• Breaking News

    Monday, November 25, 2019

    Accounting No resurrections this time

    Accounting No resurrections this time


    No resurrections this time

    Posted: 25 Nov 2019 03:36 PM PST

    Stolen't

    Posted: 25 Nov 2019 08:02 AM PST

    Hmm...

    Posted: 25 Nov 2019 05:50 PM PST

    It's been a long road...

    Posted: 25 Nov 2019 02:43 PM PST

    Baby Yoda Tax Season Meme

    Posted: 25 Nov 2019 09:28 AM PST

    PIP coming?

    Posted: 25 Nov 2019 10:47 AM PST

    So I was pissing and the partner from my engagement team happens to come in. He goes to the urinal besides me and my piss stream is far superior than his. I'm worried he might see me as a threat and I get placed on a PIP. What do you guys think ? Idk if this makes a difference but this is at a big 4

    submitted by /u/bmw0011
    [link] [comments]

    Done with Big 4, feels good

    Posted: 25 Nov 2019 12:42 PM PST

    There is no point to this post, but I'm officially done. Feels amazing man...

    I never thought I'd hate anything more than I hated Iraq, but public accounting pulled it off.

    submitted by /u/Ghost_Ticking
    [link] [comments]

    2017 tax statistics

    Posted: 25 Nov 2019 07:13 AM PST

    Me leaving for the land of milk and honey, and my manager asking me to work busy season hours for the next two weeks.

    Posted: 25 Nov 2019 09:04 AM PST

    Join the resistance. Save the environment.

    Posted: 25 Nov 2019 08:09 PM PST

    Special Agent for IRS CI posted today.

    Posted: 25 Nov 2019 12:05 PM PST

    Hey guys,

    Just want to let all of you guys know that the Special Agent job for IRS CI just posted.

    https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/552620000

    Like the revenue agent jobs posted last year, if you don't apply immediately it might be another decade before these jobs open up again, and unlike the RA positions, you need to 37 or younger by the time you are hired unless you have previous federal law enforcement experience.

    I'm not applying since my eyesight is terrible but since I always look at USAJobs, figured I give /r/accounting a heads up.

    submitted by /u/beefcake_123
    [link] [comments]

    Obvious tax notices

    Posted: 25 Nov 2019 06:51 AM PST

    I gotta love when a client sends me a tax notice and says what do I do with this. Umm, did you pay when you filed?

    submitted by /u/Mike20878
    [link] [comments]

    Accountants in Ontario, Canada - do you regret your career choice?

    Posted: 25 Nov 2019 09:43 PM PST

    I'm in my first year at a decent business school, and have suddenly realized I'm not hot-shit investment banking material. I'm unsure if I can maintain my grades in the 90's and prepare excellent stock pitches, but I'm confident I can still ace all my courses and build some extracurriculars. Starting to think about what other options I have, and accounting has always seemed like a good fit for my anal personality.

    I've mainly been turned off from the industry because 1) the two accountants I've spoken to hated their jobs, both saying their life was great before big public firms came and bought the companies they worked for 2) I see people able to finish undergrad and start making $30+ per hour in finance, and starting accounting salaries seem a bit less attractive. What does it take to make six figures in accounting? Will I take a significant pay cut if I want to work (and live) in downtown Toronto?

    I've heard a few times that accountants can switch into finance (and not the other way around) but is this realistic if I want to work in something like asset management or private equity?

    Any input for a lost first-year student would be awesome. I apologize, I did search before posting and got some questions answered - I'm still unsure of some things. A lot of vagueness in how salary progression really is, and honestly, I'd love some truthful input from other accountants working in my area. Thank you.

    submitted by /u/throwitawayhoneybun
    [link] [comments]

    Be real with me here...

    Posted: 25 Nov 2019 09:01 PM PST

    I used to love accounting in my first two years of college. I'm starting to see a trend with my motivation, especially during the end of the semesters. I have been doing my homework with Chegg (friend's account) and Course Hero (just using incognito for unlimited views). I feel so bad for doing it because I know that I shouldn't be doing it. That being said, how many of you used Chegg or similar websites to get through? Intermediate II was killing me, but I do understand it after I see the solutions. I guess I'm looking for assurance that it'll all be good after graduation?

    Either way, I feel like crap for doing it, but I know that I learn better hammering out problems with feedback. Let me know your experiences please!

    Thanks! (:

    submitted by /u/ChiefofCheeks
    [link] [comments]

    AMA: I'm a CPA working in a Big 4 indirect tax technology and automation group. Ask me about the bots how I got here!

    Posted: 25 Nov 2019 10:50 AM PST

    I'm a CPA doing non-CPA things at a Big 4 firm.

    There's a lot of buzz and chatter about technology and automation. As someone who works with this day and and day out, I wanted to answer any questions you all might have about.

    Some background on how I got here.

    I got my bachelor's and masters in accounting. I went through the traditional recruiting process as well. I did an internship in the tax technology group I'm currently in and haven't looked back. It's not your traditional compliance tax group. There's no busy season, it's consulting based so there's a lot of face time with clients you don't typically see in other tax groups. The work is interesting (to me, at least) because of how we're leveraging existing and developing tech into tax functions.

    Cool tech we're working with:

    • Process automations
    • Robotic Desktop/Process Automation (RDA/RPA)
    • Machine learning
    • Geospatial
    • Artificial intelligence
    • Blockchain

    I've been doing this for a little over three years now, so let me know what you want to know!

    submitted by /u/WhoseHouse_
    [link] [comments]

    How hard is the learning curve from senior accountant to controller?

    Posted: 25 Nov 2019 07:31 AM PST

    I would like to apply for controller jobs. I have worked as both a senior accountant in public and private. I don't have any budgeting and forecasting experience.

    Is this a problem that would keep me from getting jobs as a controller. And if I was hired, would I be over my head because I haven't done these things before?

    submitted by /u/LilLambLost
    [link] [comments]

    Switching Departments: Financial Analyst —> Senior Financial Analyst

    Posted: 25 Nov 2019 07:50 PM PST

    Background: I've been at a F500 for just about 18 months now and I am getting restless with my current title and salary. Prior to this position, I was an Auditor at a top 10 Accounting Firm for 3 years and after that spent ~1 year in an FP&A role at a mid sized PE owned Company. I am a CPA. I live in the Midwest in a low/medium COL area and make $74K/year.

    When I accepted this position I was told after a year I would most likely get promoted to Senior Financial Analyst within my department. My department is made up of 4 Financial Analysts (including myself) and 2 Senior Financial Analysts. There is no difference between the complexity/workload between these two titles. In various meetings with my Manager and Director I've gotten great reviews (along with an unexpected $2K performance bonus) but they say HR is not authorizing any promotions within our department and I'd have to switch to another business line if I wanted to see a promotion within the next year. That was tough to hear since I like my department and am gaining valuable experience (M&A work, budget and forecasting template build-out) that will really benefit when I'm in higher level positions someday.

    Today I met with the Director of this different business line and he said they're looking to backfill a Senior Financial Analyst position ASAP and all but offered me the position if I was serious. I asked about salary and he said they were targeting $85K. Obviously this is a step up for me and was very appealing. My end goal is to be a Finance Director in the next 10-15 years so I feel a title change is needed if I eventually want to switch Companies and have any shot at a Management type role.

    Any advice is appreciated.

    submitted by /u/mkrit38000
    [link] [comments]

    I work in accounting at a bank and LOVE my job and my bosses so I decided to get my degree in accounting, but you guys are scaring me.

    Posted: 25 Nov 2019 12:25 PM PST

    (Mostly joking guys)

    submitted by /u/MrsTaylor101318
    [link] [comments]

    Career advice. B4 MGR to FPA director?

    Posted: 25 Nov 2019 06:48 PM PST

    Hi,

    Throw away account to prevent the unintentional doxxing myself.

    I'm a new B4 audit manager in high COL, high rated.

    I got offered an Finance director role from a CFO at a client. The old one went to be a cfo elsewhere. I was shocked by it since I don't have the background straight from public but the cfo thinks I'm smart and working together over the last year he's basically looking for the right person more than anything else.

    Questions for anyone ;

    1. If I want to be a CFO one day, do you think this would be a good jump?

    2. The old guy went to be a cfo somewhere else but had much more experience.

    3. I'm not crazy about the company. They're a little bland but chuggging along. Not super profitable but not in loss positions.

    4. Any thoughts on questions to ask to make sure I have the right skill set and experience opportunities before diving in?

    I'll talk to him again on Wednesday.

    It sounds very exciting but I'm somewhat comfortable.

    Compensation would likely go from 110+big one time bonuses of 30k to a base of 150-160 plus performance bonuses.

    Am I crazy to stay? It seems like this is a bit of a golden op to get into pretty good management direct cfo report role and put out or closing the books at the same time.

    I have had some partner aspirations but it's like... 10 years away and I'm not sure I like what I've seen. I think I thought the partners had more power before I was in management and notice they just have to push out what the leadership of the firm pushes out.

    submitted by /u/throwawayacct231
    [link] [comments]

    Industry accounting

    Posted: 25 Nov 2019 06:40 PM PST

    For those of you who went straight into industry, what has it been like for you? What was your first job out of college and what and how many internships did u have? Was it hard to get ur first job in industry? I feel like I try so hard for an internship but my anxiety gets the best of me in interviews and it's something I'm really trying to work on but it's more of a personal problem lol I just switched to accounting too so I'm trying really hard and I didn't even try for a big4 internship bc of all the horror stories and not feeling qualified, I feel like industry would suit me better but I'm worried about the future career path that comes with no public experience

    submitted by /u/fmlfishman
    [link] [comments]

    Bombed Mock #1/2 on Becker. Can I still pass?

    Posted: 25 Nov 2019 03:29 PM PST

    Last week I took Mock #1 on Becker and got a 35%.. after going over it I realized I made super dumb mistakes and there was a lot I didn't remember. I decided to go through the book and add notes to each of the unit outlines (For F1-F7). It cleared up a lot of information for me and as I took the personalized MCQ tests, I saw myself doing better and better.. or so i thought lol. Took Mock #2 today and I got a 39%... my scores on the sims went up by a lot, but I bombed the MCQ even worse than the first time.

    I test on Dec 4th. Do you all recommend NINJA MCQ? Is it possible for me to still pass? If so, how would you go about these next 8 days of studying if you were me

    Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/212lifestyle
    [link] [comments]

    Calculating ending inventory using periodic inventory system and COGS

    Posted: 25 Nov 2019 09:25 PM PST

    Should I study for BEC in last semester?

    Posted: 25 Nov 2019 09:22 PM PST

    I'll be graduating this December . I wanted to see if it were a good idea to start studying bec now? I'm taking Cost Accounting and Advanced Accounting (consolidation) . my Becker is unlimited and I don't start full time until next fall.

    submitted by /u/succnotswallow
    [link] [comments]

    What's your favourite tax?

    Posted: 25 Nov 2019 08:50 AM PST

    Gotta be VAT for me, I love the randomness and intricacies of sales taxes.

    submitted by /u/LoyalFridge
    [link] [comments]

    What is the best power move you've pulled?

    Posted: 25 Nov 2019 08:30 PM PST

    I love these. Let me know.

    submitted by /u/LadyoftheLedgers
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment