• Breaking News

    Monday, February 3, 2020

    Accounting It do be like that

    Accounting It do be like that


    It do be like that

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 01:16 PM PST

    God I hate standards..

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 09:19 AM PST

    As a beginning accounting student, this guy is the GOAT

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 07:04 PM PST

    FTFY

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 11:18 AM PST

    When you try to collect money for super bowl squares from a partner and you are an intern.

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 07:26 AM PST

    Woot!

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 09:32 PM PST

    Would you leave your job for $5,000 more dollars after 6 months?

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 05:13 PM PST

    Or am I cheap whore?

    submitted by /u/giantdickinmyface
    [link] [comments]

    [CAN] Audit to IT (ERP and FP&A) consulting?

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 05:21 PM PST

    Hello r/Accounting,

    I'm currently working at a national firm in Toronto (not big 4), and just wanted to ask some opinion on my potential move. I recently received my designation and I think it's my time to leave audit. I had an opportunity to network with other service lines, and one partner in IT consulting is interested in bringing me into his team.

    We had some conversation and he is building a team for an ERP and FP&A system implementation, which includes creating analysis modelling as well. I wasn't sure if I still wanted to be in accounting so it's very interesting to me. Especially, I always wanted to work with technology with finance so I feel it's a great opportunity for me. But, I'm not sure how the exit opportunity after this role... Is there a demand in the industry jobs for such experience??

    If you have moved similar jump, or currently working in a similar role, could you let me know how the exit opportunity looks like, please? Thank you!

    submitted by /u/throwaway_nopublic
    [link] [comments]

    Count your blessings Public Accountants

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 01:53 PM PST

    Wow. I worked 5 years in fast food and it was heaven compared to what I did today. Now I understand why in the orientation they said what they did. In fast food at least, lots of different roles, customer interaction, making coffee, assorting timbits or donuts using your professional judgement, taking drive thru orders, giving a free old fashioned plain for the doggo, making sandwiches, filtering coffee filters, etc. Everyone was generally relatively upbeat and weren't living on fumes.

    I finished school in 2019 and my PA job starts in September so in the meantime I am working in a factory, the only job I could find. During the orientation, the woman literally said she made her children work here so they realize how shit it is and work hard in school. When another co-worker of hers who was presenting said "we're chill don't get on our bad side" the lady replied " I don't have a good side. That's what this job will do to you folks, I didn't just become like this randomly. No one wants to do this."

    Today was my first day on the factory floor and man is it fucking exhausting as fuck. I work for a "prestigious" food company and holy fuck. The entire day all I did was stand and open ice cream sandwiches cookie packets and put it in the dispenser. Again, and again, oh wait, and again. Jesus fucking Christ. That's it. It is such a drain mentally. Just try to imagine literally doing the exact same menial single task again and again and again. No headphones, no music. I'd rather sit in a cubicle and work till 8pm during busy season than shred my brain cells literally doing the exact same thing. If you don't understand why this is hard, try staring at the exact same spot for 10 minutes straight. Your mind always needs new stimulus, constantly. Eventually you will start hallucinating and your eyes will begin distorting the image into different things. It's a similar thing here. It's the exact same for every person, just on a different task.

    When I go for lunch, I have to be back on the floor in the line at the time lunch ends. So if I get a 20 min lunch in reality it is 10. Don't even have time usually to leave the building and get some air. Not even have to start putting my gloves on by the time lunch ends, no literally working in the line the second lunch ends. There is 0 leeway because otherwise you fuck over the other person waiting for their lunch by taking from their time.

    When I sat in the cafeteria, there was near complete silence. People say "hey buddy" "hey Jim" to each other and then stare off into blank space for 20 minutes to recuperate. The only happy guy there seems to be the security guy. Even in the administrative office which is disconnected from the office it seems angry af from the cultural spillover. Every time I walk by the office someone is spazzing hard at someone else while the security guy smiles. Nowhere to even sit for a second. Have to stand the whole time. This was fucking brutal. 8 more months at most.

    Good luck nonetheless with busy season everyone. Your health and happiness is important.

    submitted by /u/Left_Locksmith
    [link] [comments]

    I might be the in the minority...

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 08:11 PM PST

    But I love accounting—I'm an accounting student right now.

    I know I'm not yet even close to being in the Big 4 or understanding busy season, but man learning it and understand it is so satisfying and keeps my constant inquiries satiated. Knowing how useful it is in business and how the field operates-as in most cases- hard work and long hours moves you up I'm just excited to be going into the field. The feeling of getting a concept and applying it basically to real world stuff is cool. It's crazy cuz even the most basic things are used in accountants every day jobs. Like I'm high school when you learn pay roll, you can basically do it for a local business. This was a little weird spur but I just had to say it for all the people burnt out that need to remember why they got into it.

    submitted by /u/jmatACT
    [link] [comments]

    Circling Back on our drill down

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 09:40 AM PST

    Hey anon,

    Just reaching out to circle back on the drill down we touched base on earlier. Like we discussed, you should close this down by doing a thorough critical self review and leveraging the best practices checklist followed up with a gut-check for good measure. Hoping everything clicks and you don't have to spin your wheels too much on this pain point. Ping me your status at EOD and we can do a quick fly-over of the process to see what we need to throw on your queue for tomorrow.

    M̶̢̤͈̩̗̝͕̥̞̣͙͒͗͊̃͊͂̈̔̀̀̍̊̀̇̓Ȁ̷̧͚̲̹͖̜͚͍̙̣̩͗͠K̵̢̤̲͇̦̦̜͉̜̖̣̳͉̜̋ͅẼ̸̥̞͉̦̪̫̮̠͔̱̐́́͌͒͘ ̷̟̣̗̖̟̘͋̆́̄̽̉̒̾̃̌̔͗̚͘͠Ť̶̨̡̹̪͓͉̻̹̖̔̈́̀̆̇̽̑̀̋̈́̄͆̃͝Ḫ̶̦̣͕̲͔̺̰̌̽͗̈̋̌̉͆̈́́̓̚ͅͅE̸̡̛͚̦̳̙̠̺͉̬̮̣̓͒̇͗̋̓̆̽̃̔̚͘͝͝ ̷̨̞̬͔̯̪͈̻̟̜̗͙̗͎̠̑͊̄̀̈́͌V̴̨̛̛͍̺͉̯̺̺̘͚̫̇͆̈́̀̀̎̚͝͝O̶̡̧̬͈͚̼̳̖̝̍̀̐̀͐͛͊̿́̀͐̕̕͝I̷̧̘̖̤̯̐Ç̷̡̳̖͎̩̭̤̩͈̻͐̀̈͆̓Ë̷̠͈͍̣̭̮̝̩̆̌̍͝ͅͅͅS̵͉̥̈́̒͗̈̅̃̂̊̍̈́̚͠ ̵̡̘̩̙̩̏́͗̀̒̃̑͊͋͌̽͂͝͝͝Ş̶̻͇̤̻̺̤̦̪̯̻̃͌T̷̟̺̥̗͍͎̘͖̳̫̰̣̟̆̈́̄̈̌̃̆̆ͅỚ̴̡̯͇̯̄̑̓͒͐́̇̐̐͋̅͘͝P̴̲̟̾̽̽̍̓̒̕

    submitted by /u/ZTF_Artorias
    [link] [comments]

    My manager during busy season:

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 07:25 AM PST

    5 months after starting my search for an accounting position, only one interview so far. Starting to get worried.

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 08:12 PM PST

    I live in Las Vegas which I figured would be plenty big enough to find a job by now. Every day I apply to all the new job postings on linkedin, indeed, and my school's system. My Accounting GPA is 3.5 and I've passed FAR and AUD. I'm waiting for my REG and BEC scores to be released.

    I originally was only interested in industry jobs, but now I'm thinking I should start trying to reach out to public firms as well. I didn't like the idea of longer hours but man I need to get to work. Upside is I can fulfill the experience requirement in a shorter amount of time.

    I met with a recruiter from Robert Half but it's been over a month and a half now and I haven't gotten any interviews through her. No luck with a couple other recruiting agencies either.

    Should I start applying to AR/AP positions just so I can stay busy? Will that handicap my salary trying to move up to a staff accountant position?

    Trying to stay positive and enjoy the extra free time at the moment, but the job search is starting to get to me. Especially the lack of interview opportunities.

    submitted by /u/accntingthrowaway427
    [link] [comments]

    Is it normal to not know what the fuck you're doing in an internship?

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 11:47 AM PST

    Seriously, a month in and I have no clue wtf I'm doing.

    I've fumbled around with QPR and 1099's a bit, but now we're doing individual and entity returns and I feel lost in the sauce. Even my Senior/Reviewer is confused about some stuff he's supposed to be doing.

    Is this level of confusion a firm thing, or an industry thing?

    submitted by /u/20ateteens
    [link] [comments]

    Masters In Accounting Discussion

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 09:26 PM PST

    Was curious to see how many people on here got a masters in accounting and how easy or hard the program was. I completed a busy season internship last year got a job with that mid tier firm and then started my masters program which is required with my firm along with a 3.5 GPA. In undergrad I studied a good amount but also had a full time job and had semi decent grades 3.8. However half way thorugh my masters program I am really struggling have a 3.2 GPA and am trying to split my time between working studying for CPA and then studying for the program. My program is fairly strict but does not really teach to the CPA exam which in my opinion is awful. I am interested in everyones masters experience and to hear how hard your program was. I just find it pointless then learning anything other then CPA stuff ad most of my friends in my other program the classes are a joke and basically you study for the exam.

    submitted by /u/BUNGLE4BURROW
    [link] [comments]

    Stuck in a job with golden handcuffs...Need help tips/advice from experienced accountants (CANADA)

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 05:24 PM PST

    So I think I really screwed up the start of my career by going into tax and working for the government.......The reason why i feel like i messed up, here's a bit about me:

    I went to a pretty good business school in which many companies/firms recruit from. I did co-op in the industry (corporate and bank) to gain some experiences and be ready for the professional world after graduation. I was involved at school too so I could expand my network. The only issue is that I never really like networking events. I never had the interest in getting my auditor title or work in audit for an accounting firm. I attended once the recruitment cocktail and I really hated that....Then I learned about risk advisory opportunities and I thought that would be a department that I would like to join. Things changed when I decided to apply for fun for a summer job at the government as I was curious about the department that I got hired into. I said that I applied for "fun" because i was already looking to apply for Risk Advisory in an accounting firm and just wanted to see what the public sector is like for a short period of time. At the beginning, I thought it was not too bad and then my manager offered me a full time+permanent before my graduation. Seeing the benefits and salary that came with it, I was like "ok, let's give it a try and see what tax audit is like. Plus, they fully reimburse my CPA." So i started the job in January 2019. It's been a year and I realized how little I learn and improve as a "professional". My other colleague also said the same thing but he is too old to complain about this job and needed the salary.

    I am currently pursuing my CPA and I hope to get out of this mess but everyday I am being told that I have the best job ever and that I will retire with a lot of money and might something better in the near future. Plus, I grew up in a family where everyone said that a government job was the best job that you could get. I was naive and obviously trusted that because I saw how my uncles/aunts getting high salaries and were enjoying their lives with their children. But I never knew that my particular employer would be filled of lazy professional workers............(my family members obviously hide this fact).

    Now, I regret it so much. I hate tax so much now. The stereotypes of the government work are so real. People who enjoy working there have never been in the private or had bad experiences in the private sector!!!! Public servants are overpaid at the entry level and they barely work. Just reading my employer's website and how they value innovation is laughable. It is a shame that we waste our tax dollars for that place.........

    Now, I do not even know if I will even have the chance to get out of this after my CPA and follow what I initially wanted to do (Risk advisory)..........I would like to get some advices on what I should be doing next because I keep telling myself that I want to quit everyday.........I am so disappointed at the public sector.

    submitted by /u/accolife
    [link] [comments]

    Ex t process of becoming an accountant

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 08:42 PM PST

    I'm sixteen, and i wanna go into accounting (as of right now, who knows maybe that'll change but right now i'm leaning towards it heavily) i know this is a dumb question so i'm sorry but what are the exact steps of becoming / getting your CPA

    like after highschool how many years did it take to become a CPA specifically, what did your college class schedule look like after you began majoring in accounting etc.

    submitted by /u/cosmeticvampire
    [link] [comments]

    What You Are (circa 2011)

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 04:51 PM PST

    Private and Public Accountants: What is the best payoff for your work, and is the reason you don’t switch careers?

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 03:31 PM PST

    I see a lot of y'all hating accounting, and I have two years of college left, so I am wondering what the good side looks like. If you're on California, is housing actually affordable for you?

    submitted by /u/no1suck
    [link] [comments]

    Woman Asks For Examples Of Passive Aggressive Work Phrases And 25 People Nail It (Sorry for the clickbait title)

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 11:51 AM PST

    Busy Season Beard

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 06:29 AM PST

    Overworked intern here. I'm thinking about doing a busy season beard to see just how homeless I can look in the end. I'm already two weeks in so why stop now

    submitted by /u/InterestingPurpose
    [link] [comments]

    Second Career from Unrelated Field

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 07:14 PM PST

    I currently have my master's in Speech Language Pathology and am looking to switch to Accounting. I took Intro and Managerial Accounting during my undergraduate degree and liked both classes. However, I felt I was too far along in my studies to switch majors. Fast forward a few years and now I'm in a career that has very little earning potential due to Medicare changes and feels very dead end despite requiring an advanced degree.

    I have a significant amount of student loan debt so I am looking at cash flowing this degree/career change as cheaply as possible. Would I be better off getting a master's from a school such as CSU Global or a bachelor's from LSU online?

    submitted by /u/kelskoche
    [link] [comments]

    Big 4 Summer Internship Duration

    Posted: 03 Feb 2020 07:12 PM PST

    Hey guys,

    So I just accepted an audit internship with EY's FSO (Financial Services Org) for summer of 2020, and was wondering what the specific duration (in weeks) that it will be. Like will it be 8 weeks/10 weeks or what? I wasn't given a hard answer as they were still finalizing dates but said early June- early August.

    Also, I'm wondering if its looked down upon if they give me a full time offer at the end and turn it down. Not saying I will, but I have always been and continue to be extremely skeptical on the B4 lifestyle (would go as far as saying I'd consider lower level industry/gov't work if it meant a more free lifestyle.

    Thanks for reading

    submitted by /u/Collegeguy32
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment