: What I need support with: Why I need support with this: My questions to the community: Requested Resources: Relevant URL: [if applicable] Additional Comments: Please add any additional comments that may provide more context around what you need support with so others can provide the most relevant support or guidance to you.

    Job Provider?

    Please use the following format to post a job listing:

    HIRING Company Name and URL: Job Title/Role: Employment Type: [Intern] [Contract] [Part Time] [Full Time] [Remote] Job Description/Responsibilities: Necessary Skills and Experience: Requested, but not necessary Skills and Experience: Job Compensation: Willing to Relocate New Hire: [yes] [no] Job Listing URL: Additional Comments:

    Please add any additional comments that may provide more context around the job listing to make it easier for the right people to apply.

    Job Seeker?

    Please use the following format to post an offer to work :

    FOR HIRE Title/Role: Desired Location: Willing to Relocate: [yes] [no] Remote Availability: [yes] [no] Relevant Skills and Experience: Requested Salary/Hourly Rate: Resume/Portfolio URL: Additional Comments:

    Please add any additional comments that may provide more context around the job listing to make it easier for the right people to apply.

    Resource Provider?

    Please use the following format to post an offer to work :

    RESOURCE Organization Name and URL: Location Served: Resource Name: Resource Description: Resource URL: Resource Cost:

    Do not forget to explore the /r/startups discord. We have many relevant channels to seek support, post job listings, share for hire offers, and share resources. You can also find more support using instant chat on the /r/startups discord.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Advice needed: how to know when to move on and when to keep grinding.

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 02:20 PM PST

    Hey there, I read this sub a lot and know that there's some great advice givers out there. I have found myself in a somewhat precarious position professionally, and I could really use some sage advice. I will try to explain the situation to the best of my best ability while still being anonymous. This might be a bit long, so bear with me. Here's the timeline:

    May - June 2018: I was COO at a small web design / digital marketing company, was the first employee besides the owner, helped grow from ~10 customers to ~250 and from just us two to about 12 other team members over 2+ years. Was getting paid alright, but definitely less than average compared to others in similar positions. Out of the blue I get contacted by recruiters via LinkedIn for a new COO position and went through the interview process. Ended up getting the job offer, which was twice my current salary plus some equity. I was a great fit as far as culture and transferable skills go, so I accepted.

    July 2018: Starting to get settled in, it is just me working with the 2 founders who started this as a side project and hired me to evolve it further, but still held President and CEO titles. They are preoccupied with running other businesses (serial entrepreneurs), so we don't have that typical executive relationship you would find at most other startups. I am basically responsible for doing everything. They weren't "in the trenches" with me, and I no longer had a team to work with, which were big challenges for me, but I dealt with it.

    August 2018: We start the process of roadmapping future features and looking for development groups (it's a tech platform in the networking space). Before I was hired, they paid a single freelance developer to create a web browser app. There were several problems with the platform and realized that this one person would not be able to handle it all. After talking to a few groups, I learn that the existing tech stack is completely outdated, platform dependent, and not scalable at all, they were all recommending a complete rebuild. So, started out with a bag egg, but pressed on anyway.

    September 2018: I choose a local development group that promised they could help us redo our platform in React within our budget. I dealt with the CEO of that group and we became somewhat professional buddies due to shared interests, so I put a lot of trust in that relationship. Everything started out great and it seemed they would be able to help us get out of this dev rut.

    November 2018 - February 2019: The dev group built the first pieces in React after about 2 months of signing a contract, which we got to demo. It wasn't even close to complete, but overall seemed to be going well. They got busy on around the holidays, and kept giving us the "we are working on it, it will take longer since we have to redo everything" message, without providing an active staging environment or any transparency into what they were actually doing. 2019 comes around and got the "it will be ready in 2 weeks" run around for over a month and half. After kind of putting my foot down and saying something like "hey we don't want to be left in the dark about the dev process anymore and would like to schedule regular status meetings going forward and more transparency including access to the repo and commits history", they then responded with basically "we think you'll be better off with a different dev group, here's the all the code we have done so far, free of charge" which was now in Angular for some reason (assuming they had staff turnover and lost expertise for React devs). They were completely unhelpful in transitioning us or providing any sort of changelog and basically told us to fuck off and enjoy the free code (which was too poorly made for us to even use)

    March - November 2019: After all this drama, I decide to abandon the browser app completely and move in the direction of a mobile app instead. I give myself a pay cut and started doing owners draws instead of running payroll, so we could extend the remainder of the operating budget as much as possible. I personally designed the entire UI/UX myself and hired a different dev group that came highly recommended, after screening over a dozen different ones. Everything went great, they provided full transparency into their workflow and regular status meetings, and I really stayed on top of them by constantly testing and providing feedback plus designing any additional screens. After all of it, we were able to get the majority of the features we wanted and on a scalable tech stack (React/Node/Postgres). We successfully launched our MVP app after 6 months of working with the new group.

    December 2019: We ran out of money at this point (this was all internally funded). I had made all the material needed for a seed raise (investor deck, strategies, forecasts, etc), and had been doing outreach for a couple months, but didn't have any luck yet. The founders were helping with their connections but everyone declined.

    January 2020 to Present: We are in a holding pattern until we can secure fundraising from angel investors. I can't pay myself or invest in marketing the app or developing it any further. I am currently trying to maintain and help with the fundraising as much as possible (something I've never done before by the way), while working for free. I am now draining my savings to pay for my bills and it looks like the fundraising may take another 6 to 12 weeks before anything is closed and the legal aspects are completed.

    What would you do in my situation based on all this? I could possibly try to get some freelancer gigs to hold me over, or completely shift to a new position instead, while staying on as an advisor. I really like the project overall and feel I have put a lot of myself in it. However, I don't feel the job security in general is good for my financial and mental well-being, especially considering we'll have to do another raise 12-18 months after we finish this one. My last two positions before this were with bootstrapped service based companies, whereas this is a pre-revenue tech platform.

    I feel torn between feeling completely burned out and feeling like I could grind hard and make it happen. Part of me feels like I'm completely capable of doing everything needed to make this successful, and the other part feels like I'm totally in over my head and should take a step back into something with less responsibility. I'm at a crossroads and don't know what I should do. What do you think?

    submitted by /u/manbearslothy
    [link] [comments]

    Outsourcing app development. What to be weary of?

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 04:57 PM PST

    For an upcoming project that relies heavily on a mobile app to work, I'm considering outsourcing the app development. What do I need to be weary of? Any reputable companies who provide app development with a good track record?

    Lot of spammy, "Hi I build app for u!" type people out there and while they're likely good coders, I don't feel 100% comfortable with it.

    submitted by /u/MannDude
    [link] [comments]

    Issues with customer development phase

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 03:01 PM PST

    My team and I are trying to "get out of the building" and interview aspiring instagram models for a new venture. We're trying to understand their lifestyle and pain points. Unfortunately, we've run into a huge roadblock.

    1) Most instagram models have hundreds if not thousands of DMs. So sending a DM to request an interview often gets overlooked. They probably already get solicited by companies to get work.

    2) Women I approach outside of modeling agencies often use the "I am in a rush" excuse. Perhaps they think I'm hitting n them or trying to solicit them. Some are nice enough to talk for a few minutes but most just want to go about their day.

    Is there anyway to DRAW them for an interview instead of me going out and cold approaching?

    submitted by /u/azn_gambit
    [link] [comments]

    Startup work life balance w/o regrets?

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 10:11 PM PST

    I'm reflecting back and feel like I've put in 5 years worth of work in a time span of 6 months to launch the MVP. The next 6 months after that felt like 3 years of work compressed into 6 months. And the last year felt like...a normal year with some semblance of work/life balance. I'm in a good place now with work/life balance but I'm itching to build and launch something else.

    I am worried about maintaining work/life balance knowing how demanding a successful startup can be in the early stages. Can you really restrict the amount of work to 40 hours a week and not regret having put in a mediocre effort if/when the startup fails? Any strategies or tips on balancing the two?

    submitted by /u/boyala
    [link] [comments]

    How did you develop your startup or planning to develop your startup's MVP/Final Product?

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 07:02 PM PST

    MVP: Are you going the freelance, co-founder CTO, code it yourself, or drag/drop coder route?

    Final Product (if no MVP): Are you going the freelance, co-founder, custom code it yourself, or drag/drop coder route?

    I'm curious to see what this sub has chosen as their course of action, why they chose it, and the successes/failures associated with doing so.

    In my case, I chose the drag/drop coder and light coding myself option with a little bit of freelancing mixed in for administrative web tasks.

    submitted by /u/helpplease12223
    [link] [comments]

    Delay in Bonuses at Startups

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 03:04 PM PST

    I have been at a startup since July last year - so it has been a little over 7 months. I am leading a team of engineers and my team is a crucial part of the company's work. When I joined, during my negotiations I was told that bonuses were paid out in January and I was looking forward to it.

    Recently when I asked my boss and HR about bonus, they said they are sorting that out but it would be done after raising next round of funding which is about to close in a few months. I am not sure what to feel about this, as it doesn't agree with what was decided on earlier. The startup is not too early stage. We have close to 40 employees at the moment, and the company has been growing rapidly in the last year or so (we are currently raising Series A). The fundraise is very close to finishing, but not done yet. I also don't know if anyone else has been paid bonuses or not.

    My question is: What do I do in this situation? Is it good to push for my bonus for last year, or is it a good idea to wait it out so as to not sour relationships or cause a pain in the butt?

    submitted by /u/humanager
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment