• Breaking News

    Friday, February 7, 2020

    Startups Fundraising Thursdays - A Forum to Ask About Fundraising, Investors, Accelerators, and Other Sources of Capital

    Startups Fundraising Thursdays - A Forum to Ask About Fundraising, Investors, Accelerators, and Other Sources of Capital


    Fundraising Thursdays - A Forum to Ask About Fundraising, Investors, Accelerators, and Other Sources of Capital

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 05:06 AM PST

    Welcome to this week's Fundraising Thursdays Thread.

    Ask about anything related to fundraising, investors, accelerators, grants, and other sources of capital.

    That includes how to find these sources, how to work with them, and how to negotiate with them.

    Don't be shy. The purpose of this is to learn and share ideas and methodologies with one another.

    Any question is a good question!

    If you are answering questions, remember to be kind and supportive. Many are just starting out and have no idea what they are doing. That's okay! We all knew nothing before we knew something.

    You can also find more support using instant chat on the /r/startups discord.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    How do I prevent myself from being fired as a founder?

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 09:42 AM PST

    This situation is probably unique to me, so apologies if it's too niche.

    My cousin and I had a business idea and we brought in a 3rd guy to be the CEO. We are now raising money and are starting to hear concerns from investors about the dynamics of my brother and I having control of the company over the CEO.

    The solution the investors are asking for is a 3 person board - the CEO, me and an investor. This makes me really nervous as we would be putting our full faith in our co-founder/CEO to not decide to get rid of us should the investor decide they want to fire us.

    Are there any protections we can build in for ourselves to prevent that from happening?

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/tboxer854
    [link] [comments]

    Nonprofit & Tech

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 10:19 PM PST

    I'm in Seattle currently, but I'm quickly coming to the realization there is very little in the way of tech-based nonprofits around here (social impact, civic tech, etc).

    I know that it is a fairly niche crossover of both industries, but it does appear to be exceptionally uncommon around here, possibly due to the particular culture around startups in the area. My current research shows significantly more opportunities in the DC area, but I wanted to hear from you all.

    Where do you find civic tech and social impact businesses/organizations are located? I ideally want to work within the startup sector, but want to be around a decent job market.

    submitted by /u/elusive_1
    [link] [comments]

    Is my startup be classified as a nonprofit?

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 06:29 PM PST

    I guess I have two questions. Is my startup a nonprofit, and how do I raise money.
    I am working on it as a side project at the moment. It focuses on raising awareness on climate change and educating the public on small steps we can take to help. Mainly on reducing waste and plastic use and recycling. I have created a knowledge library with a lot of articles describing the topics above. I will also create print material that I am planning to distribute/hire people to distribute.
    I am also working on an attached shopping site with items that you can buy to reduce waste and plastic use -- items such as compostable trash bags, reusable grocery bags, natural sponges, cleaning clothes, paper straws, and paper plates. I also have an idea to create a subscription box service for any items that you would regularly use, such as paper plates, wooden utensils, and straws.
    My website is almost ready to be launched but I am unsure what this would be categorized as. I assume the print material and raising awareness is nonprofit work, but the shopping site is for-profit? Is anybody familiar with this type of setup? The other question is, how can I raise funds for print and distribution work?
    Thank you.

    submitted by /u/flufflle
    [link] [comments]

    How to find/trust a distant partner?

    Posted: 07 Feb 2020 12:21 AM PST

    Hey guys, I just got a new idea and it looks like it will become my third startup, am really excited!

    This time there is a huge difference tho: I can't do it in my own and don't know anyone who could be the right partner (yet).
    The problem is that I need a partner in the US/UK while I am located in germany, but trusting a stranger and giving the idea away seems pretty risky.
    Was anyone in the same situation before, and how did you manage it? Where/How did you find your partner?

    submitted by /u/ProfessionalDead
    [link] [comments]

    How important are pitch contests/incubators/accelerators? And how did you gain conviction for you startup?

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 04:53 PM PST

    So obviously something like YC is a huge deal but I'm speaking more generally. I have an idea that was selected for an incubator and won a hackathon. My customer discover and research is going great but for some reason I feel this mental block in really putting in the hours to build the mvp and shop to clients. I figured I'd apply to a couple programs and see how it goes. And it's gone well, but for some reason they weren't the kick in the pants I thought they'd be. So I'm wondering now, is it just that I should shoot for more structured or prestigious competitions/programs or what I can do to turn this idea that I think's pretty good into something real. I'm a very busy person but I think that may be a bit of an excuse, I really feel like I'm dragging my feet. I should mention I'm not risk averse as I have done the entrepreneur thing (not startup, no company) before in my early 20s.

    I'm currently building a team that I'm hoping will keep me accountable and motivate me, but I'm a bit worried that I'll end up letting everyone down and looking stupid. I guess I'm looking for advice or anecdotes on others' first startups and mentally how they were able to go all-in. I realize now just how important that is, probably more so than technical skills or capital or whatever.

    submitted by /u/incognino123
    [link] [comments]

    How to beat the Ole Catch 22

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 10:07 PM PST

    So I think I have a really good idea for a peer to peer marketplace and have a solid business plan for it I just need some tips for finding investors as well as beating the catch 22 of getting consumers to use the app and fill it up so it will attract new users. My thought is multiple incentives like discounts, VIP options , credits, etc. Do I need to just start marketing the app to with these incentives, or is there a better way to get people on board faster and more cost effectively?

    submitted by /u/Mccarrots
    [link] [comments]

    Awesome at building, not awesome at business. I don't want to go back to a regular job

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 01:12 PM PST

    2018 I quit my job and built an ML SaaS.

    Despite being something a lot of people showed interest in, after 8 months, it failed because:

    • The model took like 2-3 months to iterate on at a time. Every new feature took too long to add, customers lost interest in waiting.
    • Turns out that Facebook and the primary competitor hold a patent on the idea. I would have been sued even if I could make it work.

    Got a consulting gig and made some money. After 6 months of regular job, I started another SaaS.

    I built and launched this one in 4 months. And after a week I can already see it's going to be super tough to make it sell based on the initial feedback:

    • It's in a security-critical space, and people do not trust new entrants. Even though I did an excellent job on the security, they have no way to be sure
    • All the competitors are enterprise-focused, so I targetted SMBs. But now that I'm out there, the enterprise focus seems to be because SMBs may need the service, but don't know that they do. Customer education is going to be a constant challenge.

    I have a few more things to try over the next month or so, but I think it's likely this will also fizzle, but I may be able to get something out of open-sourcing it. We'll see.


    My issue is that I know I'm an excellent engineer and product designer. I've been told this my whole career by numerous subordinates and superiors. I'm very good at what I do. I can get and keep jobs easily, but I don't want another regular job. I'm vastly overqualified for for a tech lead position, and it kills my brain to go into a job everyday where most of my time is spent just asking people not to set themselves on fire, and then watch as they do it anyways.

    Any thoughts or advice on how to avoid getting another regular job?

    Everyone talks about how execution is essential for a successful venture. And execution is not a problem for me. It's just that I seem to keep executing in the wrong directions.

    submitted by /u/static416
    [link] [comments]

    Stupid question on allocations and fairness

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 06:26 PM PST

    This question is so stupid that I'm embarrassed to even ask it.

    But here goes.

    Let's say you create a company and invest $500K. You buy $500K of property. 9 years later, you bring on another investor who also invests $500K. The next year you sell all your property for $1MM. Based on the allocation you would only get 50% even though your money was tied up for longer! Is there a way to avoid this scenario? Or is this just dilution at work? Could put in a clause that any new investor must wait to take distributions?

    submitted by /u/narkflint
    [link] [comments]

    When to have recruiters for startups?

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 04:12 PM PST

    If you are running a startup, do you depend on recruiters for sourcing talents for you, or do you have any in-house recruiters? I am wondering for startups, when they would have the actual need to have third-party agencies or in-house recruiters to help them get talents?

    submitted by /u/damechen
    [link] [comments]

    Calculating share price

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 03:29 PM PST

    So I'm having a little trouble calculating my share price after my company received funding. This is is the situation im in and was hoping to figure out how much my shares are worth after this latest funding round.

    Time of signing contract:

    Evaluation: 1 billion Total shares: not sure but can find out, let's say 100,000 for math sake My options: 20000 shares Strike price: 2.00

    Post funding:

    Evaluation: 3 billion Total shares: can find out My options: same Strike price: can find out

    So given this information, I'm just wondering how I can determine how much my shares are worth and whether the dilution outweighs the increase in valuation. Sorry if this has been asked already.

    submitted by /u/BlackCasperrr
    [link] [comments]

    Facebooks Ads to verify product market fit

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 10:59 AM PST

    I've seen posts on here before on running an ad campaign to gauge interest on a pre launch product.

    I ended up doing just that. I had an idea for a product, created an email landing page to signup pre launch, and created some Facebook ads. The campaign ran for two days.

    I have some metrics back after three days, but what are things I should look for to get some feedback on the product. So far I am looking at:

    Total impressions

    Cost per click (~$.5, but I did not fully optimize this so it can definitely trend lower)

    Conversion rate on the landing page (~20%)

    Total number of signups

    What else should I look at, and how long should I run a campaign to get a reasonable sample size?

    submitted by /u/redknappsaccountant
    [link] [comments]

    Privacy policy despite collecting little information

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 01:04 PM PST

    Hello! I have seen many posts on this subredditt about privacy policies (which have been really helpful) and I don't want to start another one, I think my case is slightly different. I live in the EU and so I have to comply with GDPR, which seems to be why this is so painful.

    As a rule of thumb, I don't really want to collect personal information as I couldn't care less to be honest. My website's only purpose really is to allow people to download my program and therefore I don't really need to be able to track users and know about them.

    However, I do want to use Google analytics to measure who uses my website, but since that data is not personal, as I set it up to randomise IP address and the other stuff, do I really need a long privacy policy? Will a small disclaimer saying Google processes data and stores if for me do?

    Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/mad153
    [link] [comments]

    pricing an IoT data stream or data source

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 12:16 PM PST

    how would you go about pricing a hardware device, not the physical device but the data it produces. imagine a sensor that enables an IoT platform/application.

    we don't develop the app just provide the hardware component/sensor that feeds new data into the platform of our customer/partner enriching it and enabling new monetization avenues, opening up new markets and offering competitive advantages for them. this sensor can potentially be sold to them exclusively in a given sector.

    submitted by /u/GeneralGlobus
    [link] [comments]

    So I have this project I’m working on but don’t know where to start..

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 12:16 PM PST

    Hey guys, lurker - first time poster.

    So I've been working on this project of mine since 2013. When I was in high school a university funded my lab time and experiments. I entered a fair and got some rewards. So, here is the tricky part:

    It's in the technology/science field - particularly aiming with the space exploration field. It's an conceptual idea that I've been wanting to take further to prototype my final design and apply for a provisional so I can have some safety /ownership. I don't own a business or anything but I'm honestly thinking it might be worth starting a mini company just for this design (if it goes through).

    I know I need help, but I don't know how to go about this:

    My design involves other technologies that are obviously patented... how would this work? Licensing ? I know patents need as much detail as possible but I'm lacking the resources now to get the certain details I need, and I'm afraid to reach out for help when I'm not that protected - does that make sense ? Can I have someone sign a NDA till I get an provisional?

    I reached out to one company and they said they are careful with collaborations because they like to own the products they make as a company.

    I guess this is for more of a long term goal question:

    Can one ever sell their idea , prototype ? I read elsewhere it's impossible unless your Bill Gates lol

    Idk if this s making any sense. 🤦🏻‍♀️

    Appreciate kind advice. Thank you.

    submitted by /u/ruggeriooo19
    [link] [comments]

    Readying my startup to get acquired.

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 08:26 AM PST

    I'm the founder of a content platform startup and am at a stage (due to a variety of reasons & circumstances) to sell my startup to a larger firm. Very keen on hearing from others how you have approached this, what my deck should include, how to begin conversations, do's and don'ts. Thanks all!

    submitted by /u/Happyshappydelhi
    [link] [comments]

    How much investment should I ask for?

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 06:08 AM PST

    Hi there! So I have this really cool start up idea and a potential investor. But I am not sure how much money you should ask for when your start up is at the idea level. Do you ask based on your projected income when your business launches, or do should I ask only for the bare minimum required to start my business?

    submitted by /u/Gertung3r
    [link] [comments]

    For TripleByte and Hired, how to get company partners?

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 09:16 AM PST

    Hi folks,

    I am doing something to create a new hiring experience for candidates and companies. Before attracting candidates, I have to have some companies in my pool.

    I am thinking of cold emails to each company. But if the company is big, my email may easily get ignored. Do you guys some any suggestions on how to establish partnership with those companies, especially software companies.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/damechen
    [link] [comments]

    New Virtual PA setup

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 07:04 AM PST

    Hi everyone, I'm new to this subreddit and have a new active business which is 2 weeks old.

    I know it's early days but I've had approximately 30 visits to my site via various marketing platforms including Google Ads, Organically, Social media etc etc. But I'm struggling to covert these in to useful leads, does anyone have any suggestions on how to generate leads/business without plowing hundreds in to the business on platforms like Google Ads?

    Thank you so much in advance.

    submitted by /u/jareeman
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for advice: Shift direction? Or stay the course?

    Posted: 06 Feb 2020 06:32 AM PST

    tldr version: I have people interested in one part of my app I'm building. I have competitors who don't even seem to have a product yet. Do I abandon the rest of my app to make the one piece buyers seem to want, or do I continue to develop the entire app?

    NON-tldr version: I have an app I'm building for estate liquidators. It handles virtually the entire business process. I am planning on releasing it mid-year or sooner.

    I have more than a few people waiting for it, but they all seem to primarily want one specific piece of it right away: inventory, with price tag generation, price scanning and POS. But they also want other stuff Im offering, just not as much as the inventory piece.

    What was once pure Blue Ocean for me is now getting slightly pinkish. There are several competitors, but none of them seem to have an actual product to demo. Heck, they don't even seem to have much beyond mocked-up screen shots. But they have gotten a lot of new exposure from a recent estate sale conference. They all have somewhat weak, uninformative websites and FB pages. So either they don't have much to show, or just don't want to show their cards yet.

    So do I:

    a) Stay the course and continue to develop the complete app, knowing that my competition might come out with something sooner?

    b) Alter my course and get the inventory stuff out fast and get to market first?

    c) Do something I didn't think of but was obvious to all of you?

    I'm leaning towards B, but A has its merits.

    submitted by /u/richincleve
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment