• Breaking News

    Wednesday, October 9, 2019

    Supreme Court allows blind people to sue retailers if their websites are not accessible small business

    Supreme Court allows blind people to sue retailers if their websites are not accessible small business


    Supreme Court allows blind people to sue retailers if their websites are not accessible

    Posted: 08 Oct 2019 05:11 PM PDT

    [HELP] What can we do with a homeless problem around our store? Fecal matter, theft, vandalism, etc.

    Posted: 08 Oct 2019 04:00 PM PDT

    Hello!

    We own a business in California (yikes, i know) and we have a massive homeless problem around our store and we just don't know what to do at this point.

    Just a little bit of what we're dealing with:

    1. They constantly puncture holes in the gas tank of our delivery truck, siphon gas, etc, it got to the point that the truck is unusable now and is collecting rust in the back lot.

    2. There is a literal tent city behind our store with probably a dozen homeless people living there, constantly fighting, screaming, smoking various drugs, pooping all over, etc.

    3. One homeless man died of an overdose right behind our store.

    4. We've had homeless throw rocks through our windows in what I'm guessing was a drug-fueled rage (by the looks of the cameras), costing us several thousand dollars to replace.

    5. I've seen one homeless man beat his dog savagely in the back.

    6. Just today we had a homeless woman basically run through the door and straight to the bathroom, was in there for 10-15 minutes before we banged on the door and asked if she's okay?

    She say's "I'm fine, I just started my period! and I'm washing off my shorts."

    Oh, great. Washing your period blood all in our sink and probably stuffing the backpack she had on with whatever we have in the bathroom.

    We are getting fed up at this point, it's unlikely we can afford to hire a security guard to patrol the parking lot when we close.

    What can we do?

    submitted by /u/PopeVsJesus
    [link] [comments]

    Buying a company car.

    Posted: 08 Oct 2019 08:24 AM PDT

    I have my own business registered EIN, ext. We need a 2nd car, so I can continue with opening a psychical store front, deal with suppliers everything a car is needed for. What all deductions do I qualify for? I plan on buying a Tesla Roadster for 56k or a New model 3 for 40k. Original roadster has been a car I wanted when they first came out but I was only a Teenager atm and couldn't afford it.

    submitted by /u/Sex_Shop_Guy
    [link] [comments]

    How is Concept Test beneficial to your brand/business?

    Posted: 09 Oct 2019 03:24 AM PDT

    Copywriter Steve Bautista wrote: "When people talk to themselves, its called insanity. When companies talk to themselves, it's called marketing." How can you make sure your company isn't talking to itself? By closing the feedback loop-- preferably before you take your concept to market.

    A simple concept test can help you develop names, symbols, icons, taglines, and brand promises by addressing two issues:

    1. Getting the right idea
    2. Getting the idea right

    To test a concept, create a range of prototypes of the brand element in question. You can start with as many as seven concepts, but the most thoughtful responses will come when you get it down to two or three.

    Next, present the prototypes to at least 10 members of the real audience (not company insiders), one person at a time (not as a group). Then ask a series of questions like the ones below. Notice that nowhere in the questions will you find "Which one do you like?" It's not about liking. It's about understanding.

    A brand promise, for example, might be illuminated by questions like these:

    • Which of these promises is most valuable to you?
    • Which company would you expect to make a promise like this?
    • If company X made this promise, would that make sense?
    • What other types of promise would you expect from company X?
    • Always follow up with "Why?" because the answer to "why" will contain the seed of the next question.

    You might test a brand icon with a slightly different set of questions:

    • Which of these icons catches your eyes first?
    • What made you notice it?
    • Does it remind you of any other icons you've seen? What do you think this particular icon means?
    • If its really supposed to mean X, do you think one of these other choices expresses it better? And so on.

    If you are an entrepreneur, these are the questions you should ask yourself before starting a business.

    In case, you have your branding partners or a branding team, these are the list of questions you should ask your branding partners.

    As mentioned above, there are two issues through which a concept test allows you to create symbols, names, icons, tagline. We would talk about those two issues in the next post.

    submitted by /u/Slangbusters_studio
    [link] [comments]

    Nearly 5 years registering LLC, I am finally making money. How should I be filing my taxes on it?

    Posted: 08 Oct 2019 04:50 PM PDT

    I registered a company in 2014 after graduating College. Despite having a Biochemistry degree I was planning to become a software engineering consultant and gain experience by just teaching myself and taking small jobs people would be willing to give me. As it worked out I had a nack for programming and was hired by fall after graduating in spring.

    Fast forward 5 years and I've worked as a software engineer for numerous companies but never did anything with my LLC. I kept renewing it each year thinking it would be useful one day.

    This year I started taking software contracts, vetting and hiring contracters, and managing the account. I've been doing this along with my main W2 Job since July this year.

    I decided to not pay myself from this business and use profits for buying supplies, computers, testing equipment, funding business trips, and expanding into adjacent fields.

    I've been documenting everything with QuickBooks and keeping receipts and all that. I naively thought that everything would be assessed at the end of the year like a regular tax report, but after talking to others and reading a few posts here... I realize I might be in trouble from a tax standpoint.

    I have a few situations I would like to understand.

    1. Though I registered my LLC in Minnesota... I've been living in California for the past year. I am still a Minnesota resident but I am doing the work in Cali. My client is in North Carolina. Which state gets my taxes?

    2. Since I never made any money or did anything with my LLC I never filed taxes before... Am I going to be penalized even though I never did business or made any money?

    3. Was I supposed to be filling taxes every quarter or is this only if I want to be taxed as an S or C Corp?

    4. I haven't been paying myself for the work... My role has been mainly as a manager. I find clients and contractors to do the work. I want to spend all the revenue this year building the business, will I be allowed to do this or will I be forced to pay myself? If so, how would I go by finding out how much I should pay myself.

    5. I expect to have a revenue of something like 80k USD by the end of the year. Most of this will be taken my the contractors. I don't really expect to have a profit... Especially if I have to pay myself. Would it more simple and money saving to just be taxed as a sole proprietor?

    6. From this description do I really need a CPA? I feel like my tax situation isn't so difficult that I should need a professional...

    submitted by /u/kevinwlfgng
    [link] [comments]

    Advice for self-employed overseas US citizen

    Posted: 09 Oct 2019 01:29 AM PDT

    I am a US citizen but live overseas. My business is private client software development (e.g. web sites, web applications, etc.):

    1. For the purposes of establishing an LLC which state should I use? I don't have a permanent residence in any state but there are several states I visit often because I have family and friends there. Delaware seems like a good choice, but are there better choices?
    2. Are there better alternatives than using LegalZoom to file my paperwork?

    I think my situation is pretty common; if you have experience as a US citizen, being self-employed and working overseas I'd love to hear what your business setup is like and why you chose it. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/australianmullet
    [link] [comments]

    Liability insurance claims

    Posted: 08 Oct 2019 11:36 PM PDT

    My business is in a riskier industry so my insurance is my second biggest expense of my business. The rates I pay are in line with the industry. My question is, how much would I expect my insurance to increase if there was ever a claim against the business. Luckily we have never had a claim happen in all of our history, but as our insurance keeps increasing (40% this year) I want to make sure a claim isn't going to harm cash flow. I know people who have been in auto accidents who have seen their insurance double in price, I am curious if the same holds true for general liability insurance.

    submitted by /u/StricklerHess
    [link] [comments]

    Which design is the best? I am building an app on air quality. Would really appreciate any constructive feedback on design

    Posted: 08 Oct 2019 11:31 PM PDT

    Consulting Firm Partnership Agreement Advice

    Posted: 08 Oct 2019 10:21 PM PDT

    I (35 y/o, Individual C) live in State B and two of my friends (Individuals A & B) live in State A. They own a now 5-year-old consulting firm (Firm A) in State A. About 3 years ago, when things were starting to pick up for them, I had a successful job that I enjoyed in my home state (B) doing consulting work for a larger firm when they pitched the following to me:

    • "Leave your current job in State B and come work for us at Firm A and help us grow a new department at Firm A. (I would be working remotely from my home State and the new department focus was very similar to my specialty, but not quite exactly my specialty.)
    • "Once Firm A and the new department is running efficiently and profitable, we want to help you start your own firm (Firm B) in State B, where you will be majority owner. We will essentially fund any startup expenses and provide you with guidance on how to grow Firm A into a successful business." (Note: They needed to hire someone, because they had already started this new department/sector themselves and it was growing very rapidly.)
    • "Both firms/LLC's will share the same trade name, but will be completely separate entities on paper. This will allow us to share some of the overhead costs (marketing, accounting, attorneys, etc) and keep our costs down."

    Long story short, I took the offer. As we didn't want to get ahead of ourselves, I only ensured that me being majority owner of Firm B was inked in my offer letter. Fast forward to today (3 years later), the department is running efficiently, I have continued to deliver to our clients in this sector, and our workload/backlog is very healthy.

    Overview:

    • Both Firm A & B are/will be exclusively consulting firms
    • Existing Firm A – located in State A
    • Proposed Firm B – located in State B
    • Physical travel time from Firm A to Firm B is only about an hour (opposite sides of a shared state line)

    Existing Firm A in State A:

    • Approximately $3M annual revenue
    • Individual A (51%, president, owner – lives in State A)
    • Individual B (49%, vice-president, owner – resident of State A)
    • Individual C [Me] (0%, currently employee only, resident of State B, works remotely)

    Proposed Firm B in State B:

    • Individual C [Me] (51% minimum equity, president, run all day-to-day operations)
    • Individual A (?%, minor partner, main business adviser / occasional technical adviser)
    • Individual B (?%, minor partner, occasional technical adviser)

    My thoughts:

    • My firm (B) will essentially be a start up, using their money and minimal business/technical guidance as my springboard. Because this is a consulting firm, my overhead as an individual and as a business will be extremely low (laptop, insurance, BD expenses, etc.).
    • As their investment in me, I'm proposing that they sub-contract my Firm B some of the recurring contracts that I am doing for them as an employee at Firm A. This way, Firm B can get some money coming in the door and I can pay myself and start learning the books. It would only be enough contracts to cover my salary, health/401k benefits, and BD expenses required to keep myself afloat as an individual and get Firm B off of the ground in the first year. I'm estimating that about ~$150k worth of contracts would do it...my department at Firm A does about $400k/year in contracts between me and one other person.
    • This investment in my would keep me busy about 4/5th's of the year (1600 hrs) - I would use the remaining 1/4th of the year (400 hours) to pound the pavement and drum up business for Firm B . This ratio would be adjusted as necessary if the 400 hours proved to be too much or not enough

    Currently, we are negotiating the operating agreement for our partnership (Firm B only). My questions (assuming neither firms fail and my firm hits/levels out at $3M/year revenue in 5 years w/a 15% profit margin) are as follows:

    • Does this structure sound feasible/reasonable? What tweaks or alternatives would you recommend making?
    • What equity breakdown for Firm B would make sense for everyone involved?
    • What levers/goals could I propose be put into the agreement so that as I grow Firm B, that I am rewarded for my hard work down the line? Essentially I want to avoid giving up a large percentage of my business down the line when it grows and want to have triggers in place that will reward my success. All that I can think of is setting individual Firm B sales targets for work that I acquire over set periods of times (i.e. my Firm B hitting certain sales goals rewards me with equity up to a certain point. At $X annual revenue, their revenue bottoms out at X% and stays there forever). THIS IS THE QUESTION I AM MOST INTERESTED IN AND FEEL IS THE MOST IMPORTANT!
    • Would asking for a small amount of equity in Firm A considering the role I played in helping grow one of its departments/sectors be out of the question? I wasn't there from the very beginning but I was their 2nd hire.
    • What other advice (specific to this situation or in general) would you give someone in my shoes that has little to no business experience? I know that I have the technical ability, street smarts, soft skills and drive required to learn how to run a business - i just don't have the experience yet.

    Anyways, thanks for reading and sorry for any typos/bad grammar. I look forward to any advice that you guys might have for me and best of luck to you all down the road!

    submitted by /u/bardownski12
    [link] [comments]

    [Offer] Website creation for Entrepreneurs

    Posted: 08 Oct 2019 06:04 PM PDT

    Hello Everyone,

    I am a student, and I have been working with a lot of people from various subreddits (a lot of them from this specific subreddit) to build up a solid portfolio with websites built in most niches. I am currently working on the last few websites in the pipeline and thought of posting back again to find more work.

    I prefer working with continuous feedback back and forth and building up any website exactly how a website-owner envisions it.

    I wanted to work for free. But the awesome people of this subreddit offered me money for the work that I do for them. Due to that, I am currently involved in two types of work:

    1. Users who have offered to pay for my work. To all those users, thank you. You have no idea how much difference that makes. I am trying to build them the best possible websites, with premium themes and fully premium plugins. A few of them were afraid of sharing login details, because of course I am a stranger on the internet. If you want their user id's, I would be happy to share that via PM. Or show you the websites I am building for them.
    2. Users for whom I am working absolutely free. No questions asked. They clearly mentioned they don't have a budget and would like my help, and I am trying to help them out. All I had asked them for was maybe some good feedback once I build up my portfolio. There is no ulterior motive here. Just plain and simple people helping each other out.

    I also try to do imbue the website I build with the specific niche-based keywords which helps in getting better website rankings as well optimized page load speeds for the website.

    If you want to have a look at my portfolio, please don't hesitate to drop a PM. I am sure I can work within your budget to build you a website you want.

    So if you always wanted to build a website but didn't want to pay a web designer a ton and end up with a website that isn't what you sought, drop me a PM. It is indeed a win-win!

    submitted by /u/wowthatisrandom
    [link] [comments]

    Lead Generation

    Posted: 08 Oct 2019 09:09 PM PDT

    Hi, I've been dabbling with some lead generation service. I've gotten a few clients mostly digital agencies trying to find small businesses. What other clientele can I market lead generation services to? Thanks

    submitted by /u/awaken470
    [link] [comments]

    Productizing a service - how to? resources?

    Posted: 08 Oct 2019 12:09 PM PDT

    Hi everyone.

    My business is akin to a consulting service. The services revolve around two sides to the same coin. Side one is the management of design software (tech support, implementation, training, customization/automation). Side two is product design using said software. I don't create the software. Instead, I'm basically a value-added reseller... who doesn't resell. This puts me in a decidedly gray area with regards to their official sales channel.

    One of the execs of the software I use/represent asked me recently if I had a standardized product version of my services for a niche title in their portfolio. For example, the customer would buy the canned set of services for a set fee (plus travel/incidentals) and then in return get a customized report/sample dataset that shows how that customer could leverage the software. The intent here is that the product could be passed along to the official sales channel to direct people my way while also providing a service that the reseller (and their customers) need but can't currently get (I'm considered the external expert on the software in question).

    Does anyone have any resources or thoughts on productizing a set of services like this? I get that a lot of service businesses do this (e.g. wash, wax, and detail packages), but we're essentially talking about canned consulting. It's not something I'm used to and my mindset isn't in that vein. I'm used to the whole needs assessment, scoping, blah, blah, blah. I need help in figuring out how to put these things in a box. Any ideas?

    submitted by /u/I_Forge_KC
    [link] [comments]

    Cheaper Option than Dropbox?

    Posted: 08 Oct 2019 01:00 PM PDT

    I'm looking for an sftp that is accessible internationally and has a web based front end so that clients can easily understand it. I'm currently using Dropbox but believe that it is too expensive for the services it provides (12.50 a month/ per user). Are there any suggestions with reliability and pricing being key? I would roughly have around 10 users. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/sugapopcatdaddy
    [link] [comments]

    Facility Managers

    Posted: 08 Oct 2019 08:22 PM PDT

    So I have been brainstorming client ideas for my business. I was wondering if there is a list of facilty managers in each city? If so how would someone get access to this list?

    submitted by /u/Wwisdomistruth
    [link] [comments]

    Selling majority of shares of a corporation to allow new ownership without breaking current lease

    Posted: 08 Oct 2019 07:40 PM PDT

    So I have started a new coffeeshop and been open for almost a year and a half, and things have gone pretty good. Great support from the community, good customer base and people love the shop. I was presented with a job offer from a great company that I just can't say no to. I have found someone who wants to take over the coffeeshop but the landlord won't approve the reassignment of my lease to him, even though he has ran a shop before and has more experience than I do. I have structured it as a Canadian corporation and was thinking of selling the majority of shares to him at a price that would cover my initial investment over a term of 12 months. This would allow him to run the shop, have control and avoid my landlord disapproving the reassignment of the lease. I know the risk of keeping my name on the lease but at least this way I recoop some of my investment and the shop stays open while I take this new job. The lease is in my personal name but everything business related is under the corporation. Is this an option? I'm not looking to make money, just looking to cover some of my startup expenses and keep the shop open.

    submitted by /u/lebongjames29
    [link] [comments]

    quick little survey for my startup business, would appreciate the help!

    Posted: 08 Oct 2019 07:27 PM PDT

    https://www.reddit.com/r/recipes/wiki/index#wiki_how_to_format_a_recipe_post). 
    submitted by /u/Techstarter97
    [link] [comments]

    Client Stating I Threatened Him When Asking To Be Paid

    Posted: 08 Oct 2019 07:16 PM PDT

    Hey Guys,

    Created a throwaway account for this for obvious reasons.

    So, I run a digital marketing/SEO agency and I've had this client for almost exactly a year now, he was actually one of my second or third ever clients. I think my client knows that I'm younger than him, less 'business' experienced, etc - so I have always felt like he has belittled me, been intimidating and quite frankly rude.

    So anyway, I sent him an email yesterday following up for a late payment which according to my invoice should have been paid by the 11th September (30 days from invoice date). He has always said that he will pay invoices on the first of every month, so we are now at the 9th October, so over a week late (in his eyes). Therefore, yesterday I sent him this email:-

    "Hi XXX,

    I hope you are well.

    Please find attached 2 overdue invoices #XXX & #XXX both invoiced in August 2019. Please can you ensure that these invoices are paid ASAP.
    I am sure that this has just been an oversight and look forward to receiving payment of the overdue invoices.
    Please note that if payment is not received within the next 7 days then, unfortunately, all work will have to cease on your account.
    Many thanks
    XXX"

    He then replied with this:-

    "Hi XXX

    I am on leave at the moment as is my partner XXX who does our accounts.

    I appreciate this may be overdue and it will be settled with our next payment run.

    I am happy to terminate our agreement if you would prefer that as I don't take kindly to being threatened!. Please advise how you wish to proceed with this? "

    His last line really grated on me - as he always pays late and I don't think I even threatened him...

    I am now at the point where I want to get the money that I am owed and then stop working with this guy. None of my other accounts behave this way and cause any stress.

    How would you guys advise to proceed?

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/throw_away_client
    [link] [comments]

    Giving out my bank account # to a potential new supplier of mine, is this safe?

    Posted: 08 Oct 2019 06:50 PM PDT

    It's for a credit application form. They need bank references. I assume this is safe? I mean, they'd have my account # if I ever wrote them a check so I don't see the harm in this?

    submitted by /u/AggressiveDevice8
    [link] [comments]

    What you wish you knew before you started your business?

    Posted: 08 Oct 2019 03:00 PM PDT

    I'm starting a small business/entrepreneur podcast and as the title states, I want to know what you wish you knew before starting your business or wish you were told. Can be anything from something you found out after the fact, roadblocks/challenges you faced, or advice you want to give. I'm trying to write an episode and looking for conversation starters/content! It would be helpful if you shared your industry, how long you've been in business and how many people you employ.

    Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/thecaptainjoe
    [link] [comments]

    Marketing - Not sure what I'm doing

    Posted: 08 Oct 2019 06:38 AM PDT

    I was kind of thrown into being the marketing manager for a very small toy company a few months back. I was also managing the customer service for the company, so the marketing had to kind of take a back seat. I just continued to replicate what previous employees did, but I always acknowledged that it wasn't the most quality work. I went to school for English, not Marketing, so I have no idea where to start with all of this stuff.

    We are relatively active on social media and usually have a newsletter sent out every Friday. But aside from that, I'm not sure where to go or how to help grow the company. We currently have one storefront but will be opening another in the next couple of months, I am also meant to manage the store's marketing even though I actually work in the warehouse so I can't really do ideas that would require being in the physical store.

    Any tips, tricks, or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you all!

    EDIT: We have storefronts, but a majority of our sales are online, mostly through Amazon. Our biggest goal right now is to drive more people to our site directly than sites like Amazon and eBay. Our current budget is $10K but willing to go above that if we feel the benefits outweigh the costs. However long term, 5-10 year goals, would be to continue expanding/opening stores across the country as B&M has been a better experience for us.

    I understand that the question is pretty vague, but no one here really has an idea of where to start. So really, any advice is helpful as I can learn from other peoples comments and adapt that to our business.

    submitted by /u/rlkappa
    [link] [comments]

    When you meet a new client for the first time and you go for lunch or a meal, do you sit across the table from one another or at a 45 degree angle?

    Posted: 08 Oct 2019 06:23 PM PDT

    Probably overanalyzing, but feel most comfortable like in a bar Setting facing the same way or at the 45 degree angle. But is directly across the table best?

    submitted by /u/DrCardioo
    [link] [comments]

    Side-Hustle Finances

    Posted: 08 Oct 2019 05:47 PM PDT

    By day, I am a marketing professional working for a business development organization. By night (and weekends) I do freelance marketing and graphic design work. My client base has actually grown to three clients on retainer, whom I send monthly invoices. All of them pay by check and this system of billing seems to work well.

    How should I be storing this financial information? I keep a spreadsheet of monthly billed amounts, expenses (mostly software), etc., but I am looking for more info on how to best record proof of payment.

    Should I be scanning the check stubs along with the correlating invoice and saving them on my computer? Or would the staple and paper file method work?

    Any advice on this, or any other financial topics I should be mindful of, would be greatly appreciated!

    submitted by /u/ChopNC93
    [link] [comments]

    Help on Financial Section - non-equipment startup costs - of Business Plan?

    Posted: 08 Oct 2019 04:57 PM PDT

    Hello - I am referring to this example business plan, ShellyCakes to have an early learning point. http://www.business.umt.edu/orgs/made/docs/ShellyCakes_BusPlan.pdf

    I am getting stuck in the financial section a little bit. Basically, the business has $62,500 estimated startup costs (and the same amount of financing/investing). Of the $62,500 costs... $15,650 are designated assets (for things like a van, a sign). The remaining is for things like renovations and repairs.

    In the Cash Flow - the $15,650 is accounted for as capital investments. The $15,650 also makes it into the balance sheet as long term assets.

    What I am confused about - where do the rest of the startup costs (non-assets) go? Why aren't they reflected early on in the cash flow statements? How could they be/are they supposed to be reflected in the balance sheet? (It seems like they just keep the cash designated for the non-asset startup costs as available cash.)

    I hope this isn't too detailed of a question. Thanks for sticking with me.

    submitted by /u/buns4buns
    [link] [comments]

    Is there such a thing as unethical profit margin?

    Posted: 08 Oct 2019 04:23 PM PDT

    For some reason I always imagined that profit margins are between 5-30% of the total cost price per unit. As I learned more about the business world I was surprised that places like restaurants are not shy to sell you a $10 steak for $40 or high end jewelry place will easily shave off $10K of the price of an expensive diamond necklace. There is more but you get the idea.

    Is this ethical or socially acceptable? Am I too nice? I can not imagine looking someone in the eye and selling him an item for $1000 when I know I can sell it for $500 and still make a nice profit. Am I too communist?

    submitted by /u/floatontherainbowtw
    [link] [comments]

    What happens when you fail?

    Posted: 08 Oct 2019 08:38 AM PDT

    Let's say you start a business. I assume these are the steps:

    -Get bank loan
    -Lease a space
    -Buy equipment, renovate etc
    -Operate

    So you've been at it for awhile and you're operating at a loss and its time to call it quits. What are the repercussions? What kind of debt are you looking at? I can't imagine pulling out a 150k loan, failing, then having to pay it all back. How can people start up and fail multiple businesses.

    submitted by /u/oktomato2
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment