• Breaking News

    Saturday, February 8, 2020

    $82k in Student Loans Just Got Forgiven! Student Loans

    $82k in Student Loans Just Got Forgiven! Student Loans


    $82k in Student Loans Just Got Forgiven!

    Posted: 07 Feb 2020 12:23 PM PST

    Burner acct. but i had nobody to share this with. Just had $82k in Student Loans from undergrad/overgrad forgiven thanks to TPD & the VA 100% disability rating! Suck it, capitalism!

    submitted by /u/zoltanursavior
    [link] [comments]

    PSLF Update

    Posted: 07 Feb 2020 03:36 AM PST

    I submitted for PSLF around the first week of January 2020. Since then I received a letter indicating that they could not process my application because I was missing questions 10-13 even though on question 9 it states that if you answer yes you skip those questions. Called them up and they said it was their error and resubmitted for processing.

    Got another letter today indicating that the phone number for my employer is missing in section 4. Guess what? It's there and legible. Now I gotta call them again today and see what's up.

    I swear I get the feeling that they do not want to approve my PSLF application. Ugh.

    submitted by /u/Lamstvn
    [link] [comments]

    Is it possible to pay off >100K in student loans???!

    Posted: 08 Feb 2020 12:17 AM PST

    I'm currently pursuing a masters in biomedical engineering and am set to graduate in 2022 with roughly $120,000 in (mostly federal) student loan debt, which includes my undergraduate loans. Based on the data for BME jobs the annual income in my area of the US is $60-80k per year. I plan to live at home with my parents for 2-3 years while paying off my debt once I graduate. I only see stories of people drowning in student loan debt and it is freaking me out, am I missing something fundamental in how these loans work?? If I have barely any expenses is it possible for me to pay off this loan?? I just need someone to tell me ONE story at LEAST so I know it is possible.

    submitted by /u/cloudybreezes
    [link] [comments]

    Good idea to take Discover up on their offer ?

    Posted: 07 Feb 2020 10:59 PM PST

    So I have been thinking I have 3700.00 in student loans with Navient for whatever reason when Sallie Mae split and the loans floated to this company it was split into 2 loans both at 4.10% interest I was thinking about an offer from Discover Card were 2000.00 of credit card balance could be transferred to my bank account. After doing so paying off one of the two loans almost completely. My job offered constant overtime so I know I could pay this off in the 0% offer window. Any input on my idea I love to save money anywhere I can. Honestly I have no problems meeting bills I'm looking all over to say all the pennies I can pinch lol honest feedback welcome thank you guys !!

    submitted by /u/Kdans123
    [link] [comments]

    IDR Question

    Posted: 07 Feb 2020 10:42 PM PST

    I got married in late 2019. I'm about to re-certify my IDR and will be using my 2018 return, which was filed when I was still single. My husband and I plan to file separately this year. I was just going through the process of re-certifying and I saw that he needs to co-sign my application. Is there some way to note that we intend to file separately? I'm worried that his income will be considered since we have no way of proving that we plan to file separately. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you!

    submitted by /u/vulpesnecator
    [link] [comments]

    Gambling on a Good President

    Posted: 07 Feb 2020 10:39 PM PST

    It it worth it to gamble on a president like Sanders or Warren to win?

    I'm a 2019 graduate and haven't started paying for my loans (57k) yet. I have ~7k in my debit and am ready to dig deep into to my loans once its starts punching me in the face. I am not very political, but since it's that time of the year for an election and my loans are starting to creep behind me, I think it's time to get political a bit.

    Should i put massive chunk of money that i've earned (maybe 90% ?) post college as soon as I start paying for loans or do I do the minimum in hopes that one of those two win?

    submitted by /u/ArchieReddit
    [link] [comments]

    I need to get my student loans back on track to help my credit score and the service is sending me paperwork to do a consolidation. What should I know?

    Posted: 07 Feb 2020 06:42 PM PST

    I owe approximately $79k through 5 loans. My loan has already been rehabilitated so they say I have to consolidate. Is this a bad deal? Will it help my credit if I start making regular payments? Or should I look to someone like sofi?

    submitted by /u/tway2029
    [link] [comments]

    I owe 144,000$

    Posted: 07 Feb 2020 08:49 AM PST

    Currently making around 42k, living at home, spending wisely while still trying to enjoy my limited time on earth. Also looking for a second job. Any advice???

    submitted by /u/melia_en
    [link] [comments]

    What documentation do I provide to National Student Loan Service Centre (NSLSC) to show that I'm continuing studies after the "end date" ?

    Posted: 07 Feb 2020 06:50 PM PST

    I returned to school after a break and applied part-time for an OSAP grant+loan for the winter semester. I received a notice that my end-date was updated to April 2020 and that my loan payment starts Feb 29! However, I plan to continue my studies for another year since I took time off... What do I send to them to prevent this interest from starting to incur ?

    submitted by /u/farhnazf
    [link] [comments]

    So frustrated!!! Nobody has my student loan account number!

    Posted: 07 Feb 2020 06:25 PM PST

    This is freaking insane. I posted earlier today about trying to find my student loan account number in order to get my IRS tax transcript online so that I may appeal my LSAC fee waiver for the LSAT.

    First I called my servicer, Great Lakes. They gave me incorrect information- they gave me the account number that's associated with Great Lakes solely, instead of my federal student loan account number, which I made very clear. I then contacted federal student aid. You think they would have it, but nope! They suggested I speak to my university.

    I spoke to my university. They told me to call my loan servicer provider again and essentially demand it. I did. They flat out told me they no longer give out that information, even though I practically begged. So I called federal student aid again. Once again, they insisted on my loan service provider. I'm so frustrated. It looks like I'll have to request by mail, and this could completely destroy my shot at the LSAC fee. The system's disorganization is probably going to cost me close to a grand.

    Why do they make navigating student loans so IMPOSSIBLE. How does NO ONE know my student loan account number?

    (Note: I looked on my 1098T and they had an eight-digit number listed for "account number" however this is not what the IRS is looking for, supposedly. Supposedly what they are looking for begins with a letter and is followed by nine numbers, or something.)

    submitted by /u/stfu_prettypls
    [link] [comments]

    Need refinancing advice

    Posted: 07 Feb 2020 02:38 PM PST

    Hey guys! So I really need to refinance my private loan...it's currently at around $64000 at 11.5% with Sallie Mae. There's no way I can afford the payments. I have excellent credit, and get pre-approved by many companies but always get denied in the end because of my debt-to-income ratio. My only other debt is my car and a credit card that I'm working on. My income is about $36000/yr. Do I have any options? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/willowluna2911
    [link] [comments]

    Recertify My Income or Wait til They Ask Me?

    Posted: 07 Feb 2020 02:17 PM PST

    Hi everyone! Here is a summary of my student loans:

    Principal Balance:$168,312.50

    Unpaid Interest:$22,496.07

    Total Balance:$190,808.57

    My question: From August 2018 to August 2019, I made $50,000 and made payments based on my income to my loan provider. From August 2019 to December 15, 2019, I was unemployed. During that time, I was asked to recertify my income for purposes of calculating payments based on my income for the coming year. I called my loan provider and explained that I was unemployed and not making any income at all but expected to be employed by December 16th. They used my $0 income to calculate $0 payments for the coming year but informed me that I could notify them of my new employment and begin making payments according to that income when the time came, and also that I could alternatively wait a year to recertify again and stick with $0 payments for the year. I indeed became employed again as of mid-December at $56,000/year and am wondering if I should contact my loan provider and inform them of my new income and make payments according to my income or if I should just make $0 payments for a year and then pay again when asked to recertify a year from now. Extra info that may be relevant: I am an attorney working for a government agency so may be eligible for public service loan forgiveness but I also understand that that program has not erased loans for even the most eligible applicants and is unlikely to forgive loans in the future.

    Could I please get some advice as to whether I should make no payments for the year and wait til being asked to recertify my income or whether I should prematurely notify my loan provider of my new income and make payments in accordance with my income level?

    Thank you so much for all of the work you guys do providing advice for people like me.

    submitted by /u/studentloanhelp1776
    [link] [comments]

    Letter from US Department of Education Re: Borrower Defense Application - what does it mean re: payment

    Posted: 07 Feb 2020 02:57 PM PST

    I am a co-signer on Navient private loan.
    The borrower immediately shut off his auto-payments when he received that letter from the DOE about his borrower defense application. It says: Because you're not required to make payments while your borrower defense application is pending, your loans cannot go into default (and we will not initiate collection activity).

    I did not find this out until I got an email from Navient in Dec. saying his payment was past due. I've continued making payments because when I log in it appears that the payments are still due (and I don't want to ruin my credit).

    He cut off communication after I asked him what he saw when he logged into Navient - I just asked him if he was seeing a note on his screen that payments weren't due.

    However, I'm not sure if maybe it's just because I'm the co-signer that they're seeking payment from me when they shouldn't. Anyone have any insight?

    submitted by /u/screamalesfan
    [link] [comments]

    Need Advice on Federal Student Loan

    Posted: 07 Feb 2020 08:48 AM PST

    Thank you in advance to any information:

    I attended college 10 years ago and did not finish. I have a 13,614.00 Balance that I have been paying $73/month on for a year. The Principle Balance has only dropped $40 in a years time because they said there in a interest rate that is applied to my account each day. Every day.

    I asked if there was an option to consolidate the loan and pay a lump sum and they told me no. I also asked then at this rate how long would it take to pay of $13k if I see barely any movement on my loans. I was told my amount owed would raise over the years and I am expected to pay this off in its entirety in 20 years.

    I will be 50 years old then, out of school for 30. This is just ridiculous to me.

    Please if someone has any guidance on what I should do or any other possible avenues that could help me. A part of me just wants to stop paying all together but I do not know the repercussions of doing so.

    Please and thank you kindly,

    N

    submitted by /u/Tijuanapineapple
    [link] [comments]

    Parent Plus Loan Paid in Full? Question

    Posted: 07 Feb 2020 02:02 PM PST

    Hi everyone! Sorry if this seems dumb but I'm a little confused. I had a $10,000 parent plus loan out under my dads name. I had been making payments everyone month and today when I went to make one I saw the balance was $0. I looked back on the payment history and saw there had been a $10,000 payment made in around 2017 which really confused me. (Unsure if my dad made this payment) (I really don't think he would) We received a letter in the mail yesterday from the loan company telling us the loan had been payed in full. Does this mean the loan is completely over? Thank you for any help.

    submitted by /u/mclexis
    [link] [comments]

    Do loans make much of a dent in salary?

    Posted: 07 Feb 2020 02:02 PM PST

    I always thought the amount of debt med students accrue at university was insane, but, being one of the top 10 highest paid professions, does it make a huge difference to the money they pocket? Does the high salary your degree grants you cancel out the loan repayments? Could you give an example?

    submitted by /u/masochist_nun
    [link] [comments]

    Interview sources needed — Student loan disputes

    Posted: 07 Feb 2020 10:00 AM PST

    Hey all, I'm writing an article for national media on student loan complaints/disputes. u/Betsy514 recommended I ask around here. If you made a complaint or were involved in a student loans dispute and you got results I'd love to speak with you about the experience. I will need to include some personal identifying details like full names, location, etc. in the article. Would love to hear from anyone who fits the bill.

    submitted by /u/a-hel
    [link] [comments]

    Refinancing

    Posted: 07 Feb 2020 07:46 AM PST

    So I owe $38,700 in student loans through Salle Mae and they are trying to charge me almost $600 a month to pay them back. They wont lower my payments because my cosigner has a lot of money in the bank but I don't rely on her for money since they are my student loans. My cosigner is also trying to have me take her off the loans (she's old and literally doesn't understand that that's not how it works and doesn't listen to me). So, I am trying to refinance them in my own name but want to know the best companies to look into and trust for this. Mind you, I just started paying them back in October.

    Any help/advice would be appreciated :)

    submitted by /u/1oovoojaver1
    [link] [comments]

    Deducting student loan payments, foreign income

    Posted: 07 Feb 2020 01:36 PM PST

    Thanks for reading.

    American in Australia. Loan details. Taken in 2011-2013:

    • Direct Subsidized Stafford $8,631.98 6.550% fixed

    • Direct Unsubsidized Stafford $16,028.20 6.550% fixed

    • Direct Unsubsidized Stafford$ 25,771.23 6.550% fixed

    Total after interest when payments started was about 55k (1.5 years ago) I've been praying 600 per month (aggressive) but it's just going nowhere... Completely frustrated....Not why I'm here though.

    I live in Australia so don't have US income but was curious if there was any tax benefits in Australia for paying education based loans overseas. I believe the US has a system for such a thing (deductions for money going out) but I can't seem to find any info for Aus.

    Also, any further tips on dealing with the massive burden, please let me know.

    submitted by /u/skkunx
    [link] [comments]

    Should I take out a Subsidized loan to pay Unsub loan?

    Posted: 07 Feb 2020 01:11 PM PST

    Currently I am an undergrad student graduating in Fall 21 with a total of $6000 in debt after paying a $1600. I applied for a new one and I am offered around $5500 of Fed Direct Sub Stafford Loan and $2000 of Fed Direct Unsub Stafford Loan. While I have no immediate need to take out another loan, would it still be in my best interest (no pun intended) to take out the 5500 subsidized loan and use it to pay the current loan I have. So that I end up having to pay less in total interest?

    submitted by /u/ThrowAwayLikeALine
    [link] [comments]

    Owing $60000 and refusing to pay back

    Posted: 07 Feb 2020 12:04 PM PST

    My boss was telling me how she graduated a few years ago $60,000 in debt for a fashion merchandising degree. She told me she doesn't plan on paying the loans. I'm curious, what are the implications of this? What consequences could she potentially face? She seems to be living well for someone who owes that much.

    submitted by /u/PKGirl123
    [link] [comments]

    PAYE question. I was accepted on a joint income with my wife last year of $40,000. However, I know make $60,000 on my own not including my wife’s $38,000 salary. I am going to have to apply again and my question is will I be approved again for PAYE or will the force me to Revised PAYE?

    Posted: 07 Feb 2020 11:55 AM PST

    I was just wondering if anyone has experience with this because I plan to file taxes separately for my wife however, it is pointless if they don't reaccept me onto PAYE plan.

    submitted by /u/420MemeGawd69
    [link] [comments]

    Why should I pay back my student loans

    Posted: 07 Feb 2020 11:20 AM PST

    I've defaulted on $18,000 worth of student loans. That was 4 years ago. Collection agencies call me everyday. I have no money. I make enough to eat and live. What do I do?

    submitted by /u/Forsaken-Average
    [link] [comments]

    Wife has loans that we consolidated a while back. Anything else?

    Posted: 07 Feb 2020 09:09 AM PST

    Wife Loans: 65K at 6.050% interest

    Monthly payment: $510

    When we first graduated and got jobs her loans were $950 a month and she is a teacher who made around $900 twice a week. We quickly refinanced using myself as a cosigner with Sofi/Mohela to get the loan information above. Is there anything else we can do to lower the monthly payment? I would like to pay this off quicker and throw money at it but with other expenses and trying to rebuild our emergency fund this is challenging. If we could lower the payment even $100 a month we could continue paying the $510 and reduce it by at least a couple years. Long term we just hope our house value goes up so we can refinance and drop all that money into her loans.

    submitted by /u/redrayz
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment