• Breaking News

    Wednesday, October 16, 2019

    Stocks - r/Stocks Daily Discussion Wednesday - Oct 16, 2019

    Stocks - r/Stocks Daily Discussion Wednesday - Oct 16, 2019


    r/Stocks Daily Discussion Wednesday - Oct 16, 2019

    Posted: 16 Oct 2019 01:07 AM PDT

    These daily discussions run from Monday to Friday including during our themed posts.

    Some helpful links:

    If you have a basic question, for example "what is EPS," then google "investopedia EPS" and click the investopedia article on it; do this for everything until you have a more in depth question or just want to share what you learned.

    Please discuss your portfolios in the Rate My Portfolio sticky..

    See our past daily discussions here. Also links for: Technicals Tuesday, Options Trading Thursday, and Fundamentals Friday.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Netflix soars after beating on earnings, despite miss on subscribers

    Posted: 16 Oct 2019 01:31 PM PDT

    https://www.cnbc.com/2019/10/16/netflix-q3-2019-earnings.html

    Earnings per share: $1.47 vs. $1.04 expected, per Refinitiv estimates

    Revenue: $5.24 billion vs. $5.25 billion expected, per Refintiv

    Domestic paid subscriber additions: 517,000 vs. 802,000 expected, per FactSet estimates

    International paid subscriber additions: 6.26 million vs. 6.05 million expected, per FactSet

    submitted by /u/coolcomfort123
    [link] [comments]

    Bank of America shares rise after lender posts better-than-expected profit on retail operations

    Posted: 16 Oct 2019 07:05 AM PDT

    https://www.cnbc.com/2019/10/16/bac-earnings-q3-2019.html

    The bank says net income rose 4% to $7.5 billion, or an adjusted 75 cents a share, excluding an impairment charge. When including the $2.1 billion charge, net income fell to 56 cents a share, exceeding the 51 cent estimate of analysts surveyed by Refinitiv.

    Three of the bank's four main divisions report gains in revenue, led by its global banking business, which posts an 8% increase to $5.2 billion on higher investment banking fees.

    Shares of the bank rose 3.3%.

    submitted by /u/coolcomfort123
    [link] [comments]

    ELI5: When employees get discounted stock as part of an ESPP (Employee Stock Purchase Plan), where does that stock come from?

    Posted: 16 Oct 2019 02:47 PM PDT

    Does the company generate stocks out of thin air (diluting the value of the rest of the stock)

    Do they pull from a pool of stocks that were created before but not released to the general public (this diluting the other stocks and reducing how much voting control they have at the same time)

    Do they buy from the general market and sell it to us at a discount (could get expensive)

    Edited for formatting and to add this could also to apply to stock options for executives except at a much larger scale

    submitted by /u/b1ackfa1c0n
    [link] [comments]

    Pot Stocks

    Posted: 16 Oct 2019 12:02 PM PDT

    Is there a reason all the marijuana stocks have performed so poorly lately? Are there any worth buying?

    submitted by /u/donkeytoof
    [link] [comments]

    Is the S&P 500 overvalued?

    Posted: 16 Oct 2019 12:48 PM PDT

    I have read Benjamin grant's book the intelligent investor and watched a lot of videos on value investing.

    I have been buying S&P500 since the beginning of a year.

    With time, I have started to understand the principles.

    Using the formula P/E*P/BV < 22.5 on S&P500, the conclusion is clear(yes).

    But is this formula also working on indexes?

    More generally, is the notions of analyses for a stock relevant for an index?

    submitted by /u/2013_motogp
    [link] [comments]

    United Rentals [URI] reports 3rd quarter results: revenues up 17.6%, net income up more than 25%

    Posted: 16 Oct 2019 01:30 PM PDT

    Hostile takeover question?

    Posted: 16 Oct 2019 06:58 PM PDT

    Stock Symbol: TWMC

    After looking at the SEC fillings for TWMC and seeing that the company has a market cap of $5 million. I don't understand why someone wouldn't execute a hostile takeover. Can someone explain to me why this company isn't worth more than $5 million?

    submitted by /u/gmva
    [link] [comments]

    Netflix (NFLX) Earnings Coming Up! Thoughts?

    Posted: 16 Oct 2019 08:22 AM PDT

    Hello all,

    Netflix's earnings come out today after hours. Considering all the hype and hate, what are your thoughts on the stock? Do you think it will beat earnings? Share your thoughts below!

    submitted by /u/ramjaz
    [link] [comments]

    Is there something like the SPXL for stocks?

    Posted: 16 Oct 2019 06:02 PM PDT

    Is there a way to get the x3 effect like on the SPXL in stocks as well? I'm particularly interested in GOOGL or AMZN. Thanks in advance! Also us there a way to partially buy a stock?

    submitted by /u/styrus
    [link] [comments]

    What stocks should I pull out and what stocks should I keep in?

    Posted: 16 Oct 2019 05:53 PM PDT

    Hello all, I'm a beginner and I'm just getting into investing. I am in my early twenties and am learning about the importance of investing early to reap the benefits of compound interest. I am trying to invest in blue chip stocks and ETFs to maximize stability and keep my portfolio mostly stable. However, I DO have a few stocks that are more of a risk. I know to get compound interest you are supposed to just leave your portfolio alone, which I plan to do with my blue chips and ETFs, but, if one stock that I have taken a risk on has done well, and I anticipate it falling in the future, would it be wise to sell it and reinvest the profits in ETFs? Or is it wise to keep ALL of your stocks invested for 10, 20, 50+ years? Technically, I plan to keep about 80% of my portfolio invested for many years, but that riskier 20% I feel that I should pull out once I make a good profit on them. Is this wise?

    submitted by /u/Shockbooms
    [link] [comments]

    NFLX Posts Upbeat Earnings

    Posted: 16 Oct 2019 01:55 PM PDT

    What is the most simple way to understand the volality of a stock?

    Posted: 16 Oct 2019 02:49 PM PDT

    I have done some basic readings and some introductory online courses on options.

    I understand the basics of options, how they work etc, however, I still cannot wrap my head around how volatility works and how people are able to gauge/predict the direction of a stock price based on that.

    What would you recommend is the most important factor to understand how volatility works?

    submitted by /u/learningman33
    [link] [comments]

    Warrants, Units, and Ordinary shares

    Posted: 16 Oct 2019 08:53 AM PDT

    Can someone tell me the difference between warrants, units, and ordinary shares? For example SSPKW, SSPKU, and SSPK.

    submitted by /u/wigglysquiggler
    [link] [comments]

    Watch $AVM - Adding Big-Name Cannabis Leaders to Board

    Posted: 16 Oct 2019 11:48 AM PDT

    Watching $AVM at the moment, have added some of the biggest names in cannabis to their board, including Rana Vig - look what he did with Curaleaf and Harvest Health- $AVM could be transitioning into a cannabis giant.

    submitted by /u/MapleLeafInvestor
    [link] [comments]

    What's safe to put my usd in?

    Posted: 16 Oct 2019 07:22 AM PDT

    I sold all my VTI shares @154 and now I'm wondering what to do with the cash.

    Is there anything safe that I can put it in?

    submitted by /u/Hotwheels265
    [link] [comments]

    Pharm

    Posted: 16 Oct 2019 08:51 AM PDT

    Can anyone name me a few public pharmaceutical companies. Like Teva, Akorn. Not as expensive as Wockhardt ($255) if you happen to know the price range.

    submitted by /u/EdwardTheAlbanian
    [link] [comments]

    What is meant by ‘earnings season’?

    Posted: 15 Oct 2019 09:40 PM PDT

    A few stocks I own all spiked today [10/15] (UNH, JPM, JNJ), no complaints here, like at all- but I really didn't do my DD when first purchasing these stocks.

    Just last night I was attempting to understand my first 10-K report from UNH. (coincidentally, I didn't realize their next earnings report came out today [10/15]) I was also glossing over their 2nd quarter report (8-K?), but tbh I have no clue what to look for.

    Today I'm driving and hear on Bloomberg that 'earnings season is here, and UNH, JPM, and JNJ all jumped due to higher than expected earnings.'

    I have several questions;

    1) What is 'earning season', is it just the period of time shortly after a quarter has ended, where we can expect a report on the previous earnings from a company?

    And

    2) What metrics should I be looking at in 8-Ks? EPS compared to last quarter? Any crazy changes in debts and acquisitions? Free-cash flow? What else?

    Thanks to anyone who can provide clarity on the subject!

    Edit: additional question, should I be calculating Basic EPS or Diluted EPS?

    submitted by /u/Alex_Pike
    [link] [comments]

    Stocks for next recession...once in a lifetime opportunity kind

    Posted: 16 Oct 2019 05:56 AM PDT

    Taking a poll on list of stocks that you think are once in a lifetime buying opportunity when the next recession hits

    submitted by /u/dropbox005
    [link] [comments]

    Did people just panic-sell Pinterest today?

    Posted: 15 Oct 2019 04:22 PM PDT

    As the lockup expires today, the stock lost 2%... fundamentally I think Pinterest is a super-solid stock. Ad revenue could be much higher--they don't charge anywhere close to $FB. Also, I feel like there so much potential with AI-enhanced shopping... Pinterest is at the forefront. What are your thoughts? Worth buying?

    submitted by /u/KingInReddit
    [link] [comments]

    Tried Searching Reddit - Help Understand A Reverse Takeover

    Posted: 16 Oct 2019 12:14 AM PDT

    Any help is appreciated! Long story short I was at the ground floor of cannabis stocks and did well, and now medicinal psychedelic treatment is starting to gain ground, first through several decriminalization efforts and facilities such as the John Hopkins Psychedelic treatment facility (I believe 60 minutes did a piece this past Sunday).

    There have been several companies pop up regarding the research and use of psychedelics, but one may go Public through a RTO and has caught my eye because one of the directors is Bruce Linton, formerly of Canopy Growth.

    Here is the article that was posted over in r/shroomstocks

    https://ceo.ca/@nasdaq/mind-medicine-inc-and-broadway-gold-mining-ltd-announce

    With my basic knowledge and research on google I believe Broadway Gold Mining will become Mind Medicine through purchases of Common Shares, skipping the IPO process.

    What I'm trying to figure out is if buying shares in Broadway Gold Mining now will become shares of Mind Medicine later if the transition successfully takes place. I believe the article states an 8:1 ratio, which to my untrained mind makes me think buying 8 shares of BGM now will equate to 1 share of Mind Medicine later.

    Any info is greatly appreciated!

    submitted by /u/cactusbanger
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment