• Breaking News

    Sunday, February 2, 2020

    Daily Advice Thread - All basic help or advice questions must be posted here. Investing

    Daily Advice Thread - All basic help or advice questions must be posted here. Investing


    Daily Advice Thread - All basic help or advice questions must be posted here.

    Posted: 02 Feb 2020 04:11 AM PST

    If your question is "I have $10,000, what do I do?" or other "advice for my personal situation" questions. If you are going to ask how to invest you should include relevant information, such as the following:

    • How old are you?
    • Are you employed/making income? How much?
    • What are your objectives with this money? (buy a house? Retirement savings?)
    • What is your risk tolerance? (Do you mind risking it at blackjack or do you need to know its 100% safe?)
    • What are you current holdings? (Do you already have exposure to specific funds and sectors?)
    • Any other assets? House paid off? Cars? Expensive significant other?
    • What is your time horizon? Do you need this money next month? Next 20yrs?
    • Any big debts?
    • Any other relevant financial information will be useful to give you a proper answer.

    Please consider consulting our FAQ first - https://www.reddit.com/r/investing/wiki/faq

    Be aware that these answers are just opinions of Redditors and should be used as a starting point for your research. You should strongly consider seeing a registered financial rep before making any financial decisions!

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    China reports outbreak of deadly bird flu among chickens in Hunan province, close to coronavirus epicentre of Wuhan

    Posted: 02 Feb 2020 01:23 AM PST

    https://www.scmp.com/news/china/society/article/3048566/china-reports-outbreak-deadly-bird-flu-among-chickens-hunan

    This might hurt their already unstable meat production caused by the swine flu.

    On another note, in november last year, China needing meat for it's populace because of pork shortage lifted a 5 year US poultry import ban causing stocks such as Sanderson farms and Tyson foods to rise. Not sure if China will import more chicken if this bird flu continues, but keep on the lookout for news on this development.

    submitted by /u/PurpleCheesyTaco
    [link] [comments]

    My January Investment Returns (stock market and real estate returns from someone who retired in their 40s)

    Posted: 01 Feb 2020 03:38 PM PST

    I've made an attempt to streamline these updates to keep things more relevant to where they are being posted. To see the previous month https://www.reddit.com/r/leanfire/comments/eik3l5/life_after_fire_december_update/

    to see this month's real estate specific post https://www.reddit.com/r/RentalInvesting/comments/exefp1/january_rental_business_numbers/

    I officially retired somewhere between 2011 and 2013. The time is not specific because I fazed out my previous business and was still handling my real estate management myself...so if you count from the time I hired a full time property manager and was completely finished will all previous businesses it would be later date. If your definition is more lenient, then it would be the earlier date.

    Okay, now for the numbers.

    My net real estate income from existing rentals for the month was $9,243 . (The low number this month is because I had to repair 4 AC units that were damaged in a lightening strike... in addition to the usual minor repairs and property management expenses) If you are interested in the full details of the business numbers, please see the real estate specific update from the link above..

    Estimated real estate portfolio value $1.35M This is an increase of $30K over last month.

    Total Acquisition Costs of real estate (including initial renovations) $418,000

    My total investments/cash outside of real estate totaled $266,096 This is a combination of stock, Fundrise, money market, and cash. This is an increase of $1,549 over last month.

    My personal spending was $800 (everything not business related)...details can be seen at my post on r/Frugal

    https://www.reddit.com/r/Frugal/comments/exf7m7/january_spending_breakdown_how_i_live_on_800_per/

    As always, feel free to ask any questions!

    For those interested in my yearly numbers of income and spending, I made about $125K net in 2019 from the rentals (haven't finished taxes, so this is an estimate), my investments outside of the rental business made about $50K (all of that was reinvested) and my personal spending was about $10K.

    submitted by /u/AccidentalFIRE
    [link] [comments]

    How do you think the market will look on Monday ?

    Posted: 01 Feb 2020 11:38 AM PST

    Brexit + Re opening of the Shanghai + SHENZHENG stock exchange + CORONA virus getting worse

    submitted by /u/Greenjuice154
    [link] [comments]

    The past isn't a predictor future performance...

    Posted: 02 Feb 2020 01:08 AM PST

    If the past isn't a predictor to future performance, why are market cap weighted index so popular, considering their composition is backward looking rather than forward.

    This is in contrast to so-called Factor ETFs (Vol, Mom, Value, Quality) and naturally Equal-weighted index.

    submitted by /u/gymaliz
    [link] [comments]

    Investing in Africa (Nigeria, Congo, Tanzania, etc)

    Posted: 02 Feb 2020 03:46 AM PST

    Hello,

    I live in the Netherlands and I've been reading up on some upcoming economies like Nigeria and other countries in Africa. I don't want to rush into this as I feel it could be decades away before it really pays off.

    For now I wish to gather some information on which brokers allow this kind of trading, what are some tickers or markets to watch in your opinion and would you say it's worth to consider right now?

    My plan is to save up some money to invest there in the coming decade.

    submitted by /u/qtphu
    [link] [comments]

    Interesting article in WSJ about problems of ETF investing

    Posted: 01 Feb 2020 07:15 PM PST

    https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-stock-got-crushed-then-the-etfs-had-to-sell-11580486424

    They do have a point, because looking at some ETFs I can see clear winners and losers. These losers are dragging down the performance and reducing competition. I suspect in the future the company just needs to be added to some index and it guarantees that stock will go up.

    submitted by /u/accidentally_right
    [link] [comments]

    Multiple ETF's or all into one?

    Posted: 01 Feb 2020 08:18 PM PST

    So I have 20k$ I am looking to invest in. This is not all of my cash, just what I am willing to risk. I so far have putt 10k towards multiple shares of, $APPL, $V, $T, $MSFT, $K, $F(Don't ask).

    New to investing. Literally don't know crap other than I just want to park this cash for a bit instead of letting it sit in a savings with the rest of it. I'm not gonna panic sell. If the market crashes, oh well I'll wait for these shares to rise back up. I pretty much just went in blind with the shares I purchased and bought 10-20 of each. I recently found out about ETFs. Investing in the S&P 500 and total market ETF's.

    I figured for the remaining 10,000 it would be safer to drop this into an ETF. Question I am wondering is, is it best to diverse my ETF investing across multiple different ETFs? Or is it wiser to invest it all into one.

    I'm leaning towards going 50/50. Half into VOO and the other into VTI. But just coming here for some guidance/advice.

    submitted by /u/Sarz13
    [link] [comments]

    Im looking for book and/or podcast recommendations that have personally helped you get to where you are

    Posted: 01 Feb 2020 08:14 PM PST

    I am just in the beginning phase and am looking for books or podcasts that have helped you at any stage of your investing. I spend a lot of time in my work truck and have time to listen throughout the day. Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated!

    submitted by /u/joshmcc13
    [link] [comments]

    China to pump billions into the market on Monday

    Posted: 02 Feb 2020 05:00 AM PST

    China to pump billions into market on Monday.

    Looks like they are going to try to slow the bleeding tomorrow.

    submitted by /u/kliv555
    [link] [comments]

    Shopify stock as long term investment?

    Posted: 02 Feb 2020 01:01 AM PST

    What do you all think of Shopify as a long term investment? Company still not profitable, competition, and overvalued stock price are my biggest worries.

    submitted by /u/ElectricOne55
    [link] [comments]

    Robinhood VS M1 finance

    Posted: 02 Feb 2020 03:29 AM PST

    Can't decide which brokerage I want to use for my dividend portfolio. Drop comments below please.

    submitted by /u/Blessed2Invest
    [link] [comments]

    10 Year Investment Plan With $5000

    Posted: 02 Feb 2020 03:17 AM PST

    I have $5000 I want to invest for a 10 year period what are some ideas?

    submitted by /u/OriginalMilkTea
    [link] [comments]

    Have trouble starting my Investment Portfolio

    Posted: 02 Feb 2020 02:58 AM PST

    Hi all,

    I've started to do some research and reading relating to investment and finance in the last few weeks. Being Irish and living in Ireland, most of my friends who do some sort of investing (most index funds/etfs) seem to use a platform called Degiro. However, upon installation I was blocked from using the finance platform due to my dual US citizenship status (my mother is from the US). Looking at US based platforms for example M1 Finance, it seems like they require their users to have a US address or mobile number. So I kinda feel like I'm a little trapped. I can't use EU based platforms because I'm technically a US citizen and I can't use the US platforms because I don't live in the US.

    Any help or advice would be awesome! Also, as I am still new to this whole investment game, just general advice is also welcome! Much thanks in advance 😊

    submitted by /u/conormb93
    [link] [comments]

    How to invest in Warsaw Stock Exchange

    Posted: 02 Feb 2020 02:41 AM PST

    Hi everybody!

    I was wondering if any of you know an app or service (or other way) that lets you invest in smaller european stock markets? Polish Warsaw Stock Exchange in this case.

    Specifically, I'm searching for a way to invest in CDR (CD PROJEKT RED).

    For anyone wondering, they are a game studio with an excellent track record and VERY devoted fans. They will launch a massive game at the end of the year and all things point to it being a success.

    submitted by /u/MyGiG
    [link] [comments]

    How to see ETF holdings

    Posted: 01 Feb 2020 01:30 PM PST

    I am trying to get a list of what a particular ETF holds (actual holdings, not "category subtotals"). I realize that the list will be lagged (for example, be a list of what the fund held 3 months ago).

    When I have searched a couple of ETFs on the SEC Edgar filing database, nothing is found.

    Where can I get this info?

    Edit: Short answer= in the annual report.

    submitted by /u/chunkeroo37
    [link] [comments]

    Brexit and Coronavirus perfect timing?

    Posted: 01 Feb 2020 01:10 PM PST

    I don't know if this was amazing cocidence or purposeful timing by the British and EU. Huge news like britian finally leaving the EU would've sent uncertainty waves throughout the market BUT this coronavirus thing is the top headline right now

    submitted by /u/Sandvicheater
    [link] [comments]

    Most interesting emerging intl market companies on the NYSE?

    Posted: 01 Feb 2020 03:34 PM PST

    For those that think the US companies are overpriced..relatively, what emerging market companies are you interested in?

    Edit: It doesn't have to be on NYSE.

    submitted by /u/snailmailz
    [link] [comments]

    Aimt

    Posted: 01 Feb 2020 10:43 PM PST

    Anyone think this is going to go crazy? 29% short,11m shares short interest. Just got a FDA approval. 92% institutional ownership. Possible nestle buy out? Only popped 16% after market friday. I'm thinking this thing could go wild next week. Just the media coverage alone is insane. First of it's of kind for peanut allergies . Possible approval in Europe later this year. Proof of concept for the rest of the pipeline.

    submitted by /u/Unfair-Wheel
    [link] [comments]

    Growth cloud companies vs Long term blue chip companies

    Posted: 01 Feb 2020 01:48 PM PST

    I'm debating on which companies to add to my portfolio. I'm trying to choose between cloud and cybersecurity high growth but often unprofitable or barely profitable companies like Okta, Twilio, TEAM, Servicenow, Veeva. And between classic low growth but predictable companies like Target, Visa, Estee Lauder, Home Depot, Mcdonalds, McCormick etc.

    The growth of the newer cloud companies blows the other companies out the water; however, the software lifecycle worries me. Will any of these companies be around more than 3 yrs? A lot of them seem really niche too. The other companies have fewer downswings, but almost nonexistant revenue and slow stock price share growth compared to cloud companies. However, these are dominant companies that control a large market share or have monopolies in their industries. Whereas the other companies maybe control 3% of a niche market at the most. I'm younger so I need to focus more on growth, but I'm a long term investor and a lot of these cloud companies Buffett wouldn't touch. However, maybe current times are different than from when Buffett started. What do you all think growth cloud or predictable blue chip?

    submitted by /u/ElectricOne55
    [link] [comments]

    Thoughts on PTON?

    Posted: 01 Feb 2020 02:55 PM PST

    Earnings report coming up what do y'all think

    submitted by /u/mattreinstl
    [link] [comments]

    Need help unlocking spreads

    Posted: 01 Feb 2020 01:01 PM PST

    I have a Roth IRA with td Ameritrade and I can't seem to get the final level of options unlocked, I've sold covered calls already and have spreads on robinhood, should I just call them?

    submitted by /u/DylanDevin06
    [link] [comments]

    How to tread this message from investment software "Shift Assets In Your Portfolio And You Could Earn $xxx over the 20 years"

    Posted: 01 Feb 2020 12:53 PM PST

    I've been getting the following message recently from my finance tracking software (Personal Capital):

    "Shift Assets In Your Portfolio And You Could Earn $xxx (a lot of money) over the 20 years A globally diversified portfolio can be an effective way to reach your investment goals. Because your portfolio is conservative, we anticipate you could be missing out on powerful growth opportunities. Based on historical results, your current portfolio is expected to return 6.1% compared to 7.1% you could expect with a globally diversified Target Allocation. In 20 years, this difference in returns could cost you up to $xxx.

    I have been advised based on my upcoming retirement (I'm 62, want to retire at 63) that I should maintain a 50/50 stock/bonds split. I kind of chafe at this because of the historic track record of stocks vs. bonds, but I've been told that at this point asset preservation is as important as growing assets.

    Is this just a generic message which doesn't take age into account? I think I'll live to be at least 82 at this point, and I could use the extra money.

    submitted by /u/jackbenimble999
    [link] [comments]

    80K in amd with calls and options, time to sell?

    Posted: 01 Feb 2020 06:40 PM PST

    I've been invested in amd for a while now. started at $14 , bought at 9, 16, 20, 30, and 45. I have about 77K in stock and call options. However my bank account is only $5k. With the mark tanking, would it be wise for me to sell and have a nest egg in my bank account? My holdings was at 95K right bfore earnings and it's disheartening to see a $15K loss of my profits.

    submitted by /u/JuniorIdeal0
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment