• Breaking News

    Sunday, October 20, 2019

    What happens if bodily injury claims (auto accident) exceed the total insurance coverage of the at fault driver? Insurance

    What happens if bodily injury claims (auto accident) exceed the total insurance coverage of the at fault driver? Insurance


    What happens if bodily injury claims (auto accident) exceed the total insurance coverage of the at fault driver?

    Posted: 19 Oct 2019 06:50 PM PDT

    Good evening,

    My adult sister (in her late 30s) who has/had full coverage insurance through Progressive, in Texas, was involved in an accident about 9 mos ago (rear fender bender, she was in hatchback the driver she rear ended was in a Porsche SUV.

    This was in Houston, TX.

    No airbags went off, the other driver drove home, and she came home too, but her car had to be towed as the front end was damaged (it was a 2006 car, accident was in 2019).

    Today she received a letter from the Claims department of Progressive stating that the total value of the claim may exceed her insurance coverage - this is for bodily injury, as the property damage claim is closed. She had 30/60k coverage, there was only one passenger in the other car and no other car/property/person was involved.

    The other passenger was in his mid 30s and I believe he even told the officer that he was not injured, I understand that any injury can occur after the fact. I think it is some sort of neck sprain, but I will get more details next week.

    The letter states that the injured driver may file a lawsuit, and that progressive will provide her with a lawyer, or she can hire her own at her own expense.

    The letter also states that at this time they do not know if a lawsuit will be filed or the total value of the claim.

    My question is, if a lawsuit is filed, do you recommend using the lawyer retained by progressive? What incentive do they have to keep the total claim low if it exceeds the insurance coverage amount?

    Also, does anyone know if a judgement can garnish her wages, take away her homestead etc.

    Any advice on how to deal with this is welcome, no lawsuit has been filed yet.

    Thank you very much

    submitted by /u/thethreeyedraven
    [link] [comments]

    Illegal???

    Posted: 19 Oct 2019 09:04 PM PDT

    Question for all you insurance people out there. A few months back, I had taken in a girl to give her a place to live. She was just 18. After she got her license she bought her own car. Apparently she did not purchase insurance. About two weeks before she moved out, she got stopped. She gave my address as her place of residence. That was May 23. She moved out in June. Yesterday I received a bill from my insurance company for an additional premium. Without any verification or notice to me, my company added her as a driver on my policy. How is this legal??

    submitted by /u/808lnds
    [link] [comments]

    How do I notify insurance company that I wpn't made whole so there is nothing to subrogate against?

    Posted: 19 Oct 2019 03:48 PM PDT

    I am in a state that had a made whole doctrine in respect to med pay subrogation. The law here states that I only have to pay med pay back if "my remaining economic and noneconomic damages have been compensated". My medpay claim is closing but I am still dealing with pain and injuries from the accident. I will have ongoing issues for a very long time. My medical bills total is already over $40,000 (20,000 paid out by my medpay) and the girl that hit me only has $25,000 in coverage. I got a letter from insurance today talking about protecting their interest... I do not have an attorney. The one attorney I talked to said since it was soft tissue/nerve damage with a limit of $25,000 with a 21 year old that isn't from this country at fault, he didn't want to touch it.

    Any advice? I am not trying to get double payment. There is no way I am walking (hobbling at this point) out of this accident in the black. So, where do I go from here?

    submitted by /u/reluctantly_me
    [link] [comments]

    Car accident

    Posted: 19 Oct 2019 09:31 PM PDT

    So not really sure if this is a stupid question or not but, here's the story. (1st ever car accident)

    I got into an accident a couple of weeks ago (Colorado), I got rear ended and pushed into the car in front of me. Guy behind me got a ticket and is considered at fault.

    Because of this my car was a total loss and I have already gotten a settlement from USAA.

    What should I expect from State Farm ( Guy who rear ended me insurance)? They have asked for my hospital bill and a recorded statement and nothing else. (I'm military so everything is covered under Tricare so I'm not sure of there's a bill to begin with)

    Would I get any money from a settlement from State farm?

    submitted by /u/simple332
    [link] [comments]

    Skateboarder ran into parked car, what would happen next?

    Posted: 19 Oct 2019 09:17 PM PDT

    Friend was woken up middle of the night yesterday by his town cops saying his car was hit. Turns out a teenager (younger than 18) was coming down the hill, came fast down the hill and couldn't make the turn well enough, slammed into my friends car and knocked himself out. Damage to the bumper and mirror of the car. Cops gave him the information for the case file.

    Question is, since it is not an automotive accident, will he have to take the kid or his parents to small claims court for the damage or will our insurance do that? State: NJ

    submitted by /u/OVOYorge
    [link] [comments]

    work for a transportation company, new driver had a car accident but boss did not place him on insurance policy yet

    Posted: 20 Oct 2019 12:15 AM PDT

    hello Insurance subbies

    i work for a transportation company and kinda curious how this will play out.

    we had a new driver that had only been with the company for a couple days cause an accident involving with other cars. no one was injured but the boss had not placed him on the insurance policy yet.

    what are some likely results of this? could the insurance company deny the claim for the other parties? deny coverage for our vehicle? leave my boss getting sued? Texas is the state i am in, dont know of the insurance company.

    thanks for entertaining my curiosity

    submitted by /u/thenobody8666
    [link] [comments]

    Refinance Flood insurance requirements

    Posted: 19 Oct 2019 10:04 PM PDT

    I have owned my property for 1 year and a half and have paid off flood insurance already (for a full year till mid 2020).

    I'm doing a refinance with quicken loans and they sent me

    NOTICE OF SPECIAL FLOOD HAZARDS

    Where I have to furnish at my expense a copy of application for flood insurance and receipt of premium paid satisfying lenders requirements

    Since I ALREADY HAVE NFIP Flood insurance I can't apply for another one correct?

    Also they state that quicken loans can ask for escrow for flood insurance.

    I already paid for this years flood insurance and DONT WANT to Escrow this!

    Any advice on the situation?

    submitted by /u/bluebawles
    [link] [comments]

    International Student applying for Property&Casualty insurance license in Texas

    Posted: 19 Oct 2019 08:44 PM PDT

    Hi guys,

    Hope you have a wonderful week.

    I just wondered if I, an international student, can apply for a P&C license?

    Thank you

    submitted by /u/YoungBuffalo2104
    [link] [comments]

    Misdiagnosis and a medical bill

    Posted: 19 Oct 2019 07:51 PM PDT

    First of all, I know that many people will think that my case this a not big deal ($215 bill), because it could be worse, etc. For me, it is a big expense considering other medical bills and the fact that I was growing up in the country where the insurance= full coverage.

    I've had a spine issue since I was a child. I was treated, had many medical exams. The last radiologic exam was 2 years ago and showed a few issues with my spine. Pilates exercises really helped me with the pain. After I moved to the US I was only doing exercises only from time to time.

    One day after free outdoor yoga classes I couldn't stand up from the bed. I thought this was only a sore muscle due to a break in exercises. Unfortunately, the pain wasn't gone for 2 weeks and I decided to visit the chiropractor for the first time in my life. He helped me and listed almost all diagnoses that I was sure about before. He was able to tell me what's wrong under his fingers. In addition to confirm his diagnosis, he directed me to the Radiology center. People working in chiropractic register convinced me to talking in Radiologic center that my pain is unbearable, otherwise, their exam may be not covered by the insurance. I have UnitedHealthCare insurance and the Radiology center, which I visited, is in-network. Before the examination, I wanted to make sure that it will be covered by the insurance. I gave them my card and they convinced me to do not worry because it will be covered. I didn't lie about my pain because it was real.

    I've just received a bill: Insurance will cover only $ 30, my balance is $215. So I pay monthly for UnitedHealthcare insurance and their coverage is even less than a half? Is this is normal? I know I have to call them but first I wanted to get some advice here.

    The second thing is I got an incorrect and not full diagnosis regarding my health. In the exam description, it is written that I almost don't have problems. I know what is true and my pain is real. The previous radiologic exam from my country showed a number of diagnoses and I'm able to prove it because I've got those reports. The chiropractor was able to confirm my issues just under his fingers, but the expensive and professional medical equipment wasn't able to do that... What should I think? Isn't that ridiculous?

    So I feel like I've been charged for the examination just because, in their opinion, I don't have severe issues. I started to read more about this and discover that misdiagnosis is a fraud. I don't want to pay this bill I feel I've been cheated. What to do?

    submitted by /u/gumis456
    [link] [comments]

    Alberta Canada. Auto. Will a secondary/occasional driver of my policy build up "continuous insurance" if they don't have a policy at their own name?

    Posted: 19 Oct 2019 05:19 PM PDT

    New home - how to pass inspection

    Posted: 19 Oct 2019 04:39 PM PDT

    I am buying a new home and will be closing in about a month. I have been going around getting quotes but I worry they will all cancel my policy.

    The house got a person inspection we paid for and it was perfect in all ways but electrical. The owners swapped 2 prong outlets for 3 prong without actually grounding them.

    My fiance and I are fully prepared to pay the 6 thousand dollars for an electrician to fix this issue. In the current state, it's a safety hazard.

    How do i get insurance now for the bank to write the mortgage, if the house is not safe at the moment and the sellers don't want to fix it. (Even after I pay 6k, this is still a great deal)

    submitted by /u/jonnyk999
    [link] [comments]

    What happens when someone rummages through your car and you have some cash (<100) and an uncashed lottery scratch off ticket ($500).

    Posted: 19 Oct 2019 03:28 PM PDT

    Yeah, so I have a scratch off habit. And sometimes I win and don't cash in the ticket til the next day. But last night my car was broken into by lowlifes just rummaging through cars. No windows were broken, so I guess it was left unlocked...long story involving teens and late night football games and such.

    Will insurance cover the cost lost cash an unclaimed scratch off? What's the deal in these situations? Are there limits or just loss?

    submitted by /u/runlola
    [link] [comments]

    First time home buyer question on flood insurance

    Posted: 19 Oct 2019 02:18 PM PDT

    The house I'm looking at is in an AE zone about 15ft from an X zone in eastern NC. About how much per month would I be looking at for flood insurance?

    submitted by /u/RedRaider53
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment